Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Would this work? http://www.lindy.com.au/hdmi-non-cec-female-male-adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

It says right on the page "No connection on Pin 13 stops issues between your HDMI devices and switches."

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It's a shame Nintendo put the pointer on the back side of the right pointer and didn't include a sensor bar with the Switch. Seems that would've solved the need to reset gyro controls.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Louisgod posted:

It's a shame Nintendo put the pointer on the back side of the right pointer and didn't include a sensor bar with the Switch. Seems that would've solved the need to reset gyro controls.

Gyro aiming never used the IR sensor anyway sooooo

It's not a big deal once you adjust the controls and get a feel for it much like the proverbial mouse off the pad thing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I honestly prefer gyro cursor to the sensor bar cursor, though my sensor bar has been absolute poo poo lately. I don't know if it's picking up lights off my router, a reflection, or I'm just too far from my TV, but I haven't been able to play a Wii game in forever

Mostly talking about Tomorrow Corp games

I like how my hands don't have to be directly facing the screen

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Spellman posted:

I honestly prefer gyro cursor to the sensor bar cursor, though my sensor bar has been absolute poo poo lately. I don't know if it's picking up lights off my router, a reflection, or I'm just too far from my TV, but I haven't been able to play a Wii game in forever

Use your phone to look at the sensor bar with all other lights off. You can see the infrared, along with anything that it might be bouncing off of.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hey goons! In about a month I'm going to be traveling to Italy and bringing my Switch for the flights (obviously not gonna be using it on gondola rides). I'll likely want to charge it, though, before the flight back in which case I'll need to use an adapter. Any known issues with using a European adapter on the 120V AC charging cable?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm going through some older areas again before I set off on my 3rd divine beast and holy poo poo there's so much I've missed. I love how they somehow gave the game a open air barren tone while having a really dense world at the same time

Coming across a ruined Lon Lon Ranch was a nostalgic and welcomed touch

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Amazon prime shipping has turned out to be over 3 days so far and with that and how long it took to get a switch I think I know everything about zelda already
:(

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Amazon prime shipping has turned out to be over 3 days so far and with that and how long it took to get a switch I think I know everything about zelda already
:(

You need to complain to them every day it's late to get free prime

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

LethalGeek posted:

Gyro aiming never used the IR sensor anyway sooooo

It's not a big deal once you adjust the controls and get a feel for it much like the proverbial mouse off the pad thing.

Fair enough though if you pulled up the map you could see a 'pointer' of sorts, which I could see staying calibrated much easier via a sensor bar.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Use your phone to look at the sensor bar with all other lights off. You can see the infrared, along with anything that it might be bouncing off of.

Yea IDK what it could be, I've turned off some of the lights and repositioned some of the hardware and I just can't figure it out. I'll check again at night but the one thing I wanna play is Metroid Prime and it's just not happening

e: someone on imgur commented that it might be the window behind the TV

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Fair enough though if you pulled up the map you could see a 'pointer' of sorts, which I could see staying calibrated much easier via a sensor bar.

Oh that thing. I skipped over that and used the control pad button for the player since you can't jump to a random spot anyway.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spellman posted:

Have you tried turning the LED intensity up on the sensor bar? It may say pointer sensitivity or something in the menu.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Have you tried turning the LED intensity up on the sensor bar? It may say pointer sensitivity or something in the menu.

I've never. Will give that a go. I don't know why I didn't just ask the thread

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

deadwing posted:

You need to complain to them every day it's late to get free prime

I got an extra free month but I dont bother with anything amazon do except packages. Prime delivery should not take 4+ days

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Only if you think nintendo didnt gently caress up here and its your problem to fix for 14$ plus shipping

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Or the other way around.

Is widdiw mister COD man having trouble? Aww. It's okay. We'll turn off that nasty motion *pat pat*

what?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey guys you should really stop having childish slap fights over controls

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds like divisive control schemes could probably be rethought to make more people happy

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you don't like it there's a way to disable it :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Sounds like divisive control schemes could probably be rethought to make more people happy

How do you make people who don't want to learn gyro aiming happy without removing gyro aiming?

The game also has an option to disable it. It just makes you worse at the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Norns posted:

Hey guys you should really stop having childish slap fights over controls

i dont know why anyone is fighting about it, all i said was people who had played a lot of dual stick fps should maybe try the dual stick aiming scheme. i dont really understand why people are attacking me over this, especially when everyone had said many times that the splatoon community was more accepting and friendly than other shooters. doesnt seem that way so far

Andrast posted:

How do you make people who don't want to learn gyro aiming happy without removing gyro aiming?

The game also has an option to disable it. It just makes you worse at the game.

you can just play without the gyro, its fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If they add voice chat the community will be children calling the 30yo goons bad words really loud

Anybody play killzone on vita? That had a great hybrid gyro scheme.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

you can just play without the gyro, its fine.

