Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Newbie question: in what order does reinvigoration and falling unconscious from fatigue apply? That is, if I cast a 100 fatigue spell with 1 encumbrance but have 3 reinvigoration will I fall unconscious that turn? If reinvigoration applies after, do I e.g. get a bonus 4 (I heard that is the number) reinvigoration cleaning up the fatigue of casting Summon Earthpower the turn I cast it, I assume that the same holds for the blood spell Reinvigoration, I get to 0 after cast no matter what?

I think you'd cast the spell and pass out, next turn lose 8 fat the turn you're sleeping, wake up cast 1 more spell and pass out until the enemy runs across the field and kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:lol: Mo Magic Mo Problems game just got it's first Armageddon spell this turn. Well, it's first 3 Armageddons. That's a first for me.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bug Squash posted:

The server died after the host disappeared, but Roland was undoubtably the winner, only being held at bay temporarily by my sustained horror spam.

Highlights of that game: causing a grown man to have a tantrum and quit the game forever with seeking arrow, and handing out astral and blood boosters like I was a goddamn arms dealer to turn everyone except Roland into a horror spam engine.

Endgame was nightmarish. Good times.

i didn't disappear the game wouldn't turn anymore. there was an error with the mod or dom4 itself that caused it lock up trying to calculate the turn. We tried a bunch of stuff to see if we could get it running, but nothing worked. Also , Roland had that game all sewn up anyway, so there wasn't much any of us could have really done.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i didn't disappear the game wouldn't turn anymore. there was an error with the mod or dom4 itself that caused it lock up trying to calculate the turn. We tried a bunch of stuff to see if we could get it running, but nothing worked. Also , Roland had that game all sewn up anyway, so there wasn't much any of us could have really done.

Sorry, I thought it was one of the games lwindy screwed up, apologies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

:lol: Mo Magic Mo Problems game just got it's first Armageddon spell this turn. Well, it's first 3 Armageddons. That's a first for me.

All this stupid poo poo combined is just hilariously dumb. My anti-underwater army can't even get to the coast because of all those earth elementals in the way. Now an assassination just dropped the leader of the second underwater army I had been preparing. Gear lost, units sitting dumb around because of not enough water-breathing capability.

At least the charge bonus of my Tempest Warriors means I can just raise cheap chaff armies to slowly clear out the earth elementals, but that doesn't deal with the constant assassinations. Or stop Armageddon. :suicide:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bug Squash posted:

Sorry, I thought it was one of the games lwindy screwed up, apologies.

I think that lwindy was hosting a heavily modded game at around the same time that he skipped out on, but it's been like a year so i don't really recall much about it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Not positive that I'll be able to finish this tonight, but mountain passes are finally approaching proper implementation (after about three failed iterations). I'm planning to slot Mukip's mountain pass sprites (depending on orientation) into the gaps you can see below:

There's a game jam that I'm planning to participate in starting tonight and running through the weekend, so I won't be doing map gen coding during that time frame. It's why I'd really like to finish this part first...

Once this is done I don't think there will be a reason to ever use the random map generator again.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Once this is done I don't think there will be a reason to ever use the random map generator again.

there already is no reason to ever use the random map generator since its been solved. twee.map is perfect

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Yeah, that game had crashed a few times from me doing normal things (sending horrors and other rituals) and we fought through it a few times, but that last time we spent like 30-45 minutes loving with my turn but never could get it to work and gave up. If the game had been closer we might have pushed forward more and tried to get it working, but considering roland was WAY ahead it didn't seem very important.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Trying out mountain passes (all mountains set to be a pass for testing purposes):

e: and a mix of passes and non-passes:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 25, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bug Squash posted:

Highlights of that game: causing a grown man to have a tantrum and quit the game forever with seeking arrow,
Please
:frogon: and elaborate

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Reinvigoration (the blood spell) is not the same as reinvigoration (the buff), you cast it and then it immediately clears all fatigue from you + your communion slaves (if you happen to be a communion master)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Samog posted:

Reinvigoration (the blood spell) is not the same as reinvigoration (the buff), you cast it and then it immediately clears all fatigue from you + your communion slaves (if you happen to be a communion master)

Yes, I tried to make the distinction clear in the question by uppercasing the one case where I referred to the spell.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Corbeau posted:

Trying out mountain passes (all mountains set to be a pass for testing purposes):

e: and a mix of passes and non-passes:

The passes are pretty hard to spot. I think it was clearer to see when the pass was just a gap between mountain sprites.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Corbeau posted:

They're too hard to see. The one in the lower left does work since you clearly see the empty space between the mountains, though even that one is pretty tiny.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Archenteron posted:

Please
:frogon: and elaborate

One guy, i forget who, picked the ragha sacred zheydeans or whatever they are and was using mictlan human priests to lead them, human priests die to a single arrow. He also lost a few hundred gold worth of zheys because my zotz ate his priest and the zheys then routed but had no where to route to.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MF_James posted:

One guy, i forget who, picked the ragha sacred zheydeans or whatever they are and was using mictlan human priests to lead them, human priests die to a single arrow. He also lost a few hundred gold worth of zheys because my zotz ate his priest and the zheys then routed but had no where to route to.

