Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senerio posted:

It's just the 60 kills iirc
people aren't really sure, so better safe than sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's fair. I don't remember whether I killed them all with mightgaine but I don't think so. I got it and they had like 65 kills between them so

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Midjack posted:

Is there a "how to SRW" guide somewhere? I dusted off my GBA to play SRW OG to learn these games, and I've gotten to level 17 where if anyone on my side dies it's game over. All my robots can be two shotted by just about any enemy, and it takes at least three attacks to kill even the weakest enemy. I think I'm underleveled, or upgraded incorrectly, or am not using Spirits right since my people run out of energy after one or two uses. All the FAQs I find say it's a great easy level to make mad bank on, but they're much better than I am.

I'm assuming you're playing OG1 and you're taking the Kyosuke route.
Focus on getting to the target point. Killing enemies is completely optional. Units can board battleships at a cost of 10 Will (to a minimum of 100) which recharges their EN and ammo, regens their HP over time, and protects your fragile units.
Be patient and don't overextend in an attempt to kill the further enemies. That won't win the map.
That mission sucks. Goondolences. Ryusei route's story is the canon one, anyway :P

For generic OG1+OG2 advice:
  • Leveling in SRW is almost never a problem, and the games can be beaten without upgrading. Worst case scenario, eat the Game Over and restart the map with the extra money and experience from the first attempt, but this locks you out of that map's SR point in OG2.
  • Press B while on the map to bring up the tile stats. Non-airborne units will gain a bonus to their Evasion and Defense depending on the terrain they're in. Some terrain can regen HP or EN, as well. Everybody takes advantage of Space terrain.
  • Enemies you've Scanned or fought will have their stats visible, and you can use this to control who they target. Force enemies to prioritize your tanks (be it dodge-tanking reals or supers with Prevail and Guard) by leaving them within stationary weapons range.
  • The safest way to kill enemies is to focus-fire them. The most efficient way to kill enemies is to spread damage and let them kill themselves on your units' counterattacks.
  • When you begin a map, your damage sucks. Each pilot has Will gains based off their personality (the default being +1 if you get hit, +1 if an ally dies, +1 if an enemy dies, +4 on top of that last one if you killed the enemy), and Will greatly affects your damage dealt/taken on top of available moves and modes. Take note of which of your units needs Will and make a plan for how they're going to get it. Note: Some pilots have terrible personalities that reduce their usability. Excellen and Katina in particular have terrible Will gains (although Excellen doesn't really care about Will outside of Rampage Ghost).
  • Use Support Defend to protect your fragile units that can't stay inside a battleship for one reason or another. It counts as a Defend use so you take half damage (before barriers are applied!), and it only uses the Support if the attack connects.
  • Support Attack is a very easy way to boost your damage output considerably. Keep your units in teams that allow your home run hitters to take advantage of Supports.
  • Size matters. The Giganscudo and Hiryu will take less damage from enemies and deal more damage to enemies based off their size class. You can see it on the stats screen (SS/S/M/L/LL). Smaller units get an evasion bonus, too.
  • Characters have relationship bonuses which affect their stats. These bonuses change over the game's plot accordingly and can't be checked. Friends gain Hit/Evade bonuses for being adjacent. Lovers gain damage. Rivals gain critical hit increases.
  • Teach everybody SP Regen if you can.
  • If a pilot has Prevail, it might be counter-intuitive to heal them depending on how much damage they've taken. A pilot that could get one-shotted at full HP may be invincible at low HP.
  • It's worthwhile to cast Alert as you move up the field in anticipation of enemy attacks. Just the same, cast Guard before throwing a super into a group of dudes to tank.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Caphi posted:

I'm not the only one just packing everyone onto ships on turn 1, advancing with Accel, and then redeploying on turn 2, right?

[ASK] me about throwing everyone into the Ptolemy and flying forward 14 spaces because Sumeragi loves to paint flame decals on the side of the ship

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Caphi posted:

I'm not the only one just packing everyone onto ships on turn 1, advancing with Accel, and then redeploying on turn 2, right?

