Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Animal-Mother posted:

Fat white women is still a largely untapped well.

Adele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

GoldfishStew posted:

Wow this thread is garbage and so are most of the posters within.

Wow the stand-up comedy thread in the podcast forum is bad?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just scored tickets to see Tig Notaro in June. We've seen her once before, and she slayed, so try to catch her if she comes to your town.

Right now, Moshe Kasher is the #1 comic I want to see live that I've never seen before. I don't recall him coming to the southeast since he's been on my radar over the last few years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new Chappelle special is very good, eagerly awaiting the 2nd one out tomorrow.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The new Chappelle special is very good, eagerly awaiting the 2nd one out tomorrow.

I got good news for you: Both were available simultaneously.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just scored tickets to see Tig Notaro in June. We've seen her once before, and she slayed, so try to catch her if she comes to your town.

Right now, Moshe Kasher is the #1 comic I want to see live that I've never seen before. I don't recall him coming to the southeast since he's been on my radar over the last few years.

It's not really convenient unless you're also into music festivals, but I feel like he does Bonaroo every year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's not really convenient unless you're also into music festivals, but I feel like he does Bonaroo every year.

I feel like I'm way too old for a music festival of that magnitude, several states away.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought it was just decent for Chappelle until he got to the Cosby stuff and then it got hilarious from there. I haven't watched the second one yet but I'm looking forward to it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Age of Spin felt like a sequel to Killin' Them Softly and For What It's Worth, the Austin show just felt like a regular gig that he had professionally filmed

Both were good

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I'm hoping somebody can recommend a standup podcast for me. I'm looking for something that has comedy similar to Put Your Hands Together, minus Cameron Esposito. I've tried but just can't deal with 30 minutes of rambling about jackets and haircuts every episode. I find most of the performing comics great though!

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's not quite what you're looking for but I have to recommend Good One hosted byx-Splitsider & NY Mag's comedy expert Jesse David Fox. He plays a comic's joke and then has that person give the backstory and genesis of it. Recent eps: Tig Notaro's Taylor Dayne joke and Neal Brennan explaining the one second in Half Baked where a woman calls Hardlan William the n word.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Squack McQuack posted:

I'm hoping somebody can recommend a standup podcast for me. I'm looking for something that has comedy similar to Put Your Hands Together, minus Cameron Esposito. I've tried but just can't deal with 30 minutes of rambling about jackets and haircuts every episode. I find most of the performing comics great though!

Where you from? Lots of cities that have decent comedy scenes have podcasts like it. Toronto has the Altdot Comedy Lounge podcast but it's all local people on it. Still good, but less so if you don't live here probably.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I liked the Chappelle specials quite a bit, favoring the one in Austin just a touch.

As a result I connected the dots to Neal Brennan and watched his 3 Microphone special and I prefer that to the new Chappelle.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ohvee posted:

As a result I connected the dots to Neal Brennan and watched his 3 Microphone special and I prefer that to the new Chappelle.

Yeah I just watched this - fantastic

Did Brennan help Chappelle write jokes for his stand-up? Or did he just direct Chappelle Show and Half Baked?

The writing credits for Dave's previous stand-up specials don't list any co-writers, just Dave

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Pretty sure Jeselnik writes most of Dave's stuff these days.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
The Schumer special had funny jokes

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I just watched this - fantastic

Did Brennan help Chappelle write jokes for his stand-up? Or did he just direct Chappelle Show and Half Baked?

The writing credits for Dave's previous stand-up specials don't list any co-writers, just Dave

Neal didn't direct Half Baked. Neal and Dave wrote every sketch of Chappelle's show together. Neal helps write jokes whenever called: Dave's SNL monologue, Seth Meyer's hosting the WHCD, etc. He said in the podcast I mentioned in my last post that he mostly does that instead of being staffed on shows because he prefers it to the typical TV writers' room.

