Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

idiotmeat posted:

I am still a little confused here. According to the twins' memories it was pretty much well known that humanity was kaput before the server on the moon was set up. That happened even before the aliens came. Is it the thought then that with the creation of project yorha all future androids will be yorha units and non yorha androids who knew the real deal would gradually die off?

Anyone that knew the truth for sure had their memories erased and anyone who didnt know for sure would just believe YorHas lies about humanity actually being on the moon. For most androids humanity dying out was just a rumor, they never said it officially.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sunken fleet posted:

I think it's my rig but I had the black bars around the edges of my screen the whole game, kind of frustrating. There was a fan patch that fixed it but when I used it I started crashing every 30 minutes or so - so I went back to having black bars on the edges of the screen. PC gaming boys and girls :shepicide:
I've just been using this: https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases/tag/8.4

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

No that makes it worse. They died atoning for something they didn't even do! Saying that is like saying the conclusion where Pascal dies is a happy ending because he doesn't have to suffer anymore

I always read Weight of the World as being sung by Popola or Devola right as they're dying. Makes sense in my head at least.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, I just finished ending E and I feel like my brain has been put through a blender. Although the gameplay itself had some weak spots, with regards to concept and story this is probably one of the best games I've ever played. Also, one of the most intense. I'm gonna go play Dark Souls3 now to calm down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gerblyn posted:

So, I just finished ending E and I feel like my brain has been put through a blender. Although the gameplay itself had some weak spots, with regards to concept and story this is probably one of the best games I've ever played. Also, one of the most intense. I'm gonna go play Dark Souls3 now to calm down.

I'm half rushing to get 100% before that drat DLC comes out. I'm pretty excited for the rad fire sword and dark souls 2 references.

Also the idea of rare spawns in this game are the worst. I just spent an hour hunting for one specific dude and it never spawned in.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nina posted:

No that makes it worse. They died atoning for something they didn't even do! Saying that is like saying the conclusion where Pascal dies is a happy ending because he doesn't have to suffer anymore

It owns actually. I see it as characters from the last game getting a redemption arc, but it's not actually them just two that look like them and have the same name. I love this game so much

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

It owns actually. I see it as characters from the last game getting a redemption arc, but it's not actually them just two that look like them and have the same name. I love this game so much

The whole bit was a great inversion of their ending act in the first game, right down the music being a more heroic swell as opposed to the heavy drum beats of their boss theme. Them basically dying asking A2 if they had finally helped was, to me at least, less to do with redemption for the devola and popola models as a whole but more for them to prove that they had a purpose, for someone to recognize them rather than just poo poo on them for being the same type of android as the OG devola and popola. Since, after all, no matter where they went they were treated like poo poo. Even in the resistance camp everyone just passively tried to get them to go on suicide missions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

The whole bit was a great inversion of their ending act in the first game, right down the music being a more heroic swell as opposed to the heavy drum beats of their boss theme. Them basically dying asking A2 if they had finally helped was, to me at least, less to do with redemption for the devola and popola models as a whole but more for them to prove that they had a purpose, for someone to recognize them rather than just poo poo on them for being the same type of android as the OG devola and popola. Since, after all, no matter where they went they were treated like poo poo. Even in the resistance camp everyone just passively tried to get them to go on suicide missions.

That's a good reading. You think it was intentional that you would probably have tree sap by the time you do their sidequest? It was a confusing moment when they told me to go get tree sap and that it was guarded by this hostile machine and then as soon as I was done talking to them the quest updated and 9S was talking about getting the tree sap they needed.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redreader posted:

Playing route c and I just got ending M. That was loving hilarious.

edit: not actually hilarious. I seem to have lost about 2-3 hours of gameplay since it literally pushed me back to my last save. :saddowns:

edit 2: oh my god I did so much chip grinding and chip optimization which is gone. I am so mad. Definitely ditching this game for a week or so, fuuuck this.

