Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In the rare instances I go somewhere and there is a TV on and it's on ESPN Classic (at this point I just think it's the bowling alley we used to take members to in my old job), I usually end up finding it a pleasant experience, but the only time I watch it at home is during the college football championship and then it's only as I'm flipping between all the ESPNs.

But no broadcast company is ever going to willingly give up a channel with that much clearance, like I bet it makes them money still. Maybe at some point Disney turns it into like Disney Classic or something but Disney has so many TV networks, half of whom they don't know what to use them for to begin with that they don't really need to start cannibalizing ESPN yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

In the rare instances I go somewhere and there is a TV on and it's on ESPN Classic (at this point I just think it's the bowling alley we used to take members to in my old job), I usually end up finding it a pleasant experience, but the only time I watch it at home is during the college football championship and then it's only as I'm flipping between all the ESPNs.

But no broadcast company is ever going to willingly give up a channel with that much clearance, like I bet it makes them money still. Maybe at some point Disney turns it into like Disney Classic or something but Disney has so many TV networks, half of whom they don't know what to use them for to begin with that they don't really need to start cannibalizing ESPN yet.

Considering they're contractually committed to an ACC Network I wonder if that's what becomes of it, somewhat similar to Speed becoming SEC Network.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

C. Everett Koop posted:

Considering they're contractually committed to an ACC Network I wonder if that's what becomes of it, somewhat similar to Speed becoming SEC Network.

Speed became FS1.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Speed became FS1.

I thought Fox Soccer became FS1?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Fox Soccer became FXX

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/844710423081488384

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

C. Everett Koop posted:

SEC network is owned by ESPN, Speed is owned by Fox.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I feel for the guy, but it's also really hard to be too impacted by an account named JRsBBQ

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/rembert/status/844711898532761600

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TAke a look at this Y'ALL

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/844705934492471296

This should end well

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Speed became FS1.

Speed ran out of Charlotte, right? I'm trying to figure out where my confusion came from other than me being real dumb.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
CSN Bay Area and CSN California will become NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports California on April 2nd, respectively.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Speed ran out of Charlotte, right? I'm trying to figure out where my confusion came from other than me being real dumb.

That's correct.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know how every drat game of the World Baseball Classic had been covered on MLB Network?

Well that meant that ESPN only had the Spanish-language rights and guess what that means! :munch:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 23, 2017

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Isn't this guy still the actual sheriff? He's literally never in Wisconsin.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

Yes, he still is, and when an inmate died in his jail, his response to criticism was "I JUST GOT DONALD TRUMP ELECTED, WHO IS THIS PERSON." When said person was, I believe, a county elected official (or some elected official in the area).

No, I'm not making that up.

e: fixed a typo.

iospace fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 24, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Yes, and people keep dying under weird circumstances in his jails.

Like..."We locked this guy in a shower running at a temp of 185 degrees for two and a half hours until his skin started to peel off like a roasted chicken" weird

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

So, does Lavar Ball get his own debate show out of all of this, or does he just become a regular guest on someone else's show?

If you haven't watched ESPN today or listened to ESPN Radio, Lavar Ball went on First Take and did what even Skip Bayless could never accomplish; deliver such scorching hot takes that even Stephen A. couldn't keep up.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/video-lavar-ball-gets-into-screaming-match-of-first-take-with-stephen-a-smith-and-he-won-184541883.html

I have to admit that is was surprisingly entertaining for the worst television I've ever listened to.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So we got a bidding war for Romo?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/845361367712514049

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does anyone else feel Jim Nantz is out of place calling College Basketball, NFL?

He's not a horrible play by play guy by any stretch, but it just feels like his strong suit is golf, and pretty much golf. I get this Ivy League WASP-as-gently caress vibe off the guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh he's terribly out of place but he's pretty clearly CBS's top guy

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was gonna say CBS should start thinking about a succession plan for Nantz, like NBC did with Costas/Tirico. But they'll probably just keep him in the booth forever until he has a heart attack over his toast not being the proper shade.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Oh he's terribly out of place but he's pretty clearly CBS's top guy

I seem to recall him being a decent studio host for the NFL on CBS pregame show, but I imagine having Jerry Glanville, Deion Sanders and Dan Marino helped out with that immensely.