Well, yes. It's a disadvantage to not use gyro aiming but Splatoon is a pretty casual game so it's not like you have to use it to do well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is Mario kart so far away there's nothing to play on this system for a month.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Why is Mario kart so far away there's nothing to play on this system for a month.

Welcome to console launches

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Andrast posted:

Well, yes. It's a disadvantage to not use gyro aiming but Splatoon is a pretty casual game so it's not like you have to use it to do well.

its not really if you have very good stick aim, aim assist is more trouble than its worth anyway so usually gets turned off unless its comically over powered. if people find gyro helpful thats great but seasoned fps players should be more than fine relying on sticks

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Andrast posted:

Welcome to console launches

I dunno, when PS4 launched I was pretty happy playing Battlefield 4.

edit: when it loving worked :dice:

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 25, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they fix the gyro aiming so you can use the gyro in all directions + analog aiming instead of just one or the other?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lol, that won't be enough time for us because my wife and I and at least one of our daughters are all going to be competing for time on Zelda once ours arrives next week. I'll be lucky if I complete it before Mario Odyssey I think. I should have probably just gotten 3 of the dang things.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

InFlames235 posted:

Hey goons! In about a month I'm going to be traveling to Italy and bringing my Switch for the flights (obviously not gonna be using it on gondola rides). I'll likely want to charge it, though, before the flight back in which case I'll need to use an adapter. Any known issues with using a European adapter on the 120V AC charging cable?

Make sure the power supply can handle the higher voltage and 50hz (some do, some don't). Those 7 euro adapters don't step down power but just adapt the actual plug. I had some hotels in Italy have the option to switch between 120 and 230v. If the NA version of the Switch charger doesn't handle 230v, an easy thing to do would be just get a power bank/battery to charge the Switch, and you can just use your iPhone or whatever charger to charge the power bank since most of those accept both 120 and 230v.

Italy is amazing, especially Venice. Enjoy!

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Stux posted:

im talking about people who spend a serious amount of time on console fps and probably turn off aim assist anyway (its actually a hindrance once you have a hell of a lot of practice on sticks!)

I'm with Stux on this, people can crank the sensitivity up and get pretty accurate with analog sticks. Especially considering this game isn't as precise as other games that use actual bullets. The paint kinda splats out and covers a bigger surface area unless you are "sniping" (can't remember the name of the gun from Splatoon 1).

I'll stick with gyro myself on Splatoon 2, but I didn't use gyro on Splatoon 1 and didn't have issues competitively.

No need to attack Stux on this comment.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What did you guys find is the best control scheme for Splatoon gyro aiming?

I hated handheld, and thought the grip was much better. But I have a nagging suspicion that holding the controllers separately might be the secret best method if I can ever master it.

I know I had better results holding the controllers separate in Zelda puzzles, but not for shooting arrows.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Argue posted:

My left joycon is either not charging or not charging as fast--it's been at half power for a day now, and I haven't taken it out of the dock except for the Splatoon testfire. There's a charging symbol when I check its status on the controller management screen. Has anyone encountered this before, and are there any fixes? Or does it just take a hell of a lot longer? I'm not seeing anything helpful via Google, and sending in to Nintendo isn't an option from the Philippines.

Are you turning the system completely off when it's in the dock? It'll only charge the joycons in the dock if the system is asleep, not off.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

What did you guys find is the best control scheme for Splatoon gyro aiming?

I hated handheld, and thought the grip was much better. But I have a nagging suspicion that holding the controllers separately might be the secret best method if I can ever master it.

I know I had better results holding the controllers separate in Zelda puzzles, but not for shooting arrows.

Pro controller was king for me. Joycons detached and separate was noticeably superior to holding the switch handheld. I didn't think to try them in the grip.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the insane video game controls arguments

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
theres no need for arguments! if you like gyro, use gyro! if you struggle with gyro but you are used to playing a lot of console fps with dual analog turn the gyro off! everyones happy! :)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Since the testfire started, I have had trouble connecting to both Eshop and Splatoon 2 beta. My Switch has worked flawlessly since launch but now it throws DNS errors (2110-3127) when trying to connect. When trying to troubleshoot between alternative wifi connection (via my Android hotspot) it fails connecting to the network. Other devices work just fine over my wireless LAN as well.

If I manage to configure my connection I get error 2811-1006 when trying to connect to Eshop. This leads to 2811-5001 when trying to retry connection by clicking the Retry in Eshop error message, which translates to generic local network problem. But again, every single other device in my home works just fine over network.

Kinda starting to wonder whether or not I'm just being hosed over by network congestion. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

eonwe posted:

im the insane video game controls arguments

:same: but with more references to ableism and nazis

• Locked thread