Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What if they're the same salami?

Then I applaud your mobility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

5/3/1 BBB leg day is the worst. 5x10 squats and my legs are numb.

I decided to do a Widowmaker instead of the last two sets of squats today. Would not recommend. I'm always torn between deciding if 5x10 deadlift is worse than squat. Both are awful.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Better than my doctor, who refused to believe that it could be exercise related, and insisted I was either a heavy drinker (I'm almost teetotal) or substance abuser. Even when I showed him medical journal articles. Needless to say after that fun time I got myself a new doctor.

Hrm, I just go to one of those walk in family clinic places. The last time I went for something unrelated, I also happened to mention those knee issues I was having when I squatted. I was expecting him to say "Hrm, it's only when you squat? Well stop squatting" but he actually told me it was probably a patellar tracking issue and told me to keep up with stretching/mobility and to try out weighted lunges or any other single leg squat variation. I wish I got his name, hopefully I'll get him again. He even said something about crossfit people being dumb.

e: Also I did drink fairly heavily and sort of still do. Used to be about 4 16oz beers a night for several months, then I'd say over this past 6 months I drink about 3 regular beers a night, plus or minus one. And on my off days I'll go through more steadily over the night but not to the point of being actually drunk, but my off days are about half as much as regular people so those nights are about 5 times a month. And I used to abuse the heck out of drugs but it's been a few years now. Guessing if it comes back looking weird I'll have to completely stop working out a while to rule that out, but I'll just tell the doctor and figure it out.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 25, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Uh yeah, you drink kind of a lot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Got super gassed doing deadlifts. Like, more gassed than ever before. I had to take a knee, and then I actually saw stars. Was kinda interesting, never had that happen.

I guess my exhaustion is catching up to me.

naem
May 29, 2011

I've switched to red wine, and because I don't actually like wine I only drink like a cup occasionally, and I feel pretty dang healthy lately. If I have a beer on the weekend it's literally like "a beer." At this point I might not die horribly! Well, yet

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I only drink on "special occasions".

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I only drink on "special occasions".

does "surviving the day" count as a special occasion?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Got super gassed doing deadlifts. Like, more gassed than ever before. I had to take a knee, and then I actually saw stars. Was kinda interesting, never had that happen.

it's cool to gently caress yourself up deadlifting. sometimes it's like you enter another dimension to get that last rep. your vision and hearing start to go and hopefully come back just in the nick of time

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 26, 2017

naem
May 29, 2011

Lol if you aren't in constant pain

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Lol if you aren't in constant pain

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

does "surviving the day" count as a special occasion?

No.

I genuinely don't understand alcoholism. Drinking every night or not-socially makes no sense to me.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sassassin posted:

No.

I genuinely don't understand alcoholism. Drinking every night or not-socially makes no sense to me.

Well, aside from the whole 'drinking to drown out how poo poo your life is' dimension of alcoholism, and psychiatric disorders, there are also indications that there's a genetic predisposition in some people to abuse alcohol if they come into contact with it. It appears to have certain impacts on dopamine in some individuals, according to this tentative study from the 1990s, and a study from 2009 found that these results appeared to be confirmed. An interesting study published in 2014 appears to indicate that there are actually genetic predispositions that make you more likely to resist alcoholism as well as to be more likely to suffer it.

For the non-alcoholic heavy drinker, I don't know how hangovers don't make them stop. Also, alcohol killz gainz.

This morning I did 5/3/1 BBB with the 5x10 on OHP. Pain and misery.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
The drinking thing just sort of snuck up on me once I started working so much. Drinking beer after work became a sort of ritual

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Sounds like your insulin levels dropped out. Eat a carb before you workout to prevent it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

E_P posted:

Sounds like your insulin levels dropped out. Eat a carb before you workout to prevent it.

Is the what it was? I'll try next time.

Alternatively, I could aim for that fuzzy feeling every time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Beer taste good.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
pasta is your friend

carb load them muscles bro

naem
May 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Beer taste good.

I know :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
On the bus, just realized I forgot my gym bag.

gently caress.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

It seems like I can not actually squat.

Don't get me wrong I do but every cycle I get intense pain which I think is inflammation of the right hip joint or something. It's only the right hip joint.
I had this before and continued to lift until the pain crept into my back and it took like a year to go away. Then at some point I stopped squatting but I forgot about it and now I started again, same result after no pain for a year or so.

