Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Smashing Link posted:

Masques/Invasion had Counterspell, Undermine, Absorb, and Brainstorm all in the same WUB control deck. Those were the days

I genuinely miss winning games by attacking with Thieving Magpies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Everything post alara block until it rotated was my favorite, with the best standard being when the core set with mana leak legal right before the rotation and Scars block. Doom blade, path, terminate, mana leak and bolt were all standard legal. Jace, Garruk and Ajani were all kept in check by pulse and blightning, and Nicol Bolas and Cruel Ultimatum were cards you could cast and still be competitive. Mill and RDW both extremely viable as well, including the standard dredge deck with vengevines and unearth creatures.

Nothing had to be banned, people hated Jund but a lot of why it was omnipresent was the deck played 0-2 mythics (Garruk) and broodmate was the only rare so the whole thing was dirt cheap.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The one standard deck I wish I could go back in time and play was 5-color Cruel Ultimatum.

Quiz for people not playing at the time: which of the following did Cruel Control not play?
Esper Charm
Cruel Ultimatum
Volcanic Fallout
Cloudthresher
Cryptic Command

Trick question, it played all of them

DangerDongs posted:

It was the best. Zoo existed, Land destruction was good, there was a B/R Tron control and LD deck, Maga Traitor of Mortals combo deck, and some others.

Was a really solid format. I played 4 color Zoo adding in Bob for card draw and removal in the form of putrify and mortify, which won me my JSS if anyone remembers those.

Eye of Nowhere being better than Boomerang in Eminent Domain explicitly because it was a sorcery was some funny poo poo. I hadn't yet gotten there at the time, but in retrospect Heartbeat is the exact kind of clever deck design I like, with all the key cards costing 3 so you could get them with Drift of Phantasms and with Weird Harvest to fetch Drift of Phantasms if needed. Man that deck was cool.

Winning the JSS is p neat and definitely more than I've ever accomplished in Magic, but my favorite Bob deck was the one in Rav/TSP standard that could go Turn 1 Greater Gargadon Turn 2 Bob Turn 3 Hit//Run. Win by the Bob, die by the Bob.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I'm going to sound like a total MTG hipster here, and sorry for that, but my favorite tournament time was Necro Summer. We all knew about how powerful the deck was, and a good majority of my friends played it. I, however, had found the power of White Weenie. I also found that it was an acceptable nemesis to the necro decks. 12 prot black creatures, Crusade, Armageddon ... even cheeky combos like Balance/Zuran Orb. It didn't always win, but when you could drop Savannah Lion - White Knight - Crusade - Armageddon ... you usually won. Of course you usually lost to a Dark Ritual + Gloom after sideboards, but I digress.

The second favorite time was during Masques/Invasion. The power was so low, but if you knew how to think outside of the box you could steal games from people who had no idea how to deal with the crap you were throwing at them. I had a mono-b deck that ran Thrashing Wumpus as it's win-con (remember, Dark Ritual was still in it ... anything with black was good). I also managed to Top 8 a Wizard's Game Center championship with a really stupid Grixis Spellshaper deck. Using some of the fun Spellshapers (like Waterfront Bouncer) and the super powerful Squee, Goblin Nabob ... it would usually win with a Crosis, the Purger.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

En Fuego posted:

I'm going to sound like a total MTG hipster here, and sorry for that, but my favorite tournament time was Necro Summer. We all knew about how powerful the deck was, and a good majority of my friends played it. I, however, had found the power of White Weenie. I also found that it was an acceptable nemesis to the necro decks. 12 prot black creatures, Crusade, Armageddon ... even cheeky combos like Balance/Zuran Orb. It didn't always win, but when you could drop Savannah Lion - White Knight - Crusade - Armageddon ... you usually won. Of course you usually lost to a Dark Ritual + Gloom after sideboards, but I digress.

