Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm the school teacher husband with a fortune 50 wife as a consultant

I know corporations are people now but still, marrying a fortune 50 is quite a catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

ohgodwhat posted:

I know corporations are people now but still, marrying a fortune 50 is quite a catch

please don't doxx me and my wife

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm the janitor and elevator technician couple pulling in half a mill combined.

He's referring to a specific guy who was using the overtime and seniority system at BART to make a killing on overtime. It looks like he loves to find these kind of random niche cases in order to say 'Look, this isn't a lot of money, this janitor can make it!' while basically ignoring how exceptional they are. I mean sure, there is always a chance that you will be the person to make it big and become a celebrity, but that doesn't mean that being an independent musician can be considered a high-paying job, it's much more likely you'll be one of the millions that just squeak by for years on local gigs and a collection of part-time work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Having to settle on a week's vacation to debt-laden Puerto Rico :qq:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Our priorities are a little different, but we do still manage to allocate all of it.

If anything their car payments seem a little low.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And only three times a year, that's not even once per season. Can't you see how these people with all the luxuries they could want and a maxed out 401k are just barely surviving?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We are fortunate to spend less than 1/3 of that on childcare, food is less than half of it, our total housing is less than a quarter of that, we spend a lot more than they do on cars and transport lol. We also spend vastly more on debt than they do, they're fortunate not to have student loans.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are fortunate to spend less than 1/3 of that on childcare, food is less than half of it, our total housing is less than a quarter of that, we spend a lot more than they do on cars and transport lol. We also spend vastly more on debt than they do, they're fortunate not to have student loans.

Guillotine.

Hey buddy how's it going?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Eat the rich...er people than myself.

So like if they get miserable 2% pay raises every year and pay off those student loans, keep the kids' costs stable, and don't buy a horse - that $7k leftover each year is going to be something like $140k each year midway through President Pence's 2nd term.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Do you think the $500,000/year couple would describe themselves as "wealthy" or "middle class"? :allears:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

It may be 40% marginal top, but there's no way it's 40% effective.

Nail Rat posted:

Holy hell I missed that. This guy doesn't understand how taxes work.

Droo posted:

Assuming they pay both NY and NYC tax that alone is about $45k (I'm not really sure if you pay both though). On top of that they pay about $105k in federal tax, plus another $9500 in employee medicare tax and $14500 in employee social security tax, so that adds up to $174k by my estimate, so about 35% effective.

I assume they came up with 40% in this example by ignoring about $90k in deductions for interest and state/local taxes.

Sounds more like you don't understand how AMT works. This hypothetical couple is pretty much in the sweet spot (right amount of income, high state/city taxes, lots of deductions) to get a really high AMT bill. Plus they also have a significant marriage penalty as two high-but-equal income earners.

Ashcans posted:

He's referring to a specific guy who was using the overtime and seniority system at BART to make a killing on overtime.

Or just flat out committing fraud: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-janitor-pay-270000-Powell-St-questions-10911932.php

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Not sure why people keep posting this.

The guy working seventeen hours took two and a half hours worth of breaks. Percentage wise thats comparable or lower than what most white collar workers take off on any given day. It seems completely reasonable unless you think blue collar workers don't deserve breaks and not at all fraud.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

pr0zac posted:

The guy working seventeen hours took two and a half hours worth of breaks. Percentage wise thats comparable or lower than what most white collar workers take off on any given day. It seems completely reasonable unless you think blue collar workers don't deserve breaks and not at all fraud.

Perhaps you read the anecdote that the train station wasn't spotless though :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pr0zac posted:

My main argument against this guy is that it's horrible mismanagement to require or even allow a single employee to work that much. They must be critically understaffed.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

WampaLord posted:

GWM: sell your horses to this guy:

"Fast cash"

This was awhile ago, but I found the perfect followup image.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Sounds more like you don't understand how AMT works. This hypothetical couple is pretty much in the sweet spot (right amount of income, high state/city taxes, lots of deductions) to get a really high AMT bill. Plus they also have a significant marriage penalty as two high-but-equal income earners.

As I already stated, my number included about $13k of AMT. And I didn't even include their charitable stuff before, so it's actually lower.

pre:
Salary 1 $250,000.00 
Salary 2	$250,000.00 

Husband 401K	($18,000.00)
Wife 401K	($18,000.00)

TOTAL REGULAR INCOME	$464,000.00 

TOTAL 15% INCOME	$0.00 

TOTAL ADJUSTMENTS	$0.00 

Husband Personal Deduction	$0.00 
Wife Personal Deduction	        $0.00 
Property Tax                	($20,000.00)
Mortgage Interest (estimate)	($50,000.00)
NY City Tax (estimate)	        ($45,000.00)
Charity	                ($18,000.00)
Kid 1 Deduction	        $0.00 
Kid 2 Deduction	        $0.00 

TOTAL DEDUCTIONS	($128,419.00)

Adjusted Gross Income	        $464,000.00 
Federal Taxable Income	        $335,581.00 
Total Investment Income	        $0.00 
Total Wage Income (medicare)	$500,000.00 

Federal Income Tax	        $86,154.73 
Business Social Security Tax	$0.00 
Business Medicare Tax	        $0.00 
Medicare Surtax	                $2,250.00 
Net Investment Income Tax	$0.00 
AMT Tax      	                $14,188.53 
Federal Tax I Owe	        $102,593.26 

AMT Income (to calc exemption)	$396,000.00 
AMT My Exemption	        $24,324.08 
AMT Taxable Income	        $371,675.92 
AMT Tax Amount	           $100,343.26 

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm the janitor and elevator technician couple pulling in half a mill combined.

