Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Trump is obviously significantly worse than Obama because his administration has caused undocumented women to stop reporting rapes in LA. Whitewashing that by trying to blame Obama is loving gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Um, obama was well-liked

she was not

we can blame her for thinking that
Clinton actually has had pretty consistently fair favorability ratings on the national stage. She polled at around 60 or above for the entirety of her role as Secretary of State. Her becoming the second most unpopular presidential candidate in a modern election behind Trump himself wasn't something that should have necessarily been expected.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump is obviously significantly worse than Obama because his administration has caused undocumented women to stop reporting rapes in LA. Whitewashing that by trying to blame Obama is loving gross.
Tell us more about how dedicated to the platform Hillary was and how a public option was just a thing Obama said that only naive idiots believed :allears:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

You're so loving slimy man.

You're the one who brought up rape victims to support your terrible argument to begin with.

No mention of Obama detention centers because you're a partisan hack.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Undocumented Latinas have stopped reporting rapes in LA due to Trump and I'm totally exploiting that to make a slimy dishonest argument that they would have been better off with a democrat as president. gently caress your ignorant machismo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Obama was loving terrible and sucked in the vast majority of issues.

Obama sucked on some things, but this is going too far. He was as good as any president with an insanely nihilistic Republican Congress could be on some incredibly important topics. Nukes and environment/climate change are literally the most important issues in the world, and he was good on them.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

obama was regular terrible and sucked in a slim majority of issues

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Obama's biggest mistake was thinking the republicans would ever work in good faith with him. That type of centrism--compromise as a value itself--is real dumb. Smart centrism is the type that recognizes that we can't win on all our issues all the time, and we need to appeal to enough of the electorate to enact our agenda. I'd put "drop gun control" into that category, although like every other issue we can argue about those expectations and values.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

Undocumented Latinas have stopped reporting rapes in LA due to Trump and I'm totally exploiting that to make a slimy dishonest argument that they would have been better off with a democrat as president. gently caress your ignorant machismo.

do you honestly think this wasn't also an issue under other presidencies with the major difference being scale?

JeffersonClay posted:

Obama's biggest mistake was thinking the republicans would ever work in good faith with him. That type of centrism--compromise as a value itself--is real dumb. Smart centrism is the type that recognizes that we can't win on all our issues all the time, and we need to appeal to enough of the electorate to enact our agenda. I'd put "drop gun control" into that category, although like every other issue we can argue about those expectations and values.

you're describing tactics not ideology, replace centrism with politics and the argument is exactly the same

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

gently caress your ignorant machismo.

What would my raza do without JC and the Dems to save us? :qq:

Forget the fact that centrist hackery gave them NAFTA and allowed things like this: young maquiladora female workers with no protections getting raped and murdered.

Forget the fact that Dems have allowed the drug wars to continue. Forget the fact that Obama allowed US arms to fall in the hands of the cartels. Arms which were used to terrorize innocent Mexican women and children.

gently caress off with your white savior bullshit gringo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

JeffersonClay posted:

Can I ask where you live?

I fundamentally agree with the theory of the sort of compromise you are looking to make. In my move naive days, I made similar suggestions. However in NYC, Oakland and black Indianapolis gun control is a red meat issue. Like abortion, nobody expects anybody to really go to bat but it certainly *feels good* and *messages well*. In NYC and the Bay Area, the "messaging well" is particularly relevant for the donor population and if my experience in Indianapolis can be extrapolated to the national scene, standing firm on the "important but undeliverable" issues (shades of abortion for the rapid right) seems good "easy compromise" material.

If we give up gun control and, frankly, I'm fine with giving up gun control from a cool strategic perspective, what ought we give it up for and how do you propose we structure this narrative?

Threading the needle between the interests of the donor class and the minority classes is something the Dems haven't done a good job with. Abandoning an issue where they are in agreement, unless done very carefully, seems more likely to shatter a (if not the) core alliance keeping the Dems politically relevant at all.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Gun control should be given up for universal health care, and break up the banks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Gun control should be given up for universal health care, and break up the banks.

