Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Navalny has been arrested a bunch. Think he might be more dangerous dead than alive, which is why he's still alive. But I'm not going to bet the farm that the Kremlin wouldn't turn his lights off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think Putin might be in a more precarious position than the conventional wisdom over here assumes.

First, the thing with Navalny that makes him dangerous to kill is that he's unlike other opposition figures (who have wound up dead). He's actually more nationalistic than Putin. This takes some explaining. The Putin system is not all that centralized, but is actually a weird, hybrid, federalized regime with local bosses existing in a clientistic relationship with the Kremlin.

Ramzan Kadyrov -- Chechen gangster, reality T.V. show host and the world's no. 1 Jean Claude Van Damme fan -- is one of these guys: a local strongman. There are a lot of these local and regional bosses all over Russia enriching themselves. And corruption is endemic and everyone hates it except the bosses. So Navalny's politics are especially potent because (a) he's anti-corruption (b) he's a nationalist and wants to get rid of this clientistic form of federalism.

The big wild card here is Trump. Because first of all, Putin has reaped benefits from exploiting anti-Americanism -- how can he now blame the opposition as the patsies of the United States now that Trump is in power?

Second, Putin has been able to punch above his weight on the world stage by being unpredictable, which carried political benefits at home -- now the world is reacting to Trump. Third, Trump's own insurgent rise to the White House might be causing Putin to worry that Russia's opposition will be inspired by that.

Also Russia's economy sucks.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
The Russian economy doesn't just suck. It loving really sucks. It makes the southern delta regions of Mississippi seem like Dubai.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Their continued possession of nuclear warheads and delivery methods scares me shitless. Especially after getting a peek at their nuclear C2 in that book The Dead Hand.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crossposting from C-SPAM thread:

A worthwhile read over whether it is proper to question the President's good faith in his oath to uphold the constitution as well as the DOJ's argument that you should not question it or psychoanalyze the presdient, but with some notable tells:

-Pointing out that his cabinet officials didn't say things as outrageous as Trump
-Saying everything he said pre-oath doesn't count, and only what he said post-oath does
-That second point opens them up, should he lose control and call something a Muslim ban or tweet a bunch of poo poo or, I dunno, say at a rally that the new EO is a watered down version of the old EO and maybe we should go back to the old one

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

Crossposting from C-SPAM thread:

A worthwhile read over whether it is proper to question the President's good faith in his oath to uphold the constitution as well as the DOJ's argument that you should not question it or psychoanalyze the presdient, but with some notable tells:

-Pointing out that his cabinet officials didn't say things as outrageous as Trump
-Saying everything he said pre-oath doesn't count, and only what he said post-oath does
-That second point opens them up, should he lose control and call something a Muslim ban or tweet a bunch of poo poo or, I dunno, say at a rally that the new EO is a watered down version of the old EO and maybe we should go back to the old one

I don't know, might read that after breakfast, but this question-headline-journalism really pisses me off.

"Did the Justice Department Just Admit Doubts Over Trump’s Oath?"

Well, I don't loving know, did it, or did it not? you're the loving journos, maybe quit the dumb cluckbaitey bullshit?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/845985360165421056?ref_src=twsrc^

Jesus loving christ, that's embarrasing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/846016099829366784

Guccifer 2.0 is the "person" that's actually the Russian hackers, and suddenly Roger Stone is saying it's a "her". Haven't seen that one before.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There was a daily beast article a month ago, maybe a few others, that talked about her and I believe they managed her to answer a few questions, I'll see if I can find it
Edit: my mistake, mixed it up with a different story: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/30/did-this-mysterious-female-hacker-help-crack-the-dnc.html

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 26, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I'm assuming that she told him to go gently caress himself and that's why he sat around in a sulk and refused to shake her hand.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Was it like a bill like the kind I get from the electric company?

I hope someone releases a copy of it :pray:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I want to know who the check was supposed to be made out to.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I'm not buying this at all.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TBeats posted:

So I wonder if he sent a bill to Norway, Denmark, France, Britain, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemberg, Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Greece, Turkey, Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania, Canada and Iceland?

I'm sure I forgot someone.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I'm not buying this at all.

Why? It's no secret that Trump & co. hate Merkel, not to mention Bannon's boner for destroying the EU.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want that bill story to be real, and for her to release a copy. I wonder if it is partially to do with that article that referred to her as "the leader of the Free world" instead of him.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

not to mention Bannon's boner for destroying the world.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Leader of the Free World looking good early.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/846035049405464577

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Those headlines after Merkel's visit in American newspapers must've infuriated the orange trashgoblin.

Dude, he really hates the EU, even more than the rest of the world in general: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-steve-bannon-destroy-eu-european-union-214889

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 26, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That story omits the part where a Trump aide held out an iPhone equipped with a Square paychip for Merkel to swipe a card.

bloops fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 26, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

cowboy elvis posted:

That story omits the part where a Trump aide held out an iPhone equipped with a Square paychip for Merkel to swipe a card.

And then the Europeans spent 15 minutes acting smug that it wasn't a chip and pin system

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Re: the last two posts, I have no idea if they are true or not but I totally believe them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TBeats posted:

Re: the last two posts, I have no idea if they are true or not but I totally believe them.

The last one definitely is, because we tend to be dicks about transactions that require no personalized confirmation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

There's that principle for a day story where the chess team was raising money for a trip so he handed them a hastily scrawled giant fake check for a million dollars. Then actually gave them something like $200, well below what they needed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Uhhhh I hope this isn't true. Wasn't the USA protecting the dam from ISIS?

https://twitter.com/Raqqa_SL/status/846047726836092929

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump might think WW3 means he can be president longer since that's how it worked out in ww2.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Different dam, this one is up-river of Raqqa. The one you're probably thinking of is the Mosul dam.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Prop Wash posted:

And then the Europeans spent 15 minutes acting smug that it wasn't a chip and pin system

Slightly related, I use square and the bluetooth chip/NFC reader. It's pretty loving sweet.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That seems awfully weak for an AC-130?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bolow posted:

That seems awfully weak for an AC-130?

105 mm at best, what are you expecting?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

105 mm at best, what are you expecting?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Two Finger posted:

why do people do this :(

Office Pig posted:

Mental health care is in stellar condition.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Did you dudes know we only have one megaton class warhead in the nuclear stockpile anymore? And it's a "measly" 1 megaton gravity bomb at that.

We can still gently caress up Russia but we've left the era of ending humanity way in the past.

This.. saddens me.

Make America Great Again let's start with our nuclear warfare capability.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Obama was getting pretty hot on mass shootings by the time he left office. Has Trump said anything about this one at all?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Two Finger posted:

Obama was getting pretty hot on mass shootings by the time he left office. Has Trump said anything about this one at all?

I'm sure he will shoot his mouth off about radical Islamic terrorism as soon as his golf game is over.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Two Finger posted:

For maximum chaos: Trump starts advocating gun control legislation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Never mind don't wanna gun control chat wooohooooo dog pic

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gaze upon Ted Koppel's massive balls.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/846061762751401984

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
That was a good watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zeris posted:

That was a good watch

• Locked thread