Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Anyone know of a good smartphone mount for a bike with clip on handlebars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Flikken posted:

Anyone know of a good smartphone mount for a bike with clip on handlebars?

Ram mount, still. They have a bunch of different mounts. You can probably find one with a corresponding bolt size of something on gauge area. Such as a fairing bolt, and I think I've seen people mount it onto the bolts for the master cylinder or something else on the bar that has bolts.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I always go for a phone specific mount as well, rather than the universal clamping ones. Much more secure.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP18U

Like that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The master cylinder mount is cool. It goes on top of the master cylinder and adds their ball joint.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Slip grip mounts are absolutely amazing and they work with ram bases. Theyre abs platic and molded to fit yiur phone, it snaps in.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 26, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

So... the fork guards on the 2008 KTM 690 smc/enduro are different from every other 690 smc/enduro in how they mount.

New style:

Mine (see different bolt placement) (Note that the only picture I could find of mine happens to be for some old stock $$$$ carbon protectors):

I have scoured the internet and cannot find a pair of fork guards like mine, only the new style. I can't even replace the ends of the forks with the new style mount points, because it looks like that only comes as part of a brand new set of forks.

What the hell am I supposed to do?!

Edit:
Looks like ADVrider has tried making their own mounts, and cutting the guard to fit. Maybe there is another KTM model that has my bolt patern for fork guards?

After weeks of research, including KTMtwins not finding my fork guards, I made a random last ditch call to the local KTM dealer in Georgia http://www.ktmworld.com/ . There is a parts expert there with 100,000 miles on his own 690 SMC, and he found the guards I needed in seconds. I picked up the updated rocker arms while I was at it since I need to do the valve check soon.

Plus, I got a wealth of information during the call. Fantastic guy, and I feel confirmed in wanting to keep this 690 forever (I know I said that about the EX250 shh).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What do people usually do for bedding brakes? I'm going to be putting some new EBC pads on soon, and they have an interesting procedure (compared to what I'm used to on cars):

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

They want you to ride 300 miles, then do the typical 10 fast stops to bed them.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Going to sell my 2006 BMW F650gs.

It has been sitting in a storage unit for 6+ months, and I was a dummy and didn't disconnect the battery, and didn't have a way to trickle charge it.

Tried to fire it up but no lights turned on. Hooked up a boost jumper setup, lights would come on, and the engine would turnover and run just fine, but the battery wouldn't hold a charge I think. It would die when the booster unit cutoff or was disconnected.

I need a multimeter, but guessing the battery is beyond dead- my super simple battery tender did nothing to it but blink as if nothing was connected. Battery is an AGM from 2014.

Should I just buy a cheap lead acid battery that fits? User manual specs one out and I can find things at AutoZone and Walmart that will do the trick. I don't want to spend the extra bucks on am AGM just to sell it, but I certainly need the bike to run to sell it. Am I screwing a future owner horribly? AGM in this bike makes sense since it involves 6+ torx screws and seat/plastic removal just to get access to the leads.

Oil, coolant, chain, tires, controls all look good. Bike needs a cleaning. Is there anything else needed before selling?

Going to get a WR250R and some sumo wheels to replace this bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

What do people usually do for bedding brakes? I'm going to be putting some new EBC pads on soon, and they have an interesting procedure (compared to what I'm used to on cars):

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

They want you to ride 300 miles, then do the typical 10 fast stops to bed them.

I go around the block until the brakes start working ok, then i do a few lunatic brakes without coming to a stop, ride around gently some more so they don't get too hot, rinse and repeat until they stop gud. Brand or variety or type of bike don't seem to make a difference.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I go around the block until the brakes start working ok, then i do a few lunatic brakes without coming to a stop, ride around gently some more so they don't get too hot, rinse and repeat until they stop gud. Brand or variety or type of bike don't seem to make a difference.

