Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

LuiCypher posted:

When did he do this?

He also said in an interview that G Gundam is part of the UC timeline, but I am pretty sure that was just him being a big joker about people that kept asking him if G Reco happened before or after Turn A or whatever. He's definitely said he likes it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

He also said in an interview that G Gundam is part of the UC timeline, but I am pretty sure that was just him being a big joker about people that kept asking him if G Reco happened before or after Turn A or whatever. He's definitely said he likes it though!

Well, there's an explicit G Gundam reference in Turn-A which is more than most other stuff got.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Both Geass and (barring a massive fuckup in the ending) IBO are shows where I think having one 30 episode series instead of 2 25 episode series would have made a way better product without actually losing much.

This is true about 100% of 50 episode shows.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bimmi posted:

At least MSG and G had actual promo spots made, which I actually saw with my own eyes a few times while watching other shows. Never saw a single drat thing for SEED or any of the other Gundams, despite seeing endless promos for whatever other trash they were running on their anime blocks at the time.

They made commercials for all the Gundam shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVC_d1tMLc

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I guess they just couldn't fit them in, what with spots for Inuyasha and Wolf's Rain running 12 to the hour.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
started watching reconguista and someone finally says what ive been thinking this whole time

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kuvo posted:

started watching reconguista and someone finally says what ive been thinking this whole time

Welcome to Tomino Naming Process 101. The course will be taught by a renowned expert on the subject, Shot Weapon.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to Tomino Naming Process 101. The course will be taught by a renowned expert on the subject, Shot Weapon.

Piloting some kind of... Gun Dam?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gundam Naming 101:

UC:
Throw two names together, one of which probably is a random collection of sounds.

CE:
Take a normal name, spell it stupid.

G:
Your name better tell us what country you come from.

AW:
Just be kind of boring.

AD:
BRING STABBITY

AG:
If your name can't be shouted dramatically in full while also sounding stupid as hell then get the gently caress out of here.

PD:
Have somewhat weird but fitting names and/or are a delicious baked good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AC: Your name better better have a number in it somewhere in some language or you are gonna get horribly killed while screaming about guns and/or dams.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Build Fighters: Your name will be mostly normal, except for when your name (or character) is a reference to a past Gundam show.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mimir posted:

Piloting some kind of... Gun Dam?

Joke's on you - he makes Aura Battlers!

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam Naming 101:

CC: There's only one, and I hope you like mathematical concepts.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wing on crunchy too now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam Naming 101:

UC:
Throw two names together, one of which probably is a random collection of sounds.

CE:
Take a normal name, spell it stupid.

G:
Your name better tell us what country you come from.

AW:
Just be kind of boring.

AD:
BRING STABBITY

AG:
If your name can't be shouted dramatically in full while also sounding stupid as hell then get the gently caress out of here.

PD:
Have somewhat weird but fitting names and/or are a delicious baked good.

:objection:

The dumb names in AD were psuedonyms in the case of the Gundam Meisters, their real names were generally quite mundane.

The Innovades, however...

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7GJBFpTW8

This dropped pretty quietly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that was very pretty, but even slick animation can't save a Dopp fighter from being garbage.
What were those souped up GMs? They looked like they had full burnern shoulder plating.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
While we're on the subject of names, did Tomino follow any logic in naming mobile suits, aside from Gundam and Zaku? Like, how did he come up with Gelgoog, or The O?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Schneider Heim posted:

While we're on the subject of names, did Tomino follow any logic in naming mobile suits, aside from Gundam and Zaku? Like, how did he come up with Gelgoog, or The O?

This reminds me of a joke a friend of mine told me about how they must come up with the wackier names by beating the poo poo outta an intern while someone writes down the noises he makes. Hence names like Bawoo or Gelgoog. As for the actual naming process,I have no idea.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7GJBFpTW8&t=2s New Thunderbolt episode on Gundam Info.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

While 'Gelgoog' is probably just a Random Space Name, the The O might have some logic behind it. Its sister unit is the Pallas Athena, and 'theos' is the Greek word for 'god'.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh no, Zeon has Fyana!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I should mention that most of that A Baoa Qu opening sequence was anime-original. Pretty rad idea on their part.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I've heard The O is short for "The Oberon" but I don't know where that comes from.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've heard The O is short for "The Oberon" but I don't know where that comes from.

Probably from that its counterpart (which afaik has only shown up in MSV) is called Titania.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

I should mention that most of that A Baoa Qu opening sequence was anime-original. Pretty rad idea on their part.

It was a really good way to transition between arcs and also a really good way to introduce Carlyle as a badass without just having to say that she is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/845360572053012481

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

very few of them mean anything. there's an interview from way back where tomino says that he just put together random sounds and assigned them to suits at random until he hit on one that had a sound that fit the suit. i know the dias line is named after the explorer bartolomeu dias, tho

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Zeta Gundam has some greek mythology names here and there. Most obvious example: The Titans. Less obvious example: Qubeley is written with the same kana that spell Cybele IIRC. I remember reading somewhere that The O is meant to stand for "The Olympus" but I'm only like 75% sure of that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There are so many possibilities for a Greek mythology-themed name for The O.

The Olympus
The Orion
The Odyssey/Odysseus
The Orpheus
The Oedipus

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of names in Zeta Gundam, I always thought it was thematically weird that Quattro and Four almost have the same name.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It was a really good way to transition between arcs and also a really good way to introduce Carlyle as a badass without just having to say that she is.

Particularly since the first season didn't really build up much confidence in the story's female characters. Showing us women being cool and competent right from the start goes a long way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus it is nice to see the A Baoa Qu hellstorm in such detail.

What was that smaller rock the Federation lady was going for while the main battle was being fought? It looked like Solomon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Great ep. And even as I say this, it looked really good... but it definitely seems like they stepped down the animation quality. It feels more high TV quality than OVA. The characters still have some sketchiness but it seems like there is a lot more CG and simpler designs overall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's the change of setting. The thunderbolt sector was an active shoal zone so they'd need to bump up the animation to effectively convey the chaos. Similarly the A Baoa Qu fight looks terrific. But the later stuff with zeon remnants on earth is more low key and therefore cheaper to make.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the helpful replies, especially on The O's.

Also, in my native language, Sazabi means "In Zabi", so that's pretty curious for me...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"Sa" is how you write the English word "The" in katakana, so Sazabi could be read as TheZabi (Not The Zabi though, that's different).

It's probably coincidence but you never know.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

"Sa" is how you write the English word "The" in katakana, so Sazabi could be read as TheZabi (Not The Zabi though, that's different).

It's probably coincidence but you never know.

I always wondered about that but never looked into it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I'm going through the IBO dub to refresh on the plot of season one going into the last few s2 episodes and I was wondering if there's ever been any official word why they changed the pronunciations of Barbatos and Tekkadan so much. Are they somehow more accurate? They do it with other names too but those two are the most egregious.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Maybe I'll try watching Wing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
0083 is really hard to get through but it looks much much better coming from watching 0079 and zeta.