Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Got a link handy?

I sure do!

https://twitter.com/RinaPiccolo/status/844617800803127296

ETA Rina snipe tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Is this series just reprints from years ago or something? Nothing about them makes any sense in a modern context and they just make me sad!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 22, 1952)

Nancy (March 9, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (November 7, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (December 6, 1923)

Lil' Abner (August 4, 1937)

Barney Google (December 7, 1922)

Alley Oop (March 8, 1934)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Maybe it's heresy, but I really don't get why Calvin and Hobbes is so highly regarded. Sure it's mostly ok but there are far too many strip where it's just Calvin being an unredeemable piece of poo poo and it really kills a lot of goodwill for me. Is there anyone who likes it that didn't read it as a child? Like I could understand the Rosalyn strips being some kind of wish fulfillment for unruly kids, but as an adult it's just mean.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yeah, lol millenials, ha ha, so dumb, Dustin's a worthless piece of poo poo, etc. No, but really. You can take pictures of them with your phone.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Calvin and Hobbes I think gets a lot of aspects of childhood right, including that kids are lovely and don't understand consequences, but also have fun and great imaginations.

Also the art is never lazy, which seems like a low bar but man it's one a lot of people don't get over.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dismas said it well, but yeah, part of the point of the strip is that Calvin is quite bright but he's not terribly smart. He's a fundamentally decent kid, but he gets so carried away with himself that he does lovely things, sometimes. Going back and rereading C&H as an adult, even as one without a kid, I really appreciate the dialogue and body language of his parents. They put up with a lot, but they are never hateful or dismissive. C&H is pretty great in that kids and adults can see themselves in it through different lenses.

And maybe it's taken for granted these days, but the sheer dynamicism of C&H was amazing on the printed page alongside stuff like Peanuts and Marvin and Funky Winkerbean. C&H aimed for the fences in a way a lot of strips of its time didn't (we're lucky, in this thread, to pretty much have access to everything from whenever). If C&H seems a bit boring now, it's because it changed the game.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's less " Is this strip good?" and more " Calvin is a nasty little poo poo that has ruined his parent's lives and makes everyday an unending hell."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That's one thing I've been noticing reading these as an adult that I never really paid mind to as a kid. Even for a six(?) year old, Calvin gets pretty drat mean sometimes. On teh flip side, none of the adults in his life are purposely being cruel to him, just doing their best to deal with his harebrained schemes.

I still like the strip - the art is fantastic, and it's still funnier than a lot of other strips - but a lot of Calvin's antics(especially where Rosalind is concerned) are less wacky when you're not viewing it with a child's mindset. His parents have the patience of saints.

In retrospect, it's also kind of telling that his only real friend is a stuffed tiger. :v:

(My personal peeve reading these again is the old man yells at cloud levels of "THIS WILL ROT YOUR BRAIN" whenever TV is the focus. It's usually comes off more smug than funny.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The action figures being designed in Spider-Man sound incredibly expensive to make and really heavy.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Green Intern posted:

The action figures being designed in Spider-Man sound incredibly expensive to make and really heavy.

But good for making spider-robots

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

They must be mistaken. I don't see a single smug face in that crowd.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Haifisch posted:

(My personal peeve reading these again is the old man yells at butt levels of "THIS WILL ROT YOUR BRAIN" whenever TV is the focus. It's usually comes off more smug than funny.)

Even that has a contextual element. Blatant advertisement in children's cartoons was a major political issue when C&H was being written--it was one of the things Reagan deregulated. Think about 80s cartoons for a moment; they're all toy tie-ins,* aren't they? That's what Watterson is mad about. By the early 2000s things like Cartoon Network's prominence and the introduction of anime into the mainstream changed the game, of course, but C&H was well past finished by the time that came about.

*Or at least more explicit toy tie-ins. Toys are, of course, sold today, but it's usually the show that makes the merch, rather than something like Transformers where they built plots around the existing toy line.

e: really looking back it's incredible how TV as an artform in general has developed over the past 30 years but that's another forum's deal

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (August 4, 1937)

IT'S HAPPENING!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 24-25, 1930)

Peanuts (March 27-28, 1970)

Darin and Mopey Pete's Silver Age Circle Jerk

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 6-7, 1930)

Thimble Theater (October 10 and 13, 1930)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is a nice day to start again.

Working Daze spreads the word.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix experiments with decompressed storytelling.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
DOUBLE DOSES OF VARGO COMICS

A silent Baldo proves that it really is just the writing that makes this a bad strip:

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave and random Wallace

Curtis

ALSO
I went to Geppi's Pop Culture Museum in Baltimore today, and I am going to make a megapost out of all the newspaper comic goodies there were. Rube Goldberg prints, Yellow Kid art, Foxy Grandpa toys, and even early artwork from 70s comics like Garfield and Cathy. So that's something to look forward to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vargo posted:

DOUBLE DOSES OF VARGO COMICS

A silent Baldo proves that it really is just the writing that makes this a bad strip:

Curtis

This post is chock full of overwrought attempted pathos

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

dismas posted:

But good for making spider-robots
:eyepop:

...does anyone know if they ever had the Spider-Mobile show up in Newspaper Spider-Man? The tricked out dune buggy with web-shooters and tires that could stick to walls that wanted to kill Spider-Man and would try to run him over on the sides of buildings? Because now I can't think of anything better than that, except maybe if it teamed up with Clown 9's duck cart.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

"GORGEOUS TECHNICOLOR*"

*Technicolor print may be lost by 2017.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café Meets a Ween Cover Photo

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Hel posted:

Maybe it's heresy, but I really don't get why Calvin and Hobbes is so highly regarded. Sure it's mostly ok but there are far too many strip where it's just Calvin being an unredeemable piece of poo poo and it really kills a lot of goodwill for me. Is there anyone who likes it that didn't read it as a child? Like I could understand the Rosalyn strips being some kind of wish fulfillment for unruly kids, but as an adult it's just mean.

