Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought it was weird that all his living relatives were dead and that he could not just go " Oh yeah, I have a cousin".Like it's incredibly rare for someone to not have any living relatives what so ever especially at Danny's age. Just like statistically.

If Danny were like in his 80s maybe he would have no living relatives , but this means that his father and mother were both either single children or their brothers and sisters had no children whatsoever.

It's just bizarre.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was weird that all his living relatives were dead and that he could not just go " Oh yeah, I have a cousin".

Like it's incredibly rare for someone to not have any living relatives what so ever. Just like statistically.

They were billionaires. Maybe they went all European Aristocracy and he's inbred to poo poo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It is just statistically improbable and was kind of dumb. Like to be his age and to have ZERO living relatives.

Also, the guy went to school. Like he had people other than only his parents and the Meachums that knew him.

I dunno just kind of loving dumb. Like sure if he was adopted or something then yeah but he wasn't.

https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/when-theres-no-family

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 25, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lycus posted:

I don't know poo poo about business law, but as a layman, I'd be fine with "We filed an injunction against you firing the board due to your well-established mental incompetence."

Coming back from the dead to owning 51% of the company is still a mystery to me, though.
All I'm reminded of is the first episode of the last season of Venture Bros where Rusty's first act as owner of the company was to fire the board of directors.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Actually Danny would have just opened himself up to massive lawsuits by shareholders. The thing to remember is that owners and CEOs of companies have a duty to the company itself in a legal sense and doing something like that would get them sued if it's a publicly traded company.

This is like if Tim Cook suddenly said that tomorrow Apple was going to release the IPAD at a 600 dollar cost and then publicly give away it's patents. He would be sued and probably removed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Everyone knows the dude was in a mental hospital, and made some erratic company decisions afterward. Seems like an open and shut case.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Here is a good explanation of what would have happened:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/suing-a-corporation-as-a-corporate-shareholder.html

quote:

Derivative Lawsuit: Suing Directors and Officers on Behalf of the Corporation
In a shareholder derivative suit action, an individual or shareholder of the corporation would bring suit against the corporation on behalf of the corporation, rather than as a individual person. Derivative suits are usually brought against insiders of the corporations like the directors, officers, board members who have been accused or suspected of acts that caused harm against the corporation.

In order for a shareholder to bring a derivative suit, it must be shown that:

Standing: The shareholder that is bring the suit on behalf of the corporation had stock ownership at the time of the act complained of or during the course of the pending litigation being brought.
Represent Interest of Shareholder: The shareholder bring suit must represent the shareholders interest and not just their own personal interest.
Make a written Demand: Prior to bring a derivative suit, a shareholder must make a written demand to the directors about the complaint. Then, if the directors fail to take action. The shareholder could be excused from making the demand if they show that the corporation will immediately be harmed if they make the demand and wait for a response or action by directors, and the suit must be made immediately.
Corporation as Defendant: The Corporation must be named as a defendant even if the suit is brought on behalf of the corporation.
Business Judgment Rule: Courts will dismiss the suit if the disinterested directors determined that the transaction was not wrongful and was done in good faith, with a rational basis and even if it harmed the corporation, there was no fraudulent or wrongful conduct.
- See more at: http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/suing-a-corporation-as-a-corporate-shareholder.html#sthash.CCnttoVS.dpuf

Also, owning 51% of a stock does not mean that you "own" the company. There are different types of stock. Also, if Danny was declared dead those stocks would have been sold.

Basically it's dumb and stupid.

Why does Danny still have 51% stock? Why would the company just set aside billions of dollars for someone presumed dead in a plane crash in the mountains for 15 years.Its so loving dumb.

http://www.companylawclub.co.uk/what-happens-if-a-shareholder-dies

What would have actually happened would be Danny would have been declared dead , then the State of New York would since he has no living relatives I believe the State of New York would have received the shares. You can bet your rear end they'd move as fast as possible to get those shares.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 25, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

"A child billionaire from New York winds up in a magic City of Heaven whose opposition to evil extends only to their own borders. He returns to New York to reclaim his company title and finds that the company likewise cares only about its own profits. Neither facet informs his motivations in any clearly articulated way."

