Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If anything, the PS3 generation is one of the reasons PS4 is so great right now

Nah think it has more to do with the xbone being a complete turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ineffiable posted:

One could argue that playstation 2 was just as strong. You got Jax and Daxter and the Rachet and Clank games. And we know the PS2 probably has the highest number of actually good games, just because it sold just about the most consoles as well as probably the most software titles sold in total.

I dunno, the PS2 felt like a decided shift away from western devs. Japanese title support was extremely strong on that console, but the western stuff, aside from obvious examples like God of War, just always felt like an afterthought. J&D, R&C, and Sly Cooper, while generally well respected by their fanbases, all seem like they're building to something more...but they never really get there, maybe because the conceptual art assets were so far behind what the japansese game industry had been up to in the 90s. The PS2's success in the west seemed less tied to western games and more tied to adoption rates of DVDs.

Whereas the PS1, even though it was pushing a certain type of technology, was fundamentally a joint project between Sony Japan and Sony Europe. There literally was no PS1 without the early success of SCEE and Psygnosis, subsequently backed up by FF7 and that whole tsunami of titles.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nah think it has more to do with the xbone being a complete turd

Well, I did say 'one of the reasons' :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GodDAMN, Horizon's weather and lighting is ace

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the HDR in HZD is v enjoyable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The talk on both these past pages is why I'm excited for Death Stranding

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If anyone missed the rez infinite pre-order theme/av there's some on ebay for $6. Shipped code tho :mad:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I dunno, the PS2 felt like a decided shift away from western devs. Japanese title support was extremely strong on that console, but the western stuff, aside from obvious examples like God of War, just always felt like an afterthought. J&D, R&C, and Sly Cooper, while generally well respected by their fanbases, all seem like they're building to something more...but they never really get there, maybe because the conceptual art assets were so far behind what the japansese game industry had been up to in the 90s. The PS2's success in the west seemed less tied to western games and more tied to adoption rates of DVDs.

Yep, I sold my ps2 for an xbox because there was nothing I wanted to play on it after SSX. Most of the western stuff skewed younger and I was in my 20s when it came out. PS4 has great games from both sides of the Pacific.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You guys are dumb if you buy a smart TV plus big brother spying on you

I gave my 46" 1080p tv to my parents and my dad only took it because I swore it didn't have a camera.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't wait to get back to Yakuza 0 as I am away from my PS4PPPRO. I'm thinking of my next game and it is between RE7, NiERRR, and HZD.

I think I must play them all regardless but it will take me a while since I got Zelda too. A bit of me is leaning towards NIER because it would be nice after Yakuza. RE7 and HZD look really good too though but I feel HZD last since I'm gonna need a break of open world/similar narrative after Zelda.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Obsurveyor posted:

Are there any exclusives for it that didn't come to PC except Halo 5 & Sunset Overdrive because I can't think of any more. By far my worst console purchase ever since they announced play anywhere like a month later and dropped it another $100.

Only game on Xbox I wish Ps4 had is Dead Rising 3. I don't care if it may not be that good I still wanna play it. Isn't Dead Rising 4 going to release on Ps4 after a year like Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dead rising 3 is on pc. so's 4 I think

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

If anyone missed the rez infinite pre-order theme/av there's some on ebay for $6. Shipped code tho :mad:

i can't use it. it makes my cat attack the tv

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Only game on Xbox I wish Ps4 had is Dead Rising 3. I don't care if it may not be that good I still wanna play it. Isn't Dead Rising 4 going to release on Ps4 after a year like Rise of the Tomb Raider?

yes dr4 is a timed 1 year exclusive. probably gonna find out they did it again at this e3 too with another game

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm still vaguely interested in Crackdown, Phantom Dust, and Sunset Overdrive. Definitely not interested enough to buy an Xbone, though. I think my next console purchase will be a Switch, hopefully after a price drop.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

I'm still vaguely interested in Crackdown, Phantom Dust, and Sunset Overdrive. Definitely not interested enough to buy an Xbone, though. I think my next console purchase will be a Switch, hopefully after a price drop.

phantom dust is a remaster of the old game and it an crackdown will be on pc.
idk how you can get hyped for crackdown though its in obvious dev hell and is the follow up to one of the worst sequels of all time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

phantom dust was cancelled I think

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

phantom dust is a remaster of the old game and it an crackdown will be on pc.
idk how you can get hyped for crackdown though its in obvious dev hell and is the follow up to one of the worst sequels of all time.

