Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Jt man :ughh: Two of the top ten worst moves in Survivor history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Jt man :ughh: Two of the top ten worst moves in Survivor history

JT is now the proud owner of 2 of those moves.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I for one was expecting some quality Survivor playing from JT

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Malcolm did say in his RHAP exit that he was warned about JT

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I wonder who told him.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

Did he really? He told Brad the vote wasn't going to be on him, then went back and told his tribe he told Brad that, so they could vote for Brad.

Yah I heard this too, so I'm not sure why they are so convinced he tried to screw them, seems like he covered his bases well.

Of course the editing probably skipped him immediately going back on this and arguing for someone else again. Its really hard to say who is playing well and who isn't when the editing leaves out so much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From what we saw he went and told Brad that they were voting for Sierra, and then when his tribe was debating flipping the vote to Brad he said "I just told him he was safe." We never saw him tell them he told Brad they were voting for Sierra, and if he did you would think they would have not voted for Sierra.

From what we saw he lied (by omission) to his tribe and screwed them by telling the other tribe who they were voting for. We never saw him admit to that and it would seemingly be a big thing if he had because then it would be on them for not changing their vote. But what we saw puts it squarely on JT.

Edit: Just listened to RHAP and Malcolm confirms that JT never told them he gave away Sierra was the target. That he panicked at the last minute and was trying to get them to get off Sierra but wouldn't tell them why.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 25, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Max posted:

I wonder who told him.

I'm guessing Fishbach?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why would Fishbach warn against JT? They're really good buds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Malcolm's RHAP reaction to the twist as "I hate it because it screwed me and I had no chance to talk to them, but I can't get mad because this is what we love about the game."

Interesting that he says he was close with Sandra and was just playing along with JT about targeting her. And he says Aubrey was his "ride or die."

Baddog
May 12, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

That he panicked at the last minute and was trying to get them to get off Sierra but wouldn't tell them why.

Doesnt that count? He told them to a) vote brad and then b) at least don't vote Sierra.

I think perhaps sandra was just too inflexible and didn't want to switch from her plan no matter what new information came out or anything anyone said.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I love JT but that was idiotic. Like, if you're going to betray your tribe and give away who they're targeting why not finish it? Do that tribe flip on Sandra. There's a chance it screws you if they don't listen, vote out Malcolm, and leave you outnumbered on a tribe you betrayed. But oh look... that's where you are now. At least then you were trying to make a power move on your tribe to take control. I don't really know what JT was hoping to accomplish the way he played. I guess he expected Sandra to go and that he'd be able to manage the fallout of betrayal with "we had to get Sandra out".

J.T. did tell them to vote Sandra. The consensus seems to be that J.T. kept trying to push them to do it, then halfway through realized that they weren't going to budge and that he had screwed everything up. That's when he panicked and tried to get everyone to move away from Sierra. Malcolm's interview says that what we didn't see was J.T. looking really shattered towards the end of the whole pre-vote huddles. He had no choice but to rejoin his tribe in trying to vote out Sierra. Assuming the idol wasn't in play, there were three outcomes:

1. J.T. sticks with his tribe. They manage to vote Sierra out, everything's good

2. J.T. flips to try to vote out Sandra. 5 votes for Sierra, 5 votes for Malcolm. Nobody budges, so rock draw.

3. J.T. and Malcolm both flip. 2 votes for Sandra, 4 votes for Sierra, 5 votes for Malcolm. Malcolm goes home and you look dumb.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

who was the last quit we had, colton in BvW?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

J.T. did tell them to vote Sandra. The consensus seems to be that J.T. kept trying to push them to do it, then halfway through realized that they weren't going to budge and that he had screwed everything up. That's when he panicked and tried to get everyone to move away from Sierra. Malcolm's interview says that what we didn't see was J.T. looking really shattered towards the end of the whole pre-vote huddles. He had no choice but to rejoin his tribe in trying to vote out Sierra. Assuming the idol wasn't in play, there were three outcomes:

1. J.T. sticks with his tribe. They manage to vote Sierra out, everything's good

2. J.T. flips to try to vote out Sandra. 5 votes for Sierra, 5 votes for Malcolm. Nobody budges, so rock draw.

3. J.T. and Malcolm both flip. 2 votes for Sandra, 4 votes for Sierra, 5 votes for Malcolm. Malcolm goes home and you look dumb.