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is exactly what I wanted. A man trained in the ways of kung fu, naive to the ways and pop culture of the modern world. I wanted him to listen to early 2000's hip hop while training, constantly making dumb/funny references to things long since unpopular for a bit of comedy, bringing the Zen and peace to his new corporation, all the while trying to hunt the hand, and come to terms with his brash and irresponsible mistakes.

There was just so much potential in those scenarios that was missed - a student of Eastern philosophy suddenly in charge of a billion dollar business empire, a kid who has missed 15 years of societal/cultural development suddenly thrust back into the world, a zen master stepping into post-Avengers New York.

Such a waste. :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What's with these shows being so reluctant to name-drop Avengers? The average person in the MCU wouldn't know Hulk or Thor by name, but Iron Man and Captain America are public figures. Is there a licensing issue or something that leaves us with the Defenders talking about "iron suits" and "flag-wavers"? Are they worried people will expect cameos? Whatever it is, it's super awkward.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
IIRC whoever runs the show (Feige?) explicitly wants to keep them separate, similarly to DC/Vertigo divide before entire thing got rebooted again. Maybe the "people expect cameos and we can't pay RDJ another bunch of millions" worry is legit or it's just personal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Toast Museum posted:

What's with these shows being so reluctant to name-drop Avengers? The average person in the MCU wouldn't know Hulk or Thor by name, but Iron Man and Captain America are public figures. Is there a licensing issue or something that leaves us with the Defenders talking about "iron suits" and "flag-wavers"? Are they worried people will expect cameos? Whatever it is, it's super awkward.

Everything Marvel outside the movies is run by this rear end in a top hat

He famously wouldn't make Black Widow action figures because he didn't believe anyone buys girl toys. Despite a public campaign to get said toys. He is the worst.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

Everything Marvel outside the movies is run by this rear end in a top hat

He famously wouldn't make Black Widow action figures because he didn't believe anyone buys girl toys. Despite a public campaign to get said toys. He is the worst.
Keep in mind this was the last professional photo of him that was made in the 1980s; guy was in disguise for the screening of the first Iron Man movie. Also remember how people like Chris Evans were ready to leave once their contracts with Marvel were up, suddenly they became more receptive to doing more film roles once Ike was gone from Marvel Studios.

Toast Museum posted:

I'm glad in Luke Cage they at least let him get called "Harlem's Captain America" I think its just a misguided attempt to make it look like the people on the streets don't really know who the Avengers are despite this not being set in the 90s but in the era of cell phones and easy access to the internet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

achillesforever6 posted:

Keep in mind this was the last professional photo of him that was made in the 1980s; guy was in disguise for the screening of the first Iron Man movie. Also remember how people like Chris Evans were ready to leave once their contracts with Marvel were up, suddenly they became more receptive to doing more film roles once Ike was gone from Marvel Studios.

Chirs Evans was also a lot more receptive to being Captain America forever when his directorial debut was a huge critical and financial flop

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
If K'un-Lun was a magical city, pretty sure it's a bad look to have nearly all the flashback scenes (such as they were) feature Danny wearing absolutely filthy robes. He was legit less dirty as a homeless man in New York than when he lived in the closest thing to heaven that exists.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
At the end of the first episode. I'm glad Danny found a homeless man to be friends with. :unsmith:

e: oh no he left because danny is a jerk :smith:

So far the show is slow and I can hear them cribbing music from the Daredevil soundtrack, particularly right after Danny crashes the car.

Why is Faramir arguing with his son. How is this episode not over already.

The weird part is that the camera work is good and I'm enjoying that aspect.

watching this isn't worth it, I'll wait for the Youtube highlight reel. Finn Jones actually isn't that bad, but he's got gently caress all to work with. Someone drag this Scott Buck guy out to the woodshed.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 26, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

GuyUpNorth posted:

IIRC whoever runs the show (Feige?) explicitly wants to keep them separate, similarly to DC/Vertigo divide before entire thing got rebooted again. Maybe the "people expect cameos and we can't pay RDJ another bunch of millions" worry is legit or it's just personal.

Feige has almost no involvement in the TV side of things. The only credit he has on TV is EP on Agent Carter.