Those are the only exclusives of any note, though, right? What ever happened to ReCore? Is that still upcoming?

Sounds like the Scorpio will be a powerful console with 0 games.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ReCore was released and it was a turd.

Just saw that Sunset Overdrive game on sale for $7 Cdn and that was supposed to be one of the good exclusives (it wasn't).

edit: I should be the key demographic for the Scorpio, loved my xbox and 360, bought them at launch, always buy the most powerful console... but I just got a high end PC for the living room because why bother with Scorpio when it's just gonna be a mid tier PC. They lost me.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

phantom dust was cancelled I think

The sequel was cancelled. The oh poo poo we got a lot of bad pr remaster is due out around e3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

Those are the only exclusives of any note, though, right? What ever happened to ReCore? Is that still upcoming?

Sounds like the Scorpio will be a powerful console with 0 games.

Recore shipped unfinished and broken on console/pc and remains so.

Sso is a game that seems fine if you have nothing else to play and like wacky unfunny jokes.

Rare replay is the only game that is truly xbox exclusive and desirable imo and many of its games are poorly emulated on pc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

the HDR in HZD is v enjoyable

After puttering around doing sidequests for 15 hours I arrived at Daytower and the game basically has it's hooks deep in me now. The amount of work Guerilla put into the conceptual art and tribal politics in HZD is just awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 26, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

After puttering around doing sidequests for 15 hours I arrived at Daytower and the game basically has it's hooks in me now. The amount of work Guerilla put into the conceptual art and tribal politics in HZD is just awesome.

I thought the game wasnt that special looking until i rode into the desert at dawn

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
HZD is especially good looking after you leave the PS4 in rest mode for a while, when you wake it up the graphics look refreshed and vibrant

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Coming of NieR to HZD has been a struggle for me. I guess I got too used to the Platinum gameplay because holy gently caress does everything in this game feel cumbersome. I mean, the game is beautiful and I can't wait to play more, but gently caress I feel like I can't control Aloy worth a poo poo and movement just feels so slow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pro tip, never do a melee attack and she will feel much more controllable. gently caress the melee attack. They should have made it only context usable.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After my first day with HZD I'm just about to leave the Embrace and I'm astonished how a company that didn't make open-world RPGs made an open-world RPG this good. That had to be part of it, it doesn't do anything revolutionary but they must've been able to take a clear look at what works and what doesn't in a way Bioware and Bethesda can't/won't anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Pro tip, never do a melee attack and she will feel much more controllable. gently caress the melee attack. They should have made it only context usable.

The melee attack is really good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

After my first day with HZD I'm just about to leave the Embrace and I'm astonished how a company that didn't make open-world RPGs made an open-world RPG this good. That had to be part of it, it doesn't do anything revolutionary but they must've been able to take a clear look at what works and what doesn't in a way Bioware and Bethesda can't/won't anymore.

They hired a ton of open world talent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Coming of NieR to HZD has been a struggle for me. I guess I got too used to the Platinum gameplay because holy gently caress does everything in this game feel cumbersome. I mean, the game is beautiful and I can't wait to play more, but gently caress I feel like I can't control Aloy worth a poo poo and movement just feels so slow.

HDZ feels like the smoothest game ever compared to Witcher 3. Different tiers, I guess.

Real hurthling! posted:

Really? I'm playing on hard and melee almost feels overpowered.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 26, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Seriously the exclusive games that have come out on PS4 in the last 6 months or so have been pretty incredible. Pretty good mix of Western and Japanese, so yeah Sony's game focus is pretty spot on so far. I was expecting to log serious time back on PC for Titanfall 2, etc but haven't even really dented my PS4 backlog.

