Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

jBrereton posted:

yeah this sounds more or less like the supergrass trials lol

what is Supergrass it sounds like a recreational pot store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
reince priebus isnt the 45th chief of staff. what a fockin twot.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

panera spermia

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

mormonpartyboat posted:

im listenign to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AplhZ3Dpcwc

~And I'm a goddamn fool, but then again so are you
And the lion's roar, the lion's roar
Has me seeking out and searching for you
And I never really knew what to do~

this ain't grandmarock

but it's nice

these ladies will probably be cool grandmas someday in the future, if the future happens

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

panera spermia

new panera bread special soundin' good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Squizzle posted:

panera spermia
Stale, overpriced sperm? I didn't know Donald Trump was a donor.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Trump did a treason y'all

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sojenus posted:

i remember making my family watch a short film someone made of the meat story and they all hated it

bunch of philistines, i'll show them and vote for the candidate that's only qualification is being made of meat like other humans

was it like toy story but with steaks

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
What are your favorite SciFi books

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Jazerus posted:

anyway most people who speculate about alternative biochemistries make huuuuuge assumptions in areas that aren't their primary area of expertise and so very few sources on this subject, even among journal articles and stuff, are very good/accurate

there are several elements that behave "enough like carbon" at a small scale to be really tempting to speculate about but all of them have very serious issues when you start thinking about how large molecule analogues like proteins and nucleic acids would work (they wouldn't)

Dick Dorkins speculates about Silica based life. But I think he's betting on any intelligent life being carbon based. And definitely coming into existence through natural selection/evolution.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Certainly
-
Silicon
Pairing
Allows
Mystery

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scent of Worf posted:

Anything by Cordwainer Smith

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

lol there was one of those pathetic trump-supporter rallies AND a pizzagate rally by each other in downtown DC today, and one of the pizzagate idiots was arrested for stealing a microphone from the trump rally

i'm not sure if he thought the mic would make his voice loud by itself but pizzagate people are so loving stupid that, like, probably

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

You should read Solaris

Epic High Five posted:

read The Forever War

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

Should be required reading in HS imo

Also while high

I pictured sleek humanoid robots discussing this

But then who built the robots 🤔

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
me at my posting desk waiting to find out about flynn:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

i choose both

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Solarin posted:

cumshitter serious posts about money

lol

my grams was like 95 before she died but shed always turn on JIM CRAMERS MAD MONEY and make us all shut up so she could turn on the radio and hear her local AM station give the closing numbers for the S&P and the DJIA because she knew the exact moment they closed off on their financial program

when is tarted working at my current job and figured out i could look up CUSIPs (bond identification numbers) on our bloomberg terminals i would look them up for her and give her the "isndie" scoop on what money guys in manhattan thought of these bonds and poo poo

"Say it again Cumshitter, slower and deeper," shed say

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

PostNouveau posted:

But it's legal when presidents did it, right?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/JudgeJeanine/status/845807926413443072

:getin:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oliwan posted:

Like Dell’Elce, Lent said Trump was not to blame for the failure of the healthcare bill.

“He may be the best negotiator there is,” Lent said. “But he has to just rely on his own party and deal with the Freedom Caucus and all of the hardcore conservatives.

“Sometimes you have to meet in the middle, right of center. The Freedom Caucus should be able to do that. Paul Ryan’s healthcare plan may not have been the best healthcare plan there was but it was still better than Obamacare. Everyone should have met in the middle of right of center.”

🤔

again won't happen but lmao if the gop become the reach-across-the-isle party

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

you be the judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPdhsP8XjI

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PostNouveau posted:

ya whatever what about the piss tape

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rushi posted:

me at my posting desk waiting to find out about flynn:

:3:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
like i don't really wanna compare every goddamn female folk artist to joanna newsom forever, but parts of this album sound a lot like more trad newsom

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

cumshitter posted:

lol

my grams was like 95 before she died but shed always turn on JIM CRAMERS MAD MONEY and make us all shut up so she could turn on the radio and hear her local AM station give the closing numbers for the S&P and the DJIA because she knew the exact moment they closed off on their financial program

when is tarted working at my current job and figured out i could look up CUSIPs (bond identification numbers) on our bloomberg terminals i would look them up for her and give her the "isndie" scoop on what money guys in manhattan thought of these bonds and poo poo

"Say it again Cumshitter, slower and deeper," shed say

those CUSIPs........are they sheer???

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

I forget the exact reasoning but some Big Science Man spoke about this at length and it has something to do with silicon not playing as nicely as a liquid as carbon does. Requires much more extreme and novel conditions to be something that flows and could carry nutrition throughout the body.

So anything silicon-based would probably be something without blood and totally alien to us, as in we wouldn't even recognize it as living unless we saw it moving which isn't a for-sure thing that it even would be mobile, or would have a blood analogue but we'd never see it because it can only live on a planet hotter than Mercury

thats cool af

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Scent of Worf posted:

i'm not super into scifi but i'm reading the hyperion series right now and it's pretty cool and good. the expanse series is kind of hilariously neckbeardy, but it's a good crazy story.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Holy gently caress what an insufferable cadence

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
does daycrew watch the view

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Scent of Worf posted:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Scent of Worf posted:

artofthedeal.jpg

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Scent of Worf posted:

I hear GRRM's Wildcards are fantastic.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

those CUSIPs........are they sheer???

naked and glistening like they came out of a still moonlit pond after skinhn
yd ipping

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003