It is still weird because AOS name drops Avengers and other MCU stuff all the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HIJK posted:

At the end of the first episode. I'm glad Danny found a homeless man to be friends with. :unsmith:

e: oh no he left because danny is a jerk :smith:

Yeah, Danny's whole interaction with that guy really soured me to his character - which is a bad thing to do in the very first episode. Especially for a character who spends the entire rest of the season making bad decision after bad decision.

Homeless guy - those people out there look down on people like us. They're fools.

Danny - You're right. They are fools if they look at us and think I'm anything like you. *scoffs*

Like, gently caress you Danny! And the guy still told him where to find shoes and later even bought him a free meal and Danny still blew him off again. No wonder he decided to kill himself.

The "enlightened" Iron Fist's first kill.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

They name check Captain America - Foggy says "and I can say I'm Captain America, but it doesn't put wings on my head", and I think Iron Man as well.

Which makes the "big green dude" in both JJ and IF even weirder to me. It's frustrating, as both JJ and LC kind of have moments where it tries to set up a contrast between them and the Avengers, and then just swerves away at the last minute.

I did like Wesley in DD though "Just one man? Well, if had an iron suit or a magic hammer I might understand"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finally finished it. That was aggressively mediocre.

I could ramble about how stupid Danny is from beginning to end but I wouldn't be saying anything new so, meh.

Davos is cool and I hope he murders everyone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad in Luke Cage they at least let him get called "Harlem's Captain America" I think its just a misguided attempt to make it look like the people on the streets don't really know who the Avengers are despite this not being set in the 90s but in the era of cell phones and easy access to the internet.

Are the Daily Planet and whatever JJ Jameson's news firm was called still successful newspaper businesses?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Which makes the "big green dude" in both JJ and IF even weirder to me. It's frustrating, as both JJ and LC kind of have moments where it tries to set up a contrast between them and the Avengers, and then just swerves away at the last minute.

Unless they were at the fight scenes where Hulk screamed his name, or someone recorded that one, I don't think anyone's getting his or Black Widow's names. Because the first one is ludicrously dangerous and the other one probably wants to be not plastered on every newspaper as a spy. Or maybe they drop that. I dunno.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 26, 2017

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
This was a mediocre show from start to finish - as people said, at least that made it more consistent than some of the other shows - but for some reason I was particularly enraged by the bit where Davos is shouting at Claire, then calms himself down and apologises. And Claire goes, "How did you do that? I've seen Danny do that." CLAIRE IT IS CALLED TAKING A BREATH AND CALMING THE gently caress DOWN. What kind of people do you hang out with where stopping yourself from yelling is seen as some kind of magical monk poo poo?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Had to wait to the drunken guy in episode 8 for an actual good fight that involved Danny. His fighting still sucked but the drunken guy was awesome. I don't suppose he'll appear more, will he?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: Nevermind!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 26, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: "You are a terrible Iron Fist"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"Got any bourbon?" *pulls out Johnny Walker Black* :lol:

EDIT: Are we seriously introduced another villain with four and a half episodes to go?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 26, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

notthegoatseguy posted:

"Got any bourbon?" *pulls out Johnny Walker Black* :lol:

EDIT: Are we seriously introduced another villain with four and a half episodes to go?

It worked so well with Luke Cage! :downs:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

presumably it was child size fingerprints. He didn't have adult hands when he was ten

So it's not truly a Trump parallel.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wait a minute. Don't hospitals take footprints of babies when they're born? Couldn't they compare Adult Danny to Child Danny that way?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

Wait a minute. Don't hospitals take footprints of babies when they're born? Couldn't they compare Adult Danny to Child Danny that way?

I had been under the impression that there had been a campaign of erasure conducted, like that one dude who set fire to the hospital records where Danny had broken his leg or wahtever as a child.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute. Couldn't the just write a better show that doesn't depend on any of these dumb gimmicks to resolve a made-up problem?

We're supposed to take seriously that they have tried to erase all evidence linking this guy to the real danny rand. Okay, that's a solid seed for a story.

And then a fingerprint on a clay pot that Danny supposedly made as a child is what magically holds up in court? And we're supposed to take that seriously? Like are you kidding?

In fuckin season 2, there will probably be a part where Danny watchesThe Karate Kid and he's like "Oh... I think The Thunderer was trying to teach me discipline. This whole time I thought he was just being hard on me".

