Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

So McGillis is going to come out ahead in the end right? He's been pretty chill about his life's ambition falling apart around him and the words the guy in charge of Mars had about you never know how things are going to end up seem like some heavy foreshadowing.

Nah. McGillis is hosed. It just depends on which of his many, many, many betrayals ends up being the one that really bites him in the rear end. If he really is responsible for Orga, Bael vs Barbatos is probably the final battle in the show. If he isn't then he's probably going to get Gaelio'd or maybe Julietta'd. He may end up being the unintentional cause of positive change (if just by causing certain assholes in Gjallerhorn to get a hammer dropped on their faces) but he's not going to come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. McGillis is hosed. It just depends on which of his many, many, many betrayals ends up being the one that really bites him in the rear end. If he really is responsible for Orga, Bael vs Barbatos is probably the final battle in the show. If he isn't then he's probably going to get Gaelio'd or maybe Julietta'd. He may end up being the unintentional cause of positive change (if just by causing certain assholes in Gjallerhorn to get a hammer dropped on their faces) but he's not going to come out ahead.

The real question is whether Nobliss gets capped. He's a big, well-protected fish, but he's playing with some serious fire now, and if the right people come out ahead, he may find his empire rapidly evaporating.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It would be suitably ironic is he dies after betraying everyone, but ends up going down in history as a heroic martyr for a free Mars or somesuch.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
nobliss gordon is a walking example of why the lives of tekkadan were hosed up in the first place, and i hope mika gets to pulp him with his mace

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

nobliss gordon is a walking example of why the lives of tekkadan were hosed up in the first place, and i hope mika gets to pulp him with his mace

It seems more likely that Kudelia will cap his rear end. Or Gaelio will just have him arrested and executed. He doesn't seem like a very Mika sort of target.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

It seems more likely that Kudelia will cap his rear end. Or Gaelio will just have him arrested and executed. He doesn't seem like a very Mika sort of target.

I seem to remember a line like "Mika you can't go into town with your gundam" somewhere in the episode. It would be thematically appropriate if the final battle where to take place in a city, and if noblis happens to be crushed in rubble :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
edit: wrong thread

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

So McGillis is going to come out ahead in the end right? He's been pretty chill about his life's ambition falling apart around him and the words the guy in charge of Mars had about you never know how things are going to end up seem like some heavy foreshadowing.
He makes it pretty clear that his only goal is to kill Rustal. He doesn't need to win the rebellion to do that, and if he succeeds, Gjallarhorn could very well fall apart.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

rudatron posted:

He makes it pretty clear that his only goal is to kill Rustal. He doesn't need to win the rebellion to do that, and if he succeeds, Gjallarhorn could very well fall apart.

Given that the Mars Branch is still fence sitting, if McGillis manages to somehow kill Rustal and throw Arianhrod into disarray it's entirely possible that the Mars Branch would throw in behind him again and then McGillis is back on track to domination. It's a very slim chance, but it's no slimmer than Tekkadan's "sneak off to Earth to get our IDs scrubbed" plan.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Given that the Mars Branch is still fence sitting, if McGillis manages to somehow kill Rustal and throw Arianhrod into disarray it's entirely possible that the Mars Branch would throw in behind him again and then McGillis is back on track to domination. It's a very slim chance, but it's no slimmer than Tekkadan's "sneak off to Earth to get our IDs scrubbed" plan.

If McGillis somehow defeats Rustal, that doesn't change the fact that he lost most of his fighting force a few episodes ago to Rustal's Dansleifs. The fence-sitters were waiting to see who would win, if MCGillis defeats Rustal at this point, it's the fence-sitters who win.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

If McGillis somehow defeats Rustal, that doesn't change the fact that he lost most of his fighting force a few episodes ago to Rustal's Dansleifs. The fence-sitters were waiting to see who would win, if MCGillis defeats Rustal at this point, it's the fence-sitters who win.

They aren't fence-sitting anymore, they jumped on Fareed only being a McGillis by adoption to declare his status as a member of the Seven Stars null and void. Even if he murders the poo poo out of Rustal, he's not getting back on top of the pile.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Earth branch guys who declared neutrality are against McGillis, yes. I'm specifically talking about the Mars Branch, led by the guy who was given his position by McGillis and willingly looked the other way when McGillis and Tekkadan arrived at Mars after the defeat despite already knowing the truth of McGillis's heritage. The Mars Branch commander even says to his subordinate that McGillis might find a way out of this.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

The Earth branch guys who declared neutrality are against McGillis, yes. I'm specifically talking about the Mars Branch, led by the guy who was given his position by McGillis and willingly looked the other way when McGillis and Tekkadan arrived at Mars after the defeat despite already knowing the truth of McGillis's heritage. The Mars Branch commander even says to his subordinate that McGillis might find a way out of this.

Yeah, a surprise attack by the Mars branch on a leaderless Arianrohd seems like it could be a way to turn the tables. Particularly if McGillis could pull the same move Rustal did and try to turn them to his side once it became clear that their leader had been offed.

It's a super unlikely move though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Doesn't the Mars Branch consist of a station, Mobile Suits, and maybe a few ships though? They're not exactly a major outpost, they're the boonies station no-one wants to be stuck assigned to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't the Mars Branch consist of a station, Mobile Suits, and maybe a few ships though? They're not exactly a major outpost, they're the boonies station no-one wants to be stuck assigned to.

