Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can you make it just not blink at all? it still looks really bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you make it just not blink at all? it still looks really bad...

Nope, even with Maya there's no way to reverse engineer their models, either! So you'll take your blinking robots and you'll LIKE THEM!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can you make like a single pixel of black on the edge of the eye and stretch that to blink. or a line of black outlining the eye that stretches down blinkishly

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oddium posted:

can you make like a single pixel of black on the edge of the eye and stretch that to blink. or a line of black outlining the eye that stretches down blinkishly
I can certainly try - mostly now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the eye bone from the model's skeleton. That would be useful to know for pretty much all these drat blinking robots.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it's kind of funny to imagine that all these robots are just regular meatbags disguising themselves as robots and hoping no-one notices them blink though

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dog Kisser posted:

Nope, even with Maya there's no way to reverse engineer their models, either! So you'll take your blinking robots and you'll LIKE THEM!

Are you doing this just by editing the flat image sheets?

Couldnt you just build your own skeleton and animation set from scratch? Theres at least a couple guides for doing that in Maya. Do they not work? I cant imagine one for that little floating dude would be too hard.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's kind of funny to imagine that all these robots are just regular meatbags disguising themselves as robots and hoping no-one notices them blink though

Making that canon in my mod would save me a lot of work!

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you doing this just by editing the flat image sheets?

Couldnt you just build your own skeleton and animation set from scratch? Theres at least a couple guides for doing that in Maya. Do they not work? I cant imagine one for that little floating dude would be too hard.

I'd love to learn that, but the tutorial is borderline useless according to my own attempts and other people's experiences that I've managed to dig up. Even in the modding threads on paradox's forum there's way more head scratching than successful attempts, and the people who've succeeded have moved on from the game! It's not a great sign...

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 24, 2017

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dog Kisser posted:

Made a few tweaks to it - looks a little cuter and svelter now, and now the blinks actually look like they're SUPPOSED to be there instead of glitches.

Hell, it could be a robit species that decided: "Oh okay, let's simulate blinking with some living metal, because we don't want to creep out the organics too much after our transition." and not realizing that it just invokes the uncanny valley effect.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/617n38/qol_feature_request_track_all/dfcgc9i/

Aw man Wiz you (and team) really are the best. I know we like to give you poo poo and make your life hell sometimes but we really do appreciate it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Please tell me at some point we're getting an event/communications log

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What was the "private colony ship" I saw in the latest stream episode on youtube?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

OwlFancier posted:

What was the "private colony ship" I saw in the latest stream episode on youtube?

it's a tech you can get if you're (fanatic?) individualist that lets you build cheaper colony ships at the cost of scrambling the ethics of the pop you send in it

general consensus seems to be that it's not worth researching it unless you happen to get the tech very early (I've only ever seen it at the point where colony ship costs aren't very important)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, would have thought that perhaps substantially cutting the influence cost rather than the mineral cost might be more useful and thematically appropriate, given the costs involved in long range colonization.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's a tech you can get if you're (fanatic?) individualist that lets you build cheaper colony ships at the cost of scrambling the ethics of the pop you send in it

general consensus seems to be that it's not worth researching it unless you happen to get the tech very early (I've only ever seen it at the point where colony ship costs aren't very important)

It costs energy instead of minerals, and as far as I can tell it only draws from valid ethos combinations on the planet.

You're right that it's not very relevant later on, but it can come up very early and I view it as a godsend when it does.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

As far as I know no ethos-related techs require fanaticism.

It's a fairly cheap early-game tech that costs energy instead of minerals and picks its species and ethos from a random pop on the world that built it.

Now the Pioneering Terminal, that's pointless. A spaceport module that costs 25 influence, 300 minerals and 270 days to build, and gives you 25% speed and cost buff to colony ship construction. It also boosts migration speed from that planet by 25%.
I cannot for the life of me think up a scenario where that's worth the effort. I end up researching it just to make it stop poisoning my tech options.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 25, 2017

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, I got private colony ships as an option right after colony ships once, it owned. I was able to bliz colonize so much faster while building up with my minerals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

I cannot for the life of me think up a scenario where that's worth the effort. I end up researching it just to make it stop poisoning my tech options.

Another cool example of how great the card system is imo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am pleased to discover that using the console to remove a pop trait refunds that pop the corresponding number of trait points. So it's a fair way to upgrade traits like strong, enduring or adaptive - use console to remove the points and then upgrade the normal way.

You can also use this to undo the AI's retarded gene-modding.

http://www.stellariswiki.com/Console_commands#List_of_Traits_.28Species.29
Use debugtooltip and mouseover pops on planets/in the species list to get their IDs

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dog Kisser posted:

I can certainly try - mostly now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the eye bone from the model's skeleton. That would be useful to know for pretty much all these drat blinking robots.

Maybe exhaust vents opening and closing instead of "eyes"? Or was that what the first one was attempting to do?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crazycryodude posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/617n38/qol_feature_request_track_all/dfcgc9i/

Aw man Wiz you (and team) really are the best. I know we like to give you poo poo and make your life hell sometimes but we really do appreciate it.

It's really easy to like a game when it has such a responsive dev team.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

That's six now, probably the last robot, unless I get another idea!

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

As of Utopia it's not unlocked with tech, but rather a perk from the Prosperity unity tree.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dog Kisser posted:

Gorgeous. I really like your creations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dog Kisser posted:

:rock:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Stop doing awesome things! :argh:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Stop doing awesome things! :argh:

Well now I have to because I ran out of ideas!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did you make a snailbot? :3:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the parrot bird with a helmet but it's a robot with a helmet

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oddium posted:

the parrot bird with a helmet but it's a robot with a helmet

I tried that and it looks INSANE. You thought the blinking was bad? This is on a whole other level!

Poil posted:

Did you make a snailbot? :3:

Nope, don't have the Leviathan pack. While Paradox DID include the assets, I feel like it's a bit scummy to use em'?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dog Kisser posted:

Nope, don't have the Leviathan pack. While Paradox DID include the assets, I feel like it's a bit scummy to use em'?

Modder with ethics spotted, somebody tackle him

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

wiz plz hook dog kisser up

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dog Kisser posted:

Lemme guess- Fanatic Pacifists, right?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Lemme guess- Fanatic Pacifists, right?

Well hell, if they popped up on your comms and asked for peace, wouldn't you just say yes?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dog Kisser posted:

I tried that and it looks INSANE. You thought the blinking was bad? This is on a whole other level!
You can't say that and not post a gif.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

You can't say that and not post a gif.
I... didn't save it :negative:

However!

It's officially out in the wild!
Only six robots for now, but I'll add to them as I get ideas.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

:prepop: That's awesome, great job!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Make a tachikoma :swoon:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Sapient tamagotchis

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

What about sentient tamagotchis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Make a robot out of the plany that comes out of its flower. No blinky eyes to worry about but you get actual lights thag light up!

• Locked thread