Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of people pretended to say they played suikoden 2 just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it's probably a good sign if you have to reach back to a twenty year old game for your arbitrary "worse than" section

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

A lot of people pretended to say they played suikoden 2 just now

uh, is it that hard to believe people played a fairly popular game

wizard on a water slide posted:

and also a game starting slow or being long isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.
eh. a game starting slow isn't a good or bad thing, but a game having an *uninteresting* start is a bad thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who the gently caress is GM

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like to think it stands for grandma.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GamesMaster_(magazine)

They gave it a 95

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
as the actual Games Master I'm going to sue the hell out of those brits.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
aaauuuuuuugh,......,,,, a Games's Master........

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Which DLC replaces my battle song with P thirty eiiiiiiiiight macchiiiiine criiiiiiiiiiiies

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

uh, is it that hard to believe people played a fairly popular game

Huh? I meant a lot of people didn't immediately recognize 3d model screenshot for very 2d sprite suikoden game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you could watch the godfather in the time it took you to get to the first free day in Persona 4 so im glad 5 lets me squeeze the godfather 2 in there

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

wouldn't mission impossible be more appropriate?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://twitter.com/ZeoMassicot/status/845304086643695616

no wonder they delayed it to make it dual audio

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Latest on the grapevine is that Atlus JP told 'em to pronounce it like that

We Resident Evil 1 now

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Relin posted:

https://twitter.com/ZeoMassicot/status/845304086643695616

no wonder they delayed it to make it dual audio

Too bad they couldn't delay it enough to make the font good.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Too bad they couldn't delay it enough to make the font good.

Yeah, that askew date in the corner is just ugly.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Meanwhile even Yoko "loving" Taro can ship an RPG with excellent EN localization included on the JP disk and you don't even have to wait 8 months :confused:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnnnngh my friend got this poo poo two weeks early and he finally spilled the beans where his hookup is... if I didn't have the steelbook preordered with 20% off and a quantum physics test next week to study for, I'd be playing this poo poo in like an hour.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kay Kessler posted:

Yeah, that askew date in the corner is just ugly.

I've heard people criticize the font and the text presentation in general, usually based on screenshots of the combat menu, but I dig the style. If awkward dates and Socom-oto are the price I have to pay for the style in the rest of the game, it's a good deal. Hopefully the rest of the localization is up to par with Catherine instead of... yeah, Socom-oto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Socom-oto is actually closer to how an actual Japanese person would pronounce it. Watch Sakamoto Desu Ga on crunchy or something, you can kind of hear it. The problem is that the stress/intonation is totally off. Presumably some Japanese person told the VA the proper pronounciation then hosed off without couching her on it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Uhh, no. It would be pronounced sa-ka-mo-to without any real emphasis on any particular syllable because that's how Japanese works. Each a sound is like an English "ah".

https://twitter.com/randomfox/status/845414021327044610

You can compare here.

I think the real issue with the English pronunciation is that the vowels are cut off. Also, the fact that each syllable rises is weird and not the usual way it would be mispronounced in English. I think it would sound better if it were said in a way more similar to how you would say "Quasimodo". The ending "to" also transitions into kind of a dipthong, like "toe", which really shouldn't be there and sounds really bad if you know Japanese or notice the difference.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's closer than how I've heard it mispronounced in a lot of stuff, is what I meant.

Either way, trying too hard to get the 'correct' pronounciation usually leads to stuff like this. I think it's better to say it wrong and at least have it flow naturally then sound really weird like this. It isn't really the VA's fault, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Weird! But yeah after playing Zelda for three weeks, I can take a dub that flows well as long it sounds like this isn't everyone's first time reading the script.

also super nitpicky but yeah I'm really not wild about that font

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Going back to that gm thing, it's entirely a decent point because even gaming darling Zelda was lambasted for a pretty slow and lengthy tutorial in skyward sword and Twilight Princess.

And on the other hand, to be fair, if you buy persona 5, you're in for a long, long haul. 5 hours is nothing when a normal playthrough might take you 100 hours. Like for Zelda, those long tutorials at 3 to 4 hours might represent almost 20 to 25% of a standard playthrough.

For persona, 5 hours of tutorial would only represent 5% of your standard playthrough.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If she had just had a lower but steady inflection on "saka" and rose with "moto", it would take most of the weirdness out of it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Going back to that gm thing, it's entirely a decent point because even gaming darling Zelda was lambasted for a pretty slow and lengthy tutorial in skyward sword and Twilight Princess.

And on the other hand, to be fair, if you buy persona 5, you're in for a long, long haul. 5 hours is nothing when a normal playthrough might take you 100 hours. Like for Zelda, those long tutorials at 3 to 4 hours might represent almost 20 to 25% of a standard playthrough.