That would offend the donor class of the Dems.

DO U EVEN MARXIST BRO? Have you heard of the Lumpenproles?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

That would offend the donor class of the Dems.

DO U EVEN MARXIST BRO? Have you heard of the Lumpenproles?

I should mention that the goal is to silence said donars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Crowsbeak posted:

Thesis: I should mention that the goal is to silence said donars.

Antithesis: How are you going to do that without guns? Guns are required to silence the donor class.

Edited for proper dialectics.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crowsbeak posted:

You're living in a dream world if you think giving up gun control will make the Republicans budge on anything.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

You're living in a dream world if you think giving up gun control will make the Republicans budge on anything.

Well its not about so much appealing to Republicans, as its is recognizing that Gun control is mainly used by the owners of capital to disarm the disadvantaged.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/845627811327098881

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

:marc:

Wow. She even called herself the CEO of the city. Way to make yourself seem like a progressive leader.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Awesome 👏

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

She ran on a $15/hr platform smdh

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JeffersonClay posted:

To civilized right wingers like JC here, the problem isnt Trumps policies, its that he does them in a loud and vulgar way that spooks people. Doing evil is fine so long as you do it quietly

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

To civilized right wingers like JC here, the problem isnt Trumps policies, its that he does them in a loud and vulgar way that spooks people. Doing evil is fine so long as you do it quietly

well duh, that's the problem. Hillary and Obama may have voted for giant fences to keep illegals out and deported massive numbers of immigrants, but they did it in a non-racist way. Therefore making it ok.

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't keep our country safe??

/s

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

She ran on a $15/hr platform smdh
Read article, yeah she's a liar cause she ran on that platform, probably knew what she was advocating may not work while campaigning a la Trump, which is lovely, though it makes sense to raise wages with the State which is getting it over $10 in a year, otherwise businesses could just move out of the city, which is a little harder if the state all raises the minimum wage.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/846054140304392192

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

The policies are substantively different, and you can tell because undocumented women were significantly more likely to report violence to the police under Obama than Trump. Erasing that by saying they're both equally evil is intensely stupid and not just a little bit sexist.

Let's take your argument to its logical conclusion. You think any immigration policy that restricts a nonzero number of undocumented immigrants from entering and remaining in the country with barriers on the border and deportations is immoral and evil. You think there's no important moral difference between two immigration policies with those features, regardless of the substantive impact of those policies on the undocumented population currently residing here. So you're claiming the only moral immigration policy is one that allows for unrestricted immigration from every country for any reason. That's not a policy we can plausibly sell to the electorate, particularly working class rust belt voters.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Obama was literally splitting up families and his administration argued that TODDLERS could defend themselves in court for fucks sake!

Like yes Trump is more evil, but what the Democrats have been doing has been pretty evil itself and lesser of two evils-ism doesn't loving work with human rights abuse. By the very fact that immigration and refugee advocates didn't have faith in Clinton or the Democrats.

You can scream Trump is the worst all you want and out might be the only thing you aren't wrong about, but when the come back to you is the Democrats also arguably violated human rights and all you can do is keep saying how much worse Trump is. Well you've lost because it turns out people don't really care if the alternative to chaotic evil is lawful evil.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

*pragmatically look at the obviously correct choice?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

The policies are substantively different, and you can tell because undocumented women were significantly more likely to report violence to the police under Obama than Trump. Erasing that by saying they're both equally evil is intensely stupid and not just a little bit sexist.

Let's take your argument to its logical conclusion. You think any immigration policy that restricts a nonzero number of undocumented immigrants from entering and remaining in the country with barriers on the border and deportations is immoral and evil. You think there's no important moral difference between two immigration policies with those features, regardless of the substantive impact of those policies on the undocumented population currently residing here. So you're claiming the only moral immigration policy is one that allows for unrestricted immigration from every country for any reason. That's not a policy we can plausibly sell to the electorate, particularly working class rust belt voters.

