Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I found a nice graph of which stores are closing how many stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Is Payless still planning on filing for Chapter 11?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nonsense posted:

Lush is killin' it around here and all JC Penney's had going for it was Sephora.

Lush is killing it everywhere, turns out there is room for ethics in the marketplace.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

OhFunny posted:

Sounds like The Limited...is going to be even more limited!!!

Also, this articles never get old:
http://www.theonion.com/article/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b-2190

Its kind of funny, when I started this thread, I was more focusing on Big Box retail as being an unstoppable force steamrolling (literally) across the American landscape. But most of the posting seems to be about retail failures. There are still big box/little box stores that are doing well, right? Like Walgreens still seem to be sprouting up like mushrooms.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OhFunny posted:

Note: that Family Christian store? That's all of their stores closing at once. After what was a failed attempt to move from being a for-profit business to a non-profit orchestrated by the new owners starting in 2013.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

OhFunny posted:

Jesus last Christmas must of been more savage for physical stores than I originally thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

I have to be a bit vague due to my job but I work for a major company that does a lot of business with Wal-Mart and other big box retailers.

While I have a similar experience with getting compliance on the ground from big box stores, how the hell do returns work without a receipt?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I do wonder how Walgreens is so continuously expanding so fast. I feel like I could make all those Starbucks jokes from the 90's about Walgreens in the 2010's.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I do wonder how Walgreens is so continuously expanding so fast. I feel like I could make all those Starbucks jokes from the 90's about Walgreens in the 2010's.

The healthcare crisis makes places like Walgreens and CVS extremely profitable, as people chug Dayquil and buy icepacks instead of seeing doctors.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

Is Payless still planning on filing for Chapter 11?

They are.

I was just reading that they'll be closing between 400-500 stores instead of all 1,000.

glowing-fish posted:

Sounds like The Limited...is going to be even more limited!!!

Also, this articles never get old:
http://www.theonion.com/article/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b-2190

Its kind of funny, when I started this thread, I was more focusing on Big Box retail as being an unstoppable force steamrolling (literally) across the American landscape. But most of the posting seems to be about retail failures. There are still big box/little box stores that are doing well, right? Like Walgreens still seem to be sprouting up like mushrooms.
I'm unaware of any. As the Big Box retailers fall they'll take malls they anchor and the smaller retailers inside with them. One third of the malls in America are projected to go under. They did crush small mom and pop stores, but now are being crushed in turn by online retail and a fall in spending on apparel and accessories.

edit: After reading some more. Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, TJ Maxx, and Walmart are doing well.

fishmech posted:

Note: that Family Christian store? That's all of their stores closing at once. After what was a failed attempt to move from being a for-profit business to a non-profit orchestrated by the new owners starting in 2013.
If we're taking inventory: The Limited, Family Christian, Wet Seal, and American Apparel are closing all their physical stores. The Limited is switching to online-only sales. The other three have gone under.

MC Sports has also gone under and is closing all of it's 68 stores.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Walgreens initiated a purchase of Rite Aid in late 2015, so a lot of apparent expansion is probably from the ongoing rebranding. (A thousand or so of the Rite-Aid locations were sold off to a third party to avoid potential antitrust lawsuits in certain areas). They've also been buying out a lot of regional chains over the past few years and slowly converting them over.

Once the merger is completely done, there should be about 11,000 remaining Walgreens locations in the US once Rite-Aid locations that will remain open are incorporated into the business structure. For comparison, Rite-Aid had around 4500 locations before the deal, Walgreens had about 8300 locations, and rival chain CVS had about 9500.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2017

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
IIRC Sears has a bunch of debt maturing this summer, so a lot of bets are that they'll be dead in June. That'll be the beginning of the mallpocalypse since nobody is going to replace them.

Re: Walgreens, drug stores get 60-70% of their revenue from pharmacy and they're probably raking in stupid amounts of money from old Boomers. Everything else in their store is poo poo nobody wants to wait for, so they're mostly immune to Amazon, and they expand like crazy because they compete on convenience.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 23, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I was shopping for a TV today and I want it ASAP because I'm a useless, impatient manchild. How many places do you think had the TV I wanted (or a similar model at a similar price) in stock, anywhere in the city/province, and indicated so on their website?

loving none.