That's pretty much how I got a whole bunch of early skill points in Moon Dwellers, and I see no reason to change now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caphi posted:

Redeploying? In Battleships: The Game? Why would you even need to do that?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Davzz posted:

Unless they changed it in V, Morale bonuses hasn't been a straight multiplier since Alpha Gaiden. It works by adding to your attack stat (or defense stat), which means roughly 0.4% increase per point of Morale, a bit less as your attack stat approaches the extremes.

So looking at nothing else except its effect on boosting your damage from the start, +10 starting Morale is really more like a 4% increase rather than 10%.

You're absolutely right! I must have been thinking of Will Limit Break giving you an extra 8% for +20 max Will or something! I'm on a roll for numbers hell yeah.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Endorph posted:

might gaine finishes off all the bosses from his series in stage 15, i think

also i think the gaine crew needs 60 kills between them

By the end of the routesplit? Or before I choose? If its the former I'm probably safe, but the latter will probably require feeding everything in the next stage (more or less) to the Brave crew, which may be difficult with the SR point time limit.

And since I'm unlocking the skill tree anyways I've put all the stuff I've unlocked (other than Hit&away, that was for Ruri) on Chitose, because gently caress it, lets make her even more of a poo poo wrecker.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

By the end of the routesplit, I believe.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
If you're having trouble killing Grunts in OG1/2, you should fully upgrade M950 Machine Guns, which are pretty terrible at Base but have an upgrade power/cost ratio that's so high it's basically one of few usable Equippable Weapons in the game.

Like Fire Emblem, if you're actually having difficulty against masses of enemies, the best way to tackle them is to build up a juggernaut vanguard unit or two - this should be either a unit with ridiculously high Evasion/Mobility or someone with Guard (which is rather OP from a defensive standpoint) with a decent counterattack - they don't have to kill all the units coming at them, but soften them up enough.

Then you send the Vanguards forward ahead of everyone else, while having the rest of your team stand a bit behind, let them weaken everyone with counters on attack phrase, and then sweep with the rest of your team. Rinse and repeat until you win.

This strategy is also rather SP light since the only ones that's going to be consistently using SP are said Vanguard units, leaving the rest with a bank for emergency bursting, so if you're poor at SP management, this will make things simple.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think I've ever done that, usually I don't have enough trouble getting people to a place in time and ironically the few missions I can think of where it's an issue are ones where the carrier isn't available because they tend to gimmick harder because of that.

There's a few missions in Z1 where the time limit was extremely tight (kill all enemies which some were battleships) by turn 5 when most of the units were ground units among a forest map. Every little single turn counts when you're doing a no-upgrade run.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I'm assuming you're playing OG1 and you're taking the Kyosuke route.
Focus on getting to the target point. Killing enemies is completely optional. Units can board battleships at a cost of 10 Will (to a minimum of 100) which recharges their EN and ammo, regens their HP over time, and protects your fragile units.
Be patient and don't overextend in an attempt to kill the further enemies. That won't win the map.
That mission sucks. Goondolences. Ryusei route's story is the canon one, anyway :P

