Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thronde posted:

In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

I really hate that they force you to use it.
I almost got orders cancelled because between when I put them in and when the funding got pushed, my GTCC expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I really hate that they force you to use it.
I almost got orders cancelled because between when I put them in and when the funding got pushed, my GTCC expired.

The Rewards Points for TAD scam used to be totally great.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
DTS is fine by me, it's the fact I'm required to get a GTC to go to a school required for my billet. Like, what the gently caress? Just pay for the poo poo and send me. I don't understand why there needs to be an interest earning account tied to this costing the military more for the sake of accountability or whatever bullshit excuse they want to use.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I almost forget I had to pay my gtc off and they are still auditing my c school.

They loving owe me 3k still.

All I used the card for was my room and flight.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think the worst GTCC thing is with rental cars. I'm up on AT in the Seattle area now, and the rental car company told me "any tolls you incur will be billed to the card on file about 45 days after you return the car." So, worst case is that I liquidate my travel claim, split disbursement to the GTCC, get my 30-days-later CYA statement saying "0 balance" on it, and three months later be on the 90-day delinquent list for $8 in tolls.

Solution: don't go over any toll bridges, I guess.

Also, my GTCC expired at the beginning of the month and they sent it to my old address, even though I'd updated my address on Citi's website (in October, even). I got to play "guess the new expiry" on the phone with SATO on Friday before flying out on Saturday. Good times.

While we're bitching about DTS, we had a guy with funded tickets and hotel get CANXd from his AT because he didn't have a DTS profile. His orders got approved and everything, and he just called the SATO number on Friday and got everything set up. Pretty studious for an E3 about two months out of boot. He comes to Drill on Saturday (leaving for AT on Sunday) to have the rug pulled out from under him. I tried to reassure him that everything would be fine and he'd just do a paper travel claim once he got back, but it was not to be. Had to call his job and cancel his time off, everything. He's fairly pissed at the Navy now. I can't say I blame him much, either. The whole stick-in-rear end attitude about all of this and the complete unwillingness to perform the alternate procedure just because "it's more paperwork" really puts a bad taste in my mouth, and a bad shine on the Navy in the eyes of new sailors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think the worst GTCC thing is with rental cars. I'm up on AT in the Seattle area now, and the rental car company told me "any tolls you incur will be billed to the card on file about 45 days after you return the car." So, worst case is that I liquidate my travel claim, split disbursement to the GTCC, get my 30-days-later CYA statement saying "0 balance" on it, and three months later be on the 90-day delinquent list for $8 in tolls.

Solution: don't go over any toll bridges, I guess.

Also, my GTCC expired at the beginning of the month and they sent it to my old address, even though I'd updated my address on Citi's website (in October, even). I got to play "guess the new expiry" on the phone with SATO on Friday before flying out on Saturday. Good times.

While we're bitching about DTS, we had a guy with funded tickets and hotel get CANXd from his AT because he didn't have a DTS profile. His orders got approved and everything, and he just called the SATO number on Friday and got everything set up. Pretty studious for an E3 about two months out of boot. He comes to Drill on Saturday (leaving for AT on Sunday) to have the rug pulled out from under him. I tried to reassure him that everything would be fine and he'd just do a paper travel claim once he got back, but it was not to be. Had to call his job and cancel his time off, everything. He's fairly pissed at the Navy now. I can't say I blame him much, either. The whole stick-in-rear end attitude about all of this and the complete unwillingness to perform the alternate procedure just because "it's more paperwork" really puts a bad taste in my mouth, and a bad shine on the Navy in the eyes of new sailors.

Where is the AT? I'm up in Port Orchard burning brush and drinking beers.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
less than 3 months until terminal. the navy was ok, I'm very much looking forward to not being in it tho

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

less than 3 months until terminal. the navy was ok, I'm very much looking forward to not being in it tho

Fine quit. I guess I'll just keep all this bitterness for myself then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laranzu posted:

So much of my DTS experience is wrapped up with my opinions of the travel claim approver civilian.

This individual was literally the size of the hallways and if she decided she didn't like you, your claim was hosed. Forever.

It's amazing how many of these people exist.

Thronde posted:

DTS is fine by me, it's the fact I'm required to get a GTC to go to a school required for my billet. Like, what the gently caress? Just pay for the poo poo and send me. I don't understand why there needs to be an interest earning account tied to this costing the military more for the sake of accountability or whatever bullshit excuse they want to use.

Because now the military doesn't have to pay interest when Pvt Fucknuts doesn't file his voucher within the 5 day requirement.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Fine quit. I guess I'll just keep all this bitterness for myself then.

Yeaterday the ctn detaler and community manager visted. Once again we have been assured there is no ion retention problem. I also signed a job offer yesterday.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Yeaterday the ctn detaler and community manager visted. Once again we have been assured there is no ion retention problem. I also signed a job offer yesterday.

You mean the retention problem the civilians get incentives for?

Not that one.

