Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Reading comprehension. Do you have it?

Yes I do. You said that in 1st ed Fighters would have a ton of followers from being level 9 and that coming in with that army makes the thing easier.

I am just saying there is still an army in the place for use. And despite the 1st ed army thing, Lots of people still view that room as a meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Reading comprehension. Do you have it?

As I mentioned earlier, he hasn't had it for years

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes I do. You said that in 1st ed Fighters would have a ton of followers from being level 9 and that coming in with that army makes the thing easier.

I am just saying there is still an army in the place for use. And despite the 1st ed army thing, Lots of people still view that room as a meat grinder.

Have you ever played 1st ed? Did you run it by the book? Did you play through this module with 9 PCs? Have you ever opened a 1st ed book? Have you ever even looked at the original module?

I've run that module 3 times and played through it twice. In AD&D. I can loving guarantee you that if you go in there with 4 PCs of level 7-11 (or is it 8-12, you edited your post after I quoted it, and neither range is mentioned in the original), you can't win that fight even if you recruit every recruitable monster and prisoner, but if you go in prepared with 9+ PCs and their followers, you can kick the door in and have a tough, winnable fight.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Have you ever played 1st ed? Did you run it by the book? Did you play through this module with 9 PCs? Have you ever opened a 1st ed book? Have you ever even looked at the original module?

No, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes.

I am not challenging anything you said. From looking details up the room seems to just be fairly infamous. And I was just adding that even if the PC's don't bring an army to the Steading there is an army they can still use inside it.

Arivia posted:

As I mentioned earlier, he hasn't had it for years

And you have done nothing but bitch for almost 3 years in this thread.

AlphaDog posted:

I've run that module 3 times and played through it twice. In AD&D. I can loving guarantee you that if you go in there with 4 PCs of level 7-11 (or is it 8-12, you edited your post after I quoted it, and neither range is mentioned in the original), you can't win that fight even if you recruit every recruitable monster and prisoner, but if you go in prepared with 9+ PCs and their followers, you can kick the door in and have a tough, winnable fight.

I am just repeating what other people said and I corrected my post.

The 8-12 comes from the cover

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 26, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

No, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes.

Five questions and six answers. Reading comprehension.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am not challenging anything you said.

You realise that I can scroll back up and read what you previously wrote, right?

e: The orignal module's cover looks like this:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Arivia and MonsterEnvy is like an unstoppable object meeting an immovable force.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Five questions and six answers. Reading comprehension.

You realise that I can scroll back up and read what you previously wrote, right?

I laughed I must admit. Ignore that last yes.

I know you can read what I said. And I was not trying to challenge you.

I have not played through the steading. I repeated other peoples statements about it's danger.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 26, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know you can read what I said. And I was not trying to challenge you.

Really? Then why are you still trying to push this stupid loving point?

MonsterEnvy posted:

That fight is pretty unwinnable in the 1st ed as well. Like unless the party is stupid no one is going to take on that room with out some sort of triumph card.

And what's a triumph card?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

And what's a triumph card?

Because you keep pushing back.

Lots of numbers or a powerful spell or ability.

Going to try and put everything out here at once. You complained that the encounter is too hard in 5e. I said that the solution is to gain the aid of the Orcs and that this situation was probably pretty tough in 1e as well. You having played through this before said that its not and perfectly doable. Everything after this was me trying to say. Ok, other people still say this room is really dangerous. I have not played though the 1st ed version myself. But I will take your word for it. I had missed that fighters get a ton of followers in 1e combined with other people talking about the rooms danger made me think the room was near impossible without the aid of the Orcs.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 26, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

And you have done nothing but bitch for almost 3 years in this thread.

In case you've forgotten, this forum doesn't exactly like 5e, the worst edition of D&D by far.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
trump card

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

In case you've forgotten, this forum doesn't exactly like 5e, the worst edition of D&D by far.

This is not true. It's mainly just you. I like it the most of the editions I have played (2e, 3e and 4e) But you are never going to change and I don't want to fight with you about this right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not true. It's just mainly just you. I like it the most of the editions I have played (2e, 3e and 4e) But you are never going to change and I don't want to fight with you about this right now.

Right, go ahead and stick your fingers in your ears. Isn't "Lalalalala I can't hear you getting old" after so long at this point?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Right, go ahead and stick your fingers in your ears. Isn't "Lalalalala I can't hear you getting old" after so long at this point?

The thread tends to be fine until you come in to poo poo it up. Are you so bitter about a loving game that you can't just let other people enjoy it.

