Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
It's rare to see a work of fiction that has this much contempt for its main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Eustace posted:

It's rare to see a work of fiction that has this much contempt for its main character.

Just to support your point, here's a post I made back in 2009:

Jedah posted:

I agree, Ippo does need a reality check. Everyone saw the Karasawa match and thought, "oh, wow! Maturity! Growth! the main character is becoming a Champion!"

Then, you know, a series of terrible fights happened, and Ippo apparently forgot how to box.

In 2017, Ippo still doesn't know how to box. And I'm pretty sure he still hasn't kissed Kumi, either.

:iiam:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Win the world championship or kiss the goddamn girl, Ippo.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I really need to catch up to you all, I figured by now Ippo would have been raw dogging his now-wife, Kumi

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
forget kissing, he needs to put that schlong to use

edit: beaten like a kamogawa gym fighter^

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Kumi is a babe IMO

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ElGroucho posted:

I really need to catch up to you all, I figured by now Ippo would have been raw dogging his now-wife, Kumi

It's a bit aggrevating being caught up on this and Berserk because then you have to eat new chapters being a whole lot of nothing.

At least Berserk is eye candy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tbp posted:

Kumi is a babe IMO

So many gorgeous women interested in Ippo, before learning of his beast underneath.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ippo needs to stop being the super polite, sexless, "I'm always going in to the ring like I'm going to lose" protagonist. The author doesn't seem to want to change his character but wrote a chapter where a literal line in the dirt was made that he has to cross to fight with the big boys. Feels like this manga doesn't know what it wants.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

imagine a mean spirited ippo

what made so many boxers great but also meant hard falls from grace. i guess george doesn't want to put ippo there.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There was that brief period prior to the Kojima fight where Ippo was pretty pissed off. Maybe that's all we'll ever get.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo is going to bang Kumi and became a bolder, more aggressive fighter as a result of finally Becoming A Man.

Didn't that happen in Baki?

edit: I'm (very) cautiously optimistic that they might be leading towards Ippo needing to change in some way. There's been a bunch of signals from various characters that Ippo is loving up and being lame, so hopefully something comes of it.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The slice of life chapters have always been funny, and Takamura is the best. I kinda wish there was less boxing, and more gag comedy.

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo is going to bang Kumi and became a bolder, more aggressive fighter as a result of finally Becoming A Man.

Didn't that happen in Baki?

Yeah, it worked like a charm for Baki. Unfortunately, Kumi's big bro, Ryou Mashiba, is much stronger now. He's the OPBF Lightweight Champ. So even if Ippo gets his girlfriend power-up, he still has to deal with her monster of a brother.

tbp posted:

Kumi is a babe IMO

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 25, 2017

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
Oh hey, a new chapter.

When's Ippo going to cross the line / make it to the world stage / kiss Kumi?!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

miyata is such a edgy tryhard. just go get knocked out already

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This whole "Ippo tries to figure out what he really wants" thing could lead somewhere good, but I'm not sure if I trust this comic enough to have faith in that. Like, it's true that he's just been kind of coasting along and boxing for some wishy-washy reasons, but I'm like 75% sure this will end with him saying "I just gotta stop doubting myself and continue doing what I've been doing!" and this will somehow result in him winning.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This comic will own if Ippo suddenly gets a bunch of tattoos and becomes super aggressive and violent. His next few matches end the careers of his opponents and Miyata withdraws from boxing out of fear of facing Ippo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ippo will finally kiss a girl and 3 chapters later takamura walks in on him/reporte/kumi/boxer's sister/doctor?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That Works posted:

Ya'll should read Rikudo to get a healthy dose of 'opposite of HnI' once in a while.

I just read all that's available in a day. Real good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just finished Rising and I'm really sad it's over.

Regarding "Ippo is bad and too polite and will go nowhere" talk I don't really want an edgier Ippo, and if he has to become a different person to enter the world stage then he doesn't need to enter the world stage.

He most definitely needs to get his dick wet though.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
ippo is a pure and chaste man and the temptations of the lesser sex will only ruin him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Regarding "Ippo is bad and too polite and will go nowhere" talk I don't really want an edgier Ippo, and if he has to become a different person to enter the world stage then he doesn't need to enter the world stage.

Eh, he could change his attitude some without changing the core of who he is. Just something as simple as him deciding that he wants to win for reasons other than just staying the course and following his coach's instructions would be good.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
its confirmed. kamogawa is a wight and is draining the life from his students to extend his own.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh no, not generic anime blood coughing disease.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I could've swore Ippo has fought at least two southpaws?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Asuron posted:

I could've swore Ippo has fought at least two southpaws?

He went southpaw in his very first fight to avoid getting a cut damaged. Other than that I think one of his last Japanese title defenses against that old dude who had a ton of Weird Tricks fought him southpaw for a bit and then switched midway through the fight?

Maybe Ippo is just too brain damaged to remember

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
He also had a spar with that one guy who got super hosed up by Sendou.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The "One Weird Trick" someone can use to defeat Ippo is being a fundamentally sound boxer who doesn't want to die like a samurai or whatever

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It feels really weird that Ippo has to learn the basics of fighting a southpaw this far into his career.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

The "One Weird Trick" someone can use to defeat Ippo is being a fundamentally sound boxer who doesn't want to die like a samurai or whatever

Gonzales and Date did pretty much that. Although both want to die by going up against Martinez.

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
A new chapter is out, and Ippo finally does what he should have done ages ago!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ippo thinking seriously about technique, coach is like 'no don't.'

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's okay, Kamogawa has anime blood coughing disease so he's gonna be dead any minute now.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

...Japanese champion.

Reading "Beginners Guide to Boxing"

Over a thousand Chapters in.

What the christ?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If I had more faith in Morikawa I'd think it was a self-aware jab at himself. But I don't

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

...Japanese champion.

Over a thousand Chapters in.

What the christ?

Ehem, *former* Japanese champion.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Garrand posted:

If I had more faith in Morikawa I'd think it was a self-aware jab at himself. But I don't

It is 100% self-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Get a frickin sparring partner worth a poo poo ippo, i beg you