If I'm going to order something and wait, of course I'm going with Amazon. I probably would've paid another $200-300 to have my TV by Friday, but nope! Is there something I'm missing? How can you compete with online stores when you steadfastly refuse to stock things?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PT6A posted:

So, I was shopping for a TV today and I want it ASAP because I'm a useless, impatient manchild. How many places do you think had the TV I wanted (or a similar model at a similar price) in stock, anywhere in the city/province, and indicated so on their website?

loving none.

If I'm going to order something and wait, of course I'm going with Amazon. I probably would've paid another $200-300 to have my TV by Friday, but nope! Is there something I'm missing? How can you compete with online stores when you steadfastly refuse to stock things?

If you were looking for a particular model then I'm not sure that this is really all that surprising. The last time I bought a TV at a brick and mortar store was over a decade ago, and even then I had to wait something like five days to go back and pick it up because I wanted a specific model and I didn't want the floor model.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

OneEightHundred posted:

IIRC Sears has a bunch of debt maturing this summer, so a lot of bets are that they'll be dead in June. That'll be the beginning of the mallpocalypse since nobody is going to replace them.

Re: Walgreens, drug stores get 60-70% of their revenue from pharmacy and they're probably raking in stupid amounts of money from old Boomers. Everything else in their store is poo poo nobody wants to wait for, so they're mostly immune to Amazon, and they expand like crazy because they compete on convenience.

Pharmacy meaning prescriptions or any type of health products?

If they are getting that much money from the pharmacy, why even have the other products? Are toys and snacks basically a loss leader so people will think of Walgreens and then buy their prescriptions there?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

glowing-fish posted:

If they are getting that much money from the pharmacy, why even have the other products? Are toys and snacks basically a loss leader so people will think of Walgreens and then buy their prescriptions there?

I think it's just a misreading of the situation. The Walgreens company has bought out over 10,000 existing pharmacy locations worldwide in the past 10 years, and in the US the thousands they have bought are in the process of being rebadged to the Walgreens brand - except for Duane Reade stores in New York City.

This makes it look like Walgreens has spent a lot on expansion, but they've spent a lot less than it would first appear on simply rebadging existing stores built and long operated by others. The overall pharmacy market isn't growing that much, because plenty of acquired stores get shut down when they compete too heavily with an existing Walgreens, but it looks like they're undergoing massive growth to a casual observer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PT6A posted:

loving none.

I had a similar experience. Best Buy had the TV, and I was willing to pay the $200 extra it cost there to have it that day, but they made it as hard as possible. It was too big to fit in my car for sure, but they had no way to get it to me other than that. They offered vaguely to find something that would bring it to me in a few days for another $100 or so, completely missing the point. Maybe it's entitled of me to expect delivery but like, a furniture store will deliver a couch if you buy a couch, why can't they? I bought it on amazon with free shipping and had the thing in 3 days for way cheaper, including tip for the guy who delivered it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Paradoxish posted:

If you were looking for a particular model then I'm not sure that this is really all that surprising. The last time I bought a TV at a brick and mortar store was over a decade ago, and even then I had to wait something like five days to go back and pick it up because I wanted a specific model and I didn't want the floor model.

I was willing to compromise on brand and model so long as I got a 60" LED of some description for around the same price, and it was a brand I'd heard of before.

No one had anything close in stock.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One of my clients owns a mall and is losing Sears. At this point their only real options are to remodel it and split it into a bunch of smaller stores, or just bulldoze the thing. They don't have much hope in finding another client that could take over this admittedly large location with service area.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

OwlFancier posted:

While I have a similar experience with getting compliance on the ground from big box stores, how the hell do returns work without a receipt?

Managers at Wal-Mart have more authority than corporate does when it comes to this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Enigma89 posted:

Managers at Wal-Mart have more authority than corporate does when it comes to this.

In the case of Walmart they find whatever price it is on the shelf right now and give you that, basically. If you have the receipt then they know how much you paid for it but if not then they have to punt. Yes this means that you have people buying something on sale, "losing" the receipt, and then returning it. In the end though the volume of returns and the money lost on the policy of "just let them return everything who even loving cares" is negligible compared to everything else. They're obviously not going to let you return a TV that you drop kicked and there are things they won't let you return but for the most part they just say "yes."