Confession time: When I was 8 I did this to my babysitter after reading the comic.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's less " Is this strip good?" and more " Calvin is a nasty little poo poo that has ruined his parent's lives and makes everyday an unending hell."

Haifisch posted:

That's one thing I've been noticing reading these as an adult that I never really paid mind to as a kid. Even for a six(?) year old, Calvin gets pretty drat mean sometimes. On teh flip side, none of the adults in his life are purposely being cruel to him, just doing their best to deal with his harebrained schemes.

I still like the strip - the art is fantastic, and it's still funnier than a lot of other strips - but a lot of Calvin's antics(especially where Rosalind is concerned) are less wacky when you're not viewing it with a child's mindset. His parents have the patience of saints.

In retrospect, it's also kind of telling that his only real friend is a stuffed tiger. :v:

(My personal peeve reading these again is the old man yells at cloud levels of "THIS WILL ROT YOUR BRAIN" whenever TV is the focus. It's usually comes off more smug than funny.)

This is pretty much what I mean, I get that the strip did some cool things and I like a lot of the strips(the dad polling stuff is great).
I mostly just get the same reaction this thread(including me) gets when one of the old strips gets racist/sexist, "I like you please don't do this", and that's it's not really acknowledged whenever it's brought up as "The Greatest Comic strip ever".

I've seen it get praise for how it's shows bullies with Moe, but never any real comment about how Calvin harasses(might be a bit strong) Rosalyn , Susie and his parents(though at least Susie usually gets some payback). The only real comment about Calvin being an rear end in a top hat I ever see is that drat pissing Calvin sticker.

Simian_Prime posted:

Confession time: When I was 8 I did this to my babysitter after reading the comic.

The comics code should have banned kids comics instead of horror.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Inspector Doma

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like Sally Forth, but I don't like it as a serious drama strip. Didn't we just go through a serious arc where Ces had to make a big “things will get better, I promise“ post? It's well written and all, but, y'know, maybe not quite the venue for it.
Until they let him reboot Apartment 3-G, I'll take what I can get.

Johnny Walker posted:

I know Ces is going through some stuff right now
Is he?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Strontium posted:

As dumb as this strip is*, I have to report that my useless sister did something like this when she was like 11-12 years old (I have her diary from then, and she goes on about playing with kids only because she likes their toys, not the kids themselves).

*I get through this strip by assuming the dad is meant to be Nicholas Cage, kinda the way I get through the TIME FOR TO BE CUTE bizarro deformed baby = Tor Johnson for me.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (July, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (July, 1935, click for big))

huh.

They'll Do It Every Time (June, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

:same:

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1972, click for big)

Andy Capp (April, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (September, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Strontium posted:

That's nice of the dad's one coworker to come to his daughter's party.

And this made me laugh out loud, thanks.

Also- did I miss something, or did Funky Winkerbean literally go from "Funky explores an abandoned house, completely devoid of narrative context" to this dumb comic-artist flashback? What was the point?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

What was the point?

You could cross-stitch this onto a lovely wall hanging and display it after the last panel of every Funky Winkerbean since Lisa got cancer'd.

His dad died recently, which is why we got some Sally Forth strips where Ted was trying to process the reality of his own aging father. If other things are happening as well, I haven't heard about them.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

You could, I don't know, call the agency that sent her and explain that your family live a more casual lifestyle and request they send somebody who is not a drill sergeant.

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

:3:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Feb. 1, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Feb. 1, 1985)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Double-posting to keep my chat posts distinct from my comic posts:

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I really appreciate how much work the artist put into having this be in an actual place, with things happening — it could have just as easily been a conversation in an otherwise empty room, or in the car, but this feels real and it's great.

As long as I'm being vocally appreciative, I want to call out Slammy as one of the MVPs. He (?) evidently puts a ton of work into combing old newspapers for those comics, and I really doubt they'd have seen the light of day otherwise, in a lot of cases.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I really appreciate how much work the artist put into having this be in an actual place, with things happening — it could have just as easily been a conversation in an otherwise empty room, or in the car, but this feels real and it's great.

This. And I also like the world-building that goes into the writing. Even though Sally Forth leans more toward being a joke-a-day rather than a soap, things that happen in the strips affect the future. Sal still has her purple stripe from her midlife crisis last summer. If Ted really decides to quit coaching little league, I am confident that we will actually stop seeing him coaching little league.

So many other comics drop what should be ongoing plot or character changes, but then get back to status quo asap. Even the soaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Hel posted:

This is pretty much what I mean, I get that the strip did some cool things and I like a lot of the strips(the dad polling stuff is great).
I mostly just get the same reaction this thread(including me) gets when one of the old strips gets racist/sexist, "I like you please don't do this", and that's it's not really acknowledged whenever it's brought up as "The Greatest Comic strip ever".

I've seen it get praise for how it's shows bullies with Moe, but never any real comment about how Calvin harasses(might be a bit strong) Rosalyn , Susie and his parents(though at least Susie usually gets some payback). The only real comment about Calvin being an rear end in a top hat I ever see is that drat pissing Calvin sticker.

The comics code should have banned kids comics instead of horror.

I feel like a lot of the time when there were real consequences the strip did point them out. Calvin running around as Stupendous Man makes him a pain in the rear end to babysit but doesn't have the danger of locking Rosalyn outside.

This one comes to mind as example of Calvin trying to cross the line into being an actual danger and being stopped. I think a lesser strip would've had the punchline be throwing crab apples at Mom, but it gets switched to a squishy tomato.

I forget if there's any talk with the family when Calvin sends the car into a ditch.

• Locked thread