Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

welp i drank way too much last night :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i drank a beer w/ lunch :cheers:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I guess I don't subscribe to a specific religion or anything so I have a difficult time understanding the precise issue and I've always been a pretty staunch atheist.

It's cool and fine if people don't like AA or 12 step programs, but focusing on dogma is missing the point to me. Smart recovery tells you you have power and aren't helpless, and fundamentally so does AA (you decided to not drink today didn't you? You decided to start work on the Change you need) aside from the what is supposed to be humbling confession where you "admit your life ain't going how you always wanted it to go" in step 1. Considering the lengths I went to maintain my denial, it was necessary for me to claim the title of alcoholic. I would encourage exploring or seeking out agnostic or atheist recovery groups if that's your inclination and it's something that'll help. Really, if it helps, that's what matters.

Doing it alone, I know it didn't work for me. The most frightening thing was always thinking I had a "time limit" that I was waiting to pass, and once things fell into place I'd automatically start drinking. Oh boy was it a treat when that time came and went and I was hitting it harder than before, feeling even more out of control than at any point before then.

Connecting with you with supportive people who've been through the same wringer as you is really the focus anyway. Otherwise you have people saying "75 drinks a week!! That's nothing. Call me when you've learned how to really drink"

Of course some people are going to lean into dogma but it's more of a pity IMO cause it's so boring. You'll also run into people who don't think you're "clean" unless you're not on any anti depressants either. Which is destructive as hell.

To me, any spirituality is firmly planted inside yourself. "the reality deep down within you" and harnessing it doesn't rob you of anything. That well springs forth from within. Like nomad was saying earlier in the thread, what would your heart have you do?

Ultimately I just want people to be happy with their lives and their choices. For themselves.

I don't think anybody has been arguing against the value of support groups in general, just that prescribing one particular flavor (e.g., AA) over another is not paying due diligence to the needs of the person being addressed. AA and related 12-step programs are not for me, for instance, but that doesn't mean I think nobody should use them. I'm fond of Refuge Recovery, but I'm not under the delusion that it would be a good fit for everyone. Not only are people different, but each person's addiction is different. For instance, you describe having denial be a significant part of your process, whereas for me denial was essentially absent - this leads to very different expressions of what may be otherwise similar addictions. Trying to advocate too much for a single path to recovery inevitably means a significant number of people are going to fall off it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't think anybody has been arguing against the value of support groups in general, just that prescribing one particular flavor (e.g., AA) over another is not paying due diligence to the needs of the person being addressed. AA and related 12-step programs are not for me, for instance, but that doesn't mean I think nobody should use them. I'm fond of Refuge Recovery, but I'm not under the delusion that it would be a good fit for everyone. Not only are people different, but each person's addiction is different. For instance, you describe having denial be a significant part of your process, whereas for me denial was essentially absent - this leads to very different expressions of what may be otherwise similar addictions. Trying to advocate too much for a single path to recovery inevitably means a significant number of people are going to fall off it.

Good point. I don't wanna be shoving people into holes or anything. It's good to be reminded of differences that I can take for granted or something that might seriously affect someone else's recovery.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I guess I don't subscribe to a specific religion or anything so I have a difficult time understanding the precise issue and I've always been a pretty staunch atheist.

It's cool and fine if people don't like AA or 12 step programs, but focusing on dogma is missing the point to me. Smart recovery tells you you have power and aren't helpless, and fundamentally so does AA (you decided to not drink today didn't you? You decided to start work on the Change you need) aside from the what is supposed to be humbling confession where you "admit your life ain't going how you always wanted it to go" in step 1.

But, that is literally the opposite of what AA says. You even mentioned step 1 which is:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

I'm talking pointless semantics here and everyone does their own thing which is good as long as it works for them but I just had to point that out since it's literally AAs first starting point. It's meant to be taken exactly how it's read.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Connecting with you with supportive people who've been through the same wringer as you is really the focus anyway. Otherwise you have people saying "75 drinks a week!! That's nothing. Call me when you've learned how to really drink"

Competitive alcoholism is sad, but it sure can be fun to watch. 2 guys who have been trying to out-bender each other on week 3 of the bender stumbling into the bar and telling stories makes for a great afternoon. Just don't run into them after 8pm.

Do we have a thread like this for smokers? I need to quit smoking and reading about others fighting the same thing helps(I haven't wanted to drink near as much since I started reading this thread!).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

Do we have a thread like this for smokers? I need to quit smoking and reading about others fighting the same thing helps(I haven't wanted to drink near as much since I started reading this thread!).

