Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TL posted:

Wired did a really good oral history of MST3K a few years ago, where Kevin (I think it was him) said he never thought Joel and Jim liked each other, and Joel went on to say Jim's insistence on directing the movie was the straw that broke the camel's back.

That reminds me of a question I had, didn't Mallon or someone hold the rights to the show, and that's why Mike and Joel had to move on to things like Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic, because they couldn't use anything from mst3k? So how did Joel get the rights back, did they bury the hatchet, or was that the first of the Kickstarter goals, "give Jim a pile of money for the rights?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

That reminds me of a question I had, didn't Mallon or someone hold the rights to the show, and that's why Mike and Joel had to move on to things like Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic, because they couldn't use anything from mst3k? So how did Joel get the rights back, did they bury the hatchet, or was that the first of the Kickstarter goals, "give Jim a pile of money for the rights?"

Shout Factory (who had been producing the DVD sets on license from Jim) bought out the rights. IIRC they had been discussing a reboot of the show with Joel before then but getting the rights away from Jim was what made it finally possible. I think Jim was also somehow impeding digital distribution of the show which is why RiffTrax started selling MST3K eps digitally shortly after the buyout.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 25, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mallon couldn't find a good way to make money with the show after years of trying. At one point he made a website with flash-animated cartoons where he did Gypsy's voice, as that was the only thing he had access to to make new content.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mallon actually went through a bit of a personal crisis a few years back and ended up starting a new career as a therapist. This is entirely just my speculation now, but it could be that that played a role in him being willing to give up the show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Diabolik900 posted:

Mallon actually went through a bit of a personal crisis a few years back and ended up starting a new career as a therapist. This is entirely just my speculation now, but it could be that that played a role in him being willing to give up the show.

Is there an article about this somewhere? Sounds interesting.

Also, I'm watching Jack Frost for the first time, and this movie kind of owns.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I don't think it's widely known. I don't have it handy, but I saw a link posted somewhere a few months ago to his profile on some psychology website which talked about it a little. There wasn't much more detail than what I already posted though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Make an appointment today!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ah Jeez, just reading that made me sad, and harder to be mad at Mallon.

Sorry to hear he lost his daughter :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I agree. It's delightfully batshit and never stands still for too long.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah Jeez, just reading that made me sad, and harder to be mad at Mallon.

Sorry to hear he lost his daughter :smith:

I might not have loved his choices for what he did with the MST3K brand, but I respect and admire him for using a personal tragedy as the impetus to do some good in the world. Good for him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TL posted:

I might not have loved his choices for what he did with the MST3K brand, but I respect and admire him for using a personal tragedy as the impetus to do some good in the world. Good for him.

I just wish we'd have gotten some warning that the old mst3k.com store that he ran for so many years was about to vanish with the buyout. I missed my chance to get a You Know You Want Me, Baby T-shirt. I thought they'd always be there. :(

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I just wish we'd have gotten some warning that the old mst3k.com store that he ran for so many years was about to vanish with the buyout. I missed my chance to get a You Know You Want Me, Baby T-shirt. I thought they'd always be there. :(

there was a big clearance thing just before it shut down and I got a mousepad and t-shirt for like $1 each or something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

There's about eight hours left in this year's Rifftrax kickstarter. Like Rifftrax shorts? Toss them one dollar in the kickstarter, you'll get ten of them, plus some extra goodies. I think a short is easily a dime's worth of entertainment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-17-samurai-cop-beach-party-and-myste?ref=nav_search

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I honestly didn't know that about Mallon. Sad to hear he lost his daughter, but glad to hear he was able to work through his grief and turn it into a way to help others. Hope he has a long and successful career as a therapist. :unsmith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Powered Descent posted:

There's about eight hours left in this year's Rifftrax kickstarter. Like Rifftrax shorts? Toss them one dollar in the kickstarter, you'll get ten of them, plus some extra goodies. I think a short is easily a dime's worth of entertainment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-17-samurai-cop-beach-party-and-myste?ref=nav_search

Not only that, but you get a Rifftrax mp3 for what's almost definitely going to be Batman v Superman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gavok posted:

Not only that, but you get a Rifftrax mp3 for what's almost definitely going to be Batman v Superman.

I don't even think Rifftrax could make that movie watchable.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't even think Rifftrax could make that movie watchable.