For persona, 5 hours of tutorial would only represent 5% of your standard playthrough.
At this point, it's hard for me to imagine a modern Persona game that doesnt take like four hours to get you thru the Spooky Velvet Room intro and First Day At School and Weird Mystery Happening and Deciding To Do Something About It and First Time In Strange World and Join A Team, like it's just kind of locked itself in that, unless they do a Persona 1 style thing where you start everyone doing an urban ritual bloody mary game to get personas and weird poo poo starts happening literally 10 minutes and everyone just "ah cool"

Also your Zelda example seems to imply that Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are like 12 - 15 hour games, when they're more like 30 or 40, maybe even 50 if you're a completionist. The problem with those tutorials is that it's doing constant explanation of poo poo like Herding Goats and Feeding A Cat where Persona you're just watching cutscenes and selecting choices sometimes so you can really just set the text scroll auto and check your phone. i've started many new games on p4 and done exactly that

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Twilight Princess and skyward sword do have tutorials that are way more interactive than your persona 'tutorial'

And skyward sword is also infamous for doing tutorial stuff hours after you start. Especially with fi wasting your time telling you about stuff. I can see why it can go up to 30+ hours, but even then the tutorials represent a good 10% of the game then.

In persona, it seems like once you get going, you keep going at your own pace/schedule.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't try to copy Japanese pronunciation when you have no idea how to speak Japanese and when you are speaking English for an English voice acting role.
Even if it's wrong in Japanese, the way it would slip out when she's just casually speaking is bound to be infinitely more pleasing to the ear than whatever the gently caress that was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't try to copy Japanese pronunciation when you have no idea how to speak Japanese and when you are speaking English for an English voice acting role.
Even if it's wrong in Japanese, the way it would slip out when she's just casually speaking is bound to be infinitely more pleasing to the ear than whatever the gently caress that was.

apparently the voice director told her to do it that way, and following the voice director's instructions is the va's job

still a fuckup but it's not her fault

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'd be surprised if trying to copy the Japanese pronunciation 1:1 was a choice on the actress's part

Unless you mean like, in general for the voice director then yeah

E: Endorph :mad:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

apparently the voice director told her to do it that way, and following the voice director's instructions is the va's job

still a fuckup but it's not her fault

yeh

like, i'm sure the voice director is getting fired if he tells the atlus jp person who almost certainly doesn't speak English that saying it that way is the worst thing of all time, and I'm not touching the Eng audio at all, but I wish they had the power to say that so people who do want it can have a better overall dub

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ineffiable posted:

Twilight Princess and skyward sword do have tutorials that are way more interactive than your persona 'tutorial'
yeah that's what im saying. Because they're so interactive and force you to engage with, it's waaaaaay more arduous.

With Persona idk i'll just sorta fall asleep

Like I know Persona 5 (first 20 minutes spoilers) starts in media res and that's a fun change but also im ready to spend like three weeks ingame getting introduced to shop owners and social link people cause dems the brakes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 5's tutorial is not Persona 4's, tutorial, you get to do stuff. The problem with P5's tutorial is you can't skip it and it's incredibly handholdy, outright withholding mechanics from you until the game feels you're ready to use them. Hell, you don't even get stealth for like four hours in, it's pretty dumb. You also can't skip them on multiple playthroughs regardless of difficulty which is annoying as poo poo.

Like you are gonna spend a lot of time looking at dialogue and characters, but you are gonna get to break it up at least.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

Persona 5's tutorial is not Persona 4's, tutorial, you get to do stuff. The problem with P5's tutorial is you can't skip it and it's incredibly handholdy, outright withholding mechanics from you until the game feels you're ready to use them. Hell, you don't even get stealth for like four hours in, it's pretty dumb. You also can't skip them on multiple playthroughs regardless of difficulty which is annoying as poo poo.

Like you are gonna spend a lot of time looking at dialogue and characters, but you are gonna get to break it up at least.

See this sounds exactly like the Twilight Princess and skyward sword problem. So it's completely fine to at least consider it a slight against the game. Persona 5 isn't going to be a perfect game for everyone but it's gonna be really enjoyable. It just sounds like you're better off if you realize the intro is going to be slow and you need to power through the first five hours. I probably won't even play persona 5 until I get a free weekend to just power through the intro stuff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Hell, you don't even get stealth for like four hours in, it's pretty dumb.
laughing a bit that it takes a bit for a group called The Phantom Thieves to think of using stealth

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like to think that I will be so excited at finally getting to play 5 that an overly long introduction won't bother me
The real problem with that stuff to me is replay value; I didn't replay 4 very much because when I thought about replaying it I remembered the really long intro and all the really long blocks of cutscenes about drag queen contests and stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

laughing a bit that it takes a bit for a group called The Phantom Thieves to think of using stealth

Maybe they don't have their name yet by that point.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sooo.. Make a separate loving save after the looooooong boring intros for when you replay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Persona 5 isn't going to be a perfect game for everyone

I do agree with the gist of your post and don't think you disagree with this, but it's important to point out that this is literally an impossible bar for a game to meet, because different people have different expectations.

Persona 5 is primed to be a gateway into the SMT series for thousands/millions of players, as previous Persona games have been but on an even larger scale, and I appreciate it taking the time to ease them in and understanding that not every game is supposed to be structured like Dark Souls.