Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Isn't each COD game on a 3 year dev cycle? That would mean the plans to make this a WW2 game would have likely started over two years ago unless they pivoted heavily late in dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fivegears4reverse posted:

CoD campaigns are fun most of the time, if not overly short. I wouldn't buy a CoD for the single player alone, ever. Even CoD1 and its expansion are not games that I would say were worth their price for SP alone, but they came with multiplayer that helped keep 'em installed on my PC way back in the day.

They are usually remarkably stupid, generally everything after CoD 2 is just batshit. Even the ones people praise the most, like CoD4, have stuff that Just Doesn't Make Sense. But that's okay if its fun, and CoD generally knows to be fun first. There have been other FPS that have tried to pull off the calculated rollercoaster stuff that CoD does, but they either lack a competent developer or the funding necessary to be on par.

I'm excited for a 'modern' WW2 shooter. I'm hoping they basically lift the historical drama tone from BF1's campaign for this. Also, it'd be nice if this WW2 shooter did not have electric guitars shredding in the background like World at War did.

It's me, I'm the guy who plays CoD for the single player. I would totally pick up an HD collection on PS4 just to replay the campaigns every once in a while. Every one of them from CoD4 onwards is a blast, even if they're really stupid. Black Ops 2 was probably my favorite for multiplayer, but it's basically dead by now. :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

ImpAtom posted:

Most of them are still going to buy CoD WWII. Of those that don't, a not-insignificant number will go for Destiny 2 instead. Activision has little reason not to try to grab some of the Battlefield pie because if it works out it's a huge boon and if it doesn't then the game everyone hates and stops playing still sells more than almost every other game on the planet.

do you get the reasons why cod players play cod over battlefield or destiny or in your mind is it just "thats an FPS so they'll buy it"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't worry im sure it'll still have grindy "perks" that make it impossible for new players to join the fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

do you get the reasons why cod players play cod over battlefield or destiny or in your mind is it just "thats an FPS so they'll buy it"
i don't get the reasons why anyone would buy any of these three games, frankly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

corn in the bible posted:

Don't worry im sure it'll still have grindy "perks" that make it impossible for new players to join the fun

the only class i use on black ops 3 uses all level 1 perks and weapons and its one of the most powerful loadouts you can use. i dont even know what you mean by "grindy perks"

Endorph posted:

i play call of duty because its fun, i expect the people who play the other games also play them because they find them fun. i dont see what the mystery is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

Yes I do. I think you're the one looking at a specific hardcore crowd and not getting they are not the average for all CoD players, up to and including a good number who purchase the game for its single player campaign. Large franchises don't just survive on being good every single time, they survive on inertia, marketing, name recognition and more vague feelings and aesthetics.

In fact, I'll gladly toxx on it: Call of Duty WWII is going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Titanfall 2 will see no meaningful increase in sales. (With a * that if EA announces Titanfall 2: Championship Edition GoTY package that will probably sell pretty well.) You are not going to see a mass exodus away from Call of Duty because it goes to WW2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

gamers usually buy it to shoot brown people. they're probably gonna feel conflicted about shooting their own kind

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

Hell, I don't even own a television.

Quest For Glory II posted:

gamers usually buy it to shoot brown people. they're probably gonna feel conflicted about shooting their own kind

:rolleyes:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Stux is Right

But CoD is still gonna sell well, probably.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The real reason why so many games have such a brown color palette.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COD has been about shooting robots for last 4 years or so

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

or in the case of black ops, experiencing every single conspiracy theory all in one game

and then after you beat it you shoot zombies with jfk and nixon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes I do. I think you're the one looking at a specific hardcore crowd and not getting they are not the average for all CoD players, up to and including a good number who purchase the game for its single player campaign. Large franchises don't just survive on being good every single time, they survive on inertia, marketing, name recognition and more vague feelings and aesthetics.

In fact, I'll gladly toxx on it: Call of Duty WWII is going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Titanfall 2 will see no meaningful increase in sales. (With a * that if EA announces Titanfall 2: Championship Edition GoTY package that will probably sell pretty well.) You are not going to see a mass exodus away from Call of Duty because it goes to WW2.

IW dropped 50% in sales from black ops 3 which was itself an increase. obviously such a huge franchise isnt going to just disappear but at the same time there is a noticeable reaction to each games quality in its sales as many of the more casual players decide whether or not to buy the game based on their more hardcore friends buying it. if your buddies are sticking with black ops 3 then it gives you less reason to buy the new game unless you are just there for single player etc.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dr Cheeto posted:

Stux is Right

But CoD is still gonna sell well, probably.

