Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

There are crocs stores? like the shoes with hoes in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

There are crocs stores? like the shoes with hoes in them?

You're thinking of an Uggs store.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

oldskool posted:

You're thinking of an Uggs store.

:drat:

Today I got to put away a 350 piece order by myself because one store can't get someone to help, or even to get the store ready for the delivery (I follow the truck, so I can't be there to do it). They consistently fail to have a second available, and it sucks so much.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Faerunner posted:

What the gently caress, man. Our store has like 3 employees who care enough to clean out the fridges, and half the time it doesn't even get cleaned out when they say it will because ain't nobody got time for that. We're all ostensibly grown adults; why does 1 person have to clean up after all 100+ employees?

Somebody at your store is not busy enough if they have time to check the fridge every day.

It's not just someone deciding the fridge needs to be cleaned out and doing it way too often- store manager declared that they specifically needed to be cleaned each day, there's a few people assigned to it by management. It is now a specific part of their job to do this. It was in response to the admittedly real issue of way too many people just leaving tons of poo poo in there until it turned into unrecognizable mush, but is definitely an overreaction.

Unfortunately nobody seems to know who exactly did it yesterday so I couldn't find them and gripe (plus I only found out about it after they would have gone home)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Pryor on Fire posted:

"Brick and mortar isn't going anywhere"

"The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia — the next two countries with the highest retail space per capita"

Why do you keep posting in this thread? What are you trying to bring to a thread full of unhappy retail workers that are already trying to get out and one weirdly upbeat australian

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yo I'm pretty sure any Kmarts that are still open are there solely by mistake. Apparently there was one like twenty miles from me and I had no idea! (It closed recently, apparently our nearby store hired a few people off of it)

Like I just picture someone at their corporate being utterly mystified that these keep popping up, like Charlie trying to deliver the mail.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
There are still Radioshacks open?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

The corporate owner of Sears and Kmart said on Tuesday that there was “substantial doubt” that it could continue operating, as brick-and-mortar stores continue to face challenges in an e-commerce world.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the corporate owner, Sears Holdings Corporation, cited its efforts to cut costs, sell property, tap new funding sources and make other moves to stanch the flow of red ink. Still, it reported a $2.2 billion loss for last year and said it had to use money from its investments and financing activities to fund operations.

“Our historical operating results indicate substantial doubt exists related to the company’s ability to continue as a going concern

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Sears treats their employees like dog poo poo on the CEO's shoe. I'm actually more surprised that they're not higher on the list than anything else. Their only leverage over my store's appliance section is better in-stock selection to take home today, and the Kenmore brand, which has apparently done nothing great to set it apart from competitors' branding. They sold off Craftsman (and it's declined in quality lately anyway), and that was the only other notable thing they ever carried.

Meanwhile my company/store keeps posting MASSIVE gains year over year. Stock prices are up, employee benefits are pretty good, and they opened a handful of new stores last year including some in pretty remote areas - a move that wouldn't go over well with shareholders if the company were struggling.

Sure, a lot of generalist "we just kind of sell poo poo you can find anywhere else" stores are dying... but the niche product businesses just keep growing. Ulta has opened like 100 stores a year for the last several years, and they're not the only ones. Dollar stores and other bargain shops are coming up all over the drat place.

Prepare yourselves. One day we will all work for Dollar Tree, the Last Brick and Mortar Store.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sears were loving morons with the internet. They could have been amazon just by putting up their 1000 page catalog and didn't.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pryor on Fire posted:

You keep acting like these are all these 'gotcha's or some poo poo but every store you've posted about so far has been failing for years. Radioshack and sears? loving Sears is your example? Sears has been getting hosed for years by a stupid rear end CEO and everybody is surprised radioshack even exists anymore.

