Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CharlesM posted:

OK, when I reset the phone, it didn't go back from the slow ring, it's still in that. Well I've tried and it almost works, but when I use my voice to reply to a text, Cortana says "Something's not right. Try again in a little bit".
edit: or "I ran into a snag. Try back in a little while."
Right after she asks me what I want to say in my reply. I wonder if it's not got voice recognition on by default.

I think it's just broken in this build. I've got a little bluetooth dongle that goes into my aux-in and Cortana suddenly can't reply to texts via voice. Started a couple of days ago.

Super loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK well I got a replacement device because my charger port was loose so no need to figure out how to go back to production :)
Alternate Bluetooth audio worked, although I thought I had tried that, ha.

edit: Why doesn't Microsoft sell a replacement battery for this phone? It's like they hate me.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 9, 2017

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Tivac posted:

I think it's just broken in this build. I've got a little bluetooth dongle that goes into my aux-in and Cortana suddenly can't reply to texts via voice. Started a couple of days ago.

Super loving annoying.
Last week I did a search for a phone number, clicked and it couldn't launch the dialer (nothing happened) until I rebooted.

Also, could not connect to my working WAP or fall back to cellular data. No weather app for you! Also had to reboot to fix.

Last night they asked me what I thought of the build. I asked if they could turn the code base over to Google or Apple.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
If you want to roll back to production builds you'll need the device recovery software. It's a pain. It will put the first WM10 build on, and you'll have to update all your apps and the OS. Apparently HP updates their ROM for the DRS so you don't have to do that, but MS hasn't figured out how yet, or they don't care enough.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, something I should have complained about a long time ago, BUT WHY DID THEY MAKE THE CHARGING INDICATOR TINY AND NOT ON THE GLANCE SCREEN? ugh

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I got an HP Elite X3 from Swappa a few weeks ago, because I'm willing to buy other peoples purchasing mistakes and make them my own!

The hardware on it is great. Much much better than the Lumia 950 XL, it actually feels like a premium phone. The fingerprint sensor on the back is nice, and even the Iris scanner on the front is faster. Not having glance is meh, but getting back into the phone quicker with the fingerprint sensor makes up for it. Also, the camera is not as good as the Lumia, but it works well enough that it's not a major issue. It's serviceable. The front-facing speakers are great, and can get very loud, and the display is one of the better ones I've seen on phones too. Hell, even the dock is nice.

Biggest issue? It runs Windows Phone. And with that, I couldn't recommend it to anyone. But if you can find it for less than MSRP like I did and you, for whatever reason, want a newer Windows Phone, it's pretty good. But having said that, it won't replace my iPhone 7+ as my daily driver.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm trying to hold onto my Icon as long as I can and was gung-ho about getting an iPhone 7 Plus as my next phone, but that Pixel XL caught my eye. Looks like a really sleek phone; much more elegant and easier on the eyes than my girl's Galaxy S7. If I ever went Android, it would be with that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

But having said that, it won't replace my iPhone 7+ as my daily driver.

Why buy a phone you won't use daily? Just a development device?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Why buy a phone you won't use daily? Just a development device?

Mostly, yeah. I have a Nexus 6P for the same reason. Nice to have around when I do dogfooding of Xamarin stuff.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

Mostly, yeah. I have a Nexus 6P for the same reason. Nice to have around when I do dogfooding of Xamarin stuff.

So this is what this thread has come down to, the only reason to buy a Win Phone is if you work for MS. And even then only as a dev. device not to carry.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

So this is what this thread has come down to, the only reason to buy a Win Phone is if you work for MS. And even then only as a dev. device not to carry.

I've owned and used Windows Phones before the company I work for got acquired by Microsoft. I'm a developer who's made apps for several platforms, and generally like trying out different devices. I'm not most consumers. For them, I would say not to buy into this platform right now because there's a good chance it won't have the apps they want or need. Microsoft could change that by marketing out devices more and making developing for the platform more compelling, for example, but they are not right now.

