Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

Having watched the highlight now, that's a pretty boring 70 points. Almost no impressive individual plays. It's obviously a hell of a performance but Giannis's and Jokic's highlights from last night are a lot more fun to watch.

Not to mention a big load of weak whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Actually, a 20 year old scoring 70 points in a basketball game is cool and good

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I feel like by the time the Suns are good they're going to be one of the most hateable teams in the league

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I don't hate Devin Booker, I just think he's about as exciting and good as the common cold. He's the ur AAU player. Any personality other then "heh, I'm a good shooter, heh" has been coached out of him

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

BobHoward posted:

Hating the celtics is cool and good.

It is the natural order of things. Teams from Boston, NY, and LA all exist to be hated. When they are laughably terrible, or surprisingly likable, the sports universe is out of balance.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ChickenMedium posted:

It is the natural order of things. Teams from Boston, NY, and LA all exist to be hated. When they are laughably terrible, or surprisingly likable, the sports universe is out of balance.

Two of those three cities have been irrelevant most of the time I've followed the NBA.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Why would anyone want Cleveland to have anything nice, I'm not following your line of thought

LBJ fulfilling his birthright as some kind of folkhero. Capitalizing on the halfcentury of Cleveland sports mediocrity. LBJ planting the seeds of NBA super fandom in Cleveland.

Shear Modulus posted:

I dunno. Cuban spent a while saying exactly this as loudly as he could and nobody really listened.

It'd be different if the NBA as the whole league was saying it. A lot of people are dismissive of single owners. Cuban gets a bad rap as being an Ayn Rand fan or something. The best case scenarios for these owners is to lay low and hope nobody notices how many people they screwed over to get to where they are today.

edit: I meant to say "Silver" in that quote you responded to.

attackmole posted:

Any given result of four lottery's in the low is mathematically improbable in retrospect. The highest result chance, that the worst team wins it each year for four years in a row is 0.4% and it just gets lower for any other combination.

Yes, the best chance team winning four straight years is a 1 in 256 shot which doesn't sound good. But that's way, way more believable compared to a team with a .1% chance winning four years straight: 1 in 10,000,000,000

attackmole posted:

Sure, the chances of Cleveland winning it were low., but you can look at any given series of four winners and say "WOW THE CHANCES OF THIS WERE UNREALLY LOW" and you'd be right because any sequence of events is going to be a dumb low probability, people just notice when it's the same team.

You know what, I'm bored. Let's play this game. The current NBA draft lottery odds were set in 1994. I'm going to look at every four year interval since then run the probability that it occurred.

1994-1997: 0.111%
1995-1998: 0.154%
1996-1999: 0.248%
1997-2000: 0.0337%
1998-2001: 0.0245%
1999-2002: 0.00965%
2000-2003: 0.0138%
2001-2004: 0.0786%
2002-2005: 0.0315%
2003-2006: 0.0312%
2004-2007: 0.00735%
2005-2008: 0.0000400%
2006-2009: 0.000140%
2007-2010: 0.000164%
2008-2011: 0.0000868%
2009-2012: 0.00699%
2010-2013: 0.00616%
2011-2014: 0.00101%
2012-2015: 0.00908%
2013-2016: 0.0166%

So uh, I mean was it unlikely, yes, can we make fun of Cleveland, yes, but to call it mathematically suspicious is dumb. The most unlikely four year series was 2005-2008, where we have Bogut (6.3%), Bargs (8.8%), Oden (5.3%), and Rose (1.7%) drafted in succession. And I've never noticed that before, but goddamn the league managed to draft 4 injured wrecks in a row, cool.

You have math errors in your game but let's cut to the chase and take it to its logical conclusion. From 1994 to 2016 the way things worked out the odds were roughly one in 1,442,152,629,974,250,000,000 (1.4 sextillion). But that doesn't mean it's a conspiracy. The 1990s four year intervals don't look "unreally low." We're talking 1 in 4 and 1 in 10 ranges. However, some of the more recent ones are on a different scale (I did mention that was I suspicious of the Rose draft).

If the best chance team won from 1994 through 2016 (usually has a 25% chance) that comes out to approximately 1 in 40,725,980,418,000 shot (40.7 trillion).

If the worst chance team won in that period (usually a .5% chance) that works out to about 1 in 5,469,165,177,868,040,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (5.4 sexdecillion).

The suspicious part isn't the inordinate number of possible outcomes it's that the same team is winning. To take an extreme example. It's not suspicious when different people win the powerball/mega millions despite the insane odds but if we took the individual probabilities and multiplied them together for lotteries over the last few decades (sequentially) we'd be coming up with astronomical numbers that should not be occurring. But it happens and nobody is shocked. However, if one guy kept winning the powerball in a rapid sequence he'd be accused of fraud. Are you saying you wouldn't be suspicious if some guy won the powerball outright three straight times because "he had the same odds as everyone else?"