Yeah the 300 miles of soft use are only for if you have badly-worn or scored disks, to let them wear to an identical profile. If you heat-cycle them before they've done that they'll never get to full power and (because of the reduced contact patch) will probably glaze pretty badly. Realistically, as long as your disks don't feel like a vinyl record when you run a thumbnail over them, you really only need 10 or 20 soft brake applications to do that, but it's not surprising they err on the side of caution.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I enjoyed the humming/buzzing whine my new discs and pads made before they were bedded in. Sounded vaguely electric, it was cool to hear.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
On a side note, If you need to do brake caliper work/ change discs etc and still got old rubber with textile reinforcement brake lines, take the the time to swap to new steel braided lines, it really helps with brake feel.

In the process I cut the old line and it was from (inner to outer) rubber, 2 layers of textile reinforcement, outer rubber)

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Im taking my MSF course next Saturday and I'm wondering how bad of an idea is it to daily commute on a motorcycle in NYC, specifically on the BQE, if anyone here has experience doing that.

Probably not something I'd start until I was a lot more comfortable with recreational riding but it would decrease my commute from an hour and 10 minutes to like 20 minutes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tomahawk posted:

Im taking my MSF course next Saturday and I'm wondering how bad of an idea is it to daily commute on a motorcycle in NYC, specifically on the BQE, if anyone here has experience doing that.

Probably not something I'd start until I was a lot more comfortable with recreational riding but it would decrease my commute from an hour and 10 minutes to like 20 minutes.

Do you have a spot to park your bike? There's really nowhere in midtown to park it. Otherwise, it's fine you just need to be hyper aware because people are bad at driving and there is an excess of people. I would ride a bit and practice a lot of emergency stops and swerving first so you're comfortable. Also, be aware of the motorcycle only checkpoints and beware of cops hanging out to catch you lane splitting at the bottom of bridges.

Where are you taking it?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

Also, be aware of the motorcycle only checkpoints and beware of cops hanging out to catch you lane splitting at the bottom of bridges.

What are motorcycle only checkpoints looking for?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Only motorcycles.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Missing hyphens

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://www.nymstf.org/cas/about-motorcycle-only-checkpoints/

dont know how accurate that is but lol

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
And people say California is kkkkomunist.

"The objective is to pull over every single motorcycle and only motorcycles, regardless of any lack of suspicion of wrongdoing, and go fishing for violations. "

"The motorcycle-only checkpoints are mostly theater. Profitable theater."

gently caress newengland.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Also, be aware of the motorcycle only checkpoints and beware of cops hanging out to catch you lane splitting at the bottom of bridges.

cursedshitbox posted:

"The objective is to pull over every single motorcycle and only motorcycles, regardless of any lack of suspicion of wrongdoing, and go fishing for violations. "

"The motorcycle-only checkpoints are mostly theater. Profitable theater."

This is absolute bullshit. FTP

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

builds character posted:

Do you have a spot to park your bike? There's really nowhere in midtown to park it. Otherwise, it's fine you just need to be hyper aware because people are bad at driving and there is an excess of people. I would ride a bit and practice a lot of emergency stops and swerving first so you're comfortable. Also, be aware of the motorcycle only checkpoints and beware of cops hanging out to catch you lane splitting at the bottom of bridges.

Where are you taking it?

I'd be going from Astoria to Dumbo and it seems like there's always a spot for motorcycles in both areas I'm in.

And thank you that's great advice.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

This poo poo sounds like the motorcycle equivalent of stop and frisk. Wonder why the AMA isn't all over it. Guess they're too busy fighting helmet laws

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Just a YUUUUGE FYI:

New York is NOT New England

Thank u and god bless

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tomahawk posted:

I'd be going from Astoria to Dumbo and it seems like there's always a spot for motorcycles in both areas I'm in.

And thank you that's great advice.

Also, the BQE has some huge potholes so just be on the look out for those.

Jazzzzz posted:

This poo poo sounds like the motorcycle equivalent of stop and frisk. Wonder why the AMA isn't all over it. Guess they're too busy fighting helmet laws

That's about right.

