Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

fknlo posted:

Wasn't there at least one Porsche owner who fried the ECU by waxing the car? It created a static buildup that the electronics didn't like or something weird.

Yeah, there was a one-year only front control module that wasn't grounded properly. It's located in the frunk and is very close to the hood. The later ones have more shielding and an extra ground strap. Mine happened to fry both door control modules on the way out. I replaced them all and coded them with my Durametric software. I had to replace the alternator, but that was probably a coincidence since it was 8 years old. It ever was quite right after that, though. The only other issues I had was a clutch replacement after owning it for two months, and out-of-stock shifter cables that I fixed with zip ties. I couldn't stomach the $600 aftermarket ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
False alarm-- it was just PSM off. It's hidden behind the steering wheel somewhat.
16.9 gal tank and about 25.5 mpg. So roughly 400mi range.

E: dammit, overwrite my post about the tacky pedals.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 5, 2017

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Boxster prices are pretty rock bottom right now, I'm now toying with buying one and putting some fat tires on it/raising the suspension Ala rally car.

What is wrong with me?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
poo poo I didn't check this thread for a couple of days. Are you still in Staunton, VA? That's where I work, we could grab lunch or something tomorrow if you're still here/up for it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

poo poo I didn't check this thread for a couple of days. Are you still in Staunton, VA? That's where I work, we could grab lunch or something tomorrow if you're still here/up for it.

Am now back in Boston :(. I had thought blue crabs didn't have a season, but apparently nobody was selling them steamed, which was maybe my biggest disappointment of the trip.
1400mi and the car seems no worse for the wear. Need to sleep this trip off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
People drive strangely in VA because 80+ is an automatic reckless where you literally go to jail immediately.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
You don't go to jail immediately unless you're above 90 I think. However, going either 20+ mph over posted limit, or going 80+ at all, will definitely get you a reckless driving ticket. Reckless Driving is a Big Deal in VA, and is a class 1 misdemeanor criminal charge.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's 20 over the posted limit for reckless. VA is weird too because most of the reputation for being super strict about speeding comes from Northern VA. My area hardly gives a gently caress about it, I rarely ever see cops running radar, and I set my cruise at 85mph most days. I have one speeding ticket (I think it's the only moving violation I have period) on my record.

Kimbo, glad you made it home safe, the new ride looks good.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 6, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Same. RVA doesn't give a poo poo mostly. It's all them yankee carpetbaggers up nawf.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

In the middle of my glorious desert state on the way to Las Vegas the posted limit is 80 MPH. Average above is usually 5 over. If you're going more than that don't expect leniency from the highway patrol. Kind of hard to argue that you needed to be doing 90.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A lot of western states have 80mph limits on the interstate now. I don't think you would get pulled over for going 90 in the middle of Montana but I keep it a bit below that most of the time anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Having driven this car for a while now, the following things stand out compared to the 348:
- takes a lot of getting used to this shifter. The lever is pretty short, but the throw angle is still quite large, so your wrist works through quite an angle during shifts. And the gates are definitely not precise.
- both cars have a floor hinged gas pedal, which helps with heel-toeing. I haven't mastered timing and RPMs drops for letting out the clutch nicely. The tach seems to lag somewhat, as I've seen it hang at one speed while it was definitely at a lower speed for there to have been no bucking. I can't seem to blip less than +2000 rpm even if I go really lightly.
- the blind spots with the top up are significant. There was twice that an SUV was completely hidden at my 4 o'clock that I could only see by its lights on the ground
- the torque is really really nice. Bench racing shows the 348 has more torque across the range at about the same weight, but that's not borne out by butt dyno
- the top 3 gears on the Boxster might as well be the same under 50mph. This didn't need to be a 6 speed if they were doing these ratios.
- Only drove it hard on the backroads by my folks' house in NC. It's amazingly neutral in low speed turns, but gets more understeery in faster corners or if you try to add speed too soon. You can't apply power oversteer the way you could with the 348 or Z06. At least dialing out understeer from the rear doesn't feel apparent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Arizona peaks out at 75mph, but 85+ anywhere is criminal speeding. I got two when I was younger and was putting 2-3k miles on motorcycles a month. I think they ended up costing me around $750 a pop.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Having driven this car for a while now, the following things stand out compared to the 348:
- takes a lot of getting used to this shifter. The lever is pretty short, but the throw angle is still quite large, so your wrist works through quite an angle during shifts. And the gates are definitely not precise.
- both cars have a floor hinged gas pedal, which helps with heel-toeing. I haven't mastered timing and RPMs drops for letting out the clutch nicely. The tach seems to lag somewhat, as I've seen it hang at one speed while it was definitely at a lower speed for there to have been no bucking. I can't seem to blip less than +2000 rpm even if I go really lightly.
- the blind spots with the top up are significant. There was twice that an SUV was completely hidden at my 4 o'clock that I could only see by its lights on the ground
- the torque is really really nice. Bench racing shows the 348 has more torque across the range at about the same weight, but that's not borne out by butt dyno
- the top 3 gears on the Boxster might as well be the same under 50mph. This didn't need to be a 6 speed if they were doing these ratios.
- Only drove it hard on the backroads by my folks' house in NC. It's amazingly neutral in low speed turns, but gets more understeery in faster corners or if you try to add speed too soon. You can't apply power oversteer the way you could with the 348 or Z06. At least dialing out understeer from the rear doesn't feel apparent.

Overall how is it on the fun scale? I've never even sat in one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Overall how is it on the fun scale? I've never even sat in one.

Pretty fun. It feels a lot more lazy than an S2000, which had a frantic (but very fun) feeling to it. It doesn't need to be a momentum car like a Miata -- it has more than enough power to scoot you along.
Only had the top down for maybe 30min, but that was great. The way the top tucks the roof neatly as though it's its own tonneau cover makes it look very tidy.