Post that poo poo here! We support quitters of all varieties, I've been off of the weed for two weeks now after being a nearly nightly weeder for 4 years.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

today I'm gonna be high on opiates and red bull and a full pack of menthols and a gram of weed. gonna be a good day. gently caress sobriety

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lol idiot

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I quit smoking cigarettes a couple years after I quit drinking. Having the previous experience helped a lot. I used Nicorette gum on-and-off for three or four months. Some days I'd do all gum, others I'd have like 5 cigs and 10 pieces of gum, and a couple days just smoke a whole pack. Sometimes I'd buy a pack, smoke 3, and then throw the rest away. Eventually I just didn't want either of them. I did also smoke weed throughout. Still haven't quit that. The time is coming but... not yet.
BTW the benefits of quitting booze and cigs (and other stuff) are innumerable. My body isn't in pain, my brain feels far less broken. When I go outside, I go much more than 50ft from a doorway. Hell, I even floss regularly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I fell off the wagon this week. I drank the past 4 or 5 days. I also started buying cigarettes like a loving idiot. My last pack is almost gone and I have plenty of tools around here to help (patches, gum, e-cig). I don't know what caused the drinking this time. There's usually something behind it but I can't remember. I want to stop tonight.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sorry you've been having a difficult time. I can't remember if it was brought up earlier in the thread or not, but have you tried journaling? Keeping a diary of sorts can be really helpful, and might also be useful in figuring out some of the behavioral patterns you are engaging in. Being able to read back my thoughts from days or weeks previous was immensely valuable to me at a couple points in my life. I'd recommend keeping it somewhere where you know it is private, and can write without editing yourself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That is a good idea but I hate writing. I used to use an app called eMoods that I would use to keep track of my brain cycles so I could see trends but having an idea of what leads up to these things in writing would probably be enormously helpful.

Now that I think about it, you can enter notes. I remember emailing the developer suggesting a higher character limit for the notes and he obliged. I should check that out again.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ah yes, the pennywise fail thread.

poor penny cant get honest with himself and is doomed to a life of living in a dumpster sucking off hobos for sterno. pathetic

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just was honest though. :shrug:

The last part is true though. Also, suck my drat balls.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the pulled pork im making needed a cup of wine for the recipe ... I guess the rest is for me :getin:

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

the pulled pork im making needed a cup of wine for the recipe ... I guess the rest is for me :getin:

Idiot nooner!

I'm drunk rn

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just was honest though. :shrug:

The last part is true though. Also, suck my drat balls.

You seem to not hate writing when it's forums posts, maybe you should write some poo poo here or in E/N? Might help! Good luck brother

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Non-e/n tldr: i moved in with a group/pair of individuals within the last 6 months. they do pot, xanax, coke, acid and mushrooms a few times a month. (weed/xanax several times, coke a few times a week and psychodelics a few times a month.)

I dont want to pander by saying i try new things. i have done many of the drugs they have, but i genuinely believe they are hurting themselves with this behavior. they do it ritually and one of my roommates has increased since a tragic event.

When it comes to people you dont know well, do you get concerned with their patterns? When does it stop? Housemate? Coworker?

Would you let a person continue with unhealthy habits if it didn't interfere with your life?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Would you let a person continue with unhealthy habits if it didn't interfere with your life?

This was hard for me personally because I've been doing way better in my life since I started smoking weed. Like I don't have to worry about money at all and can buy whatever I want whenever I want (including weed and dougtars!) and have been feeling happy at home (was already married but now I have my two sons) and successful/happy at work (fulfilling job and $$$$). I still don't really know why I quit, maybe because it bothered me to feel compelled to smoke as soon as I got home each night? And I didn't like not remembering everything as clearly as when I'm sober? But it was always in the back of my mind that I became more successful by each of the metrics I find important AFTER I started smoking weed years ago.

So I don't know that interfering with life is always the best metric, I feel happier off of it I think, but I wasn't unhappy before? It's hard because then I tell myself that I don't need to quit, what negative effect was it really having?

I'll still take Klonopin occasionally, but that's less frequently than my psych who prescribed it assumed/prescribed it for. And I'll still take opiates if we have leftovers and my head is killing me.

Maybe I just quit in order to convince myself I can actually quit if I want to? I've still got weed in the house, but a few weeks in it doesn't really bother me (but maybe still feels good as a safety net? Probably not healthy.)

I also feel dumb because it's just weed and I know that it's really nothing, especially compared to what you guys are going through, but when you do something every day for 4 years it feels like it's a lot bigger.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

That is a good idea but I hate writing. I used to use an app called eMoods that I would use to keep track of my brain cycles so I could see trends but having an idea of what leads up to these things in writing would probably be enormously helpful.

Now that I think about it, you can enter notes. I remember emailing the developer suggesting a higher character limit for the notes and he obliged. I should check that out again.

You could try using Google Voice, which I first learned to use for texting on my smartphone. A friend told me how to send it as an email, so you could mail it to yourself, and then put it into a file. Just a thought.

And of course I hope you'll keep talking to us about how you're feeling.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Again, much appreciated. I know GBS isn't the place for this but here we are.

Voice notes. Now that is an interesting idea. There is probably an app that can record and organize my notes. I've done the whole emailing myself before for numerous things but I want a better structure.

Very good idea.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Again, much appreciated. I know GBS isn't the place for this but here we are.

