Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dimebags Brain posted:

Where the gently caress do I get pristine screws? I'm 8 away from maxing out all the weapons.

I got 1 in the little area directly outside the resistance camp in the start of route C. I'm fairly sure it was from a goliath biped.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Snak posted:

That's really weird.

It's a real lovely soft-lock. I don't want to have to redo 20 hours of gameplay but it looks like thats where I'm at.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
pretty sure you can skip that sequence anyhow. also i disagree with your voice choices but respect that you exist

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

alcharagia posted:

pretty sure you can skip that sequence anyhow. also i disagree with your voice choices but respect that you exist

Holding to skip just skips the delay before the recording moves on, literally can't skip it and have no control of anything.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you just wait it out during the first cycle 9S says he has to stop recording after like 5 minutes or something. Have you tried waiting it out?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Tarezax posted:

If you just wait it out during the first cycle 9S says he has to stop recording after like 5 minutes or something. Have you tried waiting it out?

Oh man, it worked! Thanks so much for this. After seven minutes of looping it finally gave up and moved on. I owe you a beer or something.

Still one of the weirdest bug situations I've ever seen. Stuck in a recording of something I did wrong an entire game ago.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm glad Nier Automata added a sequel to Fishing Issues with the opening sequence.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Is the self-destruct actually even for anything? It doesn't even actually kill you when you use it iirc. Like is there any gameplay use or is it just pure story fluff?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sunken fleet posted:

Is the self-destruct actually even for anything? It doesn't even actually kill you when you use it iirc. Like is there any gameplay use or is it just pure story fluff?

It's an AOE attack that sets you to 1HP and staggers you.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

sunken fleet posted:

It does a shitload of damage to everything around you but leaves you at 1 HP. It's a decent desperation move if you remember you have the option.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the map, Kaine's house has to have been moved. If the desert is where Facade used to be, and the oil rig is where the junk heap used to be then Aerie should have been somewhere near the resistance camp if I'm remembering correctly. Which would place Nier's home village somewhere in the forest, possibly under that castle.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What on earth does 'down-attack up' do? What is a 'down attack'? Is it when you're in the air and smash your sword down fast at the end of an air combo?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

sunken fleet posted:

I think it's my rig but I had the black bars around the edges of my screen the whole game, kind of frustrating. There was a fan patch that fixed it but when I used it I started crashing every 30 minutes or so - so I went back to having black bars on the edges of the screen. PC gaming boys and girls :shepicide:

EDIT: I am a dumb and didn't read. If you're using an Nvidia card, you can at least make the black borders go away by setting display scaling to "GPU" in Nvidia control panel. This doesn't actually make the game render at native res like it's supposed to, it just upscales the image so it fills the screen instead of being surrounded by borders.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 26, 2017

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

redreader posted:

What on earth does 'down-attack up' do? What is a 'down attack'? Is it when you're in the air and smash your sword down fast at the end of an air combo?

Yes.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, stupid question- I have a sneaking suspicion that once I finish the first few routes, Route E is going to force me to delete my save game in order to view it. Am I safe if I clone my save to multiple slots in the save menu, or do I need to actually manually copy the save data into a different folder?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It will ask you to but won't force you to.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, stupid question- I have a sneaking suspicion that once I finish the first few routes, Route E is going to force me to delete my save game in order to view it. Am I safe if I clone my save to multiple slots in the save menu, or do I need to actually manually copy the save data into a different folder?

Deleting your save is an option given to you after ending E, to which you can decline and then go get ending E again later.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh good, thanks for clarifying. I was assuming it'd be like Nier, where you get all the way to the final ending and then it goes "Btw, delete your save or view no further".

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Playing route c and I just got ending M. That was loving hilarious.

edit: not actually hilarious. I seem to have lost about 2-3 hours of gameplay since it literally pushed me back to my last save. :saddowns:

edit 2: oh my god I did so much chip grinding and chip optimization which is gone. I am so mad. Definitely ditching this game for a week or so, fuuuck this.

edit3: What happened: I didn't go to help pascal immediately, decided to look for the desert rose for popola. got an ending "a2 decided to go for a walk instead of helping pascal" and all of my progress for A2, and 9s in the tower section before that (getting the tower key) was wiped out. It started me back where 9s walked out of the resistance camp to look at the tower.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's a completely different thing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When/where does the trophy shop open up? Or is it our mobile shop friend who functions as that?

Also, other than the pipe and the pod is there anything else important you can get from fishing?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When/where does the trophy shop open up? Or is it our mobile shop friend who functions as that?

Also, other than the pipe and the pod is there anything else important you can get from fishing?

After you get your third non-joke ending, and no, I don't think so.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The machine mask lady at camp starts selling them after getting Ending C or D

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending Y and Fishing are the only trophies I need till I get platinum

Any suggestions on getting Black Pearls and Gold Ore? I need 4 B. Pearls which sure whatever I can hopefully get lucky in the sunken city but Gold Ore gently caress if I know I need a whopping 16 hunks of the stuff

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending Y and Fishing are the only trophies I need till I get platinum

Any suggestions on getting Black Pearls and Gold Ore? I need 4 B. Pearls which sure whatever I can hopefully get lucky in the sunken city but Gold Ore gently caress if I know I need a whopping 16 hunks of the stuff

The vendor at Amusement Park sells gold ore late into the story

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

The vendor at Amusement Park sells gold ore late into the story

Oh neat, can hop on over there then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh neat, can hop on over there then.