The Elite X3 is not aimed at consumers at all. It's for enterprise and for that it might be a good fit. Hell, the hardware and software are made for it, and setting it up for my work accounts was a breeze compared to iOS and Android, which is expected. You're probably going to be given the phone rather than buying it, but you can if you want to. And if you're super into Windows Phone, and understand the current state of its apps and are cool with it, then it's a good buy. Most people are not either of those cases, so they shouldn't get it, even though the phone itself is quite nice.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

I've owned and used Windows Phones before the company I work for got acquired by Microsoft. I'm a developer who's made apps for several platforms, and generally like trying out different devices. ...

The Elite X3 is not aimed at consumers at all. ...

Oh understood I'm the same. Also BTW thanks for the product I love it and shill it every chance I can get.

And at one point I worked to launch Windows Phones on a carrier. I made some money in the WinPho 7 market place and was a booster until 6 mo into Win 8 it was obvious MS was already pulling back. But the Elite X3 isn't meant for consumers and the only WinPho 10 devices were never supported or marketed. We're nearly 2 years into WinPho 10 and there is an appearance of no plan nor intended support. I think it's possible Win32 on ARM + Continium could really help WinPho but it's in such a rough spot it's hard to even suggest to multiplatform developers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Weird question: I an upgrading from a Nokia 920 and I want to extract the default wallpapers / backgrounds for the lock screens, as some of them are pretty great. They're not in the Pictures folder or such, even though there are "sample photos."

Googling this is kind of annoying because it mostly shows answers to desktop Windows default wallpaper locations.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Stick100 posted:

I have run windows mobile/phone on Verizon for over 10 years at this point; by choice mind you, not due to work or being a developer.
Samsung i730 (wm5) -> HTC 8X (wp8) -> Nokia 928 (wp8) -> Nokia Icon (wp8+wp10)

I am looking forward to the rumored surface phone and if that fails to exist my only hope will be the HP phone becoming available on Verizon at some point. :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just realized that if I make the switch to Android, that will mean that my grandmother and I will have the same kind of phone and I don't think I can have that so I'm basically stuck here.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

YeahTubaMike posted:

I just realized that if I make the switch to Android, that will mean that my grandmother and I will have the same kind of phone and I don't think I can have that so I'm basically stuck here.
If I get an iPhone I become my mother's tech support. If I get an Android phone I become my father's tech support.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Crumps Brother posted:

If I get an iPhone I become my mother's tech support. If I get an Android phone I become my father's tech support.

:smith::hf::smith: My mom is the iPhone user and my grandmother has the Android. I think my uncle is my grandmother's tech support, and my mom is undeniably more adept at using an iPhone than I am, so it could work out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My biggest gripe with Windows Phone right now is the fact that the predictive text doesn't recognise no-one as a hyphenated word, and will frequently show me every possible version of a word such as plurals and past tense but not the main word itself.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

...and will frequently show me every possible version of a word such as plurals and past tense but not the main word itself.

This bothers me to no end. I have no idea how it would prefer these modified versions of the word even when the current text hasn't spelled the base word completely or correctly. I usually resign myself to hit the plural and just backspace until I take the -s off.

I've had my Lumia 950 for a few months now, and I really like it. I will not deny that it's changed how I use my phone though. Without a lot of the major apps available, I've had to move a lot of things onto my main computers and just do without on my phone. Depending on how much of a Luddite I feel, this can be a good or a bad thing. foobar2000 mobile is really great, though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What I've done, not for that word but others, is let it autocorrect to how it wants, then select it and change it to how I want, and after a few times it figures it out.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My biggest gripe with Windows Phone right now is the fact that the predictive text doesn't recognise no-one as a hyphenated word, and will frequently show me every possible version of a word such as plurals and past tense but not the main word itself.
Lmao forgot about this. What a mess. And changing words repeatedly rarely taught it anything in my experience.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm with your phone on this one