Golf really seems to be his bread and butter, where his skills need to be focused on.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everything CBS does caters to geriatrics

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Everything CBS does caters to geriatrics

Explains Phil Simms

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Explains Phil Simms

and like 95% of their programming

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

and like 95% of their programming

i assume that the ads for kat denning's show are 95% boner pills, c/d

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Out of the "Big 4" I've been trying to figure out who does the worst out of all the networks in regards to sports programming

NBC seems do very good SNF, NHL, and Auto Racing. But they seem like they gently caress up when it comes to the Olympics, and on the rare occasion? I've seen a Horse racing pre-race show pre-empt qualifications for the Indy 500.
ABC/ESPN? 30 for 30 is good. MLB coverage seems "meh". IndyCar is "meh" (but really did a good job by hiring Pit Phro for stats), CFB seems good when you remove the hot takes from the likes of Mark May and others. First Take, PTI, ATH are all awful and seem to litter their network with awful content though. Sporscenter is also a shadow of it's former self.
FOX? NASCAR coverage sucks. IMSA seems to be in decline after they dumped Varsha. Baseball? Awful. Joe Buck. NFL? A bit better, but Joe Buck again kinda pisses over that. CFB? Seems to be ESPN-esque, so not bad. FS1 is also garbage
CBS? Masters are good. March Madness is in decline. CFB/SEC seems to be doing well, but they're clearly bias. NFL? Awful. Awful. Awful all around.

Feels like it would be 1. NBC, 2. ESPN, 3A Fox and 3B CBS. Honestly it feels like the major albatross around ESPN and Fox's neck is the embrace of hot takes. ESPN especially could be a lot better if not for that. Also feels like Fox would improve if they fired Joe Buck, and CBS would also improve if they pushed Nantz back to being a studio guy.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 25, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Feels like it would be 1. NBC, 2. ESPN, 3A Fox and 3B CBS. Honestly it feels like the major albatross around ESPN and Fox's neck is the embrace of hot takes. ESPN especially could be a lot better if not for that.

It'd be interesting to compare these to ratings.

I don't really disagree about anything in particular, but other than SNF (and the olympics I guess) I wonder how many people actually care that NBC is doing a decent job?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

It'd be interesting to compare these to ratings.

I don't really disagree about anything in particular, but other than SNF (and the olympics I guess) I wonder how many people actually care that NBC is doing a decent job?

Well yeah.

I mean I only know of the job NBC has been doing because of me watching their coverage of NASCAR, Indy and F1. No one here would know if for example, Rick Allen flubbed a broadcast, but we all know what it's like to be subjected guys ranging from Mark May to Jim Nantz

(Rick Allen is actually a solid broadcaster fwiw. Just using him as an example)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Out of the "Big 4" I've been trying to figure out who does the worst out of all the networks in regards to sports programming

NBC seems do very good SNF, NHL, and Auto Racing. But they seem like they gently caress up when it comes to the Olympics, and on the rare occasion? I've seen a Horse racing pre-race show pre-empt qualifications for the Indy 500.
ABC/ESPN? 30 for 30 is good. MLB coverage seems "meh". IndyCar is "meh" (but really did a good job by hiring Pit Phro for stats), CFB seems good when you remove the hot takes from the likes of Mark May and others. First Take, PTI, ATH are all awful and seem to litter their network with awful content though. Sporscenter is also a shadow of it's former self.
FOX? NASCAR coverage sucks. IMSA seems to be in decline after they dumped Varsha. Baseball? Awful. Joe Buck. NFL? A bit better, but Joe Buck again kinda pisses over that. CFB? Seems to be ESPN-esque, so not bad. FS1 is also garbage
CBS? Masters are good. March Madness is in decline. CFB/SEC seems to be doing well, but they're clearly bias. NFL? Awful. Awful. Awful all around.