Let me know when walmart starts going out of business and you'll have a point.

e: and gently caress, sears is actually a funny example because they aren't even famous because of their brick and mortar. They hit it big because of their sears catalog; the precursor to online shopping.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Faerunner posted:

Sears treats their employees like dog poo poo on the CEO's shoe. I'm actually more surprised that they're not higher on the list than anything else. Their only leverage over my store's appliance section is better in-stock selection to take home today, and the Kenmore brand, which has apparently done nothing great to set it apart from competitors' branding. They sold off Craftsman (and it's declined in quality lately anyway), and that was the only other notable thing they ever

Kenmore ised.ro be a great bramd. Back in about 2003 or 2004 I was delivering sears appliances and sometimes the ones we were replacing were SUPER old Kenmore. One old codger had us replacing the washer and dryer he bought for his wife as a gift when she brought thier 4th son home from the hospital... in 1953. They still worked to but he had decided it was finally time to upgrade to one of them newfangled front loaders his wife had been wanting.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
After automation kills every job, after the last drop of wealth has been wrung from the proletariat, the workers will have nothing to labor for save the blood of the ruling class. :thermidor:

It'll be the only thing they won't build a robot to do.

Faerunner posted:

Sure, a lot of generalist "we just kind of sell poo poo you can find anywhere else" stores are dying... but the niche product businesses just keep growing. Ulta has opened like 100 stores a year for the last several years, and they're not the only ones. Dollar stores and other bargain shops are coming up all over the drat place.

Other stores are growing. My corporation is taking all the money they don't spend on employee healthcare benefits ( or more employees ) and upgrading a lot of stores with new features. Wal-Mart's opening a bunch of grocery stores. :shrug:

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D printers and other, similar technologies turn out to be a real shot in the arm for traditional stores. People love customizing the garbage they buy, and if they could get it done instantly, that would be a huge draw. You want a chair this exact color? Sure. You want some MossyOak pattern on your flatscreen? We got you.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Faerunner posted:

:words: One day we will all work for Dollar Tree, the Last Brick and Mortar Store.

And God loving help us all when that happens. I almost considered going back to that shithole when I was out of work, but then I realized that as bad as my store was, it looked like paradise compared to the ones I was going to apply to.

I worked there 14 months. Most nights I closed. Some days I opened and did the truck. By the time I left, only 5 original employees remained: myself, another cashier, the full-time AM, and 2 cashiers turned part-time AMs. Everyone else, including the original SM and DM, left.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Isn't Sears run by a lunatic who wanted the different departments to compete against each other in some bizarre libertarian fantasy of market forces? I remember hearing that it was a mess years ago. I don't think we can blame that on e-commerce.

I accept that e-commerce creates competition for brick and mortar stores, and might serve to kill chains that would otherwise survive due to captive markets (without the internet, if you only had a radioshack to buy stuff at, you buy stuff there, after all), but I most of the stuff collapsing has its own terrible internal problems that prevented it from meeting the challenge.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Pryor on Fire posted:

"The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia — the next two countries with the highest retail space per capita"

CVS is dumping a lot of locations located within strip malls and shopping centers for rebuilt stand-alone locations. They almost certainly have a net positive number of stores opened.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sears is the Yahoo of brick & mortar stores, and it's anyone's guess which one finally self-immolates completely first.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Prepare yourselves. One day we will all work for Dollar Tree, the Last Brick and Mortar Store.

"They were the only store to survive the Brick & Mortar Wars of 2017. Now all stores are Dollar Tree."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"They were the only store to survive the Brick & Mortar Wars of 2017. Now all stores are Dollar Tree."

In the UK, of course, this is edited to say "Poundland"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ashcans posted:

Isn't Sears run by a lunatic who wanted the different departments to compete against each other in some bizarre libertarian fantasy of market forces? I remember hearing that it was a mess years ago. I don't think we can blame that on e-commerce.

Yes. E-commerce is certainly a problem for Sears but it's not the biggest one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite thing about sears is after they shut down the kmart I was working at they sent me 3 different letters trying to get me to buy stocks in the company.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fil5000 posted:

In the UK, of course, this is edited to say "Poundland"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aueah-mOjDI&hd=1

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I've had a couple of people ask recently if our car wash cleans inside the car. Specifically the automatic carwash.