I think it has 40 mobile suits and 10 halfbeaks (Corrected). It's part of why Orga was not keen on a rematch with airanhod as they had more then twice that number for the first battle and managed to do pretty much diddly squat against them. Combined with the fact that most of their stuff was damaged and Tekkadan had lost half its mobile suits and pilots.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 23, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

40 mobile suits and 10 halfbeaks which is roughly half the force McGillis originally commanded over Earth. It's still a pretty enormous military force, especially if it was applied in a surprise attack against a decapitated Arianhrod. Realize that if McGillis managed to off Rustal and Gaelio, command would fall to loving Iok.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it has 40 mobile suits and like 8 halfbeaks. It's part of why Orga was not keen on a rematch with airanhod as they had more then twice that number for the first battle and managed to do pretty much diddly squat against them. Combined with the fact that most of their stuff was damaged and Tekkadan had lost half its mobile suits and pilots.

That's what I figured. Plus the Arianhodr Fleet still have their Dainsleifs, so anything they try in a straight fight against Rustal can be summed up as "No".

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kanos posted:

40 mobile suits and 10 halfbeaks which is roughly half the force McGillis originally commanded over Earth. It's still a pretty enormous military force, especially if it was applied in a surprise attack against a decapitated Arianhrod. Realize that if McGillis managed to off Rustal and Gaelio, command would fall to loving Iok.

but that would gently caress over McGillis even more because Iok is undefeatable

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RottenK posted:

but that would gently caress over McGillis even more because Iok is undefeatable

Iok's unkillable, not undefeatable. It's an important distinction. The only guarantee with Iok is that he'll live, and a lot of people will die.

This includes most of his own side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Iok dying while commanding a major force would be bad regardless, because his men are loyal to the point they'd ALL make suicide runs at the enemy in retaliation.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Iok is legit the only character with plot armor worth a drat, so no, he'll never die

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Iok is Patrick from 00 when the main characters aren't bland and mysterious like Setsuna and Allelujah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In the end?

McGills didn't betray Tekkaden, not even once.

We're... gonna carry this weight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It actually makes a lot of sense that it was an opportunistic on-the-spot call by a flunky rather than something planned by Nobliss. It also fits the setting for such a major character to get killed by something so incidental and stupid.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Don't get me wrong, this isn't good, but Mika is taking this a lot "better" than I thought he would. So far, at least.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So will Gaelio realize with McGilles gone that Rustal has to go as well, or will he just allow the status quo to continue to grind down everybody but the elite?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Aww Hush, you tried hard in the end. You gotta pity the Graze trying to get the coup de gras and instead copping The Big Mace from Mikazuki though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Hunt11 posted:

So will Gaelio realize with McGilles gone that Rustal has to go as well, or will he just allow the status quo to continue to grind down everybody but the elite?

It's the guy who cyberized the a madman so that he could fulfill his dream of murdering children. What do you think?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

Gaelio made it extremely clear in this episode that he doesn't give a hot poo poo about anything but revenge against McGillis.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No Iok sighting, Rustal still lives.

Mixed signals right there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

No Iok sighting, Rustal still lives.

Mixed signals right there.

Unless they suddenly surprise us with a season 3 announcement, which I don't think they will, we're on track for a very cynical ending.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

With Rustal's musing near the end of the episode, I was fully expecting Gaelio or even Julieta to have a gun pointed at his back.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

This is barrelling towards a really disappointing ending unless there's a big old pile of Arianrod corpses at the end of next week. I know the setting of the show is an absolutely unjust world, but no-one on that side deserves any of their victories.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jackhunter64 posted:

This is barrelling towards a really disappointing ending unless there's a big old pile of Arianrod corpses at the end of next week. I know the setting of the show is an absolutely unjust world, but no-one on that side deserves any of their victories.

Well they kind of deserve it in that they utterly outplayed their enemies.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

jackhunter64 posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

With the exception of letting Lok do anything, Rustal has really made no mistakes.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i was sure for a minute that it was gonna be Julietta in that Vidar mask explicitly trying to prompt McGillis into pausing and opening himself to being shot, even if she died doing it, to protect Gaelio

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I dunno that I really buy Mika suddenly going into a leadership role like that.

On paper I can see how Mika trying to emulate the one person he ever looked up to would make sense, but onscreen it doesn't ring true to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

I don't know. That would be the only way I'd feel the ending works to me. The only 'sensible' ending to me is a horrifying tragedy, maybe with some bright spots to be found. I'd be genuinely impressed if they are willing to do a Gundam show where the lovely awful thing actually happens.

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I dunno that I really buy Mika suddenly going into a leadership role like that.

On paper I can see how Mika trying to emulate the one person he ever looked up to would make sense, but onscreen it doesn't ring true to me.

It'd work better for me if there was more than an episode left.

Edit: Basically anything I have a complaint about at this point is "this really should have happened 5 episodes ago unless they're setting up for a hyper-tragedy or a third season."

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

MonsterEnvy posted:

I guess, but everything keeps lining up for them against the odds (Iok's continued survival, Julieta's millisecond perfect timing shot against Shino, the hit on Orga being unplanned but working out for them). It's just really unsatisfying for another episode to end with 'war orphans get stomped but the paedophile-enabling aristos pull it out of the bag yet again'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Julietta, as the one person in this show with moral introspection, ability, and who is not willing to give up her humanity, coups Rustal, possibly with Gali-Gali's support.

Unlikely as this is, it's the only way I see this ending without a complete bloodbath.

• Locked thread