Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Nehru the Damaja posted:

DM is going to try a variation of the optional flank rules. I'd describe it as a step between no flank rules and the DMG ones. Positioning alone doesn't confer advantage, but any enemy engaged with two opponents at melee range (which can include the attacker) can be "flanked" by using Help as a bonus action rather than a full action.

It's a couple hours out til we get to try it out but I think it sounds like a pretty good way to handle it. Any thoughts?

So one person uses "flank" as a bonus action, and another person flanking the creature claims the flanking bonus? Or everyone else can claim the flank bonus? Until the flanker's next turn?

I think you're onto a good idea.

(In the heartbreaker I'm slowly building, helping a party member is part of the basic action economy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I felt like advantage was too good for flanking. So I made it the same as cover. Enemy takes a minus 2 to ac.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kibner posted:

If you just want to do the RP thing with him, Fall of Magic is good. It doesn't have any dice rolls but is about learning how to improve as a group with prompts. It has the players tell there story of traveling to the end of the world with the last powerful magician as magic is dying.

Now that I typed this out, it may not be the best idea for a six year old, although they do have a video of a bunch of little kids playing the game.

Haha yeah, thanks though. Six is this weird age where they really want to do older things, but have this major disability called "being six."

I'll check it (and the other suggestion, thanks) out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Haha yeah, thanks though. Six is this weird age where they really want to do older things, but have this major disability called "being six."

I'll check it (and the other suggestion, thanks) out.

If nothing else, here is that video I was talking about with some young kids playing it. They seem to be a bit older than six, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bgr-uy-PU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My six year old was listening to us play a bit of dnd (we PG'd it up a bit so he could listen before bed time) and his eyes were like saucers. He loved rolling the dice and "helping" and deciding what to do.
What's the simplest game in this genre that we can hand hold him through? Nothing all that violent preferably (he was listening to players trying to catch/convince a rabbit who knew the way out of a forest)

(Sorry, I know this isn't the best thread for this probably)

Hero Kids, by Justin Halliday is one that I can guarantee works with 6-8 year old kids and is a kinda D&D-alike.

6 is probably too young to learn any RPG by reading the book, but with an adult or a slightly older kid to help he'll probably be fine with anything not overly complicated. I was 8 when my parents handed me the Mentzer red box Basic D&D (probably assuming it was a board game), and a couple weeks later I was somewhat successfully DMing for my friends and my little brother and he would have only been 6 or so at the time.

E: Also, and since you have a 6 year old you probably don't need telling, but you're gonna want to aim for Adventure Time or maybe The Hobbit, rather than Conan The Barbarian or Lord Of The Rings.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 24, 2017

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

AlphaDog posted:

E: Also, and since you have a 6 year old you probably don't need telling, but you're gonna want to aim for Adventure Time or maybe The Hobbit, rather than Conan The Barbarian or Lord Of The Rings.

I was shooting for more of a kingdom death: monster aesthetic - how can I show my child more gory tittymurder tia

(That recommendation is killer though. You're the best.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I felt it was important to say because I've read a few accounts of people somehow managing to gently caress this up when trying to RPG with children.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So my group is about to finish up Curse of Strahd in a few weeks and we're looking at what's next, but I've not seen any official, not homebrewed campaigns that really knock my socks off, and don't remember what people considered highly reviewed in here. Is there anything that goes level 10-20 in the official material right now? What is good from level 1 on other than Strahd?

I'm homebrewin' hard with a madcap antics high-shenanigan evil campaign for my table, but the other DM that just ran Strahd has learned how nice it is to DM pre-written campaigns and doesn't want to homebrew or run other people's homebrews unless they are solid.

I remember one campaign was being completely poo poo on in this thread but I don't remember which one because it was being abbreviated a bunch. Was it Out of the Abyss that was being panned?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Paramemetic posted:

I remember one campaign was being completely poo poo on in this thread but I don't remember which one because it was being abbreviated a bunch. Was it Out of the Abyss that was being panned?

