Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Festival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Meanwhile even Yoko "loving" Taro can ship an RPG with excellent EN localization included on the JP disk and you don't even have to wait 8 months :confused:

The comparative amount of localization, both text and speech, between Persona and Nier makes this comparison basically meaningless

Also, Nier's localization was handled by an external company while Atlus does all of theirs themselves

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dryzen posted:

gently caress you baal

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
thread theme: gently caress baal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nier had a shitton of stuff to translate, the difference is Nier has the backing of a company with a shitton of money that can afford a localization side by side with the development of the game whereas Atlus USA is a significantly smaller company and is beholden to their Japanese branch on what they can or can't do and more often than not the Japanese branch doesn't let them do localization alongside development for a number of reasons that kinda suck. Not that Square isn't also kept under that sort of stuff, but poo poo like Nier and FF more often than not are considered pretty high priority which is why poo poo like that gets dropped on worldwide releases. It's why people saying poo poo like P5 getting a worldwide release was crazy, not even just the sheer number of dialogue and text, but the allowances they are given, multitude of other projects they were already working on at the time, and that the English localization had nothing being said about it ever with the exception of like Morgana's voice until like a month after the game came out in Japan.

Hace posted:

thread theme: gently caress baal

I welcome all takers.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
please dont give square credit for any kind of localization and thank my good friends at 8-4

8-4 are very good at their jobs

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
8-4 are good but square had the money to throw at them for localization and also got them on the project early enough to do that poo poo. Atlus doesn't have that money or permission, they can't even get a non-PCB studio to do most of their games.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I give square credit for hiring your friends :)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
8-4 also did Revengeance and many other good platinum games, god bless them

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
8-4 is a very good company

hopefully other companies will learn from their practice of "not leaving VOs completely in the dark"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square could've easily done it in-house and as much FF15 was fine for the most part, it would be far worse than what 8-4 did because they didn't have an established relationship with Yoko and the previous VA's.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
yooouuuu are the ooooocean's gray waaaaaaves

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Captain Baal posted:

Nier had a shitton of stuff to translate, the difference is Nier has the backing of a company with a shitton of money that can afford a localization side by side with the development of the game whereas Atlus USA is a significantly smaller company and is beholden to their Japanese branch on what they can or can't do and more often than not the Japanese branch doesn't let them do localization alongside development for a number of reasons that kinda suck.

So, what are those reasons that kinda suck?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hace posted:

please dont give square credit for any kind of localization and thank my good friends at 8-4

8-4 are very good at their jobs

Oh, did 8-4 translate the new Nier? Aight, I'll go buy that before it goes on deep sale. Those dudes and girl(s?) are cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LeSquide posted:

So, what are those reasons that kinda suck?

P4A and the Ultimax are the only games that got concurrent localizations alongside the development of the games and dudes at Atlus USA managed to convince them of that so it kept parity with the competitive scene the game would have. Even then those games were delayed from worldwide release so japanese people didn't pull the games from America since Japanese games at retail costed a decent amount more than US ones. Ultimax's English script was actually in the files of the JP version of the game and the dub was accessible in the game as well. It's weird with P4A because while it did get a concurrent localization it also got slapped with the region-block which makes it strange they still kept it at like a two-week difference compared to Ultimax's entire month. P3 and P4 and such were definitely the results of the games being more niche at the time. P5 I already gave some reasons for since a lot of the team was already working on other localizations, but also P5's development got caught in a snag due to Atlus' weird standing for a good year where it was swapping owners from Index to Sega. There's no concrete thing that kept up P5's localization, but there's a lot of outside factors that make it very clear it was outside of Atlus USA's control and more in the hands of what was happening in the business at the time and possibly some decisions also made by the Japanese branch. Another game that made me think a lot of the localization calls in general are being made by the JP branch is P2 Eternal Punishment's PSP port not being doable because they are just outright not able to. They said in an interview on the PSBlog they are literally unable to do it for reasons they could not say which makes one assume there's some red tape holding them up from doing it and I doubt it's any sort of licensing issue.

Sorry for all of the words at once, but I wanted to try to cover everything I had been reading up on this stuff and not just try to make it seem like any of it is baseless.

enojy posted:

Oh, did 8-4 translate the new Nier? Aight, I'll go buy that before it goes on deep sale. Those dudes and girl(s?) are cool.

They also localized old Nier, iirc and Drakengard 3.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Captain Baal posted:

8-4 are good but square had the money to throw at them for localization and also got them on the project early enough to do that poo poo. Atlus doesn't have that money or permission, they can't even get a non-PCB studio to do most of their games.