rock draw honestly is probably the safer political move there but i could see everyone coming to a consensus to just vote out hali

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

its me glenda posted:

rock draw honestly is probably the safer political move there but i could see everyone coming to a consensus to just vote out hali

Hali would be the 'safe' vote, but the one with the least long-term benefit, since Hali might be able to rejoin them on the merge (remember that original Mana was down 7-10 at that point). Since they had the majority it makes sense that they'd try and get out an original Nuku while they still could.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

its me glenda posted:

Julie, season 29 (San Juan del Sur)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My point (which I probably didn't verbalize well) is that if JT wanted to use the other tribe to take out Sandra then the only way it really works is if he has the numbers to take control of his tribe. So like if he could get Malcolm and Varner to vote for Sandra but not Audrey and Michaela (I'm picking randomly) he'd be risking a rock draw in a regular tribal. But if he can get the other tribe to throw five votes on her then he can just take her out and take control.

That doesn't seem to have been an actual option based on Malcolm's post eviction interviews but its the only way the move makes sense to me. JT had three plays that I think could have worked out for him.

1) Shut up, sit back, vote Sierra, and hope it all works out and they take out Sandra somehow and if Sierra goes just keep trying to play the game in his tribe.

2) Find 3 votes for Sandra before Tribal and tell Brad in Tribal to target her. Brad could have betrayed him and still voted out Malcolm, but it makes the easy vote 8-3 Sandra-Sierra and leaves his 3 in control of the tribe.

3) Go crazy and openly declare that you're voting for Sandra so either people can join him or they can risk a 5-5 rock draw. This seems dumb for a couple of reasons but it probably would have worked to get Sandra out at least.

The mistake JT and Hali were making was treating that Tribal like a merge one where they were choosing between alliances. That may have been what it felt like but it wasn't the reality. Both were going to have to go home to the tribes that they just openly courted betraying and that makes them top targets for the tribe next Tribal.

For Hali I kind of understand it because she was clearly the target anyway and Brad and Sierra were all but threatening her in that Tribal. But for JT he seemed to actually be fitting in well with his tribe and was getting some positive feedback from Malcolm on targeting Sandra. So by doing what he did he undercuts any trust he had built (and as luck would have it, loses Malcolm).

The other mistake JT made was not just coming clean that he told Brad about Sierra. Because there's a big difference between "I think we should change the vote off Sierra just because" and "We need to change the vote off Sierra because I told them we were voting for her." He was trying to cover up his betrayal but they just ended up figuring it out on their own when she was given the idol.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I read that Funny 115 post about Brad Culpepper a week or two back and I didn't even realize that I was somehow brainwashed by Candice. So now I'm hoping for some Culpepper redemption. His antiquing bit was adorable.

also Sandra needs to win.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm still confused as to what actually happened at tribal. Did JT tell Culpepper that it was Sierra? Is that how he knew to tell Tai where to play the idol? Was this pre-planned or an audible after Hali said vote for strength?

This twist is potentially fun, but it was too chaotic to enjoy for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm still confused as to what actually happened at tribal. Did JT tell Culpepper that it was Sierra? Is that how he knew to tell Tai where to play the idol? Was this pre-planned or an audible after Hali said vote for strength?

This twist is potentially fun, but it was too chaotic to enjoy for me.

he told brad hey sorry man but its sierra and i gotta vote with them, brad was all okay. brads tribe convened and decided they were gonna idol sierra and vote malcolm. jt runs to his tribe and tells them that he told brad he was safe and nothing else. jt runs back to brad and asks them to vote sandra, brad tells jt no deal, we're idoling and voting malcolm. here is where jt messed up

he runs over to his current tribe, and tells them they have to vote tai. the tribe asks why. jt like a child who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar wont fess up on the why. tribe says they're not switching without a reason. jt stays quiet and just votes with them, knowing malcolm is a dead man.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the right move would have still been for sandra tribe to just cut hali and not fill jt in on it. jt winds up splitting his own vote, it goes 5-5, malcolm and hali dont vote, thats when you tell jt we're cutting hali. cuts a number from brad tribe thats just a swing vote that ain't helping the sandra tribe anyway. see: matt elrod and boston rob

