Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Headbobbing does it for me. It makes me extremely nauseous within minutes. Also back in the day Half-Life 2 made me really sick after an hour or so of playing, for some reason. Excessive motion blur is another killer, and of course narrow FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Since DancingMachine hasn't posted it in a while, here's a reminder that Amazon Games is always hiring. https://games.amazon.com/careers

Especially my team, which is the super best team, and we just opened three engineering positions https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/514772 https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/516387 https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/516386 plus a technical director position, plus an audio director position that I can't find the posting for right now but PM me if interested.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vino posted:

Since DancingMachine hasn't posted it in a while, here's a reminder that Amazon Games is always hiring. https://games.amazon.com/careers

Especially my team, which is the super best team, and we just opened three engineering positions https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/514772 https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/516387 https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/516386 plus a technical director position, plus an audio director position that I can't find the posting for right now but PM me if interested.

I don't think you could pay me enough to work for Amazon. There's a reason they're always hiring.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fight! Fight! Fight!

No, but I've heard good-to-average things about Amazon Games, but only terrible things about Amazon proper. I do wonder, they seem to be gung ho into games but have yet to really release stuff so far.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Vino posted:

mfcrocker posted:

I don't think you could pay me enough to work for Amazon. There's a reason they're always hiring.

Last time I interviewed with amazon games I was asked if I had worked on any "real" games coming off of a few years working professionally with unity. When I talked about my c++ experience, they were still extremely hostile.

You'd have to pay me a lot to work with people like that.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

leper khan posted:

Last time I interviewed with amazon games I was asked if I had worked on any "real" games coming off of a few years working professionally with unity. When I talked about my c++ experience, they were still extremely hostile.

When I interviewed with them they said they were looking for "real c++ programmers, not amateurs", and we hadn't even gotten to talk code. :laffo:

edit: I'm an incorporeal c++ wraith. Ya got me bud.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

When I interviewed with them they said they were looking for "real c++ programmers, not amateurs", and we hadn't even gotten to talk code. :laffo:

edit: I'm an incorporeal c++ wraith. Ya got me bud.

Are you back in games yet?

Probably unrelated: we're currently hiring in Boston for cognitive scientists (essentially game design, esp. interaction/ai design) and people what have used Unity before. Also frontend/web stuff. All levels. PM me, etc. We have a strong preference for US citizens. :911:
Pay is not absolutely terrible (though admittedly not super great), hours/work environment are really good.

e:
Also if any students are lurking the thread, we have bunches of internship slots we're trying to fill.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 25, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
There's no such thing as "amateur" and "real" in C++, it's just "doesn't understand C++" and "can one ever truly understand C++".

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
You can unserstamd 80% of c++ and be basically a god but you'll still be stuck developing for Nintendo platforms that don't support half of what you know.

I literally can't remember the name of the console that came after the Wii right now.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Wii U

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wii Urself

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

leper khan posted:

Are you back in games yet?

Not yet. I've got a few promising leads to follow up on. I have a surgery coming up though, so any attempts at getting back in might be delayed.

SupSuper posted:

There's no such thing as "amateur" and "real" in C++, it's just "doesn't understand C++" and "can one ever truly understand C++".

There's the secret tiers "Wrote a C++ Standards Proposal", "C++ Committee Member", and "Literally Alexander Stepanov".

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

Not yet. I've got a few promising leads to follow up on. I have a surgery coming up though, so any attempts at getting back in might be delayed.

There's the secret tiers "Wrote a C++ Standards Proposal", "C++ Committee Member", and "Literally Alexander Stepanov".

Where do the secret tiers rank on the "may have difficulty identifying priorities" to "what are you doing with your life?" spectrum?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

leper khan posted:

I got past that because I had LEGO experience, but then they started grilling hard core on stuff you never touch in games. The idea being that their staff is treated like cogs, and can be retasked anywhere in Amazon as need arises.

I think maybe one of my interviewers was a games guy. So they asked the back end server and threading questions you'd expect. Then they did that four more times.

I did... not come away with a good impression. But that was a few years ago.

Probably if I interviewed today, I'd get the Unity stink eye. Which is like... cool, probably not a place I'd want to work, good to know. Seems weirdly elitist?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 26, 2017

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Wow I've never seen such a strong response to Amazon in this thread before.

leper khan posted:

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

That's disappointing. Nobody in my studio is like this. You should have gotten a feedback email after your interview, I hope you'll dig it up and fill it out if you had a bad experience like this. That stuff actually does get listened to and acted on. Or you can send feedback to me and I'll make sure it gets to the right place.

mfcrocker posted:

There's a reason they're always hiring.

It's because we're growing. Amazon is spending a lot of money on games. Outside of games I don't know, but inside of games morale is high and turnover is low. In my studio it's the highest. I'm not sure what you've heard about Amazon but it's a loving amazing place to work and I love it there, or I wouldn't be pushing postings here. Please PM me if you want to hear the real deal long story.

mutata posted:

I do wonder, they seem to be gung ho into games but have yet to really release stuff so far.

Good food takes time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fair enough, but I can't seem to get a job with a company that survives longer than a couple years, and I've had 4 jobs in my 6 years in the industry so I just assume no one can ship poo poo and everyone is on the verge of failure.