It's less so now but for a long time there was a popular thing among retail to make a policy of "just say 'yes'" to drat near everything the customers wanted. Most people just want to buy their poo poo and leave so it isn't a huge deal. Aside from that their was a customer service arms race before the recession.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's odd because everywhere I've ever worked if you don't have a receipt you can't return it.

If they don't know how much you paid for it they won't give you any money for it.

UK/US is weird.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

OwlFancier posted:

That's odd because everywhere I've ever worked if you don't have a receipt you can't return it.

If they don't know how much you paid for it they won't give you any money for it.

UK/US is weird.

Lots of retailers have way of finding the value you paid besides a physical receipt. Sometimes they'll find an item that is vaguely similar to the one you're returning and give you that items value.

The customer service arms race was after the recession when everyone was panicking to 'return' to 2005 levels of sales. Now everyone is panicking to simply stay alive. Thankfully return policies are tightening up after a stunning level of graft and exploitation by thieves.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Gamestop will close 150 stores.

Interestingly Gamestop will open 65 Technology Brand stores and 35 Collectibles stores.

Clearly trying to move away from video game sales, which have shifted to online downloads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is "technology brand" if not electronics? Which, uh, isn't doing so well either?

I mean I guess a generic phone store is a thing but, well, I can't help but feel like they're a weird thing that I don't really understand the appeal of and seem apt to be replaced by just buying phones in the supermarket.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 24, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OhFunny posted:

Interestingly Gamestop will open 65 Technology Brand stores and 35 Collectibles stores.

Clearly trying to move away from video game sales, which have shifted to online downloads.

Given how much everybody absolutely loathes Gamestop I'm shocked they still exist. It's like they're financially coasting entirely on midnight releases and pre-release bullshit at this point. I haven't bought a game at Gamestop in over a decade and a lot of that is because they're a tremendously lovely company to deal with.

Oh you have $700 of games to trade in, including a first edition that isn't common? We'll give you $10 of store credit.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

I was willing to compromise on brand and model so long as I got a 60" LED of some description for around the same price, and it was a brand I'd heard of before.

No one had anything close in stock.

Are you not near a Costco/BJs?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Oh hey I saw some more "Store Closing" signs in the neighborhood today, looks like Gander Mountain is closing 32 locations.

glowing-fish posted:

Prescriptions.

quote:

I'm not sure why they do it that way, but I'd imagine that there's a reason that the pharmacy is in the back of the store.

OhFunny posted:

There are two big problems for them embedded in that: GameStop makes most of their money on used sales, but downloads can't be resold, and digital distributors have been shifting towards loyalty programs and aggressive sales of back catalog to undercut the used market.

OwlFancier posted:

What is "technology brand" if not electronics? Which, uh, isn't doing so well either?
Their Simply Mac, Simply Mobile, and Cricket Wireless subsidiaries. (AT&T owns Cricket but GameStop operates their retail stores.)

Ammanas posted:

The customer service arms race was after the recession when everyone was panicking to 'return' to 2005 levels of sales. Now everyone is panicking to simply stay alive. Thankfully return policies are tightening up after a stunning level of graft and exploitation by thieves.
Returning items without a receipt has long been standard practice at a lot of retailers, the usual safeguards are valuing it at its lowest price from the last 30 days and returning it as a store gift card (so you can't profit off of it unless you're doing some crazy arbitrage poo poo).

The other safeguard is just been that people are honest enough on average that taking losses on stupid returns is worth not pissing off customers, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's been an uptick of it due to people publicizing information about how to exploit return policies and other store practices on the Internet, like that big mess when someone posted a guide on how to forge coupon barcodes that for some reason weren't using a whitelist, complete with a picture of a Wal-Mart receipt of a PS3 paid for with a fake coupon.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 25, 2017

Risky
May 18, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Given how much everybody absolutely loathes Gamestop I'm shocked they still exist. It's like they're financially coasting entirely on midnight releases and pre-release bullshit at this point. I haven't bought a game at Gamestop in over a decade and a lot of that is because they're a tremendously lovely company to deal with.

Oh you have $700 of games to trade in, including a first edition that isn't common? We'll give you $10 of store credit.

