Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I'm thinking I need to do some envy essence crafting for my KOTF dude, about how much should I budget for buying essences? I assume it'll take a while to get good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

my lvl 49(?) tornadoshot / frenzy ranger r.i.p'd in one shot by brutus in cruel

what is a fun hc build to do, that i should do next, as a poor player

Explosive Arrow Pathfinder is fun as hell. EA damage scaling doesn't bother with flat added damage or weapon attack damage, so you're free to itemize just about as defensively as you need to. the base items for it are hella cheap too, excluding kaom's heart but there are cheaper effective alternatives for body armor too once you get to that point.

for brutus and other dangerous physical damage enemies, look into getting a granite flask. they're fairly rare to drop in low difficulties, but common enough at high levels that they're available on trade for a single alchemy orb. reroll the mods until you get "% increased armor during flask effect" and you can have a free 5k-7k armor for boss fights. it's especially nice for brutus because you can activate the flask after getting hooked in time to mitigate the big hit that follows

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

I sank all my money into gear for my new Frost Blades alt and it turns out i hate everything about Frost Blades

I did the same thing, except on standard with a spare juggernaut. It cost me nothing but my time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Sure it's just a coincidence

Use the timg tag ffs

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ashes of the Czech Republic

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The way of exile, taking place in Walcras

Lmao

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So, I've never actually made it to maps. Is there a guide to getting through stuff quickly? Not necessarily power leveling, that's never an issue, it's just getting through the acts that feels slow to me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just keep moving. Avoid side quests that don't give skill points (or respec if your build is going to change to CI later). Find that list of zone markers that clue you into the exit for zones if you don't know them already. Farm levels in Ledge or Dried Lake if you're getting too far behind.

I'm no where near record breaking, but the thing that helped me the most speeding up was just realizing that your goal is to get to maps, so you can make more money by killing more interesting poo poo than clearing out leveling zones. So just pop a quicksilver and keep going.

While that will still be true under the new system, at least we'll have 5 acts we haven't repeated a billion times, and less repetition per league soon!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Run past the random filler enemies and only kill big packs of magic/rare enemies. Aim for being a few levels under the area you're in. This kinda depends on you knowing your gear and skills enough to do this without dying.
Don't go loot-crazy and only pick up gear that you need, like socket and link configurations/rare jewelry/potential weapon upgrades. Again, depends on you knowing your build.
Skip sidequests that don't give skill points.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Saxophone posted:

So, I've never actually made it to maps. Is there a guide to getting through stuff quickly? Not necessarily power leveling, that's never an issue, it's just getting through the acts that feels slow to me.

I'm still working through act 4 cruel now.

I feel you.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Saxophone posted:

This is the first time I have been doing maps. At first, just run as many maps as you can regardless of tier. Once I got up to tier 5, I had enough low tier maps to sell to get them all to tier 5. After that keep selling all your low tier maps to a vendor, or trade them to other players for higher tier maps. Then farm tier 8-10 maps. I am told anything higher is just doing it for the progress (which I plan on clearing).

J
Jun 10, 2001

Havoc is actually doing a SSF hc speedrun right now, he's in early cruel and trying to do 1-70 in under 5 and a half hours.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just died lol

e: starting a new run now

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 26, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm gonna start a SSF HC run, sounds fun as hell. Gonna do a Marauder Berserker using Cleave and Sword because class fantasy.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
my hcssf dudes so far:

74 cwc firestorm elementalist - one shot by rogue exile with 5k hp
80 EQ slayer - popped by volatiles (was otherwise unkillable at up to tier 7 or so, 6k hp with fort/decent armor/crazy leech)
69 LA raider - died to bleeding as soon as i began leveling at merc lake cuz i was gonna update my flasks right before mapping

it's a lot of fun and i have an icestorm dude and mortem morsu ST guy on the build up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My bow assassin has 5.8k life, almost 20k evasion, arctic armor, and a shitload of leech and I still get killed all the time in red maps. This means I have to get good right

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 26, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

My bow assassin has 5.8k life, almost 20k evasion, arctic armor, and a shitload of leech and I still get killed all the time in red maps. This means I have to get good right

I never really liked evasion as a defensive stat, because you are never going to dodge everything, and all it takes is one hit to get through.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yeah. As some guy said, evasion means you get oneshotted only 30% of the time. Better to make a build which probably can't get 1shotted (CI).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm running around with 4.5k on my Windripper right now, with high 50s dodge, 30k evasion, and AA. My saving grace has been split arrow/blind/culling. I fire it before every major pack, randomly into breaches, and regularly at bosses and tough rares. Blind is so good.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I heard some people talking about varanustra gladiator 1h crit or something like that, anyone feel like hooking me up with that build?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

I heard some people talking about varanustra gladiator 1h crit or something like that, anyone feel like hooking me up with that build?