Cause that seems to be the only reason you come here. You just keep coming here and starting arguments cause of some stupid grudge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

The thread tends to be fine until you come in to poo poo it up. Are you so bitter about a loving game that you can't just let other people enjoy it.

Cause that seems to be the only reason you come here. You just keep coming here and starting arguments cause of some stupid grudge.

You seem to be the bitter one with a grudge there, son.

I like talking about D&D, and the Forgotten Realms, and seeing new products. Sadly, the new products for 5e have been really, really bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what the hell are youse even arguing about

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

what the hell are youse even arguing about

MonsterEnvy gets really upset when people say 5e has problems or is bad, same as usual.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
e: don't touch the poo

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

MonsterEnvy gets really upset when people say 5e has problems or is bad, same as usual.

No I am tried of you harassing me.

While also complaining about books you don't read. I don't care if you don't like 5e, I disagree with most of points. But I don't care. I am currently mad about being harassed almost right after I started posting in the thread.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: There have been 5 days 3 minutes since the last pointless argument went on for too long

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So ... uhhhh ... how about adding an Escalation Die to 5e's combat, guys? Guys?

Also convert the saving throws to 12+modifiers so that attacker->defender rolls are consistent and you can apply the Escalation Die to the spell DCs. Yeah?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Noxin of Shame posted:

D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: There have been 5 days 3 minutes since the last pointless argument went on for too long

I hate that this is a regular thing. (The pointless arguments about nothing not your post it was fine)
Going to go to bed. If anyone does have questions or requests about Yawning Portal I will answer them tomorrow.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

While also complaining about books you don't read. I don't care if you don't like 5e, I disagree with most of points. But I don't care. I am currently mad about being harassed almost right after I started posting in the thread.

It's impressive how much you care.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hate that this is a regular thing. (The pointless arguments about nothing not your post it was fine)

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was not trying to challenge you.

AlphaDog posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

:ironicat:

You really hate it? Stop pointlessly arguing every slight loving criticism then. I point out that that one fight issn't appropriate in 5th ed, then you take it personally to the point where you're arguing while knowing you're wrong just because to stop would be to admit that hey, this one thing isn't perfect.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dude I'm calling you out for your consistently bad posting. That's not harassing you. If you don't want people to call you out for being a bad poster, then improve your posting. You've been a laughingstock of the thread for as long as you've been posting in it. It's up to you to fix that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are you guys calling him a bad poster instead of refuting his arguments?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Why are you guys calling him a bad poster instead of refuting his arguments?

We tried that four years ago. He never actually responds to criticism.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol this argument is so dumb and arguing via "this is what the thread is" when you're the only one making it that way is even dumber. I didn't post in this forum until 3 months ago and it took about a week to find the angriest nerd huffing and puffing over throwaway fluff.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So ... uhhhh ... how about adding an Escalation Die to 5e's combat, guys? Guys?

Also convert the saving throws to 12+modifiers so that attacker->defender rolls are consistent and you can apply the Escalation Die to the spell DCs. Yeah?

do you consistently have a problem with 5e combats running too long? if not, it's a solution in search of a problem

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

We tried that four years ago. He never actually responds to criticism.

Never mind screw going to bed while you still insult me.

You will never let anything go. Nothing. You and Alpha Dog will never let anything go due to stupid arguments I made when I was younger. Undermining me at every opportunity because I made some stupid posts years ago and have difficulty putting out all my thoughts out at once.

I have made stupid comments and mistakes about things. Is that what you want to hear from me? Because I have and likely will in the future as well. As well as the fact I have difficulty getting my thoughts and opinions to come through text so that will make misunderstandings happen.

Now can we move on.

Edit:Hell I needed to edit this post a few times so I could try and correct my thoughts.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 26, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
post content, monsterenvy, it was more interesting

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

post content, monsterenvy, it was more interesting

Sure would you like anything.

I am willing to cheat and post one of the Dungeons in full.

Edit: Also we have confirmation that the next D&D Adventure appears to be about the Ring of Winter.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Content:

Conspiratiorist posted:

What's the rest of your party, for context?

The rest of the party was me, a bard of lore focused on support and skills, and an Old One Tome Warlock with a penchant for control mainly using hunger of Hadar and Forceful Blast. We have just gained an Ancients paladin but we haven't really got to see how they fit in yet.

I have just now gained haste and used it to cannonball the barbarian directly through what I think was meant to be a solo encounter, which we always figured was going to be good synergy, but the bigger issue has been going on for two levels and previously I just tossed him an inspiration die to use to patch up the times when his constant advantage didn't quite cancel out the -5.