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

its me glenda posted:

the right move would have still been for sandra tribe to just cut hali and not fill jt in on it. jt winds up splitting his own vote, it goes 5-5, malcolm and hali dont vote, thats when you tell jt we're cutting hali. cuts a number from brad tribe thats just a swing vote that ain't helping the sandra tribe anyway. see: matt elrod and boston rob

They removed the revote this season. A tie goes directly to rocks.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

They removed the revote this season. A tie goes directly to rocks.

you still have a period of time to come to a unanimous agreement (with the tied people not part of the discussion), and i doubt brad's tribe goes to rocks over hali ford.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

My point (which I probably didn't verbalize well) is that if JT wanted to use the other tribe to take out Sandra then the only way it really works is if he has the numbers to take control of his tribe. So like if he could get Malcolm and Varner to vote for Sandra but not Audrey and Michaela (I'm picking randomly) he'd be risking a rock draw in a regular tribal. But if he can get the other tribe to throw five votes on her then he can just take her out and take control.

That doesn't seem to have been an actual option based on Malcolm's post eviction interviews but its the only way the move makes sense to me. JT had three plays that I think could have worked out for him.

1) Shut up, sit back, vote Sierra, and hope it all works out and they take out Sandra somehow and if Sierra goes just keep trying to play the game in his tribe.

2) Find 3 votes for Sandra before Tribal and tell Brad in Tribal to target her. Brad could have betrayed him and still voted out Malcolm, but it makes the easy vote 8-3 Sandra-Sierra and leaves his 3 in control of the tribe.

3) Go crazy and openly declare that you're voting for Sandra so either people can join him or they can risk a 5-5 rock draw. This seems dumb for a couple of reasons but it probably would have worked to get Sandra out at least.

For 2, J.T. doesn't necessarily need three votes for Sandra. All he needed was for the other tribe to vote for Sandra, then he could flip and take her out. When the tribe goes back, he can buddy up with Malcolm, then they have three days at least to flip someone like Varner over to get a majority - without Sandra's centralizing presence he'd have an easier time making a crack. Which might be what he was hoping for that night, the other tribe just didn't want to play along. It's honestly a smarter move for them to eliminate Malcolm before Sandra - it will always be easy making a case to eliminate Sandra, while Malcolm is a harder sell as long as he can duck behind shields, especially once merge happens.

3 is the best GAME CHANGER move, but while it might have worked, well, Malcolm did the same thing last time he played and he didn't make it very much further. Mike also tried it in Worlds Apart and the gambit didn't really pay off (Tyler got spooked but that's natural when your name's on the chopping block).

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
JT showed how not to go rogue. He left no avenue of retreat, needed to fall on his sword to save Malcolm (because, hell, maybe he could salvage an anti-Sandra vote the next time), and now is exposed anyway, in a situation that absolutely no one should trust him any further on, with the added attraction of having eliminated his loyal ally. A cascading blunder of epic proportions. Hate to see Malcolm screwed that way, but I gotta admit - game-changer. Just a really incompetent one.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

its me glenda posted:

less laughter is right, assuming you don't count Terry as a quit in Second Chances. I only mention it because it was brought up in the thread, as I remember.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 26, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

For 2, J.T. doesn't necessarily need three votes for Sandra. All he needed was for the other tribe to vote for Sandra, then he could flip and take her out. When the tribe goes back, he can buddy up with Malcolm, then they have three days at least to flip someone like Varner over to get a majority - without Sandra's centralizing presence he'd have an easier time making a crack. Which might be what he was hoping for that night, the other tribe just didn't want to play along. It's honestly a smarter move for them to eliminate Malcolm before Sandra - it will always be easy making a case to eliminate Sandra, while Malcolm is a harder sell as long as he can duck behind shields, especially once merge happens.

3 is the best GAME CHANGER move, but while it might have worked, well, Malcolm did the same thing last time he played and he didn't make it very much further. Mike also tried it in Worlds Apart and the gambit didn't really pay off (Tyler got spooked but that's natural when your name's on the chopping block).

On 3, yeah, it could have worked to get out Sandra (as Malcolm got out Phillip) but it doesn't inherently improve his position going forward. It arguably hurts him since he's now come off as a kind of crazy player who you can't really trust.

