Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently I was wrong and my less than stellar reaction to the gyro controls was in fact wrong and I'm dumb and don't know how to play video games. Thanks for setting me straight guys. You are so much more skilled and amazing at Splatoon 2 than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Apparently I was wrong and my less than stellar reaction to the gyro controls was in fact wrong and I'm dumb and don't know how to play video games. Thanks for setting me straight guys. You are so much more skilled and amazing at Splatoon 2 than me.

Booyah!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope Shakedown Hawaii is a lot better than Retro City Rampage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had to work all day and miss out on the Testfire. But I got the weekend off. Gonna splat so many people.

Spacebump posted:

I hope Shakedown Hawaii is a lot better than Retro City Rampage.

Getting rid of the references is gonna go a long way.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lemming posted:

This is why nobody likes playing FPS's on PC, you constantly have to lift your hand to recalibrate the mouse position. It's a huge problem.

You can get a really huge mouse pad and drag your arm across it so you don't have to lift your hand too much during the actual action.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the Neo Golf game a cool chillout game? Othello is fun but it frustrates me because the computer is so much better and traps me. Would be nice to have something that lets me take a break from Zelda that's more slow paced.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You can get a really huge mouse pad and drag your arm across it so you don't have to lift your hand too much during the actual action.

or turn up the sensitivity like a gotdam normal person christ

i'm just picturing a bunch of old people swinging their mouse wildly all over the mousepad like they're riding a fuckin bouncy horse in an earthquake and the cursor moves like an inch

recentering gyro controls is good and cool though

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Wait a sec, those posts about lifting your mouse or dragging your arm weren't jokes...?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah, it's a really mitigatable thing that's overall a non-issue, I was just trying to refute the idea that a control scheme is necessarily bad if it requires frequent recalibration (not that Splatoon does; I usually do it only once or twice at the start because I fidget a lot between rounds)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i'm just picturing a bunch of old people swinging their mouse wildly all over the mousepad like they're riding a fuckin bouncy horse in an earthquake and the cursor moves like an inch

You really want a low sensitivity in most FPS games on the PC so your aim is more precise, unless you're playing something extremely jumpy and twitchy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The more beer I drink, the more likely I am to buy this NEO GEO golf game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

lower sensitivity is much better on PC for FPS games :) i see what you mean though

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Detective No. 27 posted:

The more beer I drink, the more likely I am to buy this NEO GEO golf game.

Same but bourbon and that tapping rhythm game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AlphaKeny1 posted:

lower sensitivity is much better on PC for FPS games :) i see what you mean though

get you a mouse that can do both

seriously though i know it varies by game but having your mouse sensitivity so low that you need to pick up and move the mouse is pretty :psyduck: to me

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Louisgod posted:

Sure all I'm saying is that it Zelda's frame dips are insanely noticeable after playing Splatoon. Normalizing a bit now but it was jarring at first.

Man, Zelda on docked mode stutters like crazy in some areas. I swear I'm only getting 10 frames in Korok Forest. It makes me wish I had an option to force portable resolution just to get a couple more frames.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm playing botw the way god intended. It's like week 3, i have put 40 or so hours in. I've made... 'progression' and it's fun as heck. im already looking forward to a replay where i actually do some sidequests. they're all piled up. I'm mainly doing shrine to shrine exploration. My path has been ridiculously random.

just so many good things in this game, discovering them is the best part. Ignoring the development of the game was the best decision ever

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 25, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

seriously though i know it varies by game but having your mouse sensitivity so low that you need to pick up and move the mouse is pretty :psyduck: to me

Sometimes you just gotta keep turning right man

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i meant the sensitivity is low enough that you have better accuracy/hit scan, not that it takes a whole arm length to just look right lol. turning it up is good for times when you're playing genji in OW or something.

i'd only really ever drag my hand across if i get flanked, which solves the problem of never needing to pick up the mouse and still having the sensitivity low enough for accuracy

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think having the Splatoon 2 test fire being at certain times made the Switch really click for me. I missed a couple test fires when the Splatoon 1 test fire cause of the large TV game systems are hooked up to being already in use. The second testfire I simply put it down on a small end table with its kick stand out and play normally. I like this little system

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Lemming posted:

I read this before and specifically tried it out, pressing y in handheld mode definitely changed the y axis for me. Maybe there was something else up but I imagine it should still work

hmm, weird. Hopefully I can catch another session this weekend and try it out again, but I tried multiple times and couldn't get the y-axis to recenter in handheld mode when leaning back in a chair, it would only center the x-axis so i had to sit up and look down a bit. however, if I took the joycons off and put them in my grip, the y-axis reentered no problem.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey perhaps if a game requires you to constantly recalibrate it then maybe it should t use that as a control option.

Every time you push ZR to aim your bow in Zelda it recalibrates in the same way.

