Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Smuggler's Copter has seen some Modern play, but it's not ridiculous because there's a million ways to take it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uPen posted:

The racer is in vintage, copter is fun in cube.

I think Skysovereign also sees Vintage play (or at least, it did before Walking Ballista came out), because Mishra's Workshop is a fair card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

When I first got back into it about 6 years ago, there was only one LGS in town and it was normal to get 20+ for Standard FNM. And no one in town drafted regularly.
Now there's 2 big stores, but it's nearly the reverse, with standard struggling to get to 8 and draft regularly having 12-16.

Standard attendance has plumetted in the last 6-9 months.

I dropped by the other LGS I don't normally go to tonight, on a whim, and they were absolutely dead for FNM. So I ended up just spending two hours helping a couple kids make decks with cards from the bulk bin. :unsmith:

We have 101 players today.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

I think Skysovereign also sees Vintage play (or at least, it did before Walking Ballista came out), because Mishra's Workshop is a fair card.

They should've restricted shops instead of lodestone and chalice.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Star Man posted:

Smuggler's Copter has seen some Modern play, but it's not ridiculous because there's a million ways to take it out.

I'm trying it out in modern death and taxes and it's been real good. Protects you from sweepers and it's not like your making bolt any more live against you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

They should've restricted Gush instead of lodestone and chalice.

FTFY

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

We have 101 players today.

Are you in a major metro area? I'm in a city of ~100,000 in the middle of nowhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

little munchkin posted:

I'm trying it out in modern death and taxes and it's been real good. Protects you from sweepers and it's not like your making bolt any more live against you.

When you're tapping your only creature to activate it, it sort of is.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

When I first got back into it about 6 years ago, there was only one LGS in town and it was normal to get 20+ for Standard FNM. And no one in town drafted regularly.
Now there's 2 big stores, but it's nearly the reverse, with standard struggling to get to 8 and draft regularly having 12-16.

Standard attendance has plumetted in the last 6-9 months.

I dropped by the other LGS I don't normally go to tonight, on a whim, and they were absolutely dead for FNM. So I ended up just spending two hours helping a couple kids make decks with cards from the bulk bin. :unsmith:

If standard wasn't such an absolute dog poo poo format then yea, maybe attendance in standard wouldn't be crashing in a lot of places (it also dried up here but FNM drafts go strong).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Are you in a major metro area? I'm in a city of ~100,000 in the middle of nowhere.

That isn't a normal number for anywhere as far as I know.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

That isn't a normal number for anywhere as far as I know.

For at least one shop in texas it is. Before standard was poo poo you could double that number across all the formats.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm in northern Ontario. We regularly get 30-50 for pre-releases, and Standard was 20-30 for a while but it's absolutely plummeted lately. Draft has picked up somewhat but hasn't nearly made up for standard losses. There's some modern, but not at FNMs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Bob finally getting the respect he deserves from investors.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

I'm in northern Ontario. We regularly get 30-50 for pre-releases, and Standard was 20-30 for a while but it's absolutely plummeted lately. Draft has picked up somewhat but hasn't nearly made up for standard losses. There's some modern, but not at FNMs.

I'm in Alaska. We used to routinely draw in ~20-30 for FNM standard, and then 8-16 for drafts. These days they're lucky to fire a standard event (usually get the same 5-10 grinders), while drafts will typically fire 2-3 pods. Similar to your store, while standard attendance has taken a big hit the attendance in other formats don't really make up for it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A decade or so ago my area had a dozen shops across five towns, each of which would get 30+ people for standard FNM every week and at least that many for saturday drafts.

Now half those shops are closed, there's no standard scene anywhere, and the biggest of the stores can barely get drafts to pop. Prerelease for Aether Revolt had 17 people.

E: This is southern NH, for reference.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

Reprint Oblivion Ring Banishing Light. Oblivion Ring! And Faceless Butcher!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Faceless Butcher and/or Fiend Hunter would make my day. Same with O-ring.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe if you armchair designers who don't know the full story would think for a moment instead of whining about the lack of removal, you'd realize that there's a method to their madness.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maybe if you armchair designers who don't know the full story would think for a moment instead of whining about the lack of removal, you'd realize that there's a method to their madness.

We have to wait until Chandra levels up enough in the story to learn how to bolt things

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Pyramids is on the Reserved List, but I'd love to see a Cyclopean Mummy reprint. The game needs more reprints of classic, cool cards to be limited filler.

There's something neat about how Cyclopean Mummy's ability was shortened using modern templating of "dies" and "exile".

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Ahhh yes noted company WotC, famous for it's amazing business decisions and long term strategy surely has a plan you guys!

Reminder: This is a company that views "people want to buy our product and are willing to throw money at us" as a problem.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Hull (UK) had a pretty terrible magic scene with one overpriced shop pulling in 8-10 spikes in for alternate standard/draft weeks. This started to tail off with the expensive standard period of fetchable duals.

This last year we have had a second shop open who have done an excellent job of getting in more casual people with fair pricing, more flat prizes and a more interesting rotation of FNM formats. Flashback drafts, modern along side regular standard/draft nights.