Meanwhile, I can't figure out how barbarians are ever supposed to deal decent damage without taking the feat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caphi posted:

Meanwhile, I can't figure out how barbarians are ever supposed to deal decent damage without taking the feat.

Hmm that is a bit of a problem with Barbs. Frenzy seems to be the best way but it comes down with those annoying downsides. (I reduced them personally.) Brutal Critical is unreliable and Rage only gives so much extra damage. Barbs are at least good at taking hits no matter the situation.

Another idea to ramp up their damage at a later point in their leveling is to maybe give them the brute ability as a class features. At like level 11 or so. (Brute makes it so that a creature gains another damage die on there attacks. So the greataxe would ramp up to a 2d12 instead of a 1d12)

Though at least they are still good tanks.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 26, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Decided to take a break and roll up an experimental character (3d6, as I'm wont to do) and got 16, 10, 16, 17, 13, 9.

Now I'm (only mildly) depressed I can never use him because no one will ever believe I rolled that.

:negative:

Maybe I'll make him an NPC my players run across who they'll have to fight; just this crazy old alchemist slinging potions left and right.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You will never let anything go. Nothing. You and Alpha Dog will never let anything go due to stupid arguments I made when I was younger. Undermining me at every opportunity because I made some stupid posts years ago and have difficulty putting out all my thoughts out at once.

Instead of going through whatever thought process leads you to this weird conclusion, try reading what's written on the screen in front of you. I was trying to engage with the content you posted because I would like to hear more about this update to one of my favorite old adventure series. From what you posted, it sounds like they've ported a lot of it straight over and I'm not sure how that's gonna work in 5th ed.

Specifically, I'd like to know how it conveys to the DM and players that "recruit the slaves and prisoners" is how you're supposed to go about it, what the combat is supposed to look like in the great hall, and how the DM is meant to handle whatever it ends up being. Like, I know how I'd do it in AD&D, but I have no idea, not having the new module, how many slaves you're supposed to free and how you're supposed to run them once they're fighting alongside the PCs. How many orcs and prisoners can you even recruit in this version? If it's more than a handful, how are you supposed to run that in a way that doesn't suck?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Instead of going through whatever thought process leads you to this weird conclusion, try reading what's written on the screen in front of you. I was trying to engage with the content you posted because I would like to hear more about this update to one of my favorite old adventure series. From what you posted, it sounds like they've ported a lot of it straight over and I'm not sure how that's gonna work in 5th ed.

Specifically, I'd like to know how it conveys to the DM and players that "recruit the slaves and prisoners" is how you're supposed to go about it, what the combat is supposed to look like in the great hall, and how the DM is meant to handle whatever it ends up being. Like, I know how I'd do it in AD&D, but I have no idea, not having the new module, how many slaves you're supposed to free and how you're supposed to run them once they're fighting alongside the PCs. How many orcs and prisoners can you even recruit in this version? If it's more than a handful, how are you supposed to run that in a way that doesn't suck?

Ok thank you. This is much better and more understandable. In this version. Most of the Orcs are non combatant commoners. While there are a lot of them that can fight. It will never go to the almost 200 or so orc army you could make in the original. The Giants move around a lot so waiting for enough of them to leave the hall is a solution as well.

The first page brings up the great hall as something the party probably won't be able to handle.

Edit: I am also sorry for over reacting and getting into the fight with you.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 26, 2017

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone used myconoids in a campaign? I introduced them to my players during the preamble to a dwarven mine and they got a big kick out of them. Their usual MO of provoking fights didn't work on a bunch of fungi so they were thrown way out of their comfort zone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone used myconoids in a campaign? I introduced them to my players during the preamble to a dwarven mine and they got a big kick out of them. Their usual MO of provoking fights didn't work on a bunch of fungi so they were thrown way out of their comfort zone.

I used the Out of the Abyss Myconid village. The players were fond of the mushroom folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Haven't had the chance to employ myconids in my current campaign yet, but I'm hoping in a few sessions to reintroduce a retooled encounter I threw at a couple of my friends back when I was using Microlite. Microlite doesn't feature myconids in its monster roster (that I'm aware of), so I ended up bomebrewing a giant lumbering mushroom whose spores could reanimate corpses in its service, and gave him a few zombies as servants (with various fungi growing out of their orifices, of course), and a few lil' baby myconids who were harmless until attacked, at which point they secreted poisonous spores. It ended up becoming a really memorable encounter, so I'm hoping I can recapture that lightning in a bottle with a different system (and different friends).

I've been trying to throw less common monsters at my guys, to which end Volo's Guide (which I broke down and bought) has been pretty useful.