edit3: What happened: I didn't go to help pascal immediately, decided to look for the desert rose for popola. got an ending "a2 decided to go for a walk instead of helping pascal" and all of my progress for A2, and 9s in the tower section before that (getting the tower key) was wiped out. It started me back where 9s walked out of the resistance camp to look at the tower.
The most time i ever lost was a bit over an hour because i had taken out my "view save points" plugin chip around that part of the game and missed that the game gives you multiple "saving available" spots along the way. It does, however, not autosave. So that's entirely on me, and replaying the section on easy while skipping all cutscenes took only a fraction of the time. I wish there was a plugin chip that showed you the "time since you last saved" to really drive home the urge.

idiotmeat posted:

They did get a happy ending. They died doing something that they know absolves them of all the guilt they've been burdening for thousands of years. Or they no longer have to burden the guilt cuz they're dead. Either way, thats better than nothing, right?
I love this Yoko Taro definition of that

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-nier-automata-director-taro-yoko-w472664 posted:

Q:Your games are typically considered very dark, yet you don't share that view. Why do you think your definition of a "happy ending" differs from most people?
A: happy ending to me is where each of the characters fulfill their desires. That is even if the story or the characters are dark and gloomy. Even if their wish is a twisted one, I believe that the person would be happy if they were able to carry out his or her own will. That is even if the ending did not end up as a happy ending for you, the player.
So yeah it's very tragic since they aren't actually to blame, but they were desperately looking for redemption and ultimately got their wish, however quaint or unjust that actually appears to the player.

And it also fits with [E] being the happy ending for the player because you (as the pod) literally blow up the entire Dev team to defy their narrative and end on a more optimistic note.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 26, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's a good reading. You think it was intentional that you would probably have tree sap by the time you do their sidequest? It was a confusing moment when they told me to go get tree sap and that it was guarded by this hostile machine and then as soon as I was done talking to them the quest updated and 9S was talking about getting the tree sap they needed.

I think it's just an unfortunate oversight, I had the same thing happen to me. Someone pointed out that the machine still spawns in the forest if you want to go fight it though. At that point in the game almost any quest that wanted you to gather regular items I already had, even their desert rose one I had two already. The assumption is probably that players would just be powering through the story and not collecting much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gerblyn posted:

You should play the original, if you have a 360 or a PS3. Gameplay and quality-of-life wise, it's a lot rougher around the edges, but I think the character dynamics work much better.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Nuebot posted:

Everything that happened to D&P was an injustice and a total rear end in a top hat move by the rest of androidkind. They had nothing to prove.

Instant Grat posted:

You should play the original, if you have a 360 or a PS3. Gameplay and quality-of-life wise, it's a lot rougher around the edges, but I think the character dynamics work much better.

Characters are definitely the strong point. It's a much more character driven story. Even though Automata has fun sidequests I miss the ones in the original where fun party banter was pretty much the real reward.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

redreader posted:

What on earth does 'down-attack up' do? What is a 'down attack'? Is it when you're in the air and smash your sword down fast at the end of an air combo?
Is this true? I always assumed it was the circle prompt attack when enemies are stunned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm just sad there's not a small chance of Emil casually driving through or around in the A/B final boss fight and cutscenes. That would really set the mood!

One funny thing that I had happen in the Route A final boss: I rode a moose into the fight. After the cutscenes it didn't despawn and instead was trapped in the boss arena running around terrified during the fight. I lost track of it during the later phases and wondered if it had escaped. But after the fight I stumbled across its dead body. Sorry moose...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What does the "Ht" "Lt" stuff mean for weapons, and does it matter which weapons I choose for my light and heavy attacks?

Also, is there a trick to hunting down specific materials, or is it just typical grinding? I'm looking to upgrade Ancient Overlord, but the mats just aren't dropping or spawning.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 26, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Middle/late route C stuff.

I wasn't really paying attention and accidentally advanced the plot before i could do the quests to bring presents and build something to play on for the village children. I'm so sorry little guys, i could have brought you some joy before your final overwhelming despair but i let you down. I'm so sorry.

And then i erased Pascal.

I need to go for a walk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

What does the "Ht" "Lt" stuff mean for weapons, and does it matter which weapons I choose for my light and heavy attacks?