That guy got very mad about video games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

That guy got very mad about video games.

I can understand getting really frustrated about losing lots of stuff. In other games, that is. As far as I'm concerned, hilarious one-sided losses in giant magic battles are the main draw of Dominions 4. Winning is just an optional bonus.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I mean most Dominions games are a 10-12 way free for all. If you don't think that Losing is Fun, maybe don't sign up, because most players will lose most of the time. The way I see it, at my skill level, not dying first is a win, and knocking out one other player is winning big.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Have you seen this, I dunno what program he's using but it looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfA8ySThQM

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I consider any of the following things to be a "win" in Dominions besides winning the actual game.

1) Killed another player, or occupied their capital.
2) Killed an enemy Pretender in battle.
3) Intentionally suicided yourself against MA Ermor to the point neither of you will win.
4) Same as 3, except any other nation you happen to dislike for irrational reasons.
5) Went AI the first time the timer was set to 48 hours (permanently) or the first time the game was paused.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 25, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Have you seen this, I dunno what program he's using but it looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfA8ySThQM

Some hack of virtual tabletop.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
That's a customized Tabletop Simulator thing

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Use "Fire", always.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Chomp8645 posted:

I consider any of the following things to be a "win" in Dominions besides winning the actual game.

1) Killed another player, or occupied their capital.
2) Killed an enemy Pretender in battle.
3) Intentionally suicided yourself against MA Ermor to the point neither of you will win.
4) Same as 3, except any other nation you happen to dislike for irrational reasons.
5) Went AI the first time the timer was set to 48 hours (permanently) or the first time the game was paused.

6) Got invaded by a superior power, managed to annoy them enough that they went away and picked on someone else instead. Bonus points if they got attacked on another front while you were distracting them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
New Dominions Vid Series

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hey everyone, sorry if I held things up for a little bit in BadNationsWorseMagic.

But did you know that the reward for not going AI is that you get to see the score graphs when you die? That's a pretty good way to get people to team up against the guy who killed you!

http://imgur.com/a/xFC6z

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My research :negative: Why am I so bad at this game?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

All of my gems are just from diligent site searching too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Hey, I started an LP. It's for the battlesnek earth game, I play as Oceania.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815188

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
His LP immediately became a retrospective because it ended.

I just got a throne victory in Battlesnek Earth as Marignon on turn 56.

My Pretender:

The overly long story of Pissbitch's rise to power that everybody now has to listen repeatedly to for the next several aeons:

I was concerned early on, because I first-turn expanded into a forest using both Pissbitch and my staring army, with mixed results. The positive thing is that I gained a province with lizard shamans on the 2nd turn who went on to provide buckets of research and battle communions, but Pissbitch was cursed by a shaman in her first battle. I had to be extra careful expanding with her after that. From then on I mostly used her in conjunction with some regular troops just to be safe. I also hired most of the mercenaries and recruited lots of lizards to fight for me. All of this allowed me to conquer a sweet 29 provinces by turn 12, exceeding my previous record of 27 (also with Marignon led by a Virtue). Although I should note that I called for two water nations and we got three, so there was a bit more room for everybody on land.

Turn 12:

In the second year I focused on taking the northern provinces, building tons of forts and doing lots of research and site searching. I was largely unmolested except for when Oceania (tagichatn) took the northernmost throne a turn before I was going to. Not being willing to tolerate a hated water nation on dry land, I prepared for war. After I "bumped" into an Oceanian army of 50 centaurs and wiped it with my Chalice Knights et al, I suggested to Atlantis (Burna Boy) that Oceania was weak and should be invaded. I was hoping to distract Oceania by opening up a second front, but it turned out to be a lovely and undesirable Throne of Law anyway, so after some diplomancy I bribed Oceania with 1500 gold to sink back into the waves. This chain of events possibly resulted in the unintentional destruction of Atlantis, since they invaded Oceania on my advice right after I handed over the huge bags of cash to Oceania.

By the end of year 2 I had 50 provinces and about 4k income a turn, on a faction with sacred upkeep reduction on practically everything. Somebody had found a static site that provided income graphs, so I was starting to hear ravings over the grapevine about Marignon being yuge and having twice everyone's income. This was most unwelcome, so I had to start plotting distractions. To my south was weakling Abysia (Shogeton), a faction I had no fear of whatsoever since I had researched Light of the Northern Star and Stellar Cascades. Plus, our borders was largely cut off by mountains allowing me to block him off entirely with a pair of well-garrisoned forts. My other neighbours were Pan (Naksu) and Asphodel (howareu). I felt like that was far too many centaurs, especially with sea centaur neighbours, but Asphodel could be dealt with later so I wanted Pan gone first. I reasoned that the torturous turns of Dryad seduction would only get worse the longer the game went on and somehow convinced myself to invade Pan with a bunch of male, human commanders.