It pretty obviously doesn't, and I don't see how that can be a thing, so I'm kind of asking, is that a thing, or is there something that could have been lost in translation somewhere, as it seems to mostly be Indian and Middle Eastern people asking about it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just tell them to go through with the windows down.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I've had a couple of people ask recently if our car wash cleans inside the car. Specifically the automatic carwash.

It pretty obviously doesn't, and I don't see how that can be a thing, so I'm kind of asking, is that a thing, or is there something that could have been lost in translation somewhere, as it seems to mostly be Indian and Middle Eastern people asking about it.

Maybe they think you offer a detail service with it?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

therobit posted:

Maybe they think you offer a detail service with it?

I asked every time if they were talking about the auto wash, and every time they said yes (again, English is not a first language for around 50% of our customers though).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zenithe posted:

I asked every time if they were talking about the auto wash, and every time they said yes (again, English is not a first language for around 50% of our customers though).

Who knows then. Car washes around here sometimes have a vrew of guys on hand for manual wash and wax and interior detail for premium prices.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

There's a car wash down the road from me that does like free details if you buy gas first

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The other day I was chugging along, getting poo poo done. I would have been gone a solid hour before I was set to leave, boom, out the door. Then the MOD said, "Oh, by the way, you've got to finish the truck for another department."

I was a little annoyed, but I know the man from that department. I knew he wouldn't leave unless he had a solid reason, and today I found out that reason. He told me, "Yeah, the store manager sent me home because I was getting close to forty."

Later, that same day, the store manager asked me why I was getting out late.

:shepface:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I look after the bakery and bought in bread in my store. Today marks the middle of my last 2 weeks of holiday for this year, I went in to buy some beer and asked how everything was going. This was a mistake.

Our Ecommerce department are stealing back one of my bakers from this week, indefinitely, as 2 of their drivers have quit and he can drive a van. Whoever counted (i know which useless poo poo did it) our bought in section overcounted everything and I've got almost no bread on the shelves on a payday weekend.

I think I might need something stronger than beer. And a letter telling them I'm stepping down from this position hopefully back to a baker so I don't have to worry about this poo poo any more. I don't think I've had a week yet where I can say "I have had the opportunity to do this position properly" because of the constant fuckery we experience and the expectation that I look after all of the fresh departments when I'm in the store.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You work with yeast, I'm sure you can start distilling! :v:

That sucks though. Knowing retail but still, is it possible for the fuckery to stop any time soon or is this how the store has been run forever?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Customer walks in with chip key blanks that he wants us to cut for him. Due to recent problems we've finally made it store policy that we don't cut blanks that customers bring in.

"Hey, I've got these blanks, can you cut them for me?"
"Sorry, we don't cut blanks people bring in."
"Fine, I'll take my business elsewhere"
:what: You've already taken your business elsewhere by buying cheap keys online instead of just buying them from us.

It's just not worth dealing with assholes if something goes wrong cutting those keyblanks so we don't do it anymore. Hell, the whole reason we stopped is because, even though we always tell the customer we don't take any liability if something screws up, some jackass threw a fit because the cut got messed up and expected us to buy him a new key. Hey, buddy, if you want the guarantee that we'll get you a working key than you buy the key from us. You want to cheap out with an online key well that's the risk you take.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Budgie posted:

Our Ecommerce department are stealing back one of my bakers from this week, indefinitely, as 2 of their drivers have quit and he can drive a van.

Wouldn't it be many many times easier to replace a truck driver than a baker at short notice?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Zenithe posted:

Wouldn't it be many many times easier to replace a truck driver than a baker at short notice?

Flesh units are indistinguishable and interchangeable to the Lord of Spreadsheets. Coincidentally, the relationship between cause and effect remains shrouded in mystery.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So, today began as any other Saturday.