Feels like it would be 1. NBC, 2. ESPN, 3A Fox and 3B CBS. Honestly it feels like the major albatross around ESPN and Fox's neck is the embrace of hot takes. ESPN especially could be a lot better if not for that. Also feels like Fox would improve if they fired Joe Buck, and CBS would also improve if they pushed Nantz back to being a studio guy.

I'm strangely ok with Indy 500 qualifying, something that only the hardcore fans really care about, gets pre-empted for a main event thing, especially if it's Triple Crown (which, for most people, is the only time that they care about horse racing). Not that it matters because the 500 is on ABC/ESPN right now.

Also, I like ATH, especially when a hot take gets shut down and how. Their baseball coverage is fine, nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible. I think baseball especially gets judged differently because you get so many games with a crew you're familiar with (and is innately familiar with the team) so when you have a different crew, it's jarring.

Also also, I must be one of the minority of people who think Joe Buck is simply "ok". Are there better announcers for NFL? Yes. Are there worse? Yup (I'm looking at you, Gruden).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Joe Buck and Jon Gruden are both good :colbert:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Olympics aren't even that bad. The tape delay poo poo sucks but is pretty much just the nature of the beast. And the production of everything is loving great plus the commentary for the major events is stellar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Their internet streaming was a lot better this Olympics, I didn't even need to VPN this time, and they made better choices with their side networks so I caught more on TV. I watched almost nothing on NBC proper but still had a positive watching experience.

The opening/closing ceremony thing is still hosed up though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Olympics are poo poo. No other country does that tape delay bullshit or assumes that unless someone from YOUR country has a shot at a medal, you don't care. Their excuse is "it gets ratings" but they've never tried it any other way so how do they know?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
NBC's hockey coverage is actually poo poo. Constant terrible camera angles for no good reason, they're terrible at giving information (what a penalty is and who took it until the PK is already 20 seconds old), their talking heads are just as inept as the rest of the sports world with the added bonus of most of them being failures at the sport they're paid to talk about (Hey Mike Milbury), and god forbid you're watching a game during horse racing season. To consider them the best at anything can't possibly be anything more than damning with faint praise

Benne posted:

International House of Hot Takes indeed

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 25, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

Joe Buck of the last 3-4 years has been great.

His shtick now is "you all hate me and I know it but you fuckers are stuck with me" and it's moved him to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

NBC's hockey coverage is actually poo poo. Constant terrible camera angles for no good reason, they're terrible at giving information (what a penalty is and who took it until the PK is already 20 seconds old), their talking heads are just as inepts as the rest of the sports world with the added bonus of most of them being failures at the sport they're paid to talk bcc about (Hey Mike Milbury), and god forbid you're watching a game during horse racing season. To consider them the best at anything can't possibly be anything more than damning with faint praise

Ah, so IndyCar is not the only sport that happens too?

Yeah my complaint wasn't so much that horse racing gets shown, but it's rather that NBC didn't know how to juggle qualifying all that well. They pushed it off the air completely in favor of PRE AND POST RACE of one of the races...I cannot recall. I think now-a-day's the protocol is to air it on CNBC. But that year, they didn't even do that. It really was stupid.

In order to air qualifications btw? You really need to have a channel/stream with a wide open window for most of the day. Case in point? here's how ESPN covered it in the 2000's:

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Olympics are poo poo. No other country does that tape delay bullshit or assumes that unless someone from YOUR country has a shot at a medal, you don't care. Their excuse is "it gets ratings" but they've never tried it any other way so how do they know?

I think the moment I went "gently caress this" was when they bailed out of the closing ceremonies in 2012 to show this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Practice

Benne posted:

Buck got his rear end booed loudly by Indians fans during the World Series watch party I was at. How he acted that series is still made fun of to this day by Clevelanders. He's a joke.

(his dad though? loving owned)

Gruden is fun. I view him as the heir apparent of Dick Vermeil. I do think he'd be better suited doing CFB though.