Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I mean Prison Break got really silly over time but that show got Dumb in a good way.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I mean Prison Break got really silly over time but that should got Dumb in a good way.

Season 3 is the bad one. Season 4 is fuckin nuts but I really enjoyed it.

The loving finale was garbage. I have no interest in the revival. Also, I dislike Wentworth Miller's acting and liked the show in spite of him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm all for the revival. Keep bringing it on.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is Stitchers any good? Someone told me that since I liked Fringe, I'd like Stitchers. I doubt this as I have never heard of it but apparently it's getting a 3rd season?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat, Review 302. Gonna miss this show SO much :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

God drat, Review 302. Gonna miss this show SO much :(

I just about busted a gut laughing at the reveal of he was acquitted offscreen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What is this Review show you guys are always raving about? I've never heard of it outside of this thread... Where do I watch it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

What is this Review show you guys are always raving about? I've never heard of it outside of this thread... Where do I watch it?

its a comedy central show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It is on Comedy Central and is technically a remake of an Australian show starring Andy Daly as Forrest McNeil as the host of the TV show "Review." (fake) People send him questions about life experiences, which he attempts to do and then gives a score of 1/2 to 5 stars. It is deceptively simple for how completely hilarious it is.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331923

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Btw Snak this is the original, one we're discussing is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2141913/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Thanks.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The episode "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" from season 1 of Review is one of my top favorite episodes of anything I've seen on tv. The series as a whole is probably in my top 5 as far as shows go, but that episode put a lot of things into motion and set a decent precedent with the tone, at least in my opinion.

But yeah, the show is stupidly under-rated and part of that I feel is its lack of promotion on Comedy Central.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 24, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to just check out one episode I would recommend s1ep3 "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what they said. The first episode is also a very good pilot.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Elite posted:

Patriot is really good. Though out of interest what bad things have you heard about it?

The main criticisms I've heard of it are
a) That it's quirky. This I think is true, but it's up to personal taste whether quirkiness is a good thing or a bad thing.
b) That it's emotionally hollow or lifeless. This I FIERCELY disagree with and I think anyone who makes this criticism has shown their inability to distinguish between the absence of feelings and the repression of feelings. Calling John Tavner "bland" just seems so insane to me.
c) That it's too silly for the dramatic parts to work. This I don't agree with. In the real world, intelligent competent can still create absolute farces especially when they're acting out of desperation so the way things go wrong is decently believable to me. The characters do have some silly quirks to them but they still largely come across as believable people rather than cartoon characters. And just because a show is comedic doesn't mean it can't have emotional weight.
d) That it's tone changes too much or changes weirdly. This has some truth to it I think, but I think it's really subjective whether you find those shifts interesting or offputting.

Nothing that I can remember specifically, just that a few people didn't like it. Your response, combined with just having watched the trailer, makes want to check it out.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Critics didn't like it that much according to Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/patriot

Not sure why though. I thought it was great.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eezee posted:

Not sure why though.

this mystery is easily solved by reading them

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Snak posted:

it used to be on hulu but then Comedy Central dropped it because our world must cruel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elite posted:

Patriot is really good

c) That it's too silly for the dramatic parts to work. This I don't agree with. In the real world, intelligent competent can still create absolute farces especially when they're acting out of desperation so the way things go wrong is decently believable to me

They took my attache poo poo!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eezee posted:

Critics didn't like it that much according to Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/patriot

Not sure why though. I thought it was great.

This guy gets it:

quote:

How about a show that combines some of the better aspects of “Mr. Robot,” “Fargo” and “The Americans” — in a comedy? Would that pique your peak-TV interest?

Comparing “Patriot,” a 10-episode series available Friday on Amazon, to three of the most distinctive series on television is overselling it, but not by a drastic amount.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should be getting to Patriot pretty soon, just gotta finish Love s2 first. Sounds like it'll be a unique experience no matter what.

e: just finished the BASKETS finale, that was good poo poo. love how the show's becoming more about the family as a whole. there was one shot right near the end (with Christine in the foreground and the brothers in the back) that was arthouse as gently caress and I loved it.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PenguinKnight posted:

it used to be on hulu but then Comedy Central dropped it because our world must cruel

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's a good one. Another high point is when Forrest goes to prison and everyone gets way too involved in his imaginary friend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorite episode of Review is still "Cult, Perfect Body" easily. That episode is something else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is there someone I can pay or blackmail to keep Prison Break from coming back?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I saw Strange Empire pop up on Netflix, is that show any good? I really like that one woman on The Expanse.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

Is there someone I can pay or blackmail to keep Prison Break from coming back?

Sure, you want my paypal or my routing number?

I promise I will 100% make sure Prison Break doesn't come back, big league, your head will spin. Prison Break will so not come back you'll be sick of Prison Break not coming back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jose Chung's "From Outer Space" is probably the best X-Files episode ever. It gets so many points for implying Mulder jerks off to Bigfoot footage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Speaking of X-Files:

quote:

Here are the nine shows completely leaving Netflix this April that were produced wholly or in part by 20th Century Fox Television or FX Productions:

Ally McBeal: Season 1 – 5 (Expires April 1)
Angel: Season 1 – 5 (Expires April 1)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1 – 7 (Expires April 1)
Dollhouse: Season 1 (Expires April 1)
Firefly: Season 1 (Expires April 1)
Legit: Seasons 1 – 2 (Expires April 7 and April 10)
The Riches: Season 1 – 2 (Expires April 1)
Roswell: Season 1 – 3 (Expires April 1)
The X-Files: Season 1 – 9 (Expires April 1)
And here are the five shows that have certain seasons expiring this April:

American Dad: Season 6
Better Off Ted: Season 1
Bones: Season 1 – 4
Lie to Me: Season 1
Wilfred: Season 4

Netflix is really not wanting to put the cash up in keeping content they haven't produced around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Netflix is really not wanting to put the cash up in keeping content they haven't produced around.

That writing has been on the wall for a long time. A lot of people are going to want to pull out to do their own services and Netflix is pumping out so much original content that I don't think a lot of that older stuff is priority for them anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently X-Files is still on Hulu, for the record.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am confused as to why only Season 6 of American Dad is going off. I get chunks of seasons, but why a single season? Its going to be 1-5, then 7 on up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of X-Files:

:(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Speaking of X-Files:

Huh, I didn't even know The Riches was on there. Probably gonna rewatch it before it leaves, that show was so good. Eddie Izzard should get more work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

swickles posted:

I am confused as to why only Season 6 of American Dad is going off. I get chunks of seasons, but why a single season? Its going to be 1-5, then 7 on up?

Probably has something to do with the Network switch. It left Fox for like TBS on Season 5.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Probably has something to do with the Network switch. It left Fox for like TBS on Season 5.

It left for TBS in Season 12. After 193 episodes had been broadcast on Fox.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Good lord, yeah I was apparently posting from 2006. DOH.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Speaking of X-Files:

I'm trying to finish up season 3 before it's removed. Really blows :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Yeah, that was fairly recently. I was curious why a random season would go and not any before or after it, so I took a look at the episodes in that season. The My Morning Jacket episode is season 6, and as we saw with Scrubs, the music licensing doesn't always translate to streaming services, so my theory is that there are some licensing issues with music that somehow causes them to pull the season instead of the single episode. This is my own rampant speculation so its probably no where near the reason why.

• Locked thread