Then, i went on first break and was given good news by the hardlines ASM that i will be getting off the registers and going to housewares starting middle of next week. Awesome!

Go back to my register and things again go the same normal way. And then... a kid hands me a toy. I ring it up and "she" asks me if she can hold on to it. I tell her ill ask your parents.

Look up at a woman wearing a "all men are assholes" shirt whos pushing poo poo onto the belt and i ask "is she allowed to hold the toy or would you prefer it i...." "did you just assume my childs gender? Dont ever call them a boy or girl unless THEY tell you what they are. Got it?"

I respond with "i apologize, wont happen again" thinking its a joke and continue ringing stuff up. Appearently not good enough of an apology, she demands to see a manager and proceeds to tell them how much of a gently caress up i am at being a human and this transgression needs a serious punishment. I should be fired. On the spot.

Once i ring up the last item, she starts yelling at me and swearing loudly. My new ASM walks up and tells her to leave. He aborts the transaction while shes losing her mind and tells me to go to the main office and wait for him.

A few minutes later he walks into the office and just shakes his head and says "Snowflakes gonna be snowflakes. Go ahead and sit for a few minutes if you need it and head back out when your ready."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Garrand posted:

Customer walks in with chip key blanks that he wants us to cut for him. Due to recent problems we've finally made it store policy that we don't cut blanks that customers bring in.

"Hey, I've got these blanks, can you cut them for me?"
"Sorry, we don't cut blanks people bring in."
"Fine, I'll take my business elsewhere"
:what: You've already taken your business elsewhere by buying cheap keys online instead of just buying them from us.

It's just not worth dealing with assholes if something goes wrong cutting those keyblanks so we don't do it anymore. Hell, the whole reason we stopped is because, even though we always tell the customer we don't take any liability if something screws up, some jackass threw a fit because the cut got messed up and expected us to buy him a new key. Hey, buddy, if you want the guarantee that we'll get you a working key than you buy the key from us. You want to cheap out with an online key well that's the risk you take.

Jesus keys can't cost THAT much these days can they? How much is a cut key snd how much would they theoretically save by ordering one online? You still have to pay for cutting I assume.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

therobit posted:

Jesus keys can't cost THAT much these days can they? How much is a cut key snd how much would they theoretically save by ordering one online? You still have to pay for cutting I assume.

Uncut keys for my car were over a hundred when I looked at getting a spare. Or 13+ shipping from China

E. Although I imagine the high cost is partly an incentive to get them cut there

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 26, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Chip keys cost either 40 or 80 dollars depending on what keyblank I have to use.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grimcreaper posted:

So, today began as any other Saturday.

Then, i went on first break and was given good news by the hardlines ASM that i will be getting off the registers and going to housewares starting middle of next week. Awesome!

Go back to my register and things again go the same normal way. And then... a kid hands me a toy. I ring it up and "she" asks me if she can hold on to it. I tell her ill ask your parents.

Look up at a woman wearing a "all men are assholes" shirt whos pushing poo poo onto the belt and i ask "is she allowed to hold the toy or would you prefer it i...." "did you just assume my childs gender? Dont ever call them a boy or girl unless THEY tell you what they are. Got it?"

I respond with "i apologize, wont happen again" thinking its a joke and continue ringing stuff up. Appearently not good enough of an apology, she demands to see a manager and proceeds to tell them how much of a gently caress up i am at being a human and this transgression needs a serious punishment. I should be fired. On the spot.

Once i ring up the last item, she starts yelling at me and swearing loudly. My new ASM walks up and tells her to leave. He aborts the transaction while shes losing her mind and tells me to go to the main office and wait for him.

A few minutes later he walks into the office and just shakes his head and says "Snowflakes gonna be snowflakes. Go ahead and sit for a few minutes if you need it and head back out when your ready."

Cool a story that totally didn't happen. We haven't had one of these in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Which part is more unbelievable, the eldritch horror customer or an ASM acting like a decent human being?