Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/0GtpDzN.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some say he's still there to this day.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Some say he's still there to this day.

And his fate is still unlearned.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

And his fate is still unlearned.

9th grade music class just came roaring back to me you wonderful bastard

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That warning sign is there for a reason.

http://i.imgur.com/vYXBGVD.mp4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember someone being killed by that exact thing in Final Destination! :confuoot:

edit: Granted, the one in Final Destination was less like an escalator and more like a chainsaw pretending to be an escalator to trap unsuspecting hipsters, but still. Memories!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 25, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, pure Hollywood making it like a chainsaw.

They're more like meat grinders

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah okay Im never stepping onto an escalator again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nenonen posted:

(so will your polyester overalls)

Heard a story of a dude on an Exploration drill rig who was splashed with flammable liquid that was then set on fire. He was completely fine, except for the high-vis patches on his legs, where the synthetic fibre melted onto his leg straight away. He apparently has bands of scar tissue only there, and the company that was supplying the PPE was found to be cutting corners and not using proper fire retardant reflective material.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sammylee1974/status/845339331703308290

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

are people allowed to use those signs even if they arent transporting dangerous cargo

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Its a known fact that China builds all its industrial machines out of haunted steel that hungers for human blood, it has its downsides but its a bit cheaper so helps you stay on budget.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I remember someone being killed by that exact thing in Final DestinationChina! :confuoot:

:(
Of course I see no emergency stop button.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Applebee123 posted:

Its a known fact that China builds all its industrial machines out of haunted steel that hungers for human blood, it has its downsides but its a bit cheaper so helps you stay on budget.

Haunted by ghosts that shoot bullets.

By which I mean it’s radioactive.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Platystemon posted:

Haunted by ghosts that shoot bullets.

By which I mean it’s radioactive.

Radiation is creepy, the fact it can be killing you and you dont even feel a thing, the fact you can take a lethal dose with no cure but still wander around for up to an hour without even knowing you're already dead.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

Radiation is creepy, the fact it can be killing you and you dont even feel a thing, the fact you can take a lethal dose with no cure but still wander around for up to an hour without even knowing you're already dead.

The same can be said about lethal diseases, ultra toxic chemicals and heavy machinery.
OK, the latter may make you aware you are dead for a very short time.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

are people allowed to use those signs even if they arent transporting dangerous cargo

If not, they shouldn't be. But official placards look a lot different.

Minor gripe: people putting "DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE"* on stuff that's 600 volts and less. SMH.

* - Electric Six is exempt from this rule. Because it is high voltage. When we touch. And when we kiss.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Johnny Aztec posted:

the stairs are this way

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey did someone mention escalators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUppwRShpE

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Applebee123 posted:

sometimes the humans kinda ask for it tho

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tumble posted:

sometimes the humans kinda ask for it tho

I wonder what the thought process that lead to this is.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Boiled Water posted:

I wonder what the thought process that lead to this is.

Dammit, this door won't open. Oh poo poo there's a reason it didn't open!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A woman got in the elevator ahead of him, mashed the button and the doors closed. He was pissed she didn't hold the door... and presumably his brain worked about as well as his legs.

E: quick search shows he fell about 6 meters (or 19 feet).

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 25, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

FuturePastNow posted:

presumably his brain worked about as well as his legs.

:vince:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

A woman got in the elevator ahead of him, mashed the button and the doors closed. He was pissed she didn't hold the door... and presumably his brain worked about as well as his legs.

E: quick search shows he fell about 6 meters (or 19 feet).

I guess he showed her. I bet she feels bad now.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I like how the guy with the sign glances up for a second, then puts it down anyway. In the place that makes the least sense.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I like how the guy with the sign glances up for a second, then puts it down anyway. In the place that makes the least sense.

That is where it makes the most sense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I guess he showed her. I bet she feels bad now.

It would have been a better revenge if she was going down and he crashed through the elevator ceiling crushing her.

Though I suspect some kind of developmental disability, maybe he just didn't understand how automatic doors work.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The theory I've heard is that a worrying number of people don't seem to grasp that there's not always a lift present. After all, every time the doors open there's a car waiting.

Three-Phase posted:

* - Electric Six is exempt from this rule. Because it is high voltage. When we touch. And when we kiss.
Don't you wanna know how we keep starting fires?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have escalators actually killed anyone in Western countries? (in the last 25 years or so)

It's seems like it's always China when these things happen.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kennel posted:

Have escalators actually killed anyone in Western countries? (in the last 25 years or so)

Not often except for elevator technicians.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kennel posted:

While the victims in these cases survived (although in one case there was concern that the leg might have to be amputated because it was so hosed up) they happened in Stockholm separated by only 7 months

https://www.thelocal.se/20150216/broken-leg-causes-39-escalator-meltdown

https://www.thelocal.se/20150910/womans-leg-gets-stuck-in-stockholm-escalator

now Stockholm has a population of ~800k. China has over a hundred cities in the 1 million - 2 million range, and 20 cities with a population larger than Sweden. PRC has a population almost twice the size of Europe (including Siberia) and about five times that of USA. What I'm getting at with this is that while China has terrible safety and building standards, they probably also have more escalators than anyone else. And if a city like Stockholm can have two catastrophic escalator failures within a year then you might expect China to have at least a few hundred such failures even if they had the same safety standards as the Swedes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kennel posted:

CDC says about 3 per year in the US (30 total deaths per year in elevators and escalators combined; 90% of those are elevators).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jet Jaguar posted:

The guy is Remi Gaillard, so I would say he put it exactly where it made the most sense.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kennel posted:

Prophetic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=&v=fLUppwRShpE

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADb57ysvCbU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You guys hear about that escalator in Hong Kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

You guys hear about that escalator in Hong Kong?

Yeah some guy put a no entry sign at the bottom and people are still trying to walk back up.