Horizon
Nier (not really exclusive, but whatev)
UC4
Nioh
Gravity Rush
Last Guardian
No Man's Sky gotya

Rinkles posted:

They hired a ton of open world talent.

It shows. I seriously loved how there were poo poo tons of fast travel points and that if you were near another one the load time was like seconds. A+ QOL.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

The melee attack is really good

For crit strikes and silent kills aka context sensitive moments. Otherwise nah. Lol if you hit r2 hoping to hit something

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Real hurthling! posted:

For crit strikes and silent kills aka context sensitive moments. Otherwise nah. Lol if you hit r2 hoping to hit something

Yeah, melee is a little klutzy outside of special strikes. Magic bows and slingshots are far more fun and effective.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The light melee attack is for like, boars and poo poo. The heavy melee attack is practically a dodge counter. The heavy melee attack is what you should use 99% of the time and it's really good.

Edit: how are you missing with r2? She locks on and will slide like 15 feet to connect with a target...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's my experience, too

:laffo: I was swimming at night in a lake and something started to spot me so I figured I'd duck under the water Tenchu style and a giant robot crocodile swam past while I held my breath

This game owns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Real hurthling! posted:

Remember when a goon worked on Crackdown 2 and hyped it up then got dogpiled when the game was poo poo and had less content than Crackdown 1

Same thing happened with Mercenaries 2, I think those are both in the running for worst sequels ever. Mercs was buggy as hell on top of taking out all the stuff people liked.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Recore shipped unfinished and broken on console/pc and remains so.

Sso is a game that seems fine if you have nothing else to play and like wacky unfunny jokes.

Rare replay is the only game that is truly xbox exclusive and desirable imo and many of its games are poorly emulated on pc.

So basically the only exclusives are still Halo, Forza, and Gears? gently caress!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

So basically the only exclusives are still Halo, Forza, and Gears? gently caress!

Gears and forza and part of halo are on pc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Halo and Gears are both pretty fun but they are so loving stale at this point I'd probably be waffling about buying the newest one even if I had an Xbone.

The funny thing about the Xbox one for me is that it's kind of unprecedented that I haven't bought one. I always have both consoles by this far into the cycle all the way back to the Sega Saturn, usually due to some exclusives, but I haven't had a single moment where I had a hair up my rear end to go buy an Xbox. Like, there is a few games I might get if I had one, but there isn't a single one that has made me ever even consider running out to get one on for a minute. And I heavily preferred 360 to PS3 for the most part last gen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Halo and Gears are both pretty fun but they are so loving stale at this point I'd probably be waffling about buying the newest one even if I had an Xbone.

The funny thing about the Xbox one for me is that it's kind of unprecedented that I haven't bought one. I always have both consoles by this far into the cycle all the way back to the Sega Saturn, usually due to some exclusives, but I haven't had a single moment where I had a hair up my rear end to go buy an Xbox. Like, there is a few games I might get if I had one, but there isn't a single one that has made me ever even consider running out to get one on for a minute. And I heavily preferred 360 to PS3 for the most part last gen.

I've seen them go cheap multiple times and never thought about buying one for more than about two minutes. There's simply nothing beyond all of maybe five games I'd want to play (Sunset Overdrive, Halo, Gears, ReCore, Rare Replay), and of those only one actually got good reviews (Rare Replay). The only other game was Quantum Break, and that got an excellent port to Steam.

Whereas with the PS4 I've got a backlog about 4-5 games deep :feelsgood:.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So basically the Xbone is over at this point but MS is pretending the Scorpio is an Xbone upgrade rather than sucking it up and announcing that it's an entirely new console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What are the Toukiden games like? I saw that the second one got a release on Steam a little while ago, and Kiwami is also available, but it sounds like the PC versions have some issues. I heard that were like Monster Hunter games set in fedual Japan. I've never played any of the Monster Hunter games;' the closest I've ever gotten is the Monster Hunter content MGS: Peace Walker. It seems like a lot of people really like them, but I've also heard they're really grindy.