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so the fascists over at facebook disabled the lovely messenger app we had and now were stuck with nothing at all. Is there a way to bypass them and make it work again somehow?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It seems to be working for me; what happens when you try to use it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're in the process of blocking the 8.x version, 10 is fine. You can use IE to message through the website supposedly.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Well, looks like Microsoft has finally given up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-microsoft-custom-version-2017-3

Now that you can move the back button to the left side on the S8, there's almost no reason not to get this phone as long as TouchWiz stops crashing three times a day.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When I enter "de" (the Dutch definite article), my WP has a curious tendency to suggest only one word: "poep" (which, as you might've guessed, is Dutch for poop). For the record, I have not once actually used that word on my WP.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are there any Windows phones that support Quick Charging or anything like that? Preferably something in the budget range.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bleh, I've got a bit of screen burn on my 950, at the top and bottom in the shape of the notification menu and buttons (of course).

It's not enough to be particularly noticeable, but it's another sign that if we don't have anything concrete in terms of new hardware or features (looking at you, desktop apps) by the end of the year then off to Android I must sadly go. I mean, the HP Elite is a nice phone, but for that price why wouldn't I just go to Android?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Ok so the fascists over at facebook disabled the lovely messenger app we had and now were stuck with nothing at all. Is there a way to bypass them and make it work again somehow?

Get a Nokia 5 or 6 or 8 when it comes out and get the fantastic hardware and build quality with an OS that's actually getting supported.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spatule posted:

Get a Nokia 5 or 6 or 8 when it comes out and get the fantastic hardware and build quality with an OS that's actually getting supported.

Way too early to say that is all true of the "Nokia" Android phones, especially whether they're going to be good about software support. And anyway, if you're going Android, there's no reason to stick to Nokia.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are there any Windows phones that support Quick Charging or anything like that? Preferably something in the budget range.

Lumia 950 and 950 XL support it, as does the Elite X3. Not budget phones, but you can find 950's around preowned for good prices... for a windows Phone anyway.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Lumia 950 and 950 XL support it, as does the Elite X3. Not budget phones, but you can find 950's around preowned for good prices... for a windows Phone anyway.

Noted, thanks very much.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, it charges at 5V, 3A very quickly with the included USB-C charger.

It is not a Qualcomm Quick Charge device, if that's what you mean.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21346_The_Lumia_950XL_are_not_Quick_.php

USB-C charging is better than Quick Charge though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Well, it charges at 5V, 3A very quickly with the included USB-C charger.

It is not a Qualcomm Quick Charge device, if that's what you mean.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/21346_The_Lumia_950XL_are_not_Quick_.php

USB-C charging is better than Quick Charge though.

The reason I'm asking is that our work phones are all Windows phones. The person in charge of the shift will spend several hours per day on the phone and without fast charging it takes hours to top up. I don't know if any of the handsets available with my company support any kind of fast charging.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The supplied charger is 5V @ 3A so it's pretty fast.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
A spare battery is a quick solution if your phones have removable batteries. Even upgrading what sound like worn batteries could work.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Way too early to say that is all true of the "Nokia" Android phones, especially whether they're going to be good about software support. And anyway, if you're going Android, there's no reason to stick to Nokia.

Build quality has already been confirmed at least for the 6 (JerryRigEverything on Youtube), it's stock Android and the price is very very low for the specs. In that category it's competing with the Moto G5 alone. Sounds like a spiritual successor to the Lumia 830.
But yeah, wait and see indeed, you never know.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Spatule posted:

But yeah, wait and see indeed, you never know.

Sounds like a repeat of WPhone over the years. We exist on disappointment after promises of great things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Several threads on /r/windowsphone saying that it's been privately confirmed that there will be no new development or updates on WM10 and it's now in maintenance mode for the next 24 months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/65je77/the_end_microsoft_kills_off_windows_phone_windows/

The silver lining people are trying to find is that Windows 10 on ARM will be on phones, making it like the 4th or 5th total reboot incompatible with old hardware.