Or take fifteen straight coin flips. Both of these fifteen heads/tails sequences have the same probability of occurring in some respects (.5^15 or 1 in 32,768) but one appears much more realistic and believable: HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, HTHTTHTHTHTTTHH

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 25, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Proof that PEDs do not make you good at basketball or paper over injuries

e: Oh, it actually was an over the counter supplement. He should've bought his PEDs from a drug dealer instead of the supplement industry, they're more honest and reliable

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 25, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Since 1984:

code:
GmSc	Player		Date
64.6	Michael Jordan	3/28/1990
63.5	Kobe Bryant	1/22/2006
60.2	Karl Malone	1/27/1990
54.7	Michael Jordan	4/3/1988
54.5	Devin Booker	3/24/2017
54.3	Kevin McHale	3/3/1985

patonthebach posted:

Calling it now. KD wont get a ring this year and won't get one with the Warriors.

That's a bold claim.

Ron Harper makes a less bold claim:
http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/24/ron-harper-derrick-rose-championship/

Turdsdown Tom posted:

just curious: what is the Suns defense like to allow their main guy to drop 70 but still lose the game? were they just going for the record or something? couldn't they have fed him ten more points? lol

The Suns offense and defense are both near the worst in the league.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When's the last a teams 2nd best player was out for 3 months and still won a championship

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

I don't hate Devin Booker, I just think he's about as exciting and good as the common cold. He's the ur AAU player. Any personality other then "heh, I'm a good shooter, heh" has been coached out of him

https://twitter.com/studentatheltes/status/843493343422304256

This is Devin Booker's twitter

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/studentatheltes/status/842247720756736001

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

lmao this whole loving twitter

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Zogo posted:

The suspicious part isn't the inordinate number of possible outcomes it's that the same team is winning. To take an extreme example. It's not suspicious when different people win the powerball/mega millions despite the insane odds but if we took the individual probabilities and multiplied them together for lotteries over the last few decades (sequentially) we'd be coming up with astronomical numbers that should not be occurring. But it happens and nobody is shocked. However, if one guy kept winning the powerball in a rapid sequence he'd be accused of fraud. Are you saying you wouldn't be suspicious if some guy won the powerball outright three straight times because "he had the same odds as everyone else?"

Or take fifteen straight coin flips. Both of these fifteen heads/tails sequences have the same probability of occurring in some respects (.5^15 or 1 in 32,768) but one appears much more realistic and believable: HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, HTHTTHTHTHTTTHH

Sure, but the odds of the Cavs winning 3 out of 4 is about 2000 billion billion times more likely than someone winning the Powerball 3 times in a row. You're comparing "practically impossible" to something that's simply improbable. At any rate, do you really think that all thirty owners agreed to give Cleveland a potentially franchise-altering compensation pick three different times?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

That can describe any AAU product

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
N: jokic

V: jokic

https://twitter.com/nuggets/status/845432560935206912/photo/1

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

sum posted:

Sure, but the odds of the Cavs winning 3 out of 4 is about 2000 billion billion times more likely than someone winning the Powerball 3 times in a row. You're comparing "practically impossible" to something that's simply improbable. At any rate, do you really think that all thirty owners agreed to give Cleveland a potentially franchise-altering compensation pick three different times?

Why would anyone ask for the approval of the people they're screwing over if they're running a conspiracy? Of course the cheaters didn't get broad permission to cheat. They did it in secret. That's a silly irrelevant argument.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Draft rigging for Cleveland to make LeBron a folk hero doesn't make sense because the lottery for the Wiggins draft happened before LeBron decided to come back. Now, if they were making them win the draft to make up for Bennett being a bust, that'd make more sense. Unless LeBron masterminded the whole thing to get Love to Cleveland and colluded with EY and the commissioner.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Houston Rockets are playing the Oklahoma City Thunder tomorrow for the season championship of Me versus My Friend Metapod. I'm posting this so I can quote it tomorrow evening and laugh at him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Draft rigging for Cleveland to make LeBron a folk hero doesn't make sense because the lottery for the Wiggins draft happened before LeBron decided to come back. Now, if they were making them win the draft to make up for Bennett being a bust, that'd make more sense. Unless LeBron masterminded the whole thing to get Love to Cleveland and colluded with EY and the commissioner.

LeBron isn't above colluding, however I don't think he would have in this case as the lotto happened before the Heat lost.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Time posted:

The Houston Rockets are playing the Oklahoma City Thunder tomorrow for the season championship of Me versus My Friend Metapod. I'm posting this so I can quote it tomorrow evening and laugh at him.

Ryan Anderson is out with an ankle sprain :( :( :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's amazing to me how quickly noah cratered, it really blows having him and the ghost of luol deng floating around on lovely teams sucking and hinrich out of the league. at least gordon's roasting dudes in the d-league.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Uncle tom turned out all along to be the gluepiece holding them all together

Like the literal gluepiece inbetween their bones because he worn out all their ligaments

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I had a dream Bruce Willis had a nightly sport talk show on NBA TV called Bruce Nightly.

And hair.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Why would anyone ask for the approval of the people they're screwing over if they're running a conspiracy? Of course the cheaters didn't get broad permission to cheat. They did it in secret. That's a silly irrelevant argument.