I was drunk and alone in a theater with my brother. We tried MST-ing it and only made it to "Martha" before we got bored and left.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

I was drunk and alone in a theater with my brother. We tried MST-ing it and only made it to "Martha" before we got bored and left.

I saw it with my dad, who was absolutely astonished at how lovely and grim it was. The only way a Rifftrax of BvS would be worth watching is if they gave it the MST3K treatment and edited it to 90 minutes and had 3 or 4 breaks to recuperate and process what the movie is doing to your brain.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I liked Batman v Superman v:shobon:v

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good movie.

Good visuals, good music, pretty good acting.

Not really a movie for everyone though. Really feel for you if your Lex Luthor is a suave businessman and not a broken nerd.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I loved Man of Steel, but BvS was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hope Justice League is better.

Anyway, The Horrors of Spider Island is a tough movie to get through. It took me about four tries to get through it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Anyway, The Horrors of Spider Island is a tough movie to get through. It took me about four tries to get through it.

The one that's always bothered me about that is that two of the host segments are clearly in the wrong order. Like, the one where Mike is caught in the giant web references something that hasn't even happened in the movie yet.

...I should really just relax, shouldn't I?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The last thing you can say about Batman v Superman is that nothing happens, so I'm sure they'll be OK with the riff. What's the last superhero movie RiffTrax did, anyway?

fake edit: The Avengers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

The one that's always bothered me about that is that two of the host segments are clearly in the wrong order. Like, the one where Mike is caught in the giant web references something that hasn't even happened in the movie yet.

...I should really just relax, shouldn't I?

I don't know if you noticed, but that would happen ALL THE GODDAMN TIME in the show.

Teenagers from Outer Space, the Willy The Waffle skit which was years before they actually did Springs

Just all the time they did skits out of order with the movie.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Burkion posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but that would happen ALL THE GODDAMN TIME in the show.

Teenagers from Outer Space, the Willy The Waffle skit which was years before they actually did Springs

Just all the time they did skits out of order with the movie.

Joey the lemur, too. That's an odd sketch anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What's the deal with Pod People? It really feels like two different movies stitched together at the last minute.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What's the deal with Pod People? It really feels like two different movies stitched together at the last minute.

My understanding is all the stuff with the kid was a late addition to the script to cash in on ET's success.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I actually really love Horrors of Spider Island. The sleaze was hilarious and I can quote from it at least.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
When out to some thrift stores, where I found someone had dumped their polka collection, including Daddy-O lead Dick Contino.

They had a few, but the cover sold me on this one, so I bought it. Listened to it and... yeah, it's polka. Not my thing, but still, neat to have.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
What the gently caress is up with their positions? Is Dick Contino some kind of event horizon?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Is Dick Contino some kind of event horizon?

Yes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dick Contino is also the lead character of a hard-boiled James Elroy novel. There's some accordion in it, if I recall correctly.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Jack Gladney posted:

Dick Contino is also the lead character of a hard-boiled James Elroy novel. There's some accordion in it, if I recall correctly.

Because nothing really sets the atmosphere for noir like folksy accordion songs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Because nothing really sets the atmosphere for noir like folksy accordion songs.

The six double bourbons were still pounding at my head like a ton of bricks when some dark-haired dame closed walked into my office.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Actually it occurs to me that there is a hard-boiled detective in A Very Long Engagement, which I imagine doesn't have quite as much accordian music as Amelie, but has got to at least have some.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Russo-Finnish movies are kind of the best ones they did. They're gorgeous to look at and really well-made, it's just localization issues that make them seem goofy. (He's not Sinbad!)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jack Gladney posted:

It also has some direct references to filming Daddy-O. Its called "Dick Contino's Blues," and can be found in a few anthologies I believe.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Joey the lemur, too. That's an odd sketch anyway.

Wait, that was a reference to something?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Been watching the episodes on Netflix and been enjoying it. I was wondering thought, what night did new episodes of MST3k air and what kind of TV ratings did it get when it was on air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

CortezFantastic posted:

Been watching the episodes on Netflix and been enjoying it. I was wondering thought, what night did new episodes of MST3k air and what kind of TV ratings did it get when it was on air?

It aired practically everywhere and ratings weren't published back then like they are today. They shuffled its timeslot around like crazy.