Long story short, I can not squat.

What's a good thing to do in this case?
I still DL, I suppose I can do a bit of quad lever thing?

help
I do 531 BBB

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

caps on caps on caps posted:

Don't get me wrong I do but every cycle I get intense pain which I think is inflammation of the right hip joint or something. It's only the right hip joint.
I had this before and continued to lift until the pain crept into my back and it took like a year to go away. Then at some point I stopped squatting but I forgot about it and now I started again, same result after no pain for a year or so.

help
I do 531 BBB

Don't squat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Have you tried front squats? They always cause different injuries for me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hohum 220 pound muscle snatch triples

https://instagram.com/p/BSHRsCYgr1w/

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
That looks like a fun lift

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

On the bus, just realized I forgot my gym bag.

gently caress.

double owned

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

caps on caps on caps posted:

help
I do 531 BBB

Why not keep squatting until you're crippled

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Girls like big arms and tiny legs so stop squatting or keep squatting everything will work out fine (except you might be in a wheelchair in one scenario).

yolo

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

How many of these should I be incorporating into my routine?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154932817756006&id=7331091005

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
One for each dumbbell.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Is the what it was? I'll try next time.

Alternatively, I could aim for that fuzzy feeling every time.

Probably just a vagal response from straining, particularly if it all came right back. That's what happens in all the youtubes of people lifting hard and then face planting.

Just pretend you're Deadpool and shout MAXIMUM EFFORT.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I have a love hate relationship with bulking. I love bulking. I hate feeling like all I'm doing is getting fat.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

me at the gym warming up to do a squats

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
3 months of rest and my elbows feel worse than ever.

Just going to start taking pills before I lift again. Can't let my shoulders shrink any more.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

3 months of rest and my elbows feel worse than ever.

Just going to start taking pills before I lift again. Can't let my shoulders shrink any more.
Did you try lifting baby weights for not many reps? You've actively hated on active recovery, but at some point after you rest enough takin it slow and taking your time isn't a bad idea.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So you guy's still wanna be like me, you still want to have the same work ethic is I had. Well as you can see I'm 8 X Mr Olympia and I can't walk. I endured an 11 hour major back surgery last Tuesday. Do I have any regrets?, if I had a chance to do it all over again would I change anything? Yes if I had a chance to do it all over again I would change one thing. That is when I squatted that 800lbs I would do 4 reps instead of 2, that is my only regret in my career. Those 2 reps I did still haunts me today because I know I had 4 in me but the coward in me only did 2. That is my only regret.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

Did you try lifting baby weights for not many reps? You've actively hated on active recovery, but at some point after you rest enough takin it slow and taking your time isn't a bad idea.

I lifted baby weights last night (16kg overhead dumbbell press lol fml) so maybe that's the way to go.

Active stuff has never done anything but make situations worse for me in the past, while 8 weeks no lifting followed by a period of "getting back into it" had a 100% success rate. It's like finding out Santa isn't real.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

I lifted baby weights last night (16kg overhead dumbbell press lol fml) so maybe that's the way to go.

Active stuff has never done anything but make situations worse for me in the past, while 8 weeks no lifting followed by a period of "getting back into it" had a 100% success rate. It's like finding out Santa isn't real.
I had okay success with light active stuff with distal biceps tendon injuries. I'm not even sure it was injured it was just weak as hell and hurt a lot, even at night and days later, when I started lifting, and it has since stopped hurting but it took months and having to take breaks from squatting which is what agitated it.

And by "light active" I mean I was curling some 10lbs dumbbells or something just to use it.

I had okay success with active recovery ~2 weeks after pain stopped after wrecking some dumb muscle in my back/hipsso bad it took 3 months to recover. I managed to do that shoveling snow, not at the gym.

Could you have the dreaded permanent injury that needs surgery?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just pretend you're Deadpool and shout MAXIMUM EFFORT.

Probably the best response.

Also it's crunch time so I can't gym now. This is the worst feeling :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
I'm pissed since I have 2 bags of weight gainer protein and cant loving use them now

Recently got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and they might have gluten in them

Might just gently caress it and destroy the bags within a week