EX250 Type R posted:

Just a YUUUUGE FYI:

Thank u and god bless

Amen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

Just a YUUUUGE FYI:

Thank u and god bless

York is in England, therefore New York is in New England.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

York is in England, therefore New York is in New England.

Except it was new amsterdam and was a dutch colony while new england was exactly that, new england.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

EX250 Type R posted:

Except it was new amsterdam and was a dutch colony while new england was exactly that, new england.

Why'd they change it?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

its all nice on rice posted:

Why'd they change it?

Conquest

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Why'd they change it?

I can't say.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Do I need to do anything to store my bike for 2-3 weeks? It's gonna be put into a small garage and hooked to a battery tender, but should I bother putting it up on the pitbull stands, or just leave it tilted over. I'm probably overworrying regardless but I normally ride it every day.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TheNothingNew posted:

I can't say.

People just liked it better that way.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gillingham posted:

Do I need to do anything to store my bike for 2-3 weeks? It's gonna be put into a small garage and hooked to a battery tender, but should I bother putting it up on the pitbull stands, or just leave it tilted over. I'm probably overworrying regardless but I normally ride it every day.

Nah it's fine. Battery is probably fine, too, but a tender is nice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

Actually, they are making sure you've got the right to ride dirt bikes on Native American land. MAGA!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Why'd they change it?

Serious answer, after almost a hundred years of on-again off-again war with the Dutch, we swapped Manhattan for two tiny islands in Micronesia which were the only places where nutmeg grew. The Dutch thought they'd got an amazing deal because nutmeg was worth considerably more than it's weight in gold while Manhattan just had some swampy, marginal farmland. Unfortunately we neglected to tell the Dutch we'd cracked how to grow nutmeg elsewhere, making the islands worthless, scamps that we were.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gillingham posted:

Nah. If you have the stand it doesn't hurt putting it up, but if you don't I wouldn't worry for it for such a short time. It's one thing if you're storing it for several months, but for just a couple of weeks you don't really need to do anything. The tender is nice though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"The motorcycle-only checkpoints or MOCs started in 2007 as simple revenge. In April of 2006, New York State Police Trooper Craig J. Todeschini attempted to chase down a reckless speeder on a motorcycle. His police-issued 4WD Chevy Tahoe SUV simply wasn’t the right tool to chase down a 1000cc sportbike. His zeal exceeded his skills and the capabilities of his equipment, and he died when he lost control of his truck and struck a tree during the chase."

Daaaaaamn re: "his zeal exceeded his skills," not making friends with that page.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Serious answer, after almost a hundred years of on-again off-again war with the Dutch, we swapped Manhattan for two tiny islands in Micronesia which were the only places where nutmeg grew. The Dutch thought they'd got an amazing deal because nutmeg was worth considerably more than it's weight in gold while Manhattan just had some swampy, marginal farmland. Unfortunately we neglected to tell the Dutch we'd cracked how to grow nutmeg elsewhere, making the islands worthless, scamps that we were.

Shouldn't have had Minh Souphanousinphone at the bargaining table.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Tomahawk posted:

You already know that's a crazy highway overall at any time of day, but you're looking at the better stretch of it with more lanes and better surface condition. Daytime is always bumper to bumper traffic. Nighttime can be clear but then you always get a few people doubling the speed limit so watch out for that. I grew up on driving and (later on) riding that BQE/Gowanus>Belt stretch and I think that cops and moto checkpoints are the least of your worries out there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm not just whoring out another picture of my bike, here (now with yellower fork guards!). Help me decide what to do with the wheels, please.

-Leave them black
-Half 'n half colors solid (too much color?)
-Half 'n half colors horizontal stripes
-Make rim strips and do Half 'n half? (I like this but I don't know if straight strips can go down on a curve.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Needs an orange or brown or something towards the back somewhere.

Orrrrr paint half the wheels orange?
Or maybe just the spokes?