This is where someone posts the Steam screenshot of all the people in the MW2 boycott group playing MW2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also every time you die in a COD you are treated to amazing historical quotes like "war is sometimes bad" and "war is really great"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The BLOPSIII campaign was actually pretty awesome. It's full of matrix style mind hacking sequences where you were destroying subconsciouses from the inside out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also every time you die in a COD you are treated to amazing historical quotes like "war is sometimes bad" and "war is really great"
is there a mod for the pc cod games that replace all the quotes with quotes from the fanfiction.txt twitter

https://twitter.com/fanfiction_txt/status/844277151327109120

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
My favorite inbetween-gameplay quote was in Air Combat when you'd crash and Chuck Yeager would laugh and say "You bought the farm."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

no one who plays the game takes it seriously with all its ridiculous dog technology and holding x to pay respects. for most people its just a very well designed and tuned multiplayer fps. doing this bit where you pretend like you cant understand someone else enjoying something you dont is a bit played out now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play the IW campaign but the multi seems horrible. Wish I could pay for separate packages.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

is there a mod for the pc cod games that replace all the quotes with quotes from the fanfiction.txt twitter

https://twitter.com/fanfiction_txt/status/844277151327109120
thats a good fuckin idea, emphasis on Fuckin :twisted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

My favorite inbetween-gameplay quote was in Air Combat when you'd crash and Chuck Yeager would laugh and say "You bought the farm."

Its the man not the machine

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I remember in cod4 all the quotes were real earnest "war is great rah rah freedom" stuff and then in mw2 they were replaced by really heinous Rumsfeld poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think most of them have the balls to defend actual literal WW2 Hitler-Nazis, they just like to hem and haw and whine about how they're not Nazis, they're merely Naziesque.

There is a growing contingent of "Hitler was just misunderstood" and/or "the Holocaust never happened" people on YouTube, though they're still a minority even among the ~*~alt-right~*~

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
also the quotes thing is another thing that was dropped like 4 years ago now except for IW which uses in game stuff like "Freedom is a fundamental Earth born flaw"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Far Cry 6 taking some cues from Resident Evil 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIyJxTilvI

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In the EU all those quotes are replaced with "please enjoy war responsibly", it's why I voted leave

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is it weird that I watched that trailer and thought it was... kinda great?

Like not in the sense that it made me think this game would be any good. But yes in that it made me think "good or bad, I really want to play this"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

I decided to get Twilight Princess HD because it's a Zelda game I haven't given a fair shot. I find myself wishing that they'd gone for a colorful aesthetic like Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild so that the Twilight sections would look even more alien. I do really love the geometric, black-and-neon Twilight aesthetics, though.

Yeah I have several problems with TP but the major one is definitely the color palette, and that's something a remaster can't fix. It's like there's a grey filter over everything, not pleasant. It's so odd that that's the direction they chose to take immediately after the vibrant world of wind waker.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cardboard Box A posted:

Die Young is one of the best Sabbath songs from the excellent Dio era, if I may. That groovin' synth jam in the trailer was not bad though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The m1 garand owns. The last CoD game i bought was a ww2 game and i might actually contemplate getting the new CoD unlike the previous entries. Probably wont get it though. Plenty of mp f2p fps games for me to get the 6 hours a year I desire of that kind of gameplay.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoBWUs8poYU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I have several problems with TP but the major one is definitely the color palette, and that's something a remaster can't fix. It's like there's a grey filter over everything, not pleasant. It's so odd that that's the direction they chose to take immediately after the vibrant world of wind waker.

They wanted to play up the maturity of zelda/nintendo. Development probably started around the same time they were trying to make resident evil gamecube exclusive and a bunch of other moves like that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Well, it was a direct response to the backlash and desire for a more serious Zelda in the vein of that spaceworld demo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

They wanted to play up the maturity of zelda/nintendo. Development probably started around the same time they were trying to make resident evil gamecube exclusive and a bunch of other moves like that.

Yeah, I get that impression. There's a lot of close ups of wolf link looking REAL MAD and poo poo like that. Glad Nintendo figured out that their series about a dude wearing a green dress fighting ancient evils didn't have to be so grim.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Also I don't understand why "more mature Zelda" necessarily has to translate to "muted color palette" but I suppose it was the age of your gears of war and such.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
incredible game design idea of zelda 2: let the player get all the way to the last two palaces before saying "oh by the way if you missed any of those four magic containers have fun walking all the way back to pick them up so you can get the only magic in the game that lets you defeat the penultimate boss"

i don't think i'm going to finish zelda 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box A posted:

I wonder when an EA or Ubisoft will finally glom on to the idea of viral marketing a game by at first pretending it's some unrelated indie game until 3 months before release when they go "SURPRISE, DIE ALONE ACTUALLY IS LITERALLY FAR CRY 6"

e: and that game looks interesting and bad or maybe good, there are too many layers of irony for this early in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

why would they do this and ruin the game. who wants to go back to mud and brown and lovely old guns and olive tanks when we've had jetpacks and wallrunning and spaceships and laser cannons and lightning guns. why.

because there's nothing else like the sound you get after emptying the clip of an m1 garand

• Locked thread