Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

It's true. When I play with my PC, my mouse usually falls off the table because I'm so unaccustomed to the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My left joycon is either not charging or not charging as fast--it's been at half power for a day now, and I haven't taken it out of the dock except for the Splatoon testfire. There's a charging symbol when I check its status on the controller management screen. Has anyone encountered this before, and are there any fixes? Or does it just take a hell of a lot longer? I'm not seeing anything helpful via Google, and sending in to Nintendo isn't an option from the Philippines.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stux posted:

its really only there to give an option for people who have trouble using them

Or the other way around.

Is widdiw mister COD man having trouble? Aww. It's okay. We'll turn off that nasty motion *pat pat*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is there a fix for the Switch stealing focus on your TV input?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Or the other way around.

Is widdiw mister COD man having trouble? Aww. It's okay. We'll turn off that nasty motion *pat pat*

It's an optional toggle in a shooter designed for children

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Children don't care about Splatoon. There's no way to call people gay.

It's for serious eSporters, remember?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI&t=177s

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Children don't care about Splatoon. There's no way to call people gay.

It's for serious eSporters, remember?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI&t=177s

I dunno, you seem to care enough about it to leap to the defense of the controls that not everyone likes.

I liked the testfire okay, got to try it at a friends house and it was generally a good time. Scoring a sniper shot in it felt very satisfying when I finally found the right settings for my control sensitivity. I just don't get the excitement people around here seem to have for more Splatoon though. I suppose I'm just distracted by other stuff I am playing (BotW on Wii U) or want to play (Horizon, Nier, Persona 5), but the hour I spent with Splatoon 2 today didn't make me feel like I'm missing out on anything for not having a Switch of my own.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tfw u only sleep for 5 hours so you can catch the next test fire window

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

I dunno, you seem to care enough about it to leap to the defense of the controls that not everyone likes.

I'm leaping at the guy who's definitively saying the gyro is a crutch for people who can't play sticks well. It's as silly as the argument the other way around.

Except the other way around is true:ninja:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

deadwing posted:

Tfw u only sleep for 5 hours so you can catch the next test fire window

:yeah:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Motion controls r bad except when they are good but seriously when is fire emblem???!?!?!??!?

also are any of the inklings trans or are nintendo still BIGOTS????

hard hitting questions from your old pal jimmy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

Motion controls r bad except when they are good but seriously when is fire emblem???!?!?!??!?

your favorite game series is coming to the switch in 2018

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I've been slowly improving with the motion controls with the Grip, but in handheld they're a deterrent. I'd kill to have the Y axis unlocked with the stick and just use the motion controls for fine tuning aim, like in BotW.

Also just had my last game cut off abrubtly, lasted 7 minutes after it ended. :v:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Thanks to an angel donor my golf nightmare is over this morning and I will be playing a game purchased for me not of my purchasing, if it's bad I will tell you all. But I'm hoping it is good, and I will tell you all in that case as well.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Some of the Splatoon 2 hairstyles are extremely fresh.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played Splatoon 2 this morning! I'm complete garbage with three of the weapons but only partial garbage with the Splat roller.

I never played Splatoon so the mechanics of the game kept throwing me off, I kept forgetting that ink isn't unlimited so I would keep overextending myself and end up high and dry. Also I kept trying to sneak up on enemies and splat them only to be reminded that the spin up time on the roller is way higher than the other weapons.

With some single player training time to better learn the gyro controls and better matchmaking so that every game isn't a complete roll for one team I could see myself enjoying it. I'll probably pick it up.

I'd rather have Overwatch on the Switch though

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deadwing posted:

good thing the gyro controls are optional for people who can't keep their hands still for some strange reason and want to handicap themselves

if you're capable of using a controller like a normal human, it's a complete nonissue

This is ableist.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This whole drat system is ableist!!!!!!!!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If you don't play Splatoon with motion controls please throw away your Switch and never play video games ever again you are a dumb bad idiot

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

My friend who owns an actual Big Tournament Golf arcade board confirms no input lag and perfect sound.

Welp I went ahead and bought the game and the sound is garbage.

The controls work perfectly but the sound is completely screwed up in these emulators still.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Re: Splatoon 2:

Found using a pro controller and docked to be far superior to playing handheld that I tried yesterday. Turning up the stick sensitivity made a huge difference and seemed to be the last piece of the puzzle for me. After that it controlled great. Have tried all the weapons now and the only one I can't get my head around the is the first one (the medium range kinda assault gun) It just seemed to be flat out weaker than all the others. Dualies and roller both owned.

One question about the roller though, it seemed like one player was pulling off the jump+shoot forward flick without jumping? Couldn't recreate myself but maybe it was visual lag.

Looking forward to release and just running around and getting used to the controls in a single player map.

Lobstertainment fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 25, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can you use gyro controls in portable mode?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can you use gyro controls in portable mode?

Yes, you can.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

KingEup posted:

So far only using a television without Autofocus. This needs an update from Nintendo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So the Pro Controller has a USB-A to USB-C cable you can use to charge it. Can you use this to charge the Switch as well? I assume I could use my bigger iPad Charging block and it would charger faster than it drains?