It turns out that Pan was also plotting to attack me with Abysia around that time. I doubt that Abysia could realistically have done much to bother me but I tried to bring them over to my side nonetheless, since they could at least serve as a distraction if they became my ally and I needed to mollify the "holy poo poo have you seen Marignon graphs" crowd for a while. After giving Abysia absurd promises, including something like 75% of Pans territory, Pan's capital, bribes of gold, and sage wisdom regarding the inherent evil of temptress harlots I finally brought Abysia around to my point of view. Smart man! And he was the guy who was telling everybody what a threat I was, so I was glad to have him as an ally.

The Flame Bros promply burnt Pangaea to the ground. It was a tough slog and many Marignon Friars and Abysian Warlocks were seduced by Dryads, but we eventually gassed them all. Go team! (the Abysian pretender was later banished for eternity!)

My only concern at this point was my limited magic path diversity and gem income, although I had broken into nature quite nicely. I begged everyone in the game to make me a flaming skull until Nazca (jsoh) offered to forge me one for 3000 gold, which was a huge loving rip off. He was lucky that I possessed Crassus levels of disgusting wealth. He was on the other side of the planet from me and fighting against Tien'Chi so fine, whatever. Sucks to be China I guess. I think China was about to start losing anyway but this was the second time that my gold contributed to the downfall of a nation. Eventually I got the fire skull thingy from Nazca and cast Eternal Pyre. Since I had alchemists from a site providing me with +50% gold from distilling fire gems, I made my gold back quite easily. I eventually got some Troll Kings on top of my Harbingers and empowered a Shaman in nature so I was set for magic paths.

Suddenly, Sea Hitlers. I was invaded by the treacherous Oceania while subduing Pangaea. He sent lots of sea-centaur armies at me and it tied up my secondary armies for a while. He was making it difficult for me to progress towards my goals. I was still able to conquer Pangaea while holding him off, but I'd rather be crushing Pan while also moving towards a throne victory since I was haunted by he spectre of a global coalition rising against me. So of course I diplomanced a bunch of gullible fools into a coalition against Oceania, instead. There was a grand scheme for Caelum to cast Thetis' Blessing and then Marignon, Abysia, Caelum and Vanarus would triumphantly sweep into the seas and execute the finned ones. Sadly, it was a total shambles. I got my rear end kicked undersea with the loss of many troops and so did Caelum. Not sure Abysia or Vanarus even participated. So the plan went from glorious conquest to desperate containment; Caelum cast a magnificent 200-gem Sea of Ice. Did he alchemize all his other gems?! And then, somehow, it was dispelled. But by this point Oceania had lost interest in me and was invading Caelum. N

At this point I decided to go for a throne victory. I needed five more points and there was a level-three throne on my border, so I just needed to cap that and get two more points from elsewhere. I had two options, once of which would have been invading Nazca and Asphodel simultaneously for a pair of 1-point thrones in order to win. But I decided to invade my good friend and long-term pal Abysia instead for a 2-point throne in his territory, since I felt that there was risk of war on three or four fronts if I went with the other plan. A thousand troops split into three armies overran his defences and I worked my way towards the thrones, eventually triple-claiming the remaining 5 points I needed on the last turn for the win.

TL;DR I hyper-expanded, diplomanced and bribed my way to victory.

e: fine spoiler'd it

Mukip fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 30, 2017

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
That would have been a rather appropriate time for the spoiler tag, yeah?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've been seeing a lot of misfortune 3 lately. I thought it was a real bad idea to go under 1. Is this the new pro strat?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

I've been seeing a lot of misfortune 3 lately. I thought it was a real bad idea to go under 1. Is this the new pro strat?

Depends on nation and player. I typically would never go under M2 either, misf3 just has too much bad poo poo, but I've seen a few people take it... typically to disastrous ends.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Mukip posted:

There was a grand scheme for Caelum to cast Thetis' Blessing and then Marignon, Abysia, Caelum and Vanarus would triumphantly sweep into the seas and execute the finned ones.

lol

This post is the first time I heard of me (Vanarus) being part of this coalition. Most I did was sell water-breathing items for the astral gems to power my ring forging. I had a bunch of rings floating around by the end of the game, with basically unlimited magic paths. I was churning out Vampires and Tartarians (and a big chunk of elemental royalty), I just couldn't get over to the opposite side of the continent in time to do anything about the throne snipe.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the map was really bad, what with all of the not level 1 thrones being on the same side and

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jsoh was actually doing very well as universally-hated nation Nazca, so I am glad that victory was snatched from his clammy hands.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

i never even got to fight anyone with my half dozen worm mages under haunted forest. a great tragedy

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sad times indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I want to say that Illwinter is working on some cool poo poo right now

• Locked thread