Also black pearls. You can basically buy everything between that guy and Emil except pure water because gently caress you.

So I just finished playthrough C and oh man that was a trip. I'm going to get like 99% or something I guess before I go for D and E endings The emil fight doesn't give me E, does it? Or rather if I do that it won't unlock E for me? Also I don'e like 9S. He's kind of a poo poo, I'm glad I got to punch him in the face until he died for a few seconds.

EDIT: Also are there any guaranteed spawns of the 4x kamikaze desert medium flier? I can't find one for the life of me.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, end-endgame spoilers- In ending C/D/E, is there anything I missed that definitively establishes whether Popola lives after her poorly-explained hacking adventure? For some reason I really wanted both twins to get a happy ending

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, end-endgame spoilers

They dead

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Aw man- I know ending E is so uncharacteristically happy for a Yoko Taro game that the price had to be paid somewhere, but that sucks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Omi no Kami posted:

Aw man- I know ending E is so uncharacteristically happy for a Yoko Taro game that the price had to be paid somewhere, but that sucks.

Or the pods could put them back together but leave them feeling guilty forever :twisted:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I feel really bad for everyone who's been having issues with the PC fan-patch. It completely saved the port for me - fixed the fullscreen resolution bug and made it run better thanks to the global illumination setting. The modder recently updated it to feature a better frame-limiter than the one that comes with the game, too.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, end-endgame spoilers- In ending C/D/E, is there anything I missed that definitively establishes whether Popola lives after her poorly-explained hacking adventure? For some reason I really wanted both twins to get a happy ending

They did get a happy ending. They died doing something that they know absolves them of all the guilt they've been burdening for thousands of years. Or they no longer have to burden the guilt cuz they're dead. Either way, thats better than nothing, right?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

idiotmeat posted:

They did get a happy ending. They died doing something that they know absolves them of all the guilt they've been burdening for thousands of years. Or they no longer have to burden the guilt cuz they're dead. Either way, thats better than nothing, right?

That's true... I know this is completely antithetical to what Taro loves about storytelling, and if they had actually gone with this I would've criticized it, but after all the BS they've gone through I really wanted to see them both get a happy ending and retire in a less explodey way.

Unrelated, but I just finished Route/Ending E, and I'm confused about a central point: how exactly did 2B and 9S's relationship work? I could understand if she were a general-purpose cleaner, but it implied that she had specifically been assigned to 9S; were the 2B/9S an intentionally matched pair, and there are hundreds of them running around the world, killing their 9S whenever he trips over the wrong information?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

idiotmeat posted:

No that makes it worse. They died atoning for something they didn't even do! Saying that is like saying the conclusion where Pascal dies is a happy ending because he doesn't have to suffer anymore

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

That's true... I know this is completely antithetical to what Taro loves about storytelling, and if they had actually gone with this I would've criticized it, but after all the BS they've gone through I really wanted to see them both get a happy ending and retire in a less explodey way.

Unrelated, but I just finished Route/Ending E, and I'm confused about a central point: how exactly did 2B and 9S's relationship work? I could understand if she were a general-purpose cleaner, but it implied that she had specifically been assigned to 9S; were the 2B/9S an intentionally matched pair, and there are hundreds of them running around the world, killing their 9S whenever he trips over the wrong information?

My understanding is 9S is a special new model that has a tendancy to find truths he isnt supposed to. So B2 is set up as his partner to kill him whenever he digs too deep. I dont think there are multiple 9S since he isnt the same as the real S models. In the B route they say they are considering mass producing his model due to his recent success though. Also in A/B ending B2 seems to let it slip she has killed 9S multiple times which makes her break down over 9S dying for a second time less ridicilous. Basically whenever 9S digs too deep they reset him, but B2 keeps her memories and gets partnered with each other over and over again.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Iretep posted:

My understanding is 9S is a special new model that has a tendancy to find truths he isnt supposed to. So B2 is set up as his partner to kill him whenever he digs too deep. I dont think there are multiple 9S since he isnt the same as the real S models. In the B route they say they are considering mass producing his model due to his recent success though. Also in A/B ending B2 seems to let it slip she has killed 9S multiple times which makes her break down over 9S dying for a second time less ridicilous. Basically whenever 9S digs too deep they reset him, but B2 keeps her memories and gets partnered with each other over and over again.

The mass-production line is a translation error; what he actually says is that they're increasing his model's rate of production, which somewhat implies that he isn't a one-off. I know he's super-new, but there are other S models in the world (one of them is a quest giver). And yea, she's definitely killed him multiple times, I think her exact phrase is something like "watching you die again and again," which is why I was confused; the implication seems to be that she's offed him tons of times, which seems weird to me; it seems like she's assigned to him on a permanent basis (which is most likely, since re-examining their sidequest dialog makes it obvious that she's explicitly steering him away from avenues of investigation she's seen him hit upon before).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

What's the drop rate cap anyway?

It's 90% I think, the game tells you when you hit it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
I am still a little confused here. According to the twins' memories it was pretty much well known that humanity was kaput before the server on the moon was set up. That happened even before the aliens came. Is it the thought then that with the creation of project yorha all future androids will be yorha units and non yorha androids who knew the real deal would gradually die off?