For generic OG1+OG2 advice:
  • Leveling in SRW is almost never a problem, and the games can be beaten without upgrading. Worst case scenario, eat the Game Over and restart the map with the extra money and experience from the first attempt, but this locks you out of that map's SR point in OG2.
  • Press B while on the map to bring up the tile stats. Non-airborne units will gain a bonus to their Evasion and Defense depending on the terrain they're in. Some terrain can regen HP or EN, as well. Everybody takes advantage of Space terrain.
  • Enemies you've Scanned or fought will have their stats visible, and you can use this to control who they target. Force enemies to prioritize your tanks (be it dodge-tanking reals or supers with Prevail and Guard) by leaving them within stationary weapons range.
  • The safest way to kill enemies is to focus-fire them. The most efficient way to kill enemies is to spread damage and let them kill themselves on your units' counterattacks.
  • When you begin a map, your damage sucks. Each pilot has Will gains based off their personality (the default being +1 if you get hit, +1 if an ally dies, +1 if an enemy dies, +4 on top of that last one if you killed the enemy), and Will greatly affects your damage dealt/taken on top of available moves and modes. Take note of which of your units needs Will and make a plan for how they're going to get it. Note: Some pilots have terrible personalities that reduce their usability. Excellen and Katina in particular have terrible Will gains (although Excellen doesn't really care about Will outside of Rampage Ghost).
  • Use Support Defend to protect your fragile units that can't stay inside a battleship for one reason or another. It counts as a Defend use so you take half damage (before barriers are applied!), and it only uses the Support if the attack connects.
  • Support Attack is a very easy way to boost your damage output considerably. Keep your units in teams that allow your home run hitters to take advantage of Supports.
  • Size matters. The Giganscudo and Hiryu will take less damage from enemies and deal more damage to enemies based off their size class. You can see it on the stats screen (SS/S/M/L/LL). Smaller units get an evasion bonus, too.
  • Characters have relationship bonuses which affect their stats. These bonuses change over the game's plot accordingly and can't be checked. Friends gain Hit/Evade bonuses for being adjacent. Lovers gain damage. Rivals gain critical hit increases.
  • Teach everybody SP Regen if you can.
  • If a pilot has Prevail, it might be counter-intuitive to heal them depending on how much damage they've taken. A pilot that could get one-shotted at full HP may be invincible at low HP.
  • It's worthwhile to cast Alert as you move up the field in anticipation of enemy attacks. Just the same, cast Guard before throwing a super into a group of dudes to tank.

Thanks, this is the sort of thing I was looking for.

Before I saw your reply, I ended up beating that level by not moving the battleship while mobbing my entire force against one enemy at a time, then suiciding all but two of my forces and parking the survivors where the robot objective squares would appear after the Hagane reached its objective. Then just moved the Hagane straight for its objective square. It worked, but it cost just about all the money I earned on the level to resurrect everyone and I was wondering how you were supposed to turn a profit on this level. Didn't realize you could land robots on a carrier though, I could have parked the lovely Gespensts in there and not had to worry about them.

I also didn't realize you could retry the stage while keeping the money and experience; I reloaded my save as soon as I saw the game over screen. How do you get to the point where counterattacking isn't suicide? My units can't take more than two hits so evading is really the only thing I can do if I don't want everyone to die in the first four turns. Also it sounds like some pilots have spirits that are worth using so far everyone seems to have garbage like "+10% to your next evade" which isn't worth going into the menu to activate.

Davzz posted:

If you're having trouble killing Grunts in OG1/2, you should fully upgrade M950 Machine Guns, which are pretty terrible at Base but have an upgrade power/cost ratio that's so high it's basically one of few usable Equippable Weapons in the game.

Like Fire Emblem, if you're actually having difficulty against masses of enemies, the best way to tackle them is to build up a juggernaut vanguard unit or two - this should be either a unit with ridiculously high Evasion/Mobility or someone with Guard (which is rather OP from a defensive standpoint) with a decent counterattack - they don't have to kill all the units coming at them, but soften them up enough.

Then you send the Vanguards forward ahead of everyone else, while having the rest of your team stand a bit behind, let them weaken everyone with counters on attack phrase, and then sweep with the rest of your team. Rinse and repeat until you win.

This strategy is also rather SP light since the only ones that's going to be consistently using SP are said Vanguard units, leaving the rest with a bank for emergency bursting, so if you're poor at SP management, this will make things simple.

This seems like it would work but literally none of my force can withstand more than about 5 hits from anything. This is why I was thinking I was underleveled; for a game called "Super Robot Wars" all my robots are pretty loving weak.

I started this before Moon Dwellers and V were out; I have both but wanted to get through OG1 first. Would those be better to learn on?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uh, every spirit command in the game is insanely good (except mercy) and it's worth casting focus (+30% to your accuracy/evade for an entire turn) every single turn if you can afford to. Maybe that's why you're having trouble?