It's Princes of the Apocalypse and Horde of the Dragon Queen that are the iffy ones.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

bewilderment posted:

It's Princes of the Apocalypse and Horde of the Dragon Queen that are the iffy ones.

Princes looked straight up bad but Horde of the Dragon Queen seemed okay on my quick look over. I run kobolds tho and am just really excited to have a BBEG that I literally worship as a curveball. I'd be a player, not the DM, so without spoilering too much in what way is it not so good so I can let the DM know and see what he thinks before he commits on it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Paramemetic posted:

Princes looked straight up bad but Horde of the Dragon Queen seemed okay on my quick look over. I run kobolds tho and am just really excited to have a BBEG that I literally worship as a curveball. I'd be a player, not the DM, so without spoilering too much in what way is it not so good so I can let the DM know and see what he thinks before he commits on it?

It's not really a curveball since the bad guy is pretty obvious from session 1 or 2.

The start of the campaign has too many fights, and literally has an 'unwinnable boss fight' setup. It was written while bits of 5e were being finalised so some of the encounters are off challenge-wise.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

bewilderment posted:

It's not really a curveball since the bad guy is pretty obvious from session 1 or 2.

The start of the campaign has too many fights, and literally has an 'unwinnable boss fight' setup. It was written while bits of 5e were being finalised so some of the encounters are off challenge-wise.

I mean that the BBEG is going to be a dragon of some sort is pretty obvious from the module name, I meant more that it's a curveball to the party generally and an opportunity for sick RP if every time we see the dragon I go "whoa, you own."

Okay, so it just needs adjustment and tweaking from the DM for possibly being a quick wipe with unbalanced encounters?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

On the topic of improvisation, I'm running a 5e campaign for the first time and its our first D&D game as a group in like 6 years. I'm having a bit of trouble balancing encounter so that they aren't either hilariously easy or completely unfair.

What is the best way to fix a broken or imbalanced encounter on the fly? I don't want to make every combat an auto-win, but I don't want to wipe the party because I miscalculated and put too many enemies or too-difficult enemies in a room.

Using the table in the DMs guide tells me that I should use the following table for my party (4 level 3 characters - cleric, monk, hunter, sorcerer):
Easy: 300
Medium: 600
Hard: 900
Deadly: 1600

I'll give an example of a re-tooled encounter.

One of the earlier combats for the party was against two ogres the party caught unaware. (CR 2 - 450 XP each - 900 total, hard). The party had the option to skip the ogres or fight them. The fight was supposed to be on the high end of hard, but winnable. It became readily apparent to me about 3 rounds in that the party would wipe if I didn't change something (which I really didn't want to do for our second session back after such a long hiatus, I am pretty sure this may have caused participation in later sessions to drop). On the fly I cut the HP of the ogres to about 60% and this seemed to work OK. The party won but took some serious beatings in the process.

Is that the best way to handle a re-balance? I'm fine with party members dying through stupidity or just bad luck against a tough challenge, but don't want to kill them because of a balance problem.

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I wrote a guide on how to make "medium" difficulty encounters that can be used as a baseline of what an encounter should be, which you can then adjust upwards from there.

Cranking up the HP is a perfectly fine way to make an encounter harder, since combat is largely about efficiency and endurance.

If you want to be more "fair" about it, dig into the capabilities of your players and math out how much damage they can put out per round (using different abilities), and then plot the expected HP value from there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

lifg posted:

So one person uses "flank" as a bonus action, and another person flanking the creature claims the flanking bonus? Or everyone else can claim the flank bonus? Until the flanker's next turn?

I think you're onto a good idea.

(In the heartbreaker I'm slowly building, helping a party member is part of the basic action economy.)

Haha it was apparently designed to make sure that my familiar can't just be a free advantage machine forever. But that's fine -- the system as is makes it plenty easy for the owl to drop Help action anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You don't need any flanking for them to use help, do you? My rogue has been doing it with his tressym for bow sneak attacks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You don't need any flanking for them to use help, do you? My rogue has been doing it with his tressym for bow sneak attacks.

