Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Koramei posted:

The Pacific's a whole lot more interesting than the Atlantic is, and in this type the densest parts of the world are close to the center rather than right on the sides.

It isn't really that much better as far as your second point goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Center the map in India, cut the American continent in half.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, but land is more interesting than ocean, so splitting the Pacific and putting more land nearer the center is better for most purposes. As for your other point, give it a few decades and Africa will justify a Eurafrican-centric map in terms of population too.

Africa isn't gonna outpace the like 3.5 billion people in South + Southeast + East Asia that are conventionally right towards the side of the map. I agree with your other point though.

I don't have a problem with either style (America-in-the-middle can go gently caress its self though), but I definitely don't think Asia-centric is any worse than Europe-centric, except that I've been brought up with the latter. Definitely nothing weird about people in Asia favoring it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

"yeah put africa at the far edge of the map where they belong" tsk tsk

Leave the Atlantic Ocean whole and use Mercator so you can plot routes for your slave ships.

#coloniallifehacks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imo Atlantic-centric maps are better because the most distortion happens at the edges and the corners, and the edges and corners of an Atlantic-centric map are the two halves of the Pacific Ocean, Alaska, and Siberia, leading to minimal distortion of important places where people live. Whereas Pacific-centric maps waste a lot of their least-distorted space on a giant body of water and end up distorting half the world's landmass instead.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
IMO Eurocentric maps are good because I'm European.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't it about time for a new thread?

1000 pages, woah.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If a map is meant to be used most in a particular country, it should have the country as close to the center as practical. :colbert:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ah, the Putin Wet Dream model

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Page 1000 requires maps from 1000 AD

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Oscar "Best Picture" nominees by Facebook Likes

1. Hidden Figures

2. La La Land

3. Arrival

4. Hacksaw Ridge

5. Fences

6. Manchester by the Sea (lol)

7. Lion

8. Hell or High Water

9. Moonlight

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

:haw:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

If a map is meant to be used most in a particular country, it should have the country as close to the center as practical. :colbert:

:newzealand:

QuoProQuid posted:

1. Hidden Figures
That Cretaceous coastline again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

Page 1000 requires maps from 1000 AD

What game is this?

Actual map of 1000AD, I don't know enough about the period to speak to its accuracy, but taken from http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_1000ad.jpg:

turns out that even if we look at 1000AD, there's still no data on Western Sahara

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the Unknown Kingdom of Cardiff and Newport.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

What about 800,000 Poles in UK??

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kennel posted:

What about 800,000 Poles in UK??

Give it two years and the joke will work again

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Elyv posted:

What game is this?

Chrono Trigger

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

QuoProQuid posted:

Oscar "Best Picture" nominees by Facebook Likes

1. Hidden Figures

2. La La Land

3. Arrival

4. Hacksaw Ridge

5. Fences

6. Manchester by the Sea (lol)

7. Lion

8. Hell or High Water

9. Moonlight

La La Land was Hollywood navel gazing, Appalachia loves The Troops, the black belt loves movies about black people but not quite so much if said black people are gay, and New England creams its chowdah over anyone named Affleck

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oldswitcheroo posted:

La La Land was Hollywood navel gazing, Appalachia loves The Troops, the black belt loves movies about black people but not quite so much if said black people are gay, and New England creams its chowdah over anyone named Affleck

Moonlight's is basically "Liberal urban centres: the map"

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Is there no evidence of people on Madagascar and New Zealand ~4000-5000 years ago?

Nope. Both archipeligos did have awesome fuckoff huge birds though. New Zealand had the Moa and the terrifying Haast's Eagle (bigger than a Condor, may have hunted people).

For its part, Madascar had the Elephant Bird the largest of which were more than nine feet tall and weighed more than a thousand pounds.

They're basically Pleistocene megafauna meets island gigantism meets lol this island has no large mammals.

Moa and Elephant Birds have probably been extinct for less than five hundred years, btw. Surviving modern relative... The Kiwi.

Polynesians liked hunting things though and these giant flightless birds were apparently pretty tasty, so they went the way of the Dodo, the Sollitaire, and the Great Auk. loving sailors, man.

Antarctica is attacking!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Duckbag posted:

New Zealand had the Moa and the terrifying Haast's Eagle (bigger than a Condor, may have hunted people).

Oh? And what happened to it? Not so tough now, is it.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Ofaloaf posted:

I ain't gonna play no guessing games.

That's supposed to represent 1000 BCE. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_1000_BCE.png

Then it's absurd. The Arameans are way too big, for a start; they were nowhere near establishing themselves in southern Iraq at this point as far as I am aware. I like how they basically went with "lol I dunno" for Media and Mazandaran. Phrygian kingdom didn't get that big until the 800's at the earliest. I could go on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Please do; do you know any really good maps for the bronze age world?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Oh? And what happened to it? Not so tough now, is it.