So how much was elevator college anyway? 200k?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

oRenj9 posted:

So how much was elevator college anyway? 200k?

It can go up or down from there

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

Guillotine.

Hey buddy how's it going?

I'm gonna need you to buy a Golf R and then convince me to buy a Golf R, thanks!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

pr0zac posted:

Classism. Salaried workers in white-collar jobs with college degrees don't believe blue-collar employees in fields like maintenance or custodial work should outearn them even when they're working literal backbreaking hours.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
lol 2% annual raises. In the real world we have multi-year contracts with no inflation-protection which we basically accept without even knowing the compensation package lest the employer drop us for someone else.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Classism. Salaried workers in white-collar jobs with college degrees don't believe blue-collar employees in fields like maintenance or custodial work should outearn them even when they're working literal backbreaking hours.

Because nobody believes the guy was literally working 17 hours a day for 18 days in a row as he claimed.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Droo posted:

As I already stated, my number included about $13k of AMT. And I didn't even include their charitable stuff before, so it's actually lower.

Gotcha -- and thanks for showing the math. I don't think we actually disagree on significant issues here -- ~174k on 464k income (which is the right denominator, not 500k -- as the 36k in a traditional 401k hasn't been taxed yet) is ~38%, which is close enough to 40%.

I agree with your subsequent math except that the mortgage interest deduction is probably too large. It's actually tricky to arrive at reasonable numbers here (which goes back to the point that this whole thing is fake anyways). Either they have a massive downpayment (significantly more than 20%) or a really long amortization (> 30y) or unreasonably low interest rates to arrive at 60k annually (and that doesn't even factor in non-tax-deductible mortgage insurance). Something like 1.2M over 40y at 3.5% with mortgage insurance of 0.5% almost works, so lets go with that -- which gives 40k of mortgage interest, not 50k. This results in something like 107k federal tax + 22k FICA + 45k state/local taxes, which takes us back to your original number of 174k.

Note that in this same situation, a married couple who decides to rent and doesn't have charitable donations will have an average (not marginal) tax rate of just over 41%.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pig slut lisa posted:

Do you think the $500,000/year couple would describe themselves as "wealthy" or "middle class"? :allears:
"High working class, because we work hard for our money."

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sirotan posted:

Having to settle on a week's vacation to debt-laden Puerto Rico :qq:

So basic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm gonna need you to buy a Golf R and then convince me to buy a Golf R, thanks!

I already have a small, practical, 2 door, European hatchback.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
They should be getting around $4K in credit card reward points alone in addition to their FF miles and hotel, so they don't have to slum it in Puerto Rico.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It can go up or down from there

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

pig slut lisa posted:

We are all members of the proletariat comrade as we do not control the means of production! :ussr:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jack2142 posted:

We are all members of the proletariat comrade as we do not control the means of production! :ussr:

That's another good one: "We're part of the 99%, just like you :)"

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

monster on a stick posted:

Because nobody believes the guy was literally working 17 hours a day for 18 days in a row as he claimed.

Why not? Do people believe Marissa Mayer when she claimed similar things?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Because CEOs don't actually work, unlike janitors, so they can claim that 17 hours is doable because it takes no effort to do their jobs.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

pr0zac posted:

No, I do not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do we feel about doctors or long-haul truckers?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Surely everyone has seen this little gem

note how they count gym and other unspecified activities as "working", also lunch as "business lunches" to make up that supposed 55 hour work week (it's 35 hrs w/o it, and 30 hours if you don't count lunch)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about doctors or long-haul truckers?

Neither of those professions work that many hours (17 hours 18 days in a row), and it is in fact illegal under federal regulations for truckers to do that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I wonder if I could make any of those fly at my current job.

"Boss, I'd love to do that project for you, but I am way behind on my 20 hours a week of gym, travel, and personal appointments. You're gonna have to get Todd to do it."

"Yes, I was on lunch 2 hours ago, but this is business lunch."

"Please don't disturb me. I have 2 hours of phone calls to make and then I have 2 hours of conference calls. No, that is not 'basically just 4 hours on the phone.' Get out of my office Todd."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 26, 2017

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lousy work ethic.. let me tell you about my 7-8 daily hours of Business Sleep

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Some of my best ideas come to me in the shower, so I count showering as work time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

FrozenVent posted:

Some of my best ideas come to me in the shower, so I count showering as work time.

:same:

• Locked thread