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think the fingerprint was enough to convince Joy and Ward, and then eventually Harold said "Welcome him back with open arms" and they stopped contesting it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Joy was visibly struggling when Jeri brought it out, and she was more or less convinced ever since M&Ms. While that conflict could have been dragged on to "company or family" dilemma, they really had to get Defenders laid out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But they wrote the conflict in the first place. When you write a story, you get to create both the conflict and the conflict resolution. Don't write dumb as poo poo conflict resolution.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HIJK posted:

I was like 'can't they pull his dental records?' Though IDK if baby teeth show up different than adult teeth...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Scott Buck clearly thought the clay pot thing was very clever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Scott Buck clearly thought the clay pot thing was very clever.

Based on the ending of Dexter, I'm sure this is true.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot
It's so weird that everybody thought Danny was rude to the homeless guy. The whole thing seemed sweet to me, a moment of real human contact after a day spent with the sociopaths on the top floor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So this is weird but Alt Right (white supremacists) are review bombing IMBD and rating sites to falsely increase the ranking of the show among review aggregate websites.

These are some of the "10 star reviews" for IMDB

These are all the different reviews from IMDB

quote:

After watching Iron Fist, I am convinced that the only reason it received bad reviews before it EVEN PREMIERED was because of the fact that Danny Rand is a white man.

I noticed people bashing the lead because he is white. Iron Fist was white so I do not understand that position. To expect the lead to be Asian simply because there is martial arts involved is racist in itself. Please also understand that his whiteness is actually important to the story. It leads to the two worlds fish out of water uneasiness that the main brings.

I understand when Iron Fist was created they made him white in fear of him not selling as an Asian character. But it's not the same in the modern comics or this show for that matter. This show hasn't made him out to be some white savior, and I'm thankful for that. I do wish there were strong Asian superheroes, but I still like this particular character whether he's white or Asian. If you read any of this review, read this part. Watch the show for yourself. Judge it based on your feelings towards it. Don't let a critic tell you not to watch it. Form your own opinion, and please stay open minded.

Its about some AWESOME white guy who can throw an iron punch that is casted as lead because he's incredible, while the real martial arts master, Lewis Tan, is portrayed as an important side character with great martial arts chops.

There are hundred of these reviews. All men pretty much by profile pic.

Here's from Rotten Tomatoes:

quote:

The entire breakdown from the professional critics boils down to : " he's white and that's bad." STFU and read a comic book you hacks.

Don't listen to the critics on this one... Critics followed the lead of SJW's everywhere but this show is great!

Anyway I have no desire to go down the rabbit hole but yeah other websites have pointed this out in reviews as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be weird if that didn't happen. While the race of Danny Rand is a totally germane topic, the way the reviews were aggregated made it appear that Danny being a white guy played a role in the review score. Add in that aggregating scores results in stupid numbers and a false sense of opinion, and it's not surprising at all that a lot of people are pissed about Iron Fist being the latest "whipping boy" of the evil sjw plot to make us all fear white washing. Even if, as I'm pretty sure is the case, no significant amount of reviews complained about white washing since Iron Fist is not an example of white washing.

Of course Iron Fist has no one but themselves to blame for this. Review aggregation sites are complete dogshit for telling people that whatever is being reviewed is mediocre. All the reviews that boiled down to "meh" were of course counted as negative reviews, because the aggregation sites don't want to take the time to properly sort their collections of reviews beyond thumbs up or thumbs down. Putting out anything less than an OK or better product is going to be treated the same as putting out dreck, this is well known and the production has to know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

But they wrote the conflict in the first place. When you write a story, you get to create both the conflict and the conflict resolution. Don't write dumb as poo poo conflict resolution.

Harold was a great character, and I'm loathe to suggest that they actually should've removed a good thing from the show, but I think overall it would've been better if Harold wasn't involved. If the Hand was directly controlling Ward, and Joy suspected that something was going on but didn't have any evidence, I think that would've worked better. If there had been an existing power game going on between Ward and Joy, and then Danny showed up and both of them had to consider if he was an asset or a liability to the company as a whole and to their own plans specifically, I think that would've been a lot more interesting. And given Joy more reason to exist.