I assumed the theory was that the league as a whole was compensating the Cavs for having LeBron leave by giving them a raft of number one picks. I guess you could also argue that only Cleveland and the commissioner were in on it, but the idea that both Stern and Silver would both risk prison time to help out Dan Gilbert in the most obvious way possible is even more ridiculous.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Devin Booker just dropped 70 on the Celtics.

Ya crazy

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Does Booker scoring 70 and the Suns still losing count as the best way to tank? I'm a Laker fan and I say they earned the top pick for that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Student athlete tweets are 😙👌

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Actually I'll be the one quoting this and laughing

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

The Rockets are now Above League Average defense. God bless.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthewacherry/status/845811985467949056

This is cool

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/845769874215354368

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It's weird to see Russ animated and happy while talking to the media, which seems to be his least favorite activity.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I flipped to the end of Raptors Mavs after the last college game tonight. Briefly saw Patrick Patterson hit a shot, start screaming/taunting Rick Carlisle, and the Refs double teched Patterson and Carlisle. Sorry Raptors fans but I hope your team crashes and burns hard in the playoffs now. Keep your role players in check.

I won't actually care about this tomorrow or even in an hour. Don't get offended.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 26, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I know this is already old, but it's still making me laugh

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

quote:

MORNING TIP: WHAT HAS CHANGED FOR OTTO PORTER SINCE ALL-STAR BREAK?
By J. Michael March 24, 2017 6:00 AM

All of Otto Porter's numbers post-All-Star break have taken a dip, especially his accuracy from three-point range for the Wizards.

The assumption -- and typical explanations -- made are to be expected at this time of year. Porter has played in 71 games and is averaging a career-high 33.6 minutes therefore he's tired.

He very well could be. Last season, he complained to John Wall about feeling worn down two months into an 82-game season.

But to dumb down Porter's struggles to something that every starter in the NBA experiences ignores the more nuanced reasons for the dip in his play. He's a priority on the scouting reports, and he's not being left open for clean threes and he's being closed out and forced to put the ball on the floor to finish which isn't a strength of his game.

Neither of these explanations hold any water. Last year he shot 45% on threes after the all star break after hitting just 32% before. I've done the math and run the numbers and he is getting just as open looks this season after the break as he did before the break--nobody gameplans for Otto Porter, at least not any more or less than at any other point in the last few seasons. The real answer of course is regression to the mean, the most pervasive and inescapable cause of anything that happens in life, yet the one writers almost never look at. I guess "poo poo Happens" isn't a great clickbait headline, but it happens to be the best explanation for most patterns.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spacebump posted:

I flipped to the end of Raptors Mavs after the last college game tonight. Briefly saw Patrick Patterson hit a shot, start screaming/taunting Rick Carlisle, and the Refs double teched Patterson and Carlisle. Sorry Raptors fans but I hope your team crashes and burns hard in the playoffs now. Keep your role players in check.

I won't actually care about this tomorrow or even in an hour. Don't get offended.

I was pretty surprised to see it was Patterson. He's usually pretty mellow on and off the court.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

sum posted:

I assumed the theory was that the league as a whole was compensating the Cavs for having LeBron leave by giving them a raft of number one picks. I guess you could also argue that only Cleveland and the commissioner were in on it, but the idea that both Stern and Silver would both risk prison time to help out Dan Gilbert in the most obvious way possible is even more ridiculous.

Whoa if rigging the draft is worth prison time then rigging the world series must be worth the freakin' death penalty

oops wait no neither of those things are actually crimes the players who deliberately threw games and rigged the outcome of the world series for the mafia were sentenced to not being allowed to play pro baseball anymore

Hah this is a lil like a few years ago when I had to break the news to a friend of mine that the Patriots cheating didn't really have to be punished by anyone and likely would have no consequences because there obviously no actual laws about this sort of thing and the NFLeague is just a group of lawyers who represent the team owners in labor disputes.

lol imagine if you went to jail for cheating at sports

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

EvanTH posted:

Whoa if rigging the draft is worth prison time then rigging the world series must be worth the freakin' death penalty

oops wait no neither of those things are actually crimes the players who deliberately threw games and rigged the outcome of the world series for the mafia were sentenced to not being allowed to play pro baseball anymore

Hah this is a lil like a few years ago when I had to break the news to a friend of mine that the Patriots cheating didn't really have to be punished by anyone and likely would have no consequences because there obviously no actual laws about this sort of thing and the NFLeague is just a group of lawyers who represent the team owners in labor disputes.

lol imagine if you went to jail for cheating at sports

I mean, we don't really send millionaires to jail anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Having watched the highlight now, that's a pretty boring 70 points. Almost no impressive individual plays. It's obviously a hell of a performance but Giannis's and Jokic's highlights from last night are a lot more fun to watch.

By far the best play, a circus three point shot he made as he was falling down after a collision was called off due to an unrelated foul. It would have been play of the night if it had counted.

• Locked thread