Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ferrari owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just watch this on a loop if you didn't quite finish yourself off before the end of the GP

https://streamable.com/vncge

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mercedes didnt have anything this race and Lewis hosed up his tyres earlier. If only Kimi would have driven his car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

A good race. I'm enjoying this Seb.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Now TV hosed up?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lance Stroll did well for a forced bad start

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

Lance Stroll did well for a forced bad start

Compared to what? A cadaver?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Compared to your lame behaviour in awe of a grand master of motor racing!

e: gently caress Vettel

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Pretty cool day to be Antonio Giovinazzi tbh

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Just watched the highlights on sky. Seemed like a dull non-event?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any word on repercussions for the bogan track invasion while cars were still on the cool down lap?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 26, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

blunt posted:

Just watched the highlights on sky. Seemed like a dull non-event?

It was your average Australian GP. People tend to forget that the excitement for it is based on the pre-season build up and that it's a track that's always been bad for overtaking. If it were in the middle of the season it would be one no one really looked forward to. It was worth watching live just because we had no idea what was going to happen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Unless you have this threads hate for Lewis, and this threads awful memory for how terrible a winning seb is, then yes it was dull as gently caress

The only meaningful overtake was in the pit lane, and the possible excitement of drivers catching others quickly disappeared as they couldn't pass

Last year's race was amazing, and had a poo poo ton of passing (and no the majority weren't drs) so I don't really buy the 'it's Australia' argument

I'm not writing off the season but holy poo poo you guys wouldn't be banging on about an amazing race if it was ham overtaking vet in the pits

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Perez overtook people, and there was a three way battle for 10th with some overtaking.

It's overwhelming relief that this season looks like it's just not going to be one driver loving off into the distance. Three years of that just sucked. Even with red bull they only had a dominant car two out of the four years so we had some chuffing respite.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Any word on repercussions for the bogan track invasion while cars were still on the cool down lap?

The funny part to me as someone there was people were still trying to jump barriers and squeeze through the slots in the photographers areas once they'd opened up the actual gates so I just walked 50m further on and overtook everyone to get a good view of the podium.

(I did not actively boo Lewis but I'll admit I was silent)

Bonus Ricciardo on the way back to the pits, the people weren't standing up there specifically for him but still makes a good photo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

I'm not writing off the season but holy poo poo you guys wouldn't be banging on about an amazing race if it was ham overtaking vet in the pits

The Mercedes not being unassailable, roaming around in a 1-2 position unchallenged in a power-save engine mode, is what's exciting.
[a different car] winning, in a race outcome based on race-pace, by a margin, is exciting for the sport.

Maybe we won't see the constructors wrapped up by Europe?

Your reading skills are for poo poo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The result is great, the race not so much

If all I cared about was the result I'd just look it up afterwards

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The racing was exactly average for the Australian GP.

It was fun watching it with the worst thread, and I don't think having a little joy and enthusiasm in watching a sport you love, even if it wasn't the best race Ever, is a bad thing tbh.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

It was your average Australian GP. People tend to forget that the excitement for it is based on the pre-season build up and that it's a track that's always been bad for overtaking. If it were in the middle of the season it would be one no one really looked forward to. It was worth watching live just because we had no idea what was going to happen.

Just to be a smart rear end. If this race was in the middle of the season it would own because it would be winter and most likely a wet race.

Race was boring to be at today. Even my friend who is a massive Ferrari fan said that was a boring race.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you found it boring you are objectively bad at watching F1.
You don't need overtakes to tell a story.
Hell, the story of why there were none is interesting itself.

If you didn't at least get to half mast when Vettel pulled out in front of Hamilton you're in the wrong thread.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Haven't really been following F1 in years, never mind watching the races. Dunno why really, probably because I haven't been a real fan of anybody since Schumacher.

Going to try watching this year though, see how fellow Flemish bloke Vandoorne will be doing. Compared to Alonso at least, comparing to the rest of the field seems a waste of time.

Speaking of which, it's still a tragedy Alonso doesn't have a better car, Hamilton vs. Vettel vs. Alonso would be a lot of fun. Not that this is news to anyone I guess. I'm kinda hoping Red Bull becomes a tad better, Verstappen in the mix would be great too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

If you didn't at least get to half mast when Vettel pulled out in front of Hamilton you're in the wrong thread.

It's also misleading to suggest that there was "none" because there was some, including Perez's excellent moves. That doesn't include the Ocon/Alonso battle either.

Also seeing F1 cars be properly fast again and glued in the corners is satisfying as well.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

freeranger posted:

Just to be a smart rear end. If this race was in the middle of the season it would own because it would be winter and most likely a wet race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJZ_AKoMVtM

uXs posted:

Haven't really been following F1 in years, never mind watching the races. Dunno why really, probably because I haven't been a real fan of anybody since Schumacher.