The second favorite time was during Masques/Invasion. The power was so low, but if you knew how to think outside of the box you could steal games from people who had no idea how to deal with the crap you were throwing at them. I had a mono-b deck that ran Thrashing Wumpus as it's win-con (remember, Dark Ritual was still in it ... anything with black was good). I also managed to Top 8 a Wizard's Game Center championship with a really stupid Grixis Spellshaper deck. Using some of the fun Spellshapers (like Waterfront Bouncer) and the super powerful Squee, Goblin Nabob ... it would usually win with a Crosis, the Purger.

I know a few people who thought black summer was a great time in magic

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

Masques/Invasion had Counterspell, Undermine, Absorb, and Fact or Fiction and Wrath of God all in the same WUB control deck. Those were the days

plus a no-poo poo opposition deck someone played at worlds

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

plus a no-poo poo opposition deck someone played at worlds

Squirrel Opposition was a legit deck in Inv/Ody Standard

gently caress I've wasted way too much of my life on this dumb game

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

Eye of Nowhere being better than Boomerang in Eminent Domain explicitly because it was a sorcery was some funny poo poo.

It's similarly hilarious that Eye of Nowhere has been playable in Legacy and Boomerang hasn't, due to having the extra ability of "can be gotten with Burning Wish."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sometimes I wish I played during the days of t1 island t2 island boomerang your land.

A deck like that seems right up my alley.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Sometimes I wish I played during the days of t1 island t2 island boomerang your land.

Magnivore was amazing. It didn't necessarily cripple decks because there were both two mana counters and Signets.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Count Bleck posted:

I played a deck at some point in mirrodin/kamigawa t2 that could open with t1 land, chrome mox, isochron scepter imprinting boomerang. When it worked, it was glorious.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

You can in Legacy.

Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors > Isochron Scepter and imprint Boomerang.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Has anyone bought cards from ChannelFireball recently? I traded some cards in and they were super lax with the rating this time. Did I just get lucky or are they not as strict as they used to be?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShadeofBlue posted:

Has anyone bought cards from ChannelFireball recently? I traded some cards in and they were super lax with the rating this time. Did I just get lucky or are they not as strict as they used to be?

I bought about 50 cards from them recently and nearly all of them were NM in my opinion even though I bought several LP. One might have been misgraded up but I'm not quite picky enough to care. Seems like there's less value in spending time rating cards than there is in just flipping them as "lightly played," which covers 98% of sales, likely.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lawnie posted:

I bought about 50 cards from them recently and nearly all of them were NM in my opinion even though I bought several LP. One might have been misgraded up but I'm not quite picky enough to care. Seems like there's less value in spending time rating cards than there is in just flipping them as "lightly played," which covers 98% of sales, likely.

Yah that was my past experience too. Some of the cards that I sold to them I expected to fall under LP or HP that they graded NM or LP. So I probably just got lucky.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i've never had anything come in worse than LP from cf and i think i buy from there 3-4 times a month.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It's a little funny that I often find I am ordering from channel fireball on tcg player. It a seems that they tend to put out their damaged or hp cards there. I am pretty sure I got damaged Chandra for 8 bucks from them that turned out to be totally fine and foil.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
CFB and SCG are both super safe to buy from. I've gotten MP cards from both that looked better than LP items I've seen elsewhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Scg grading has been stellar. If they say nm on the site, I know I am getting perfect cards. I only care with old stuff like basics or commons from sets that you just kind find sp or better on tcg player.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I prefer to order from tcg direct on tcg because those cards are loving pack fresh every time. Almost always worth it.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I just logged into MTGO after five years and all my buddies are card bots.

Looks like nothing's changed.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I just logged into MTGO after five years and all my buddies are card bots.

Looks like nothing's changed.

This is accurate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I didn't even realize Amonkhet spoilers are like a week off.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

This was the funniest thing I've had happen in a match in a long time.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
This is the deck I've been using for FNM's and Sunday free-standard events. I just started playing again a couple weeks ago, so I'd appreciate any advice I could get on how to tighten it up?