Going on vacation, and would like to take one less charger with me. 1 block and 2 cables would be nice to cover iPhone, iPad and Switch.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yes, it does charge the unit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yes, you can.

That sounds like it'd be horrendous

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i did one game in portable with gyro on because i assumed i'd be able to change the controls in match and it was terrible.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Empress Brosephine posted:

That sounds like it'd be horrendous

I tried it and it was good but also I was using the roller which requires a lot less Y-axis precision.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stux posted:

what? how is it a troll to say that people who play a lot of shooters with dual analogs will probably get on better using dual analogs? would it be trolling to tell a pc player to use a mouse and keyboard instead of a pad? :confused:

I agree and disagree. If someone has mastered the black magic of gitting (really) gud with analog sticks in FPSes, then yeah, they may have an easier time... although analog aiming felt floaty to me, maybe that's fixable by messing with the acceleration options. However I disagree because the gyro aiming was truly impressive and WAY more fun, at least in docked mode. I feel like gyro aiming in handheld mode could be hideous since you'd be rotating the screen itself every which way, but I haven't tried it yet. I guess I will today because I won't be at home.

Astro7x posted:

So the Pro Controller has a USB-A to USB-C cable you can use to charge it. Can you use this to charge the Switch as well? I assume I could use my bigger iPad Charging block and it would charger faster than it drains?

Going on vacation, and would like to take one less charger with me. 1 block and 2 cables would be nice to cover iPhone, iPad and Switch.

Yes it can. I use it in tandem with a USB-A battery pack to charge while playing on the go. You'll probably need to use the iPad charger, though, since the 5V/1A iPhone charger will probably only trickle charge at best. I don't remember what kind of wattage my battery pack pushes, but it at least charges more than Binding of Isaac drains at pretty high brightness. Haven't tested it with Zelda yet.

Edit: it's 5V/2.4A, which IIRC is right in line with the iPad adapter, so yea that'd work out pretty well.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 25, 2017

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

parallelodad posted:

This is ableist.

"Being able to hold your hands still like a normal human being." Wow. Sorry, you must never have heard of Parkinson's, MS? Muscular dystrophy? Just hold your hands still, you non-human. Or you don't get to participate in video games. Nintendo has actually done a really respectable job of ensuring that players who may not be able to interact with a game in a specific way can still enjoy it through other control schemes without detriment to the community. The Switch is the first console since the original launch Wii that I have seen a whole group of people come around and play. It's awesome. Your attitude is not.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TheMammoth posted:

"Being able to hold your hands still like a normal human being." Wow. Sorry, you must never have heard of Parkinson's, MS? Muscular dystrophy? Just hold your hands still, you non-human. Or you don't get to participate in video games. Nintendo has actually done a really respectable job of ensuring that players who may not be able to interact with a game in a specific way can still enjoy it through other control schemes without detriment to the community. The Switch is the first console since the original launch Wii that I have seen a whole group of people come around and play. It's awesome. Your attitude is not.

It was actually a response to someone complaining they had to recalibrate the gyro depending on if they were leaning backward or forward

But yeah my language was lovely and I'm sorry

deadwing fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 25, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingEup posted:

Not yet

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

your favorite game series is coming to the switch in 2018

I don't want to wait that long :(

anyways it is my sincerest hope that the next 3DS one is total garbage so I can be mad about it

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Has anyone else playing Afterbirth+ encountered this bug? Went into this room and several different spider type enemies spawned, including the one still left in the corner. It proceeded to leap at several times the speed it normally does, hitting me as it jumped to the corner, at which point it stopped moving completely no matter how long I waited. I had also encountered this bug with the same enemy type in a Greed run the other night, but I had just assumed that maybe some new item I picked up had the power to scare spider enemies or something, but clearly that can't be the case since right now I don't have any such item.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yea, I see that often. I thought it was what that mob was supposed to do at first; hide in a corner and spawn babies or something while you overlook it. Now I welcome the bug because gently caress spiders.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Welp I went ahead and bought the game and the sound is garbage.

The controls work perfectly but the sound is completely screwed up in these emulators still.

What's wrong with it? Genuinely curious, so I can bring it up

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nalin posted:

Man, Zelda on docked mode stutters like crazy in some areas. I swear I'm only getting 10 frames in Korok Forest. It makes me wish I had an option to force portable resolution just to get a couple more frames.

Yea, I am in love with this game but I hit a spot last night onthe way to Sidon's quest where I was up on a hill in the treees with tall grass and a bunch of electric wand Lizals... and it was the worst I've yet seen it. Sub-20 for sure.

Has anyone anywhere even tangentially affiliated with Nintendo (like a janitor) said anything that might indicate that a fix was being evaluated?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But I thought it was a perfect port with no problems?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

What's wrong with it? Genuinely curious, so I can bring it up

There's a huge delay. Like, to the point that playing with the sound turned on is kind of disorienting.

• Locked thread