You know what, you might be right. I mean you don't need flanking for help in general but I thought under this custom rule I did. When I think back to how it played out, that may not be the case.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My six year old was listening to us play a bit of dnd (we PG'd it up a bit so he could listen before bed time) and his eyes were like saucers. He loved rolling the dice and "helping" and deciding what to do.
What's the simplest game in this genre that we can hand hold him through? Nothing all that violent preferably (he was listening to players trying to catch/convince a rabbit who knew the way out of a forest)

Star Wars RPG :v:

Come to think of, theme/genre aside, it doesn't seem like THAT terrible for a kid. The dice are colour-coded, and the pregens even have the pool ready to go, it's symbols rather than numbers (so counting instead of getting lost with plus and minus)...

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I can see where mastershakeman is coming from. A good tactical battle entrenched in the rules can be fun. It becomes a challenge in it self like a chess game. Though, I don't think 5e is really the system for that style of play. There really aren't enough rules to allow for it. Maybe I'm wrong and I haven't been doing it right, but all the battles I've ran that followed that formula in 5e tend to be rather boring for me as the GM. The rules definitely need to facilitate tactics more if that style of play is to be sought after.

The lovely thing is that there isn't really a decent section in the hand book to help DMs and players to act more creatively in combat. 5e is written like a tactical game, but it fails at that, while the simplicity of the rules and the advantage/disadvantage subsystem really lends itself to creativity.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Generic Octopus posted:

I really like Ryuutama, it's pretty kid-friendly in regards to both content and complexity.

I will second Ryuutama. It's really not complicated at all, and the built in feel and fluff is innocent and cute without being overly childish.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Looking up Ryuutama, it sounds like a fun game to run for the kids at the library I work at. Any other comments on the game? It sounds pretty mellow.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Vengarr posted:

I use KFC and 5e Tools more than the actual books at this point.

Wait so someone already made D&D Beyond and made it better? This is somewhat hilarious to me. But unsurprising. If only they had an iPad app.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Looking up Ryuutama, it sounds like a fun game to run for the kids at the library I work at. Any other comments on the game? It sounds pretty mellow.

The default game tone/assumption is pretty tame/mellow; basically, the world is sustained by 4 dragons, who feed off the stories collected by Ryuujin, the GM-character. So in the fiction the GM is basically running around looking for/causing stuff to happen so they can record good stories. Everyone in my group said at some point or another that it read like a TRPG version of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, if that gives you any context.

All that said, the tone can vary wildly depending on the GM's choice of Ryuujin (there are four types, which range from the laid-back Green who collect stories about adventure & exploration, to the somewhat menacing Black, who collects grim stories of drama & death) and how the world is constructed.

For instance, my table decided that the world was shaped like a d20, and sector 1 was where the corpse of a great demon fell after battle with a god generations ago. Though dead, a great miasma billows forth from the crater where its corpse is said to lay, and all manner of foul monsters spring forth from it to terrorize the world. The various kingdoms of the world have united to try & hold them at bay, but containment is practically impossible; as such, very few people willingly venture from the cities & villages for fear of the monsters, which became a crisis of its own since so few stories could be recorded & fed to the Dragons. So an independent organization was created to randomly select people by lottery to go forth and adventure (dubbed the Emergency Volunteer Independent Lottery).

So yea, you can run the gamut from "friendly game about delivering bread to the neighboring village" to "the world is a horrible place on the constant brink of death please make it stop."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

http://planescape.com/ Shared by the official Facebook page.

EDIT: And Beamdog's. A Planescape EE would be nice but they would try an insert a new companion or something and... :smithicide:

Kavak fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 24, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kavak posted:

http://planescape.com/ Shared by the official Facebook page.

EDIT: And Beamdog's. A Planescape EE would be nice but they would try an insert a new companion or something and... :smithicide:

Why would that be bad. None of the new companions or anything in the earlier entries were intrusive and even if you did dislike them you could just not use them.