Oh my goodness. It's not sexist to correctly point out that obama deported more people than republican presidents before him.

Grow the gently caress up.

Democrats are the GOP-lite party. Just accept it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

we can't. hillary said it won't happen. that the US will never ever have single payer

she wasn't lying was she?

does it take republicans getting elected for the dems to take their jobs even the slightest bit seriously?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Let's take your argument to its logical conclusion.
Does JeffersonClay arrive at "toddlers are not capable of legally defending themselves, and a government that claims they can is engaged in a horrific miscarriage of justice?"

quote:

You think any immigration policy that restricts a nonzero number of undocumented immigrants from entering and remaining in the country with barriers on the border and deportations is immoral and evil. You think there's no important moral difference between two immigration policies with those features, regardless of the substantive impact of those policies on the undocumented population currently residing here. So you're claiming the only moral immigration policy is one that allows for unrestricted immigration from every country for any reason. That's not a policy we can plausibly sell to the electorate, particularly working class rust belt voters.

...no, for some odd reason his defense of proclaiming toddlers fully cognizant of their crimes against the democratic party, blessed and eternal be its reign is "I'm too scared to run any other ideas that past rust belt whites."

What a glorious commitment to pluralism.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Oh my goodness. It's not sexist to correctly point out that obama deported more people than republican presidents before him.

Grow the gently caress up.

Democrats are the GOP-lite party. Just accept it.

You think any immigration policy that includes deportations and a border barrier is GOP-lite, and we're never going to be able to sell unrestricted immigration from everywhere to the electorate.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I do give him credit for stones, though. Saying what the DNC needs to offer to minorities is more and more vicious plans of deportation, putting walls up across the border in exchange for the policies he REALLY wants to see implemented, all while simultaneously claiming to be the True Defender of the Disenfranchised?

That's a spicy take right there!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

You think any immigration policy that includes deportations and a border barrier is GOP-lite, and we're never going to be able to sell unrestricted immigration from everywhere to the electorate.

Yes? What the gently caress? A border wall that serves no purpose than to kill families that can't afford to be smuggled by coyotes? Deporting innocent refugees for the crime of crossing the border? Are you insane??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

so lets see thats gun control, minimum wage increases, and immigrates you're willing to give up on for your glorious centrism, how much longer until we uncover your total lack of principles

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
You're decending deep into dumb leftist territory there, friend.

Obama's immigration policy was not perfect. It was significantly better than any immigration policy we could expect from a republican. There are marginal improvements we could make to his policies, but "no border, no deportation, unlimited immigration" is not a plausible position for democrats to advocate.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yes? What the gently caress? A border wall that serves no purpose than to kill families that can't afford to be smuggled by coyotes? Deporting innocent refugees for the crime of crossing the border? Are you insane??

Seriously, JeffersonClay believes the secret to getting democrats back in power is watering down the empty platitudes to the disenfranchised, all in the hopes of picking up the racist vote.

Hillary 2020: Build The Wall, But Maybe Five Feet Shorter Than Trump's Version, And Some Of The Guards With Shoot-To-Kill Orders Patrolling It Will Be Women.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You should give up gun control because its a complete loser of an issue and really its just a smoke screen for Democrats to avoid having to address income inequality which hits minorities like a sack of hammers.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Obama's immigration policy was not perfect. It was significantly better than any immigration policy we could expect from a republican.

but it was worse than previous democrats. what's wrong on calling obama out on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Obama's immigration policy was not perfect. It was significantly better than any immigration policy we could expect from a republican. There are marginal improvements we could make to his policies, but "no border, no deportation, unlimited immigration" is not a plausible position for democrats to advocate.

What? He was significantly worse than his republican predecessors!

No one is saying "no border and no deportations", but Hillary demonizing refugees and boasting about voting for a wall, coupled with Obama's terrible record on deportation, aren't better than what republicans have done.

Trump is worse, but man, wouldn't it be fantastic to have democrats just for once not be the GOP-lite?

• Locked thread