Oh, unless you mean alert? But alert is also good, since it's cheap and completely invalidates an enemy attack a turn.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 25, 2017

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Holy cow, definitely cast spirit commands. Abuse them as much as possible if a scenario is hard. This can't be emphasized enough.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Conserving SP is never the answer

Even in later stages where you're going to need a lot of spells the right thing to do is game the system to get more

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I generally use seishins near the beginning of stages before my morale/will/focus/whatever they call it next is high enough to dodge effectively, then not so much in the middle, and then again in the end of a boss shows up of something.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Basically Spirit Commands are the things that put you ahead of the hordes of enemies. Whether it's defensive spirits like Iron Wall (reduce all damage you take by 75% for your phase and the next enemy phase) or Alert (nullify the next attack) or things like Yell to get your finishers quicker and Trust for healing, spirits are super useful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'll go back and see what my pilots have. They were all pretty worthless early on and I never got into the habit of using them; the ones you describe sound more useful. Alert is one I think is crummy since you can't control if the next thing that shoots at you is a popgun or a Death Star laser, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

I'll go back and see what my pilots have. They were all pretty worthless early on and I never got into the habit of using them; the ones you describe sound more useful. Alert is one I think is crummy since you can't control if the next thing that shoots at you is a popgun or a Death Star laser, though.

Sure you can. Remember that when you attack an enemy they get a counterattack. Alert is for nullifying enemy counter attacks or map weapons.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the subject of counterattacks, remember that you get counterattacks. Many Battle Masteries simply come down to making a habit of positioning yourself to knock more enemies out on their turn, instead of going for the kill.

Most of Super Robot Wars is played on the enemy phase. Half the strategy is setting them up. (The other half is simple resource management.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of that, I'm now pretty used to being able to use seishins during the enemy's turn, and worry that it will be hard to go back to a SRW game where you can't do that.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, I'm now pretty used to being able to use seishins during the enemy's turn, and worry that it will be hard to go back to a SRW game where you can't do that.

Same :(

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
You know what? I totally forgot-- OG1 and OG2 are the only games where you can check relationship bonuses. In OG1, if you hover over a unit for a while it'll flash blue orbs over anybody related to that character. In OG2, it's a blue orb for friendship/rivalry or a heart for love. Bonuses can stack, and in OG2 it'll flash between the icons if somebody has multiple bonuses. Also, the bonuses come in multiple levels (each level of Love is +5% damage, for example, and love can be one-sided in various ratios).

This really only matters if you're doing min-maxy bullshit like trying to one-shot end bosses. You really want to have Lune next to Masaki at all times, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I don't think OG1 had relationship bonuses.

You could check Friendship in a similar way in J/W, though.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Midjack posted:

I started this before Moon Dwellers and V were out; I have both but wanted to get through OG1 first. Would those be better to learn on?
Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by "better to learn on" - like I don't know if you would learn anything from playing games that are ultra easy except the basics.

OG1 is actually pretty easy as far as SRW goes with only a handful of spikes. Despite their claims of being beginner friendly, OG MD is still the 5th (?) game in a series and kinda assumes you know all the old units from the previous games by dropping them all in your lap early and I think you would struggle with it if OG1 is giving yo uissues. Maybe beginner's mode makes it very easy though, no personal experience there.

I hear SRW V is notably easy even by Famitsu standards, so if that floats your boat, go ahead and play that one first. One of the advantage with SRW games past OG1 is that you generally don't have to worry about "investing" in the wrong units since they tend to throw a bunch of Main Character tier units very early while OG1 has a more traditional SRPG approach where you're meant to move from crap units to better ones and make correct upgrade choices with no refunds... though of course, people have done the game NUR.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

I don't think OG1 had relationship bonuses.

You could check Friendship in a similar way in J/W, though.