That's the thing. Going rogue here means betraying 5 tribemates and putting them all at risk. So even if it works out the way JT wants with Sandra going, he had no guarantee of that so any of the other 4 should be sketched out. After all, what happened to Malcolm could have happened to any of them. That's why I think 2 would have been the middle ground play between "conservative play" and "game changer" because if you get a couple of people on your side before Tribal then (a) you're not betraying them and (b) you can make a more blatant push at Sandra and hopefully get the other tribe on board. That leaves you with way less post Tribal work to do.

I don't think the move was worth it at all since he seemed to be doing a good job integrating into his tribe and they weren't targeting his ally Brad. If I was JT I would have played for the merge there. But if he was set on making the Sandra move it should have been more premeditated/overt and not so reckless.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

JT will win this game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LostRook posted:

less laughter is right, assuming you don't count Terry as a quit in Second Chances. I only mention it because it was brought up in the thread, as I remember.

i feel like terrys situation is a little different than most quits since his son was about to undergo heart surgery. I feel like he and his son probably come back on the next blood vs water along with shane and boston

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
i've found the single greatest sentence i've ever seen written about survivor

quote:

During pre-game interviews for Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains, it was revealed by Jeff Probst that if Randy [Bailey] had reached the Loved Ones Challenge in Survivor: Gabon, nobody would have been there to see him.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
if JT's goal was to protect Malcolm all he had to do was tell Brad that Malcolm has an idol and that they can't vote for him lmao

he would gain (fake) loyalty in Brad's eyes and Sandra would be packing her bags. win-win.

lol idiot.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Capsaicin posted:

Probst: "And here we have Randy's closest loved one, an intern who has $5 on him in the office pool and really wants him to win!"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watching that last tribal again, I think Hali comes out OK on her current tribe. She was working to move the vote, and didn't give away the presence of the idol. JT on the other hand . . .

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Oh that's a good one. Another contender
before the show started: Jeff Probst performed Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” for the contestants,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Max posted:

Watching that last tribal again, I think Hali comes out OK on her current tribe. She was working to move the vote, and didn't give away the presence of the idol. JT on the other hand . . .

It doesn't exactly say good things about J.T. when he was effectively out done by Hali.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I guess J.T. is just not the Survivor mastermind we had thought he was after all!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

After Hali's tribe pissed her off, I don't understand why she didn't out Tai's idol.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

After Hali's tribe pissed her off, I don't understand why she didn't out Tai's idol.

1. She might not have known about it. Tai found the idol and showed it to his tribe, but Hali wasn't in the shot.

2. She'd be stuck in a really bad position if she's blatantly defied them like that. Like it or not, she's going back to camp with these people. They would honestly probably not mind throwing a challenge to both get rid of a Mana member and someone who's actively undermining them. The best thing for her is to lay low til the merge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Max posted:

Yeah, they could hold it against her that she thought about flipping but she was already at the bottom of the Tribe and they were pretty much antagonizing her during that thing by constantly questioning and quasi-threatening her.

The reasonable response would be for them to say "Ok, Hali, you were backed into a corner and you did what you thought you had to do. We can respect that." But in the worst case she's just in the same "odd man out" position she was in before Tribal.

Although if Brad knew that Hali was pushing for him to be the target he could certainly hold that grudge. And he seems to be the relative power of the Tribe. But again, she was already Target #1.

It was worse for JT because he seemed to actually be ingratiating himself with his tribe. Plus his tribe wasn't questioning/antagonizing him the way Hali's was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they could hold it against her that she thought about flipping but she was already at the bottom of the Tribe and they were pretty much antagonizing her during that thing by constantly questioning and quasi-threatening her.

The reasonable response would be for them to say "Ok, Hali, you were backed into a corner and you did what you thought you had to do. We can respect that." But in the worst case she's just in the same "odd man out" position she was in before Tribal.

Although if Brad knew that Hali was pushing for him to be the target he could certainly hold that grudge. And he seems to be the relative power of the Tribe. But again, she was already Target #1.

It was worse for JT because he seemed to actually be ingratiating himself with his tribe. Plus his tribe wasn't questioning/antagonizing him the way Hali's was.

Yeah, you can also see Sierra asking if it was her, and Hali soft comfirms it by saying "I'm trying to move the vote." Even if Brad is annoyed, Hali is probably good in Sierra's book. She's probably still at the bottom, you're right, but not in an active "lets just throw it and get rid of her" way.

• Locked thread