I was hoping a stack of top tier (some steelbook) PS3 games would get me at the very least 30 dollars towards NIOH on PS4. Nope, they offered 8 dollars and proceeded to ring it through when I stopped them and just put my games in the bag saying I'll just pay full price. She then offered me the only copy that was the store version that was opened. I just left and got it at walmart. I can see why gamestop sucks now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I'm not sure why they do it that way, but I'd imagine that there's a reason that the pharmacy is in the back of the store.

I always thought that was a security feature (also the reason they only have one door). You have that extra barrier against someone slamming a F150 through the pharmacy to get all the oxycontin.

(In Chile, there is a specific word for theft using a vehicular collision: aluniazaje, or "moon landing")

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

glowing-fish posted:

I always thought that was a security feature (also the reason they only have one door). You have that extra barrier against someone slamming a F150 through the pharmacy to get all the oxycontin.

(In Chile, there is a specific word for theft using a vehicular collision: aluniazaje, or "moon landing")

It's really because they want you to walk past everything else. Some people will find something they want or might think "well, while I'm here..." It's why there are clothing stores that always have jeans on sale at "barely above cost" prices but put them at the farthest end of the store. A lot of people will find something else to buy while they're there but they don't lose anything if people just buy the sale jeans.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OhFunny posted:

I wonder how much of it is left over redundancy from when they bought out EB like years ago.

The mall up the road from me still has 2 Gamestops for exactly that reason.

They've been moving away from purely game sales a while, they own Kongregate and ThinkGeek

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

I wonder how much of it is left over redundancy from when they bought out EB like years ago.

The mall up the road from me still has 2 Gamestops for exactly that reason.

Yeah the mall in the town I grew up in had 2 Gamestops for that reason up until very recently, when they finally closed the one that used to be a Babbage's and kept the one that used to be EB Games. I guess both stores just had really favorable lease terms?

150 stores is also only 2% of their total stores, which doesn't seem like too big a deal.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Given how much everybody absolutely loathes Gamestop I'm shocked they still exist.

Gamestop gets a lot of hate online but from my experience as a former employee, your average customer doesn't give a poo poo about the company's flaws. They can get all their games and gaming accessories there, including things that places like Wal-Mart and Target or wherever won't have, they can unload those older games they're never going to touch anymore ("They're only giving me four bucks for this copy of Street Fighter V, but poo poo, I'm never going to play it again!"), and the staff is usually pretty knowledgeable about games and can help them with their questions/problems.

As far as digital downloads go, as long as there's places with lovely internet and people with bad connections/no connections, Gamestop is always going to have a place.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Craftsman had better open up a whole bunch of stores so I can keep returning my tools when they break.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
New times article on amazon

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...6Kk60IxhbXVe88g

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

OwlFancier posted:

UK/US is weird.

Yeah, but you probably also pay your staff enough to care. Turns out when you pay poverty wages, the clerk will approve anything to get you to leave them alone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

duz posted:

Yeah, but you probably also pay your staff enough to care. Turns out when you pay poverty wages, the clerk will approve anything to get you to leave them alone.

Ehhhh wages aren't great here, it's more just that literally everyone from the top down would not accept goods without a receipt and I think customers expect that to be the case too. I don't even know if you can do returns without receipts to enter into the system in most stores.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Ehhhh wages aren't great here, it's more just that literally everyone from the top down would not accept goods without a receipt and I think customers expect that to be the case too. I don't even know if you can do returns without receipts to enter into the system in most stores.
Yeah, I'd expect it to be treated as some sort of scam at the expense of the store, with the offender being fired and/or reported to the police, over anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
LL Bean is famous for having an absurdly generous return policy where if something has an LL bean logo and you say you bought it you can return it forever no questions asked and the store employees will even be reprimanded if they try to argue with you.

And of course people scam it nonstop. Everyone in 100 miles of a store talks nonstop about this or that scam they ran to get a free boot. But the store openly admit that is the point. They know everyone scams them, they don't give a gently caress, they get people to endlessly advertise for them for the rest of their life at the price of some boot.

Every store could hardline on returns and the store could save 6 bucks by avoiding some low level obvious scams but its a very tiny amount of money to buy a bunch of good will and avoid bad will.