Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Apparently the UK is about to announce a similar ban as well

gotta keep the security states seeming useful

we have always been at war with african laptops

i love totally credible yet strangely nonspecific threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I'd like to give the DOT/FAA the benefit of the doubt. It is a bit amusing to see American libertarians completely up in arms about this, though. It's an annoyance compared to the people turning it into a political issue, conspiracy theories about the US carriers trying to blackball the ME3, and overreach of the security apparatus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can talk myself into this being, in part, about A4A vs ME3.

This is going to be super annoying, though. Looks like my Aus travel is west through LA rather than east through Qatar now.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

The diversity of carriers at LAX going to Australia/NZ is great so no matter where your loyalties lie, there's something for you. Virgin Australia's new business class looks fantastic. But I have to say that after flying them, Qantas has an extremely mediocre business class product.

And honestly, I think even the US carriers all up their game on the Australian routes. It's a very profitable route so it tends to get the best services. When I flew Delta, they even handed out pyjamas! And I read somewhere that AA had a kind of caviar service to match Qantas in First!!! I used to do this route a lot a few years back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delta transpacific has PJs now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Qatar Biz has PJs too. I still wear mine when it's cold out

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm gonna have to go back to Japan to get me some PJs!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I guess we really are in a bubble

(I really like my Cathay F PJs)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe an LAX thing? Or a HND thing? I've been flying SEA-NRT, PDX-NRT a lot and never got a PJ on those, either direction.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
MIA is my home airport and I haven't seen that poo poo in years. Idk

E: the American Airlines app is pretty nice. Finally downloaded it

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

pig slut lisa posted:

Apparently the UK is about to announce a similar ban as well
And Canada!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Waroduce posted:

E: the American Airlines app is pretty nice.

It is not.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KLM's app is nice because it is the only one that greets me when I open it :unsmith:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

KLM's app is nice because it is the only one that greets me when I open it :unsmith:

You should get out more.

The best airline app is, hands down, United. The breadth of information it provides is superior to anything else in the market today. Now if only the airline itself were as great.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mackieman posted:

You should get out more.

The best airline app is, hands down, United. The breadth of information it provides is superior to anything else in the market today. Now if only the airline itself were as great.

The terminal maps never load for me on the united app. They work really well on the AA app, all except for Denver. It never loads Denver.

United clubs suck compared to AA admirals clubs (which isn't saying much). I've not been in one united club that had available seating, completely run out of food/utensils/plates and forgot to replace it, except SFO , but even then the food area was overcrowded and ran out of coffee. It also didn't give me any discount for being premier gold and cost $600, while I could've gotten AA lounge for $450 as a platinum. Thankfully work reimburses for the lounge, otherwise why would anyone buy a membership?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

You should get out more.

Agreed on both counts. Delta's is pretty good too. But United is simply the best, hands down. You can do full rebooking for flights without it having to pull up a mobile browser.

Air New Zealand's is great because you can order coffees in the lounge with it. (They have baristas in their lounges.)

I'm probably switching back to Star Alliance next year. My travel is going to be cut back I think, and Star Gold is a much more realistic level for me.

While I could maintain Delta Gold/Skyteam Elite Plus, it's pretty crap, especially since Skyteam doesn't allow lounge access on domestic itineraries.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 22, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Qantas biz lounge at SIN was great when I went there. Other that that agreed, completely mediocre

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Huh he didn't mention oneworld

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

The diversity of carriers at LAX going to Australia/NZ is great so no matter where your loyalties lie, there's something for you. Virgin Australia's new business class looks fantastic. But I have to say that after flying them, Qantas has an extremely mediocre business class product.

And honestly, I think even the US carriers all up their game on the Australian routes. It's a very profitable route so it tends to get the best services. When I flew Delta, they even handed out pyjamas! And I read somewhere that AA had a kind of caviar service to match Qantas in First!!! I used to do this route a lot a few years back.

Qantas business on the A380 and 747 is starting to get tired as its not all aisle access and its just old now but their service is still better than any American airline.

Their new business seat is much better though.

Currently sitting in Sydney airport waiting for a storm to pass. Love spending longer at the airport than my flight takes.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Agreed: service on Qantas is fantastic, even if in business class the food is meh and the seats suck. I honestly think it's one of a few airlines worldwide where economy class is top-notch in comparison to business.