Mathil did that last league, he started with Earthquake and then moved into BladeFlurry : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDNJK2N6hw

And then moved from Varunastra to a Bino's : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyXa2NUqfQ

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Soothing Vapors posted:

I sank all my money into gear for my new Frost Blades alt and it turns out i hate everything about Frost Blades

What gear did you buy? Maybe it can be repurposed?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
alkaizer hit 100 in LHC with a crit foil, The Surrender and Red Nightmare Gladiator. You're basically doing the same thing with a few node changes to better support the Varunastra and not getting the nodes for the red nightmare until you can afford it

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
The only gear specifically for frost blades I can think of would be the threshold jewels and touch of anguish. The jewels are obviously a wash but touch of anguish is a solid generic phys crit claw and you can do pretty much anything with it. There's a ton of alternatives that would take very little respec.

Frost blades is a pretty lame skill. There's just nothing it does very well. It's alright for pack clearing which can be said of many melee skills and it's atrocious for single target damage. The threshold jewel doesn't even begin to make up for that. Maybe if there was a dummy totem that you could chain your own projectiles off of.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gonna be honest I've kind of had a hankering to play D3 again lately

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
Died last night on my LHC guy in Act 4 Cruel. Was only level 55 but it's the furthest I made it and now I'm in the position where I need to decide if I'm going to try again with the same build (Firestorm Tank) or something new. Had fun and have a bunch of the earlier level gear in my stash, but man I was geared up well for my level and could clear anything but bosses like nobody's business. I played flame blast totem before, super boring, and did a minion build that had issues clearing large groups, so maybe I try something like blade vortex now? Hopefully since it's Sunday I can find a good group at the start to rush through normal.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Do cast while channeling scorching Ray + firestorm

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Should I buy an Agnerod East for 1726 Perandus coins? Looks like a good fit for a lightning Templar, but that's about half my coin stash and he sold me a Drillneck for only 425 or so.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Is the joining the guild information in the OP still accurate? IRC seems pretty dead. I'm in as RonaldMcStabald and looking to rejoin the guild for the cool league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

palecur posted:

Should I buy an Agnerod East for 1726 Perandus coins? Looks like a good fit for a lightning Templar, but that's about half my coin stash and he sold me a Drillneck for only 425 or so.

thats a decent price on an agnerod and was not a great price on the drillneck. check poe.trade for coin:chaos rates and what the items cost before you buy them

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Awesome! posted:

thats a decent price on an agnerod and was not a great price on the drillneck. check poe.trade for coin:chaos rates and what the items cost before you buy them

Well, I'm SSF so trade prices are kind of irrelevant to my experience, alas.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Then your question should be "Am I going to use this now, or is this a build defining item for something I want to play?" because otherwise it doesn't matter what he's selling or how much it costs when the value is only to you.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Good point; I'm getting enough Perandus leaguestones that I decided I'd be able to replenish the stash and bought it. I'll start fiddling about with a lightning-centric Templar build and see if I find something I like.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Ciaphas posted:

Gonna be honest I've kind of had a hankering to play D3 again lately

I occasionally play a season and level a dude. I burn out super hard cause there's not much to do once you collect your set gear and run a few rifts.

Just doesn't have Poe's staying power

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Impermanent posted:

Is the joining the guild information in the OP still accurate? IRC seems pretty dead. I'm in as RonaldMcStabald and looking to rejoin the guild for the cool league.

Yes it is all quite accurate. Perhaps you can try reading the next couple of lines in the OP and try actually contacting an officer before declaring it all dead lol.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just posting a character name here seems to work too though. unless you happen to have the officer who is trying to invite you blocked.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Will this be the league that I finally get a Shav's??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

*checks coffee remains* No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

gonadic io posted:

You can always hope to be around when someone quits the league and gives all their stuff away. Someone in the guild got a Chayula's Presence and a Shav's that way.

• Locked thread