Also, is there a trick to hunting down specific materials, or is it just typical grinding? I'm looking to upgrade Ancient Overlord, but the mats just aren't dropping or spawning.

That's the number of swings you get in a combo depending on which slot you equip that weapon in. Each weapon type generally has different movesets for each equip slot so experiment and find out what you like.

You can try and learn what enemies drop what materials (or look it up online) but honestly I think it's best to just use what weapons you can upgrade until you get to the end of the game when you can just buy all the upgrade materials.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Pollyanna posted:

How many hits are in the heavy and light combos.

Pollyanna posted:

Eventually, all weapon materials will be available for purchase (except one weapon needs beast hides, but just kill some moose and boar for that). Otherwise, equip a Drop Rate chip, and if you're far enough in the game to have unlocked the merchant that sells them (they'll show up in the resistance camp at one point), buy the chip that makes items automatically get picked up like money, so you don't have to constantly stop-and-start to pick them up manually.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

I feel really bad for everyone who's been having issues with the PC fan-patch. It completely saved the port for me - fixed the fullscreen resolution bug and made it run better thanks to the global illumination setting. The modder recently updated it to feature a better frame-limiter than the one that comes with the game, too.

Can I set the framerate to 144 and does that gently caress with the gameplay in any way?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Papercut posted:

Can I set the framerate to 144 and does that gently caress with the gameplay in any way?

No, it's capped at 60 - it was developed primarily for a console that's used with 60Hz displays. This is just in terms of making the game run more smoothly.

While I was looking for a post with more detailed info, I found out that the modder in question also seems to have discovered why the cutscenes are so stuttery (they're pre-rendered and run fine if you extract them and view them outside of the game itself). So it's only uphill from here.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Regy Rusty posted:

But after the fight I stumbled across its dead body. Sorry moose...
:negative: That's the most tragic thing i've heard. Eat your heart out, Route C

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can use Cheat Engine to go above 60fps on PC but it's tied to game speed so you go super sonic speed. It's been known since the PS4 Demo that the cutscenes are pre-rendered though so it's an issue with their playback on PC, for whatever reason.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's been known since the PS4 Demo that the cutscenes are pre-rendered though so it's an issue with their playback on PC, for whatever reason.

Quote from the guy who made the PC mod/fix I was talking about :

Kaldaien, on the Steam forums posted:

Full Motion Video stuttering problems appear to have been completely eliminated by switching the framerate limiter from Sleep to spinlock.

I really get the impression that console developers don't know the first thing about multi-tasking operating systems :-\ Don't use Sleep in the render thread! =P

And about >60FPS:

Kaldaien posted:

No, people cannot easily turn down settings to increase FPS.

The engine hitches much too often for that to actually work, there's a practical ceiling not much higher than 60 FPS where CPU overhead is insurmountable and no amount of setting lowering will fix.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Combo video (:siren: spoilers :pcgaming:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKZEWf6jQJM

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Incidentally, the reason for the white screen bug on PC is that the game's engine doesn't know how to respond to driver crashes. Occasionally, your GPU may push itself too hard and cause a driver crash - most games know how to recover from this and reload the driver, so you barely even notice anything's happened. This one doesn't, and so if it's happening often for you, the only real solution is to turn down your GPU's base clock to avoid the issue.

:captainpop:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My main complaint with the game so far is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to work with OBS. I've tried fixes that work for other people and still either just get a static image of the loading screen or a white screen.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Unfortunately you can't do the same thing as with the Metal Gear Rising pc port and just delete the 25 gig fmv movie folder for subsequent playthroughs because unlike Revengeance the engine won't simply skip the missing videos seamlessly but frequently has scripting break and just softlocks permanently. :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Unfortunately you can't do the same thing as with the Metal Gear Rising pc port and just delete the 25 gig fmv movie folder for subsequent playthroughs because unlike Revengeance the engine won't simply skip the missing videos seamlessly but frequently has scripting break and just softlocks permanently. :(

The FMVs don't contain any sound - the game plays them and syncs them up with the sound manually. I know sometimes the background music or some sound effects from the gameplay bleed over into the pre-rendered stuff, but surely that could just be played on top of the sound that's contained in the movie file itself.