Going to try watching this year though, see how fellow Flemish bloke Vandoorne will be doing. Compared to Alonso at least, comparing to the rest of the field seems a waste of time.

Speaking of which, it's still a tragedy Alonso doesn't have a better car, Hamilton vs. Vettel vs. Alonso would be a lot of fun. Not that this is news to anyone I guess. I'm kinda hoping Red Bull becomes a tad better, Verstappen in the mix would be great too.

Red Bull had a bad weekend, but they're probably not as bad as it portends. If Ricciardo hadn't decided he liked the idea of car callisthenics halfway through P3, he probably wouldn't have had the issues he had.

I'm looking forwards to Vettel vs Hamilton. Should be good. I don't think Vettel is going to out qualify the Mercs in every race, and when he doesn't he's going to be seriously hard pressed to outperform Hamilton. Bottas had a really good race, but he seems to do Albert Park pretty well so it's entirely possible he's not going to be a thing beyond the "Eddie Irvine factor".

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

uXs posted:

It really is. Check out how many times he's been within striking distance only to have it slip through his fingers for one reason or another (2007, 2010, 2012) or just not having a competitive car (2013).

He's had at least 6 years where he's driven with the quality to win a WDC, but only had it pay off twice and time is running out on his career and McLaren doesn't seem like they'll deliver for him. :smith:

I have a suspicion that his eventual record at the end of his career is going to sell his talent short.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
This must be only the 3rd time in the last 60 races that Mercedes were straight beaten without mechanical failure or crash/racing incident. The others being; Malaysia 2015, but the caveat there was that Merc were cooking the tyres in the heat, and Singapore 2015 were Seb was brilliant and Mercedes a bit poo poo.

Thats worth getting excited about!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It wasnt only the tyres. Vettel could have pushed more and passed Hamilton in the track, he never had the car to get away, Bottas either but Kimi was slow i dont know why. The fact that the Ferrari could stay longer and undercut Mercedes for me was because they where straight better this weekend.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

DoctorGonzo posted:

Kimi was slow i dont know why.

Alain Post posted:

Current Fraud of the Year contenders:

1) Magnussen
2) Raikkonen

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns.

That they do, very much indeed.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Perez overtook people, and there was a three way battle for 10th with some overtaking.

It's overwhelming relief that this season looks like it's just not going to be one driver loving off into the distance. Three years of that just sucked. Even with red bull they only had a dominant car two out of the four years so we had some chuffing respite.

There were lots of 3 way battles for lower positions in the last 2 years and those dismissed as not being important to the quality of the race. This race was ok but it wasn't really any more or less exciting than most races in the last 10+ years, just because it's a different car winning comfortably.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

People only want overtakes to be done by the favourite drivers. Nobody was moaning about the lack of overtaking when Hamilton was complaining that there was "no way past" Verstappen after the pitstops.
People complain about DRS being push-to-pass and artificial overtaking, generally suggesting they have literally no idea about how difficult it is to pull off overtakes on competitive rivals.

I personally really enjoyed the race and I'm glad I dragged my rear end out of bed at 5 to watch it with the miscreants of this thread. I'm expecting good things from the rest of this season.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey dummies. F1 hasn't been about sick passes in ages. Stop loving watching if that's what you expect?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Watching a "battle" between two drivers on different strategies wherein the commentators shout breathlessly about things like "the gap is 23 seconds!" is exactly what F1 is supposed to be. NASCAR starts at 3:50 EST if you want to watch cars constantly pass each other for three hours.

That race owned, Ferrari owns, Magnussen is trash.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm was impressed with Giovanezzi.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Watching a "battle" between two drivers on different strategies wherein the commentators shout breathlessly about things like "the gap is 23 seconds!" is exactly what F1 is supposed to be. NASCAR starts at 3:50 EST if you want to watch cars constantly pass each other for three hours.

That race owned, Ferrari owns, Magnussen is trash.

I can't wait for the regulars to complain about how terrible it is and how the new format is garbage!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Norns posted:

Hey dummies. F1 hasn't been about sick passes in ages. Stop loving watching if that's what you expect?

I'm here for spectacular (but hopefully safe) accidents.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

blunt posted:

I'm here for spectacular (but hopefully safe) accidents.

Lance Stroll is your man of the season to watch then!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think we can all agree that Kimi is trash and needs to retire ASAP

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

How far back was he at the end? I couldn't tell since they loving DIDN'T HAVE TIMINGS...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

How far back was he at the end? I couldn't tell since they loving DIDN'T HAVE TIMINGS...

22.393s. His teammate could've had a pit stop and finished ahead of him

• Locked thread