I thought Dave's LA special was miles better than the Austin one. The latter was still funny, but just seemed to be Dave touching on topical issues like Paula Deen and Donald Sterling that have aged poorly. The LA one was structured perfectly with the 4 OJ stories and the entire last 1/3rd which was devoted to his coming to terms that his idol is a monster.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DannoMack posted:

The Schumer special had funny jokes

GET HIM

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Neal didn't direct Half Baked. Neal and Dave wrote every sketch of Chappelle's show together. Neal helps write jokes whenever called: Dave's SNL monologue, Seth Meyer's hosting the WHCD, etc. He said in the podcast I mentioned in my last post that he mostly does that instead of being staffed on shows because he prefers it to the typical TV writers' room.

I thought Dave's LA special was miles better than the Austin one. The latter was still funny, but just seemed to be Dave touching on topical issues like Paula Deen and Donald Sterling that have aged poorly. The LA one was structured perfectly with the 4 OJ stories and the entire last 1/3rd which was devoted to his coming to terms that his idol is a monster.

I had no idea Neal helped Dave with the SNL gig. I read a Neal interview from a few years ago where he said he had reconciled with Dave as friends but vowed never to work with him again. I just assumed that was still the case.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Watched Hannibal Buress' show, he's probably my favorite comedian right now & I've only seen him on random TV things and that one show, but gently caress it was insanely tightly performed.

e: Comedy Camisado

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Powaqoatse posted:

Watched Hannibal Buress' show, he's probably my favorite comedian right now & I've only seen him on random TV things and that one show, but gently caress it was insanely tightly performed.

e: Comedy Camisado

Netflix has a bunch of Hannibal's stuff up to stream. All worth watching IMO.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He has his own podcast now as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The new Louis CK special was pretty good.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

Netflix has a bunch of Hannibal's stuff up to stream. All worth watching IMO.

The one that's a documentary about his 30 days of one man shows at Edinburgh was fascinating.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Burr's special was shockingly mediocre. Like, really bad for his standards.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Pretty sure Jeselnik writes most of Dave's stuff these days.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Going to see Doug Stanhope tonight.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

tumor looking batty posted:

Go you. I'm meeting my childhood dream of seeing Andy Kindler.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

tumor looking batty posted:

I need to do that one of these days before he croaks, has a heart attack, stroke, or just retires.

You know it's coming sooner or later.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I just saw ari shaffir, Bert kreischer, Nate bargatze and others at s this is not happening show. Ari's left testicle is at least 30% larger than the right one

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I saw who's line is it anyway tonight. Ryan Stiles still has it

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone go to (or going to) Bridgetown?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I like when norm gives his comedy buddies poo poo about doing "gay improv poo poo"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

XIII posted:

Anyone go to (or going to) Bridgetown?

Yes. It was fun.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Yes. It was fun.

Hell yes, it was! I flew in from Denver to help run it and it's been an amazing time. Which shows did you see?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just found out Moshe Kasher and Natasha Leggero are touring together this summer, including one gig in my stupid state! I think I'm gonna grab the wife and head down to Miami to see them.
http://moshekasher.com/#schedule

I've seen most of my favorite comedians live, but Moshe is probably the top guy I haven't had a chance to catch yet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Showtime put up the pilot to I'm Dying Up Here, their new show about Mitzi Shore and The Comedy Store in the 70s, on YouTube. It's cheesy at times but seems like it might be worthwhile given the subject material and all the comics who star on it. The lack of comics on the writing staff (only Al Madrigal) and the melodramatic storylines give me some pause though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm curious about it, but if it sucks I can just ignore it and re-read the book.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Showtime put up the pilot to I'm Dying Up Here, their new show about Mitzi Shore and The Comedy Store in the 70s, on YouTube. It's cheesy at times but seems like it might be worthwhile given the subject material and all the comics who star on it. The lack of comics on the writing staff (only Al Madrigal) and the melodramatic storylines give me some pause though.

Sounds like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Sounds like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I posted my comment about 40 minutes in and after seeing all 60 minutes, that was the first thing that popped in my head because it got exponentially worse. I'll still give it a chance... but are they really going to have the female comic visited by the ghost of her ex-bf in every episode? I bet they won't even explain whether she's imagining him or if other characters see him or if she's literally hallucinating. Seems like a device they just threw against the wall.