Edit: lol, that sounds super cynical. I guess that's the headspace I'm in this week, sorry.

mutata fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 26, 2017

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

mutata posted:

Fair enough, but I can't seem to get a job with a company that survives longer than a couple years, and I've had 4 jobs in my 6 years in the industry so I just assume no one can ship poo poo and everyone is on the verge of failure.

Edit: lol, that sounds super cynical. I guess that's the headspace I'm in this week, sorry.

stop killing studios you jerk

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vino posted:

It's because we're growing. Amazon is spending a lot of money on games. Outside of games I don't know, but inside of games morale is high and turnover is low. In my studio it's the highest. I'm not sure what you've heard about Amazon but it's a loving amazing place to work and I love it there, or I wouldn't be pushing postings here. Please PM me if you want to hear the real deal long story.

Outside of games Amazon is a renowned shithole to work at. Maybe you've got the lucky department, who knows.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

mutata posted:

I've been in the same situatuion except for my current job and that's only because I'm making free educational games so it is basically government funded and revenue is not an issue. The downside is that there is practically no budget.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I should charge competitors sabotage fees.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

When I interviewed for Amazon one interviewer crouched behind me and another pushed me!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Studio posted:

When I interviewed for Amazon one interviewer crouched behind me and another pushed me!
Sounds awesome. Any studio that doesn't show evidence of whacky job site hijinks on day one is a hard pass for me.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Nerf gun battles or it ain't no videogame studio.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Chernabog posted:

Nerf gun battles or it ain't no videogame studio.

Hey, we used to do that at Carbine!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey, for testing roles in QA and such, am I supposed to get all the certifications off my own back to get some callbacks or what? I've been a lead at Microsoft for 3 years but it feels like it's worth precisely dick and it's kinda bumming me out.

Just got like, 4 rejection emails in the space of a week. Some of them are reasonable (position had already gone by the time I'd applied and such) but one place has had this position up on their job page for like , 2 years and I figured they'd definitely call me back (Rebellion, in Oxford) and just now saw a tester position going with a Sony studio in Guildford so I assume either Supermassive or Media Molecule or some other one. I failed the initial set of questions, the only one I answered with a "no" that I can think caused me to fail was the one that asked if I'm a certified agile tester. Getting that will cost me like, £1500 apparently and probably won't guarantee me any jobs either right? Just don't see how I'm supposed to do any better when I can't get any other jobs than this zero hour, constantly shrinking in terms of available work role.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

leper khan posted:

Probably unrelated: we're currently hiring in Boston for cognitive scientists (essentially game design, esp. interaction/ai design) and people what have used Unity before. Also frontend/web stuff. All levels. PM me, etc. We have a strong preference for US citizens. :911:
Pay is not absolutely terrible (though admittedly not super great), hours/work environment are really good.

How much using of Unity are we talking about here? I've only gotten it to cover some bar tabs and a dinner but never a trip to Vegas. Hit me up via my gmail: BirdOfPlay61000, cause I don't have PM's.

Vino posted:

Good food takes time.

It's 5:15, and you need backups from the walk-in, chef?

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Edit:
All right, I'll go away.

BovineFury fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2017

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Pay an artist.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!

baby puzzle posted:

Pay an artist.

Not this again. Maybe I don't have money to pay an artist? I didn't ask anybody for art, just for people to take a look and throw out some ideas if they had any.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol savage.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

There are people that make a living doing just what you are asking for.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
It gets annoying every time I ever post something I'm working on to then be told to hire an artist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there isn't much in the way of alternatives to offer you:

a) Hire an artist
b) Become an artist
c) Use art in the public domain
d) Steal from an artist

Pick one (well, not D).

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Then stop posting.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I heard some artists will take a toaster as payment.

But seriously, you might have better luck in the game development thread. Also, I can take a look later once I'm not on my phone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

xzzy posted:

Well there isn't much in the way of alternatives to offer you:

a) Hire an artist
b) Become an artist
c) Use art in the public domain
d) Steal from an artist

Pick one (well, not D).

I guess I can suggest:
e) Figure out a stylized artistic direction that you can pull off as a programmer

Think something like Geometry Wars, which is very stylized but could definitely be pulled off by a creative minded programmer. But then, if you had such a direction, I imagine you wouldn't need to post here in the first place. :v:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

baby puzzle posted:

Pay an artist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

baby puzzle posted:

Pay an artist.

Yeah, really. This is the Game Jobs Megathread, which kind of pre-supposes that we're all specifically looking to do game-related work for money.

Also...

BovineFury posted:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BovineFury posted:

I didn't ask anybody for art, just for people to take a look and throw out some ideas if they had any.

No one's saying you asked specifically for art, but paying an artist is a valid suggestion.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

BovineFury posted:

It gets annoying every time I ever post something I'm working on to then be told to hire an artist.
hire a PR person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Jan posted:

I guess I can suggest:
e) Figure out a stylized artistic direction that you can pull off as a programmer

Think something like Geometry Wars, which is very stylized but could definitely be pulled off by a creative minded programmer. But then, if you had such a direction, I imagine you wouldn't need to post here in the first place. :v:

Is that really so different than b)? "Become an artist" vs. "Become an artist with low expectations"