Is PCB cheaper than most?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not entirely certain what the circumstances behind them being so PCB focused are, but they've had them since Eternal Punishment and Keith Arem has done ADR work for all of the main games while his wife Valerie did all of the spinoffs and also Catherine. It's more than likely a stick with what you know thing at this point. They have used Cup of Tea for Devil Survivor 2 though which was a great dub. PCB's not exactly a no name company though, they do big freakin' games and turn out some great stuff too. Idk what the deal is with some of their more recent productions like Zero Time Dilemma, 999, or even Dancing All Night sound pretty rear end. I'm a big voice acting dork and I don't even like how the P5 dub sounds so far, which is weird because this is the same studio that did the Titanfall and Saint's Row voices and those are amazing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
We're living in a post-anime Troy Baker and Laura Bailey world, tbf

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Laura Bailey still does anime games

I mean, wasn't Laura Bailey still up for doing Dancing All night but they were doing that stupid "CONCEAL THE FACT THAT THE JOB IS RISE"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She said on her twitter it was scheduling conflicts that kept her from doing Dancing All Night.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I mean she still sticks around for a lot of old roles because she's awesome and perfect, but it seems like she mostly does jobs that actually pay well now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's the most in demand female va for video games right now, that's pretty much to be expected.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As long as she continues to take roles that let her swear a bunch, but also sometimes roles that don't, I'm good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Troy Baker is less needed because if someone wants the Troy Baker voice, they just hire Matt Mercer instead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Matt Mercer somehow finds a way to do every Triple A game, non-union game, anime, and still run a pretty successful internet series where he plays D&D. I dunno how that fuckin dude finds time to do anything, but he's always in something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Matt Mercer somehow finds a way to do every Triple A game, non-union game, anime, and still run a pretty successful internet series where he plays D&D. I dunno how that fuckin dude finds time to do anything, but he's always in something.

Matt Mercer is actually a series of slightly defective clones of Troy Baker who have allied together to form a successful prolific voice actor.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

why do you think there can only be one mcree per team now
do you wanna supply all those mercers?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been watching gameplay videos where you can switch party members out like FFX. Does that keep them all balanced level wise, or do you actually have to have them participate in battle?

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
One of the confidants (Moon) allows inactive party members to get EXP. You automatically reach rank 2 with him by progressing the story, so they'll always get at least 50% of the EXP. Reaching rank 5 with him increases that to 75%, and rank 10 allows all party members to get full EXP.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Matt Mercer is actually a series of slightly defective clones of Troy Baker who have allied together to form a successful prolific voice actor.

He also took over the role of Kanji too. :tinfoil:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What time zone are these midnight releases usually based on?
I'm not in the US.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Item Getter posted:

What time zone are these midnight releases usually based on?
I'm not in the US.

I preordered on PSN on the east coast and it says it will unlock in 7 days and 23 hours, so it'll be midnight EDT. But I don't know if it will drop at midnight depending on your time zone or at midnight based on EDT.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've now completed a handful of SMT games and Persona 3 + 4 and loved them quite a bit. Preordered Persona 5's TYH edition because why the hell not and been pretty excited for it.

I've kinda been going as blind as possible in it but as launch gets closer I see people talking about how spotty it is and whatnot and it's starting to make me kind of concerned. I never really pushed deeper into it for fear of spoilers but what's the general thought on it from goons that have played it or whatever?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've now completed a handful of SMT games and Persona 3 + 4 and loved them quite a bit. Preordered Persona 5's TYH edition because why the hell not and been pretty excited for it.

I've kinda been going as blind as possible in it but as launch gets closer I see people talking about how spotty it is and whatnot and it's starting to make me kind of concerned. I never really pushed deeper into it for fear of spoilers but what's the general thought on it from goons that have played it or whatever?

Spotty isn't what I'd call it, especially if you read any of the early previews so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

p5 is a game with flaws and weird bits because it's a video game made by humans, and it inherits a lot of the flaws that p3 and p4 had even if fixes a lot of longstanding issues

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

people just don't like the english dub i'm pretty sure everyone thinks the game itself is good. just play in japanese with subs as god intended.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

people just don't like the english dub i'm pretty sure everyone thinks the game itself is good. just play in japanese with subs as god intended.

Actually I'm going to play it in english as god intended

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

god is dead bitches

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yeah all I've seen are just vague statements of "it's a massive step down from P4!!" "None of the characters are as good as the P4 Cast!" "Why isn't this P4 2?", English complaints and just "the plot is a mess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah all I've seen are just vague statements of "it's a massive step down from P4!!" "None of the characters are as good as the P4 Cast!" "Why isn't this P4 2?", English complaints and just "the plot is a mess"
those people thought the game was worse than p4, because they are people who have opinions