I'm probably mostly clueless with the strategy, but I've actually won a few games. Probably just got lucky and my opponent didn't draw well. I mostly play against the top 3 STD meta net-decks at these events, so I tried to put in a few responses to those.
You can pretty much ignore the sideboard, I don't really know what to put in those slots.

Deck: MonoB Vampire Counters

//Main
2 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Fatal Push
4 Gifted Aetherborn
2 Grasp of Darkness
4 Indulgent Aristocrat
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
4 Lost Legacy
2 Metallic Mimic
2 Murder
2 Remorseless Punishment
23 Swamp
4 To the Slaughter
4 Vampire Cutthroat
2 Yahenni, Undying Partisan

//Sideboard
4 Essence Extraction
1 Harsh Scrutiny
4 Subtle Strike
3 Swamp
4 Visions of Brutality

Display deck statistics

Guidance? Criticism? Thanks for the help in advance.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TwistedNails posted:

This was the funniest thing I've had happen in a match in a long time.

U tron has a couple of outs to piledriver but maybe their hand was horrid.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Pretty sure that was just a shame concede after running into their own Chalice of Value.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Pretty sure that was just a shame concede after running into their own Chalice of Value.

such skill

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

When he messed up on the map getting countered by his own Chalice he conceded and quit the match. It was going to be a long game for me anyway hoping to get non 1 drops.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Subways Jared posted:

This is the deck I've been using for FNM's and Sunday free-standard events. I just started playing again a couple weeks ago, so I'd appreciate any advice I could get on how to tighten it up?

I'm probably mostly clueless with the strategy, but I've actually won a few games. Probably just got lucky and my opponent didn't draw well. I mostly play against the top 3 STD meta net-decks at these events, so I tried to put in a few responses to those.
You can pretty much ignore the sideboard, I don't really know what to put in those slots.

Guidance? Criticism? Thanks for the help in advance.

Do not run 4 lost legacy mainboard. There really is no reason now to even run any in the sideboard let alone 4.

If you don't want to replace with creatures play Transgress the Mind instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I won a draft on the backs of Sedrixis Specter and Entreat the Angels. Yeesh.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
EDH players are really something. I bit the bullet and played with friends tonight. We had a 3 hour game where 5 people complained that nobody would do something and it was just a stalemate. I was playing some lovely Mirko Vosk desk I borrowed and then we started a second game (Yes I know, how stupid) and I killed everyone on like T9 with my Purphoros deck and then they all complained they died too fast and didn't get to do anything.

Tip: Never play EDH

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Player elimination, bighuge decks, high life totals and, as far as I can tell, no actual reward for being the one to eliminate people?

Sign me out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Can anyone else anecdotally confirm that grixis control and esper flicker seem to be the strongest draft archetypes in MM17? Those two seem to always be the ones that go 3-0/4-0 at my LGSs here.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

Player elimination, bighuge decks, high life totals and, as far as I can tell, no actual reward for being the one to eliminate people?

Sign me out.

whenever i try to play EDH i apparently make the game too complicated by trying to cut deals and form alliances, excuse me for trying to have fun

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I enjoy playing EDH but I only play it with my friends, playing with strangers sounds like a super mixed bag

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

its me glenda posted:

Can anyone else anecdotally confirm that grixis control and esper flicker seem to be the strongest draft archetypes in MM17? Those two seem to always be the ones that go 3-0/4-0 at my LGSs here.

Bant is also good.

I have also been successful with Mardu aggro

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have done well with blue decks in MM3 draft. I even pulled off a 3-0 with Grixis and a splash of white for Wall of Denial and Entreat the Angels. I even got off an Entreat for eight angel tokens.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

One of the many problems with EDH is that it goes from "random goblins with a few spells" to "100 card powered cube worth more than a modest starter home"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

its me glenda posted:

So far i've 3-0'd with Selesnya Populate, Rakdos Aggro, and a sick Grixis Burn deck with 4 thunderous wraths, 4 chandra's outrages, 3 magma jets, and like 5-6 creatures.

• Locked thread