Also I wish the aiming in Splatoon worked more like Zelda's. Not being able to use the stick to look up and down while gyro aiming is active was frustrating, as was not being able to tweak the x and y sensitivity of the gyro aiming.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think having the Splatoon 2 test fire being at certain times made the Switch really click for me. I missed a couple test fires when the Splatoon 1 test fire cause of the large TV game systems are hooked up to being already in use. The second testfire I simply put it down on a small end table with its kick stand out and play normally. I like this little system

Test fires should be all weekend. They have a better way of making them more convenient to take part in than making the console more portable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Test fire times being so limited means that I can't participate at all

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 25, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Test fires should be all weekend. They have a better way of making them more convenient to take part in than making the console more portable

I think I know why they're​ not; besides focusing the population so their stress testing is more effective, I'm guessing that only allowing people to play for a small amount of time is better for sales. The general wisdom is demos usually decease your sales, either from people realizing they don't like the game, or people who only sort of like it end up getting their fill. I know I'd play the gently caress out of it all weekend if I could and I'd still buy it, but I bet a lot of people wouldn't really feel the need to play after if they binged it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll be lucky to get two hours of the demo

Lemming posted:

The general wisdom is demos usually decease your sales.

Really? I'd figure it'd be the complete opposite, I thought a good demo builds all kinds of hype

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The effect of betas/demos on sales really depends on the game.

For example, the open beta for Overwatch was massively successful and really sold the game to a lot of people.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

FYI you stop having to recalibrate the gyro the more you get used to it.

People didn't learn how to mouse aim in an instant either, or least I remember flailing around in Quake at first. Cause I'm old.

Splatoon has been an excellent Zelda break sadly I can't get up at 4am

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The following page shows all of the amiibo supported in Mario Kart 8. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/amiibo/software/aabpa/index.html
Now I just need to transfer the Hank Hill Mii.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 25, 2017

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

chaleski posted:

Really? I'd figure it'd be the complete opposite, I thought a good demo builds all kinds of hype

Good demos build hype, but the problem is it takes non-negligible development time to build the demo out of an existing build such as hacking out bigger known bugs, which adds a point of failure which wouldn't have existed if the demo wasn't made at all. And if the demo is good, you end up with the possibility of someone getting their fill of the gameplay on the demo itself who would otherwise have bought the game if they had no other choice. If the demo is bad, you've just hosed up your marketing.

Basically building demos is risky which is why most companies don't do it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
anyone with any level of decent dual analog aim will probably do a lot better just turning the gyro off completely honestly, its really only there to give an option for people who have trouble using them. thats part of why it got appeal outside of the usual fps/shooter crowd.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

anyone with any level of decent dual analog aim will probably do a lot better just turning the gyro off completely honestly, its really only there to give an option for people who have trouble using them. thats part of why it got appeal outside of the usual fps/shooter crowd.

Fly away, troll

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Lemming posted:

Fly away, troll

what? how is it a troll to say that people who play a lot of shooters with dual analogs will probably get on better using dual analogs? would it be trolling to tell a pc player to use a mouse and keyboard instead of a pad? :confused:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There's no auto aim unlike most console shooters so I could see dual analog only players still having some issues.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

what? how is it a troll to say that people who play a lot of shooters with dual analogs will probably get on better using dual analogs? would it be trolling to tell a pc player to use a mouse and keyboard instead of a pad? :confused:

It would be a bad idea to suggest a person who usually plays FPS on a console to use a controller on a PC FPS.

The difference obviously isn't as big in this case but it is there. You will be a worse player without the gyro controls.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's no auto aim unlike most console shooters so I could see dual analog only players still having some issues.

im talking about people who spend a serious amount of time on console fps and probably turn off aim assist anyway (its actually a hindrance once you have a hell of a lot of practice on sticks!)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Logitech thumbshelf mice are unusable to me because I plant my thumb in place on the desk as a reference point and move the mouse with just my fingertrips. 1 inch of movement = 3 complete turns is how I've set up my sensitivity since Doom II. If i want to make smaller movements, I move my hand less.

Splatoon is the first console shooter I've ever played where I can concentrate on the actual game instead of just thinking TURN FASTER TURN FASTER TURN FASTER.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

im talking about people who spend a serious amount of time on console fps and probably turn off aim assist anyway (its actually a hindrance once you have a hell of a lot of practice on sticks!)

:fishmech:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

its fine to disagree but i dont see why you have to be hostile and/or simply reply with spam? it does nothing but poo poo up the thread. if you feel that strongly about my posts then simply set me on ignore and carry on if you are unable to stop yourself from responding with zero content replies.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Good points, now that I think about it the Battlefront demo was really fun but convinced there probably wasn't too much more to the game

Andrast posted:

The effect of betas/demos on sales really depends on the game.

For example, the open beta for Overwatch was massively successful and really sold the game to a lot of people.

The Tony Hawk demo came to mind for me, that must've been some of the best marketing in video game history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lemming posted:

This is why nobody likes playing FPS's on PC, you constantly have to lift your hand to recalibrate the mouse position. It's a huge problem.

What

• Locked thread