I really wish the exhaust had more character or were just plain louder.

Oh -- my insurance rejected the initial batch of pics I sent them to get comprehensive and thus glass coverage. So I have to pay a few hundred over what I was planning to replace the windshield -- the crack (declared in the eBay listing) doesn't look like it's gonna stop growing.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Terrible Robot posted:

It's 20 over the posted limit for reckless. VA is weird too because most of the reputation for being super strict about speeding comes from Northern VA. My area hardly gives a gently caress about it, I rarely ever see cops running radar, and I set my cruise at 85mph most days. I have one speeding ticket (I think it's the only moving violation I have period) on my record.

Kimbo, glad you made it home safe, the new ride looks good.

It's 20+ over the limit or 80 regardless of the limit. Trust me.

/edit - Also, driving up 81 and not doing the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in an open-top sports car? For shame.

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

VacaGrande posted:

It's 20+ over the limit or 80 regardless of the limit. Trust me.

/edit - Also, driving up 81 and not doing the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in an open-top sports car? For shame.

Correct on both counts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Someone musta snatched it up: http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-cheapest-ferrari-on-autotrader-costs-20000-262578

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Watching DeMuro's latest on the F355, I'm reminded of something I might not have mentioned -- the insanely annoying key-still-in buzzer when you open the door.
They actually made it less strident in the 355:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs7uOea9d1A&t=363s
In the 348, it's more of a game buzzer failure tone.

That made trying to debug the electrical issue with the fog and brake lights so annoying. One thing I'm not missing at all.

e: I like how he has to hold up the engine lid in the video because of course the struts are dead.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 9, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's another 4 cylinder Esprit on BaT if you're still looking. I didn't look at any details so no clue what kind of condition it's in.

There's also a 10k mile 996 GT3. That's already at $66.6k though. I wonder what it will push? I remember them going for like $50-60k a few years back.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, I haven't asked the buyer for what happened yet:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSD2eF1DIwH/

It must have arrived at port in Rotterdam sooner than I was told by the shipper.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

It must have arrived at port in Rotterdam sooner than I was told by the shipper.

:lol: it'd be hard to ever feel better about selling it than right after seeing that picture

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Jymmybob posted:

:lol: it'd be hard to ever feel better about selling it than right after seeing that picture

I sold a Legnum VR4 a few years back, about 2 months later, the unicorn active differential failed in spectacular fashion. Bullet dodged!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

Dubbelle handicap: Italiaans én Amerikaans!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

They put a dolly under the rear wheels, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's another shot on FB of the car on a trailer, so hopefully no real wheel towing happened.

From the buyer:
Hi kimbo as you noticed we have picked up the car yesterday [Friday] from customs ROTTERDAM
Today I tried the car for testdrive

While Driving about 100 Miles/hour heared funny noice and Both Engine Warning lights
Starter does rotate but drives "nothing"
Think and hope the flywheel broke and took Some crank sensors as well

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:stonklol:

drat, you dodged a bullet so well it got another continent. Hope it's not serious though!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Of course a Ferrari has two engine lights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If it's serious engine trouble, I'm really bummed for the buyer, cuz I obviously sold it thinking it had plenty of life left in it.

Someone posted on his FB:
"Altijd weer gedonder met die schone Italiaanse"
Always thunder with that beautiful Italian

bolind posted:

Of course a Ferrari has two engine lights.
In a post a while back, I show the startup and all the lights. There's 2 engine lights, one for each bank, but only 1 turn signal light. Probably the right priority.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, at least that's the type of failure you would have no way of catching beforehand, unless you do an engine out service and it is visibly cracked already. So I'd hope / expect the buyer doesn't think you somehow hid this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kimbo305 posted:

While Driving about 100 Miles/hour heared funny noice and Both Engine Warning lights
Starter does rotate but drives "nothing"

Oof.

I forget, did you have the timing belt service done before selling it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I forget, did you have the timing belt service done before selling it?
No service, and I made sure (as did all the commenters in the BaT auction) to point that out. Though I don't think the buyer read the description in detail in his excitement to get it.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, at least that's the type of failure you would have no way of catching beforehand, unless you do an engine out service and it is visibly cracked already. So I'd hope / expect the buyer doesn't think you somehow hid this.

I'm glad he drove it all the way down to New Jersey now, since those were completely trouble free miles. If it was just the test drive and then driving it home from the shippers, it'd feel worse, I think.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I hope he's able to afford two.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Seminal Flu posted:

:perfect:

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Seminal Flu posted:

I almost wish the thread could end with this post

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

In a post a while back, I show the startup and all the lights. There's 2 engine lights, one for each bank, but only 1 turn signal light. Probably the right priority.

It's a turn signal warning, as in you accidentally used the turn signal

https://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0

Seminal Flu posted:

This thread is so amazing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The guy builds turbos and racecars, i hope it's something serious :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He should only keep things that preserve the sound. But should also look into ways to get the redline higher. If it could hit 9k, I have no idea what that 3000rpm harmonic would sound like, but probably amazing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Have you heard any more about the engine trouble? Was it the timing belt in the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He said the 348 is sitting until his shop helps move Spyker to another building. Some (fuckin cool) contract work.

e: thinking back to my convo with the buyer when he was in Boston, I gotta say doing motorsports at that shop must be a cool gig. At the time, I thought to myself that if I were anywhere close to being able to do that kind of work, I ought to ask for a job. At some point we got into the aesthetics of routing safety wire, and he mentioned how they decided to redo some stuff on the McLaren Can-Am car until they'd gotten it perfect. It was a real bonus to be able to get a chat like that out of selling a car.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread