Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Genocyber posted:

That sounds like how X and Y are balanced, actually.

X and Y also have the omni-experience share which makes grinding kinda a non-issue so long as you fight the trainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

X and Y have an experience curve almost as bad as Gen 2. I don't know why they went away from the scaled experience system that was in Gen 5.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

shhh shhh, let the kid make their long post about stuff we've already talked about, they were so excited to post!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

X and Y have an experience curve almost as bad as Gen 2. I don't know why they went away from the scaled experience system that was in Gen 5.

x and y exp curve is way less bad if you turn off exp share

sun and moon, funnily enough, have an exp curve that seems specifically designed around having exp share on, since some fights are actually pretty hard even with it (mostly thinking of the lurantis fight here)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shiva Asori posted:

that may be but it also leads to bad design decisions like having a pokemon evolve at lvl 72.

...Jeeze, and I thought Rufflet evolving at 54 was a bit much. Good job one-upping the official games in bad ideas, Uranium.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mandatory lesbian posted:

sun and moon, funnily enough, have an exp curve that seems specifically designed around having exp share on, since some fights are actually pretty hard even with it (mostly thinking of the lurantis fight here)

Yeah, by the time I got to the final fight with Alien Mom, my team was the exact same level as theirs.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

x and y exp curve is way less bad if you turn off exp share

I spergily hate exp share because IM LEVELING THIS SPECIFIC ONE DAMMIT

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I spergily hate exp share because IM LEVELING THIS SPECIFIC ONE DAMMIT

sounds like a personal problem

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Exp share is a sin because only my starter deserves love.

I beat Heart Gold with my starter and two HM slaves who never saw battle. Let me tell you, even at level 99 typhlosion takes some real damage from the elite 4 rematch.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you don't use the experience share at all in X/Y you end up super underleveled towards the end of the game. Like lower leveled than wild pokemon so repels don't even work. You kind of have to micromanage the experience share if you want to keep from being significantly over or underleveled.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Barudak posted:

I beat Heart Gold with my starter and two HM slaves who never saw battle. Let me tell you, even at level 99 typhlosion takes some real damage from the elite 4 rematch.

That's because even if Typhlosion is The Best Pokemon, it's also a fire-type that wasn't built to be a tank so anything with Water or Ground (or Rock) type moves that looks at it funny will be able to gently caress it up.

Fire is a really bad type, defensively, despite only having three weaknesses - entirely because those three weaknesses are super common filler with strong, accurate moves (EQ and Surf, mostly) on almost everything. It doesn't help that its resistances are far less common overall - only Grass 'mon (or Sunnybeamers) run grass moves, only Bug-types (or Psychic killers) run Bug moves, nobody pre-gen 6 ran Steel moves.

WrightOfWay posted:

If you don't use the experience share at all in X/Y you end up super underleveled towards the end of the game. Like lower leveled than wild pokemon so repels don't even work. You kind of have to micromanage the experience share if you want to keep from being significantly over or underleveled.

X/Y has a renewable source of Trainer battle EXP. It's kind of expensive to use, but it pays for itself with the Amulet Coin.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 25, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

nobody pre-gen 6 ran Steel moves.

metagross and scizor both ran steel moves in gen 5 tyvm

you will know the pain of meteor mash and bullet punch

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

metagross and scizor both ran steel moves in gen 5 tyvm

you will know the pain of meteor mash and bullet punch

--I absolutely forgot about the hell that is Technician'd Bullet Punch. I didn't play in Gen 5 competitive. :shobon: But even then, that puts it in the same place as Megahorn or Energy Ball - it's being run by something that will already get melted by a Fire-type anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah, you're point isn't wrong or anything, just bullet punch scizor was like, the one thing i remember from gen 5 OU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Barudak posted:

Exp share is a sin because only my starter deserves love.

if you were like me your other pokemon were only there so you could use revives when your starter inevitably dies

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

yeah, you're point isn't wrong or anything, just bullet punch scizor was like, the one thing i remember from gen 5 OU

It was also 4th gen OU. Bronzong, Forretress, and Ferrothorn love their Gyro Ball. Jirachi had its 60% flinch on Iron Head. Bisharp and Excadrill could run Iron Head if they wanted. Magnezone sometimes had Flash Cannon. Lucario had Bullet Punch but not Mach Punch. Escavalier, Steelix, Cobalion, Durant, Klinklang, all ran STAB moves too.

And Metagross has its Meteor Mash, of course, probably the first really relevant Steel move, showing up in 3rd gen unlike those guys using 4th gen moves.

Steel became a much more relevant type with Fairy since Fairies are frequently badass, and with Metagross and Lucario mega-evolving and Celesteela showing up and proclaiming itself the boss, but it showed up before then.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh right bullet punch was in gen 4 too, i forgot about all that

technician man, what an ability

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

technician man, what an ability

The reason Scyther hasn't been able to get Bug Bite since... what, Emerald?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The reason Scyther hasn't been able to get Bug Bite since... what, Emerald?

It's been a tutor move since Gen IV.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WrightOfWay posted:

It's been a tutor move since Gen IV.

Has it? I could've sworn they added it into the move tutor in the third game of one gen and then removed it immediately the next.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I keep seeing people complain about the Lurantis fight but I really don't get it. My Torracat absolutely demolished it and its Castform buddy.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

serefin99 posted:

I keep seeing people complain about the Lurantis fight but I really don't get it. My Torracat absolutely demolished it and its Castform buddy.

The Totem bosses can be really tough or really easy, depending on how the RNG goes. Most teams can't handle 5-6 consecutive Solar Blades.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Steel became a much more relevant type with Fairy since Fairies are frequently badass, and with Metagross and Lucario mega-evolving and Celesteela showing up and proclaiming itself the boss, but it showed up before then.

I had to look the name Celesteela up as someone who quit playing Pokemon a long long long time ago, and wow, when did Pokemon become Digimon?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

serefin99 posted:

i feel the same way when people complain about the wishiwashi fight, which i had no trouble with but a lot of people apparently got walled by. different people have different experiences

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gologle posted:

I had to look the name Celesteela up as someone who quit playing Pokemon a long long long time ago, and wow, when did Pokemon become Digimon?

That Pokemon is in a group of Pokemon that are straight up aliens, which is why they don't look like normal Pokemon.

serefin99 posted:

A lot of the difficulty really comes from team setups considering how variable they can be.

Game Freak is usually good at providing an easy mode option if needed, through a TM or a specific Pokemon that can help demolish the challenge if people choose to use it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Lurantis was tough, mostly because I let it get away with setting up sunny day

Mimikyu kicked my rear end from monday to sunday because I had nothing that resisted Fairy

but all of that was still more fair than whatever the hell that Heatwave pokemon is

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Has it? I could've sworn they added it into the move tutor in the third game of one gen and then removed it immediately the next.

It wasn't in Platinum but it was in HG/SS, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

if you were like me your other pokemon were only there so you could use revives when your starter inevitably dies

Pretty much how I played too.
I mean, I still caught all the Pokemon. But since my starter was my first, and already the highest level... I just figured, why not keep using him?
Sure, I could have a like, fully kitted out, balanced team...
Or just one really buff Pokemon that can oneshot basically anything even with type disadvantage for anything in the normal game. It just seemed more time efficient.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

krisslanza posted:

Pretty much how I played too.
I mean, I still caught all the Pokemon. But since my starter was my first, and already the highest level... I just figured, why not keep using him?
Sure, I could have a like, fully kitted out, balanced team...
Or just one really buff Pokemon that can oneshot basically anything even with type disadvantage for anything in the normal game. It just seemed more time efficient.
If you're trying to rush through as quick as possible, why are you even playing Pokemon?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
OneAngryGamer just wrote an article about some inter-group problems with Sage. I wonder how slanted the article is based on who spoke to the writer, but if true its certainly discouraging to hear.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looking at the headline in the hyperlink, you can take that garbage article the gently caress out of here already.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

TravelLog posted:

OneAngryGamer just wrote an article about some inter-group problems with Sage. I wonder how slanted the article is based on who spoke to the writer, but if true its certainly discouraging to hear.

this is the stupidest loving article I've ever read

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given that it's some trump supporter feeling bullied by 4chan people of all things and the writer of that article has an avatar of rorschach with a mention of 'rustling jimmies' i'm going to assume that it's just some whiny weirdo trying to find somewhere to complain

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TravelLog posted:

actually its pretty encouraging to hear that a racist got kicked off the team

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

independent of politics, imagine how much of a ween you have to be for 4chan people to actively be annoyed by you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like in the comments the other devs came on and talked about the writer was a piece of poo poo (with screencaps) and well you're an idiot travelLog for treating it as anything but positive

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TravelLog posted:

are you really incapable of figuring out whether a pro-gamergate dude interviewing a pro-brexit 4channer is slanted

Hilarious read tho

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
It's a dumb article written by someone with an agenda, sure, but that doesn't mean the worry about the team being cooperative and not still ridden with internal strife going on isn't valid. The slant I was talking about was in terms of the sources, not the writer. It could just be three ex-team members making poo poo up, or equally, it could be actual issues going on.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to say that a creative project is not an appropriate place for a political fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given that other people involved with it came into the comments and more or less said 'this is a weird amount of cherrypicked crap and we kicked the dude because he sucked at his job' i have a feeling that there's way less strife involved than some are trying to make it out to be

• Locked thread