Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
What is up with nameplates? Mine won't stay set for more than two missions before it disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Aphrodite posted:

I got the Duelist, and she's great.

Her melee locks and teleports on enemies.

Otoh, it's slow as gently caress. With the talent that restores 20% of shields on hit, the human vanguard can melee 3 times for every duelist melee.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

shadok posted:

What is up with nameplates? Mine won't stay set for more than two missions before it disappears.

It might be bugged, but also it seems to save the nameplate on a per-character basis.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Ambaire posted:

Otoh, it's slow as gently caress. With the talent that restores 20% of shields on hit, the human vanguard can melee 3 times for every duelist melee.

Yeah, I'm probably doing it wrong but I'm running a lance a lot spec on my duelist. Just spamming lance and my shotgun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think that someone on their design team forgot that the primary downside of Fortify (i.e. lost movement speed) is totally pointless with the new jetpack mobility.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

I think that someone on their design team forgot that the primary downside of Fortify (i.e. lost movement speed) is totally pointless with the new jetpack mobility.

Yeah I noticed that, which makes it even more annoying that if you get Revived you have to re-apply the power which can suck on toast if you're in the middle of crossfire.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Is there something in single player that improves multiplayer rewards? I'll be without internet for the first 12 days of next month so I'll be using the Apex app.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
get your omnitool out of the sights yo
http://i.imgur.com/Uhf5095.gifv

im not owned trip mine edition
http://i.imgur.com/CzjKSNR.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/qy8TQNL.gifv

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The character with Trip Mines in ME3MP was secretly broken as gently caress, not just because of the mines but also his melee attack was a crossbow that with the right build could basically hit harder than most guns

Can't wait to unlock that guy and do more trip mine spamming in this one

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Does combo damage seem really weak to anyone else? I haven't got my adepts that high yet, but a 4/4 ranked detonation (with passive a 30% damage bonus) barely takes half a mook's health.

My precious space magic... If they've turned this into a gun game, that's worse than all the bad animations in the world put together imo! :colbert:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So is every single MP game supposed to be laggy as hell and impossible to play? Cause that has been every single match for me. It seems fun but the rubber banding and other connection issues are just too much. I've only play 5 games but every single one was a mess. Its really hard to play when you can't even get around a box cause of all the rubber banding.

I've tried to host games to see if that fixes anything but no one ever seems to join my games. I've never had a problem with any other games so I don't think its on my end but who knows.

edit: on PC

Orv
May 4, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Does combo damage seem really weak to anyone else? I haven't got my adepts that high yet, but a 4/4 ranked detonation (with passive a 30% damage bonus) barely takes half a mook's health.

My precious space magic... If they've turned this into a gun game, that's worse than all the bad animations in the world put together imo! :colbert:

I wasn't super impressed with any of the human combos but Asari Adept tears apart reality every twenty seconds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Techsplosions are still great too, especially fire combos. As with the guns you just gotta keep in mind things aren't gonna be super until the powers are maxed out.

The range on Cryo explosions does seem less impressive than on fire ones tho

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Just like in ME 3, Combo damage scales with difficulty. I don't know the exact scaling in ME:A, but in ME 3 it was:

Normal/Bronze: x1.5
Hardcore/Silver: x2.25
Insanity/Gold: x3.375
Platinum: x4.3875

So if you're used to the Gold/Plat Combos, then they'll look real piddly in Bronze.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Add my name to the ps4 list.

PSN: NOMDEE

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Skippy McPants posted:

Just like in ME 3, Combo damage scales with difficulty. I don't know the exact scaling in ME:A, but in ME 3 it was:

So if you're used to the Gold/Plat Combos, then they'll look real piddly in Bronze.

But does that scale faster than health/shields?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I wish the game made it at all clear you shouldn't queue for a Silver Apex mission if you're brand new. Bonus points for it being a buggy join and hopping to custom rather than the Apex mission.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

shadok posted:

I miss the Quarians. And the Volus.

Kineticist really should have been a Volus.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've been opening basic packs and just got my first rank 10 weapon.

I've gotten 36 common weapons cards, 36 common character cards, and 15 common weapon mod cards.

Given that there are 5 common weapons and 12 common characters, I think this is pretty good evidence that the game rolls the type of item before rolling the specific item. I'm not sure how the rerolling works once you start maxing things out (maybe it starts the roll over, maybe it rerolls within that category).

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 26, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Also note that while there are way more common characters than weapons, the situation is inverted for the uncommons and rares. When you buy your basic packs you'll see your weapons cap well before your characters, but when you move on to advanced packs you'll see your characters maxed before your weapons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I know this, I think you're missing a point though. Absolute damage scales with difficulty, but relative damage stays the same because the enemy's health scales at the same rate. In other words, an x/y ranked detonation does exactly same damage to a mook's health bar no matter what the difficulty level.

In ME3 a mid ranked detonation would kill a mook outright, a max ranked one would overkill by quite a bit. On a shorter cooldown to boot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

How does your nova not have a cd? Ah the last level of it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 26, 2017

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

tooterfish posted:

I know this, I think you're missing a point though. Absolute damage scales with difficulty, but relative damage stays the same because the enemy's health scales at the same rate. In other words, an x/y ranked detonation does exactly same damage to a mook's health bar no matter what the difficulty level.