While I would like a Planescape EE I do hope we would also get a book as well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would that be bad. None of the new companions or anything in the earlier entries were intrusive and even if you did dislike them you could just not use them.

While I would like a Planescape EE I do hope we would also get a book as well.

Tell that to the Red Wizard battle you're forced to do when you meet Neera :v:

But seriously, Planescape's companions tie very tightly into the plot and themes of the game, and adding another one would feel very fanfictiony. I hope they keep things to bug fixing and cut content.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has anyone played something like a 3 Warlock 17 Fighter as an archer battlemaster? It'd take til level 8 to really get things online but with UA you could make a longbow with arrow smites your pact weapon, have Hex, have a big strong Mage Armor via invocation, and Warlock could fill in for the missing extra attack while you delay Fighter 5 because Eldritch Blast would keep scaling.

I'm just looking for something fun that would spice up a Battlemaster archer. The Arcane Archer UA didn't really do it for me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Has anyone played something like a 3 Warlock 17 Fighter as an archer battlemaster? It'd take til level 8 to really get things online but with UA you could make a longbow with arrow smites your pact weapon, have Hex, have a big strong Mage Armor via invocation, and Warlock could fill in for the missing extra attack while you delay Fighter 5 because Eldritch Blast would keep scaling.

I'm just looking for something fun that would spice up a Battlemaster archer. The Arcane Archer UA didn't really do it for me.

You only get two smites per short rest, that eat on your valuable spell slots (for Hex, Darkness, or anything else) for 4d8 extra damage each (avg 18).

It's alright for flavor reasons and you don't have to worry about ammo or non-magical resistance, but it's strictly worse than using a Hand Crossbow from a numbers perspective. An always-on bonus attack with Sharpshooter is just that strong.

Either way, I'd recommend starting Fighter for the CON saves and switching to Warlock at 5 after you get your Extra Attack, or Fighter 1 then Warlock till 5 to get Extra Attack through your Invocation before switching back to Fighter. You likely want 6 (ASI)/7 (+1 sup die)/11 (Extra Attack 2) levels of Fighter and the rest in Warlock, also.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In other news I got tales of the Yawning Portal and it is pretty cool. If anyone has any questions I am willing to answer within 8 hours cause I need to sleep.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 25, 2017

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

What level ranges are the dungeons in it? Does it look good for using it piecemeal like speculated?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

You only get two smites per short rest, that eat on your valuable spell slots (for Hex, Darkness, or anything else) for 4d8 extra damage each (avg 18).

It's alright for flavor reasons and you don't have to worry about ammo or non-magical resistance, but it's strictly worse than using a Hand Crossbow from a numbers perspective. An always-on bonus attack with Sharpshooter is just that strong.

Either way, I'd recommend starting Fighter for the CON saves and switching to Warlock at 5 after you get your Extra Attack, or Fighter 1 then Warlock till 5 to get Extra Attack through your Invocation before switching back to Fighter. You likely want 6 (ASI)/7 (+1 sup die)/11 (Extra Attack 2) levels of Fighter and the rest in Warlock, also.

I must be missing something about the hand crossbow. What puts that over a longbow?

Also I think as written you can make any magical non melee weapon your pact weapon, so if you had a forge cleric or just found a +1 weapon, you could do the ritual to make that your pact weapon. I don't have the exact text on hand but I'm pretty sure they only specify melee for your initial pact weapon, not one you designate as such

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I must be missing something about the hand crossbow. What puts that over a longbow?

Also I think as written you can make any magical non melee weapon your pact weapon, so if you had a forge cleric or just found a +1 weapon, you could do the ritual to make that your pact weapon. I don't have the exact text on hand but I'm pretty sure they only specify melee for your initial pact weapon, not one you designate as such

1. Crossbow Expert feat lets you make an attack with a Bonus Action if you're wielding a Hand Crossbow. The damage die difference between ranged weapons matters little when the bulk of your damage output comes from Sharpshooter, so as I said, an always available bonus action attack is very strong.