I don't know why it wouldn't be the place for this. If we have threads like [insert literally any thread in the list] in GBS, why doesn't this one belong?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Stay sober my friends.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I get drunk off cheap beer and strip naked. I walk through my backyard in the moonlight and crawl into a big pile of wet leaves so I can feel all the creeping thibgs writhe all over my skin

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Gonna watch John Wick laterr

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Big Centipede posted:

Gonna watch John Wick laterr

How good is John Wick the second time? I've seen it before (haven't seen the second and won't until it's on some streaming service) but don't generally watch a movie multiple times like some crazy people do. I did watch Sicario like 4 times because it's awesome, though.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

SpaceClown posted:

Stay sober my friends.

too late lol

get rekt :twisted:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gosh dangit nooner I thought you were my greatest ally in being an uncool dork :(

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I feel like I'm puking out of my rear end in a top hat

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

500 good dogs posted:

Post that poo poo here! We support quitters of all varieties, I've been off of the weed for two weeks now after being a nearly nightly weeder for 4 years.

I think my biggest problem with quitting smoking is actually drinking. My wife loves going to the bar once or twice a week to the point that she is horrified if i try to get out of it. She is also the major force behind me quitting smoking (i know i should for my health, and am pretty tired of doing it after 22+ years) but also probably the biggest obstacle. I think of we stopped drinking for a few months i could quit petty easily. I also set a condition on her of quitting chewing her nails so she can be giving up a bad habit with me, but she refuses, and since i gave myself that escape i can fail at quitting with no guilt.

gently caress i make allot of excuses to smoke.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Stopped smoking weed less than a week ago since I'm trying to land a job that requires me to quit using illicit substances.
I don't really smoke alone, but most of my friends are at least social smokers and a lot of my meetings with them revolve around weed. This makes it incredibly hard to quit.

Yesterday was my first real challenge. I was at a party where everybody smoked and I wanted to inhale that first puff of the evening so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried drinking alcohol as a replacement, but it just wasn't the same. Like a lot of my other friends, I lost the taste for alcohol after switching to weed.

I hope it will get easier over time, but I'm sure the first month will be really lovely. I need to find a way to have fun with my friends (while they're high) while being completely sober.
It's not that their company is impossible to enjoy without weed, but being sober with a high person sucks.

Any advice?

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

H.H posted:

Stopped smoking weed less than a week ago since I'm trying to land a job that requires me to quit using illicit substances.
I don't really smoke alone, but most of my friends are at least social smokers and a lot of my meetings with them revolve around weed. This makes it incredibly hard to quit.

Yesterday was my first real challenge. I was at a party where everybody smoked and I wanted to inhale that first puff of the evening so bad, it was driving me insane. I tried drinking alcohol as a replacement, but it just wasn't the same. Like a lot of my other friends, I lost the taste for alcohol after switching to weed.

I hope it will get easier over time, but I'm sure the first month will be really lovely. I need to find a way to have fun with my friends (while they're high) while being completely sober.
It's not that their company is impossible to enjoy without weed, but being sober with a high person sucks.

Any advice?

I can tell you not to try to do the things you really enjoyed while high! You'll be disappointed and feel even more like you need to smoke if you try watching cartoons or whatever, realize it's pretty dumb, but that your experience could be transformed into something magical with a few puffs of the magic grass. I've been trying to find new things to do instead. For example I watched TV a lot when I smoked, so now I'm trying to play more video games, which sounds dumb but I never really did that high so it keeps me busy, I have fun, and my mind is off of it.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

Nooner posted:

too late lol

get rekt :twisted:

at the risk of sounding like I care anything about your stupid life, start working out

you might have one sleepless night, take some nyquil or something

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Ice Blue Mink posted:

I can tell you not to try to do the things you really enjoyed while high! You'll be disappointed and feel even more like you need to smoke if you try watching cartoons or whatever, realize it's pretty dumb, but that your experience could be transformed into something magical with a few puffs of the magic grass. I've been trying to find new things to do instead. For example I watched TV a lot when I smoked, so now I'm trying to play more video games, which sounds dumb but I never really did that high so it keeps me busy, I have fun, and my mind is off of it.

This is generally good advice, but the thing I enjoy while high is my friends. I can't give them up.
This is the problem I've been trying to solve for myself ever since I started thinking about quitting, long before the job thing, when I started feeling too dependent on weed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

H.H posted:

This is generally good advice, but the thing I enjoy while high is my friends. I can't give them up.
This is the problem I've been trying to solve for myself ever since I started thinking about quitting, long before the job thing, when I started feeling too dependent on weed.

You could try becoming that dick who is always loving with his friends while they are high, thats always fun :shrug:

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
You could try working out. Like go do a serious workout before meeting up with your friends. You'll feel happier with your body/health/brain as a result and it should help stave off the need to smoke (if you're already chill and happy).

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Ice Blue Mink posted:

You could try working out. Like go do a serious workout before meeting up with your friends. You'll feel happier with your body/health/brain as a result and it should help stave off the need to smoke (if you're already chill and happy).

That's actually a really good idea. I stopped a few months ago (cos I'm a lazy gently caress), but I definitely need to get back to it.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
working out is more effective towards sobriety than A.A. and all you need is yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ra tehuti posted:

working out is more effective towards sobriety than A.A. and all you need is yourself

And a gym membership.

• Locked thread