According to the wikipedia entry, the Moa got hunted to extinction because it was delicious and the eagles starved after that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Ofaloaf posted:

I ain't gonna play no guessing games.

That's supposed to represent 1000000 BC.

FTFY

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

Africa isn't gonna outpace the like 3.5 billion people in South + Southeast + East Asia that are conventionally right towards the side of the map. I agree with your other point though.
By 2100, it very well might given population projections, and going by the map Paradoxish posted, it doesn't even have to wait that long. On top of that, a map centered on the Pacific like that one puts heavily populated areas like India about as far away from the center as an Afrocentric one, just on the other side of the middle - and India and western Asia are the areas with the fastest growing populations in Asia.

For now though, this is the optimal map projection:

- As centered on the most populous areas is can be without cutting major landmasses up, and equal area to boot. Plus New Zealand becomes more easily visible, and it puts the Arctic and Antarctica more into focus, which is not a bad idea in these days of climate change.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The Sin of Onan posted:

Then it's absurd. The Arameans are way too big, for a start; they were nowhere near establishing themselves in southern Iraq at this point as far as I am aware. I like how they basically went with "lol I dunno" for Media and Mazandaran. Phrygian kingdom didn't get that big until the 800's at the earliest. I could go on.

Northern Iran was "dozens of tribes in mountains who chucked javelins at anyone who comes near them" during the early bronze age as far as sources tell us.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Platystemon posted:

Leave the Atlantic Ocean whole and use Mercator so you can plot routes for your slave ships.

#coloniallifehacks

So what you're saying is it's a a map projection which gives Africans a lot of concern?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

oldswitcheroo posted:

Other interesting details: La La Land is wildly popular in Utah and several other Mormon-dense counties. There is zero interest in sci-fi in the Deep South, nor any interest in Mel Gibson in the Black Belt.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Otherwise noteworthy is that you can see Lynchburg, VA and its surrounding county on the Hacksaw Ridge map because it's about a hometown hero.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oxford_town posted:

NZ is not even 1000 years. The ancestors of the Māori settled around 700 years ago.

Why was that?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Quorum posted:

Otherwise noteworthy is that you can see Lynchburg, VA and its surrounding county on the Hacksaw Ridge map because it's about a hometown hero.

This is like Moonlight where it's pretty much just a big city movie except for Florida, where it's popular because it's set in Florida.

There's absolutely a cultural/demographic element to these maps but drat if the obvious lesson isn't "people like to see where they live in a movie, so the surefire way to gross trillions domestically is to make sure your movie explicitly visits every single county in the US with enough movie theaters"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Olympus posted:

This is like Moonlight where it's pretty much just a big city movie except for Florida, where it's popular because it's set in Florida.

There's absolutely a cultural/demographic element to these maps but drat if the obvious lesson isn't "people like to see where they live in a movie, so the surefire way to gross trillions domestically is to make sure your movie explicitly visits every single county in the US with enough movie theaters"

Truth, everyone loves movies in their hometown. On the thirtieth anniversary of the release of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Chicago held a re-creation of the parade scene in Daley Plaza, complete with Danke Schoen and Twist and Shout.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why was that?

It's simply an inconvenient place to get to, even with really nice boats and excellent seafaring skills. And you definitely need both in order to successfully get there.

Meanwhile, Australia had gotten its first human residents somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000 years ago, because it was fairly easily reachable with land bridges from lower sea levels combined with relatively short distances at sea to get from the Eurasian continent down to the Australian mainland.

This is a rough illustration of what the land and sea levels were like ~50,000 years ago in the area, which pretty well illustrates how it was much easier to get to Australia from Eurasia:

As you might expect, this also means there's probably lots of interesting archaelogical sites down on the current sea floor that would make it easier to determine when the migration actually happened. But also note how even with all that lowered sea level, New Zealand is still quite a ways away across open ocean - somewhere around 2 weeks by a basic modern sailboat, longer if you have bad luck with the winds. In comparison, the ocean distances that had to be crossed by those just seeking to get to Australia, especially during ice ages with much greater shorelines in the area, would easily stay under a day of sailing or rowing. Even today with greater water distances involved you could get from Eurasia to Australia without sailing on open ocean for more than about 2 or 3 days at a time between islands and continents.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fishmech posted:

Evolution isn't real because there are no lobster people on New Zealand.

:mmmhmm:

(Thanks, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

vyelkin posted:

Give it two years and the joke will work again

There's even more Poles in Germany

But it's a good joke