They were there as far back as SRW R

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

In SRW R you could even make Raul/Fiona befriend everyone, simply by ending the turn next to them enough times a la Fire emblem. Tthey both start with support attack/defend, so you have a good reason to do this.

I remember that in my run Fiona's first friend on the Nadesico was none other than Gai. Granted, the friendship revolved about her keeping him from exploding during the enemy phase but hey, it's something.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 25, 2017

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

I snagged this on PSN Japan after reading the OP, but didn't get to the Singapore stuff.

Is there a way to change the language or did I make a very expensive, complex mistake?

Edit: found the answer I'm a god drat moron

StoicRomance fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StoicRomance posted:

I snagged this on PSN Japan after reading the OP, but didn't get to the Singapore stuff.

Is there a way to change the language or did I make a very expensive, complex mistake?

Edit: found the answer I'm a god drat moron
:rip:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There are lots of games these days that are multi-language in the same release, but this is definitely not one of them. It's usually an undocumented feature anyway so yeah, I've made mistakes too.

edit: though usually it was thinking that a Japanese game sold in the US had a Japanese language option, but it didn't.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 25, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You know, thread, I just thought we haven't taken time enough to appreciate an important little thing in V: no more Scan or revealing enemy stats.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

You know, thread, I just thought we haven't taken time enough to appreciate an important little thing in V: no more Scan or revealing enemy stats.

I didn't even notice that. I do like having Analyze to increase damage though. It's the only reason I got the SR Point on Stage 22. It was just the edge Banjo needed to finish the bastard off with Sun Attack.

I think I need to just put every dash part I come across/buy onto my battleships, to maximize the 'load up, accel across, unload, fight.'.

I also realize that having to do that makes the '+10 Focus on Launch' kind of terrible, since you lose it the moment you dock.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Caphi posted:

My favorite new addition is that Fortune lasts until you actually score a kill. I've been breaking open a Fairy Breath at the start of every map, and I'm almost out of things to spend money on before the game even finishes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hunter Noventa posted:

I also realize that having to do that makes the '+10 Focus on Launch' kind of terrible, since you lose it the moment you dock.

You only lose 5 for docking afaik, which still puts you 5 closer to having your good moves when you do unload!

Broken Loose posted:

My favorite new addition is that Fortune lasts until you actually score a kill. I've been breaking open a Fairy Breath at the start of every map, and I'm almost out of things to spend money on before the game even finishes.

Bless staying on has been in since Z3 (I don't think it was in anything sooner) and its good as hell. Fairy Breath is such a good item too! No scanning is amazing considering Z3 made auto scan a Z crystal perk and spending 1 sp on scanning a boss to get a peek at its moves rarely made any sort of difference to how many spells a support guy could cast so it was just needless busy work.

Midjack posted:

Alert is really strong. Generally Focus is good enough until you get to a boss to keep your tiny guys alive, but Alert is pretty necessary to not having your squishier robots instantly blown up by a boss. Strike, Focus and Alert will be the 3 most used spells and you will probably use them every single turn for a long time, especially because OG1 and 2 don't let you upgrade mech accuracy as a stat.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hunter Noventa posted:

I didn't even notice that. I do like having Analyze to increase damage though. It's the only reason I got the SR Point on Stage 22. It was just the edge Banjo needed to finish the bastard off with Sun Attack.

I think I need to just put every dash part I come across/buy onto my battleships, to maximize the 'load up, accel across, unload, fight.'.

I kind of want to point out that if you'd led with Sun Attack, you'd probably have been fine, analyse or not, since it has Armor Down, so all attacks after would've done more damage.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Broken Loose posted:

This is an amazing thing I did not know and now need to take advantage of from here on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive decided they should put nier automata in super robot wars

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

Does it some with a Super Robot Wars T-Shirt?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Senerio posted:

Does it some with a Super Robot Wars T-Shirt?

poo poo Namco Bandai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

Super Fantasy Wars, starring Drakengard, Slayers, Berserk, Lodoss War and more!

• Locked thread