They are pulling 20/25 for gameday and pre-releases and 16 regularly for FNMs. For our area it seems less about the format and more about the community. The older shop basically scared off half the player base with top heavy prizes and a stale environment. The new place has people turning up with their whatever deck and having fun. Standard events have great numbers as it isn't the only thing to do.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Has Standard ever been good?

Edit: Well I guess Bolt was legal back in M11...

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 25, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Siivola posted:

Innistrad/RTR standard was great, RTR/Theros standard was great, Theros/Khans standard was great.

Standard just totally sucking seems to be a more recent thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siivola posted:

Alara-Zendikar standard was pretty great. People threatened suicide over Bloodbraid Elf and blue being weak before Jace, the Mind Sculptor, but it wasn't that oppressive.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

Innistrad/RTR standard was great, RTR/Theros standard was great, Theros/Khans standard was great.

Standard just totally sucking seems to be a more recent thing.
So it took a nosedive around Origins or BFZ? That's actually pretty interesting, thanks.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Siivola posted:

Standard was almost always really good with the exceptions of the times mirrodin & kamigawa was in rotation. I don't know anything after the latest fetch standard set but siege rhino really ruined the standard experience in a way that wasn't overpowered but was totally unfun

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tonetta posted:

Standard was almost always really good with the exceptions of the times mirrodin & kamigawa was in rotation. I don't know anything after the latest fetch standard set but siege rhino really ruined the standard experience in a way that wasn't overpowered but was totally unfun

Kamigawa/Ravnica was apparently pretty good, but I wasn't playing then so I don't know if it's true or not

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

GeneX posted:

Kamigawa/Ravnica was apparently pretty good, but I wasn't playing then so I don't know if it's true or not

I missed out on kamigawa almost entirely because mirrodin was bad.enough to make me temp quit and kamigawa had jitte, which literally every deck ran 4 of regardless of how many creatures it played, because the legendary rule would kill it, was enough to make me wait until that poo poo was gone too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's probably true that some formats older than 5 years old would not hold up if put under the scrutiny of today's larger, hyperconnected competitive scene.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Siivola posted:

I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I quite enjoyed Standard while it was LOR/SHA and Alara. Also, Zendikar was the only time that standard Landfall strategies were any good, so that was fun.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tonetta posted:

I missed out on kamigawa almost entirely because mirrodin was bad.enough to make me temp quit and kamigawa had jitte, which literally every deck ran 4 of regardless of how many creatures it played, because the legendary rule would kill it, was enough to make me wait until that poo poo was gone too

Not true. Only aggro decks (Black Hand, etc.) ran Jitte. Kamigawa/Ravnica was very combo oriented, and also owned.

Kamigawa/Ravnica was probably the best "modern" standard there has been.

Also Mirrodin/Kamigawa was a great standard as well after Affinity ate its bans

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
It would be great to have an invitational style format where you had to bid on all possible Standard environments but could then play any deck in that environment if you won the bid. Bids would be starting life and cards in hand.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Welp, here is the deck I registered. Kinda janky, wish I had more green playables to justify putting that basker in, but oh well. I went ahead and sleeved up my blues, too, so I have the option to transform into UW flyers, post-board, but without any eagles or drakes, that doesn't seem as strong as the aggro potential of effectively topping my curve at three (assuming improvise is online for the sweatbrawlers and regent)

Wish me luck!

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 25, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I quite enjoyed Standard while it was LOR/SHA and Alara. Also, Zendikar was the only time that standard Landfall strategies were any good, so that was fun.

LOR/ALA standard was weird as hell and the mana was completely and utterly broken even moreso than KTK/BFZ standard, but it was fun as heck to play and had a lot of neat deck types that never showed up anywhere else again.

Really, all of the standards between Kamigawa and Zendikar were 8/10 at worst. It was a great time to play Magic.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

LOR/ALA standard was weird as hell and the mana was completely and utterly broken even moreso than KTK/BFZ standard, but it was fun as heck to play and had a lot of neat deck types that never showed up anywhere else again.

Really, all of the standards between Kamigawa and Zendikar were 8/10 at worst. It was a great time to play Magic.

The one standard deck I wish I could go back in time and play was 5-color Cruel Ultimatum.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Esper Charm into Cryptic Command into Cloudthresher into Broodmate Dragon into Cruel Ultimatum was the best curve.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

It was the best. Zoo existed, Land destruction was good, there was a B/R Tron control and LD deck, Maga Traitor of Mortals combo deck, and some others.

Was a really solid format. I played 4 color Zoo adding in Bob for card draw and removal in the form of putrify and mortify, which won me my JSS if anyone remembers those.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
LOR/ALA had my favorite deck of my favorite archetype (turbofog) so I nominate that as the best standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Masques/Invasion had Counterspell, Undermine, Absorb, and Fact or Fiction and Wrath of God all in the same WUB control deck. Those were the days

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 25, 2017

• Locked thread