Side note: The CTN detailer was surprisingly cordial when I emailed her regarding how I need to completely gently caress up my detailing timeline to interview for an assignment.

I'm expecting to get proper hosed because a detailer never says "no prob"

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They're actually adding special duty pay to the ion nec (one day). The bigger problem I've found among my peers is no one wants to move to a new state to do the same job.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gotta rant.

So when did the Navy completely bury its collective head up it's rear end? Or is this a command thing? Checked in 01Mar, was told barracks would have space for my e5 rear end.1 hour out, guess what I need to stay at the Navy Lodge and be reimbursed. Ok. Rush house hunting leave so I'm not destroying my budget paying for the Lodge. Now my move isn't scheduled and my wife is in last command waiting to pack out. But I'm supposed to go to VA for a school I don't actually need on the 2nd. Except I'm not going to school/am going to school back and forth for the last week.

Long story shortened, holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. Seriously, guess I'll learn to last minute rush everything because that seems to be the command loving motto.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You made it to E-5 without realizing the Navy is a mismanaged shitshow?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

M_Gargantua posted:

You made it to E-5 without realizing the Navy is a mismanaged shitshow?

It really sets in at the E-5 level, then you become an E-6 and just kinda give up and accept fate.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

While prowling the bars last night,I met an admittedly very shapely nurse who had worked at Balboa, and who insisted to me that, because Balboa is only minor league terrible, all VA medicine is actually fine. I laughed until my whiskey sour came out of my nose.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
VA outcomes are actually better than civilian care.

So... She was right.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
How big of a deal is it if PSD gets my awards wrong on my DD214? I can't find the paperwork for some of the poo poo I've gotten.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Cool fact you can realize the Navy is run terrible as an E-4 also, or even lower depending on your commitment to being on the wrong end of a happiness transfer at all times

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

How big of a deal is it if PSD gets my awards wrong on my DD214? I can't find the paperwork for some of the poo poo I've gotten.

Depends; is a NAM or does it have to do with an award for serving in a combat zone? Can make a difference sometime down the road.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

some kid with a Confederate flag up in his barracks room is watching Dragon Ball Z. ok dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

some kid with a Confederate flag up in his barracks room is watching Dragon Ball Z. ok dude.

Moments when hazing is appropriate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Barracks doors are of low quality and easy for him to have 'accidentally' left open, only for the BPO to discover, after a complaint about the smell, poo poo smeared all over the flag and wall.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Five years down in November, reupping for another four next month. That's all I wanted to say.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Constantine XI posted:

Five years down in November, reupping for another four next month. That's all I wanted to say.

Condolences

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God the flag isn't racist guys it's just a battle flag learn your history y'all ignorant

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

that kind of bullshit more than flies in the Seabees. this isn't exactly the most progressive minded community

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Constantine XI posted:

No. Stop. Don't. (I'm at ten. Not getting out til 2020 at the earliest)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

No. Stop. Don't. (I'm at ten. Not getting out til 2020 at the earliest)

Your rear end is done, once you're over the 10 year hill dehumanize yourself and face yourself to retirement.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Your rear end is done, once you're over the 10 year hill dehumanize yourself and face yourself to retirement.

Not necessarily. I got out at ten, so did a dozen or so people at my last command. I've known a few people who got out at 12-14 also. Now obviously getting out at 12 is a lot different than 10, but a lot of people go to shore to set up for a civilian job.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

LingcodKilla posted:

Don't fret! Join the reserves and they are looking for e5-7 ITs to fill some mobs to Afghanistan!

gently caress that, worst recruitment spiel ever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

gently caress that, worst recruitment spiel ever.

And yet it will still find some suckers.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Yeah but my job now is exceptionally marketable to the point that I can make enough per month getting out to offset a retirement payment.

Couldn't do that with the job years 1-7. Will work the math in 2020. Also depends on where I land for that tour.

Never not get out if that's what you want to do!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

God the flag isn't racist guys it's just a battle flag learn your history y'all ignorant

The appropriate response to this is that it's the battle flag of an enemy of the United States, traitor.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Godholio posted:

The appropriate response to this is that it's the battle flag of an enemy of the United States, traitor.

Maybe you can hang the rebel flag and tell ppl it's upside down out of disrespect for the confederacy...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I choose to believe that this is a troll

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Boon posted:

I choose to believe that this is a troll

No it's just the response Mil dudes give you when you call them out on that dumb flag

GOD JUST CAUSE THE KKK USED IT ONCE DOESNT MEAN ITS RACIST

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

No it's just the response Mil dudes give you when you call them out on that dumb flag

GOD JUST CAUSE THE KKK USED IT ONCE DOESNT MEAN ITS RACIST

I got a black seabee buddy who wears his buckle proudly.

The boy ain't right.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Is it common to get a random call out of the blue from a reserve recruiter? I got out in 2012 after five years of active duty and haven't been contacted once until today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think this fits with the current discussion. Some dude I know from the Navy practices Norse Heathenism, like, unironically