Also: I really get annoyed at Chile. Every year it's the same crap with the government and daylight savings time, airlines freaking out and nobody knowing what time it is in Santiago. A lawyer friend one time had to call Santiago to make sure what time it is for an important conference call, because even Google didn't know. Latino concepts of time, I guess :rolleyes:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

i fly airplanes posted:

Also: I really get annoyed at Chile. Every year it's the same crap with the government and daylight savings time, airlines freaking out and nobody knowing what time it is in Santiago. A lawyer friend one time had to call Santiago to make sure what time it is for an important conference call, because even Google didn't know. Latino concepts of time, I guess :rolleyes:

I don't understand. Do they pick a date to change the clocks without announcing it beforehand or something?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
cmon now you could've googled that in the same amount of time it took to post the question

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo this has to be the most generic corporate looking plane I've ever seen: good job Alaska Airlines. RIP Virgin America.

pig slut lisa posted:

I don't understand. Do they pick a date to change the clocks without announcing it beforehand or something?

Basically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I find virgins current scheme really gaudy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's bad?

What's good then?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The design of the inside of the plane is on the bottom of any list about things I care about.

That mood lighting was cool for a minute then I realized I was on a plane again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing I care about is that white or very light seats look tragic after about a year in service.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
My favorite brand feeling is the American safety video FA

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If only other videos can be like Air France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N3J6fE-0JI

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably alone on this one, but I still like Delta's meme safety video. And by "like", I mean its my least hated one.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Design is an important part of the overall travel experience, if not one of the most important things. It's probably the biggest difference between a good airport and a bad airport, a good airplane and a bad airplane. Mood lighting works. Otherwise, airlines would not be spending millions on retrofits to Boeing 737s for the Sky interior and so forth. This was one of the first things people noticed about in the Dreamliner.

Also Qantas and Air NZ have pretty good safety videos.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Incredibly disingenuous of Hilton to put me in this room and call it an upgrade, imo

e: Now I have a bird's eye view of a Trumpcare protest on Wacker. The room is good again.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 23, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ha, Londonhouse, eh?

I did a lot of fist shakin' when I opened the curtains and saw that, but it was back in September when things were just a little more sane.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
First airplane ride of the year is coming up next week. Opened up the Delta app, and lmao I rolled over 22k MQMs, so I'm just gonna be $1900 from Silver after the trip.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pig slut lisa posted:

Incredibly disingenuous of Hilton to put me in this room and call it an upgrade, imo

e: Now I have a bird's eye view of a Trumpcare protest on Wacker. The room is good again.

I was at that Londonhouse last December. Quite the interesting view...

The bathroom layout was terrible though. A sliding glass door that was on tracks about 1 1/2 or 2 inches away from the wall. Who the gently caress thinks that's a good, or even okay, idea?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Tacking on to my question upthread about Dublin... My flight lands at 8:50 on a Tuesday morning and I'm wondering what is the earliest train ticket I could buy out of Heuston station and be confident I'll have cleared customs and made it to the train station. Looks like trains for the route leave every hour on the hour. I'm thinking 11 but that's assuming I'll be out of the airport by 9:30 or so.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 24, 2017

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thoguh posted:

Tacking on to my question upthread about Dublin... My flight lands at 8:50 on a Tuesday morning and I'm wondering what is the earliest train ticket I could buy out of Heuston station and be confident I'll have cleared customs and made it to the train station. Looks like trains for the route leave every hour on the hour. I'm thinking 11 but that's assuming I'll be out of the airport by 9:30 or so.

I didn't scroll up, but assuming the worst case (that you're on a non-EU passport, the line takes some time, your bag is slow) I'd figure that you will make the 11 high-90-some percentage of the time. This is assuming you're just grabbing a taxi from the Airport to Heuston. If you had planned on the bus to Busaras and then the Luas red line that number is probably in the high eighties. Also, I'm assuming you'll already have your train ticket and so can just sprint on the train.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JohnCompany posted:

I didn't scroll up, but assuming the worst case (that you're on a non-EU passport, the line takes some time, your bag is slow) I'd figure that you will make the 11 high-90-some percentage of the time. This is assuming you're just grabbing a taxi from the Airport to Heuston. If you had planned on the bus to Busaras and then the Luas red line that number is probably in the high eighties. Also, I'm assuming you'll already have your train ticket and so can just sprint on the train.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll be buying the train ticket in advance. Currently planning on taking the bus in to town but I'll taxi if time gets tight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Global entry renewal requires another interview? Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Global entry renewal requires another interview? Great.

I didn't have to do one for it last year, although the only time I've cleared customs since then was at the cruise terminal here. The Global Entry line was just one agent who didn't have a computer for your questionnaire, didn't take your declaration form, and didn't have any way to validate that I was actually GE, so…?