Japanese developers and PC ports, man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No Wave posted:

Yeah, forty five minutes before a save point is how games should be made, especially if the PC version is noticeably buggy. We should all suffer for art.
This but unironically

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Instant Grat posted:

The FMVs don't contain any sound - the game plays them and syncs them up with the sound manually

Japanese developers and PC ports, man.
I really don't think thats a "japanese devs" thing, that's how video containers with multiple audio (language) tracks work generally when played back dynamically. Of course I'm not really reasonable in the first place to expect the game to gracefully handle me removing half of its assets anyway, even if it sometimes works out surprisingly well. It just turns out the game frequently does other stuff like loading or triggering scripts in the background while it shows you that FMV and skipping that does Bad Things.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 26, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Square-Enix has a really hit-or-miss history with console ports. FFXIII-2 was one of the jankiest piles of poo poo I've ever played on a PC. Getting a smooth framerate without hitching required me to do a ludicrous series of maneuvers: plug in a controller, start up the game, close the game, unplug the controller, start up the game again, and then plug in the controller while the game was running - and this still only worked some of the time. Conversely, FFXIII-3 may as well have been developed for PC with how smoothly it ran.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I really don't think thats a "japanese devs" thing, that's how video containers with multiple audio (language) tracks work generally when played back dynamically.

That's what I'm saying though, there are no audio tracks in the FMVs at all, it all comes from the game's other resource files where (presumably) all the other sounds and voices and music for the rest of the game are stored.

Vermain posted:

Square-Enix has a really hit-or-miss history with console ports.

Squeenix published it, Platinum developed it. Different studio.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the only upgrade materials that I need that I haven't seen sold anywhere are the pristine screws and beast hides. Everything else I've been able to purchase at one point or another.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think the only upgrade materials that I need that I haven't seen sold anywhere are the pristine screws and beast hides. Everything else I've been able to purchase at one point or another.

I think the traveling merchant has pristine screws in one of his loadouts after you get the third non-joke ending. Either that or it's the amusement park robot.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Instant Grat posted:

I think the traveling merchant has pristine screws in one of his loadouts after you get the third non-joke ending. Either that or it's the amusement park robot.

yeah he's got two sets of upgrade materials

one set when he's tooling around near the highway to the factory, and the other which is super rare high end materials when he sells weapons and such near the resistance camp. Although like you said I think you have to get ending C/D to unlock the materials.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Instant Grat posted:

That's what I'm saying though, there are no audio tracks in the FMVs at all
Oh, i misread that then, my bad.

I'm hoping they'll manage to iron out the pc port's technical issues people have - that obviously suck on every level and are inexcusable - sooner than later, though i don't know what SE/Platinums track record on (caring about) this is. Hopefully ~~180k owners on steam are enough to set their priorities straight.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh, i misread that then, my bad.

I'm hoping they'll manage to iron out the pc port's technical issues people have - that obviously suck on every level and are inexcusable - sooner than later, though i don't know what SE/Platinums track record on (caring about) this is. Hopefully ~~180k owners on steam are enough to set their priorities straight.

They've said they are "aware of the issues and investigating", but on the other hand, everything apart from the white screen issue and the occasional stutters have been fixed by the FAR mod. Obviously those are still sizeable issues, and even though I've had a relatively pain-free experience (three crashes over ~58 hours of play), that certainly hasn't been the case for everyone.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh my god that soundtrack cue in the (Route A spoilers) BECOME AS GODS boss fight. :allears:
Keiichi Okabe is the man.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Instant Grat posted:

I've had a relatively pain-free experience (three crashes over ~58 hours of play), that certainly hasn't been the case for everyone.
Yeah same here. I just want them to address and fix the growing perception of this being a somewhat risky port ASAP so people can get turned off the game by actually designed dick moves instead of technical issues. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Honestly Automata deserves some kind of award for sound design just based on all the modifiers on the different tracks and how they work in the field.