2. As written you can make any magical weapon your pact weapon. Moonbow *creates* its own specific piece of equipment, though; you can't smite with a magical bow you picked up and made into your pact weapon.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
After a game last night, I was talking with the barbarian, who is doing absurd (compared to most current enemies) damage at level 6 using Great Weapon Mastery. I've done some light calculation in the past and it seems like fighters and rogues have a fairly nice damage curve that the barbarian is already near the end of - but also that the barbarian is going to gain fairly little damage beyond that between now and 20, and very little in the way of other "pillar" stuff on the side. In the meantime the GM is starting to inflate enemy HP to compensate but that just makes it one of those situations where if the barbarian goes out (or, god forbid, gets charmed), the rest of us will probably take a loss.

This is worrying to both of us and we were talking about how we could address it, as players, as a table, and along with the GM, both so he can be less imbalancing in the near future and age more gracefully later (it's a fun game outside of system gripes so we're hoping it goes a proper campaign length). Thoughts? Or are we just off base?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 25, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Caphi posted:

After a game last night, I was talking with the barbarian, who is doing absurd (compared to most current enemies) damage at level 6 using Great Weapon Mastery. I've done some light calculation in the past and it seems like fighters and rogues have a fairly nice damage curve that the barbarian is already near the end of - but also that the barbarian is going to gain fairly little damage beyond that between now and 20, and very little in the way of other "pillar" stuff on the side. In the meantime the GM is starting to inflate enemy HP to compensate but that just makes it one of those situations where if the barbarian goes out (or, god forbid, gets charmed), the rest of us will probably take a loss.

This is worrying to both of us and we were talking about how we could address it, as players, as a table, and along with the GM, both so he can be less imbalancing in the near future and age more gracefully later (it's a fun game outside of system gripes so we're hoping it goes a proper campaign length). Thoughts? Or are we just off base?

What's the rest of your party, for context?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MonsterEnvy posted:

In other news I got tales of the Yawning Portal and it is pretty cool. If anyone has any questions I am willing to answer within 8 hours cause I need to sleep.
Tell me, o bard, of the Tomb of Horrors.

Like, I know it's a cliche by this point, but I've always wanted to run it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tir McDohl posted:

What level ranges are the dungeons in it? Does it look good for using it piecemeal like speculated?
All of them expect a group of 4 to 5 players
The Sunless Citadel is for 1st to 3rd level characters
Forge of Fury is for 3rd to 5th
The Hidden Shine of Tamochan is for 5th level characters
White Plume Mountain is for 8th level characters
Dead in Thay is for 9th to 11th level characters
Against the Giants is for 11th level characters
Tomb of Horrors is for high level parties and but sending them in at any time after level 11 should work best.

It works very well for piecemeal the Dungeons and stuff can be put anywhere. You just need a plot hook to send the party over to the site of the dungeon and the details around it.

Bad Seafood posted:

Tell me, o bard, of the Tomb of Horrors.

Like, I know it's a cliche by this point, but I've always wanted to run it.

The Tomb of Horrors is dangerous but from looking at it becomes less so the higher level you are. (As you have the ability to take more punishment for messing up and falling for traps.) There are few traps that are instant kills, but they are pretty smuck baity and anyone who falls for them probably should have thought it through better. (Yes I will hold onto this cursed gem that was surrounded by skeletons that is pulsing with light and started glowing brighter and hotter after we used it.)

Going in at a lower level will make it more challenging but I don't recommend going with characters that you are attached to. It's much less dangerous then the original version but that makes it better for allowing established characters to go into at least.

Anything you would like to know about it in detail?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Awesome. I just preordered it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does Mearls apologize for his utter lack of talent, dedication, or workmanship in it at all?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arivia posted:

Does Mearls apologize for his utter lack of talent, dedication, or workmanship in it at all?

probably more than you put into this post

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh the Yawning Portal is described a bit along with its owner. (Along with facts that he is kind a jackass as he will refuse to pull people who went into Undermountain back up if they can't pay the fee.) Along with likely patrons of the tavern.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jesus, really, Elminster? The 5e Realms are turning into a parody of themselves.