In ME3 a mid ranked detonation would kill a mook outright, a max ranked one would overkill by quite a bit. On a shorter cooldown to boot.
Mooks are just tougher in ME:A than they were in ME:3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

How does your nova not have a cd?

Nova 6b makes it cost shield instead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tenzarin posted:

How does your nova not have a cd?

The powerup for Nova that makes it run off of shields again also removes the cooldown

Goons posted:

:qq: Bring back the Volus and Quarians :qq:
They've outright said the Quarians were making an Ark as well, and that part of the reason for their delay was technically difficulties due to having a ton of other species with them- Drell, Hanar, probably Volus as well. Just hold your drat horses and wait for the DLC.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm only up to maxing out barriers on my vanguard, the class is just strong.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They've outright said the Quarians were making an Ark as well, and that part of the reason for their delay was technically difficulties due to having a ton of other species with them- Drell, Hanar, probably Volus as well. Just hold your drat horses and wait for the DLC.

You mean the next game right?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The powerup for Nova that makes it run off of shields again also removes the cooldown

Also, vanguard has a skill that regens barrier on melee, which is why he can seem to loop it with no cooldown.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

It's worse than that - they've turned it into a melee game. At least against outlaws my melee human vanguard consistently has the top score at the end. I have no idea how it does against Kett and Remnant because Observers are hard to punch and sync kills from completely silent Fiends sneaking up behind you are bullshit.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

precision posted:

It might be bugged, but also it seems to save the nameplate on a per-character basis.

Nameplates are bugged, but their not per-character. They get reset whenever you use boosters. :cripes:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The zalkin is a really unfortunate gun, isn't it.There's extremely noticeable lag between pulling the trigger and shooting, it's very vague when it's fully charged, it's not clear when you can click to start another charge (and if you click too early it won't start one at all so you waste time), you're encouraged to charge it up yet cannot sprint or switch camera shoulders while it is charged, it just feels mushy and awful all around.

The cyclone actually feels pretty neat once it starts shooting, it's just underpowered.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

g0del posted:

It's worse than that - they've turned it into a melee game. At least against outlaws my melee human vanguard consistently has the top score at the end. I have no idea how it does against Kett and Remnant because Observers are hard to punch and sync kills from completely silent Fiends sneaking up behind you are bullshit.

With a class that has stealth gird and a sniper rifle like a widow, you can just run around instagibbing the high value targets.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
While punching/headbutting things as a Vanguard is very satisfying and effective, I'll have to put in my 2 cents for the Human and Turian Soldier. The thing about these two classes is that the most important skill you have is the Munitions Training passive, especially the 4b (improved reload speed/accuracy/stability) and 6a (each shot makes target takes 2% extra damage up to a max of 24%). Then you max out Turbocharge next. The Turian Soldier gets Fortify, which makes him even better.

And then you carry a Charger and a Raptor and you calmly kill things from across the map. On Silver, it takes two Raptor reloads (with Turbocharge) for me to kill a Hydra or a Fiend, and mooks go down really fast. Getting consistent headshots is important, though, so if you're bad at aiming, this won't be the class for you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Didn't even think you could get a score this high on bronze.

Asari adept is so loving fun, I can't wait till I get the field mutations that give me more movement speed and shield restore.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The Charger is the best AR in the game.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Alteisen posted:

Didn't even think you could get a score this high on bronze.

Asari adept is so loving fun, I can't wait till I get the field mutations that give me more movement speed and shield restore.

I actually ended up respeccing into the damage boost instead of biotic wind, because she ends up meleeing a LOT, and biotic wind doesn't seem to help your jumpjetting.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So is every single MP game supposed to be laggy as hell and impossible to play? Cause that has been every single match for me. It seems fun but the rubber banding and other connection issues are just too much. I've only play 5 games but every single one was a mess. Its really hard to play when you can't even get around a box cause of all the rubber banding.

I've tried to host games to see if that fixes anything but no one ever seems to join my games. I've never had a problem with any other games so I don't think its on my end but who knows.

edit: on PC

It's P2P so if you lag when you join people and no one seems to join when you're the host, I'm sorry to say this but you're the problem. I'd google around to see if there's any settings you can fiddle with.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any suggestions so far on the most fun class? I have played infiltrator through the whole series so I went that way here too. I am not NOT having fun but I don't feel like the class takes advantage of the way the combat has changed in this game and the open world fighting. I can usually sit back and plink away but it is not as interactive as it felt in the first 3 games and feels kind of lame. I have not played multiplayer beyond one game but if the class is fun there too then that would be a bonus.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

rio posted:

Any suggestions so far on the most fun class? I have played infiltrator through the whole series so I went that way here too. I am not NOT having fun but I don't feel like the class takes advantage of the way the combat has changed in this game and the open world fighting. I can usually sit back and plink away but it is not as interactive as it felt in the first 3 games and feels kind of lame. I have not played multiplayer beyond one game but if the class is fun there too then that would be a bonus.

Asari Adept, or eventually the Krogan Gladiator which is the same thing in a Krispy Krogan shell.

Guns are mostly bad in mp, which is unfortunate and kills a lot of classes.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My favorite glitch so far: the match starts and I spawn in as a default human soldier with an Avenger and no powers instead of the class I actually had selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rio posted:

Because the game isn't about sitting back and plinking away, be as aggressive as enemies are, hell infils sticky nades do a TON of damage and you can roll with a shotgun to and it gets damage bonuses from your cloak.

• Locked thread