Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
The entire intro to Aya in Mass Effect Andromeda feels like Original Flavor Star Trek, particularly if you choose all the wide-eyed idealist lines.

This game has a billion and a half problems, but I love my silly janky Earnest Space Opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cythereal posted:

The salarian pilot is hilarious if you play as Sarah and start a romance with Suvi, the ship's science officer. Sarah is a dork and is as awkward as you'd expect trying to flirt with Suvi. Over in the next chair, the pilot has only one request after being an unwilling witness: "Kill. Me. Now."

Perhaps the only scene where the broken facial animations work better than if they were actually functional.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Killing Floor 2

- The trader comments on your performance or stuff that happened in the last round. Like being impressed when you make it through a wave unharmed (not that it's likely to happen past the first 1-2), or stoked that you killed a big zed, or she'll bring up how wounded your team is and how, hey dummy, maybe you should heal 'em.

- Pressing the reload button when you have a full magazine instead has you perform a gun check, fiddle with it, or do sick Ocelot twirls with your dual revolvers. This also applies to melee weapons, and it feels incredibly satisfying to just keep twirling my glorious hanzo steel during downtime.

- When your melee weapon has blood on it, instead of the other animation, instead you flick the blood off. And they even remembered to make it generate a blood spatter on the ground when you do. :haw:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

EVE Online is about piloting a ship around space, etc. You have the usual variety of solar systems and constellations to travel around, but there is also a thing called wormhole space - you use a probe scanner to hunt down wormholes in system, and travel through them to an unknown location which may or may not be super dangerous. Obviously these places have really good resources and loot to take, but one thing I like is that normally you have a local chat channel which shows you how many people are in the system with you, but you get disconnected from it in wormhole space, and you don't know if you are alone or being tracked which means you have to keep scanning around yourself and staying mobile to avoid being ganked.

If you are unlucky, people will just be sitting on the other side of the entry to kill anyone who comes in, but wormholes only live for a certain amount of time, and may collapse unexpectedly which cuts off entry from that point.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

EVE Online is about piloting a ship around space, etc. You have the usual variety of solar systems and constellations to travel around, but there is also a thing called wormhole space - you use a probe scanner to hunt down wormholes in system, and travel through them to an unknown location which may or may not be super dangerous. Obviously these places have really good resources and loot to take, but one thing I like is that normally you have a local chat channel which shows you how many people are in the system with you, but you get disconnected from it in wormhole space, and you don't know if you are alone or being tracked which means you have to keep scanning around yourself and staying mobile to avoid being ganked.

If you are unlucky, people will just be sitting on the other side of the entry to kill anyone who comes in, but wormholes only live for a certain amount of time, and may collapse unexpectedly which cuts off entry from that point.

Don't they cut off exit as well so end up stranded in empty space forever?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

From what I read about it, a new entry/exit to a different location gets generated, but it may have new restrictions on it like 'only small ships can enter', so some people could get stuck if they were unlucky.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
RimWorld has been a surprisingly charming game so far.

Like all world builder and pawn simulators there are some issues of dumbshittery but those have been mostly benign and hilarious as well.

I tore the still beating heart from a raider who attacked my base after borrowing his Kidney, Liver, Lung, Legs, Arms and eyes. Had an older colonist in dire need of a new ticker, schedule the operation everything goes smoothly but to get the colonist in question to behave and lay down long enough to be operated on I had to force them into bed, once the surgery was finished I released that force thinking they will remain in bed of their own accord.

Nope, immediately falls the gently caress out of the bed in an unconscious state, my trusty rescue husky rushes over to save them and bring them to a bed, half-way across the colony, while the colonists doctor rushes to try and get them back into bed, while a third colonist noted the wounded one needed food, so a dog was rushing away a freshly heart transplanted colonist while a dude with a TV dinner and another lady with a stethoscope rushed after it. Such a good boy.

This is also the same husky whom in an attempt to show its awesome skills off rushed into a fresh forest fire event to "retrieve" a dead animals body. And whom held an invader in place in melee, despite my best attempts to not get it to go into combat, because my three man fire team with LMG's had just got set up. Lost his tail in that barrage.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's kinda weird thinking about the fact that chances are there's at least one actual member of the Yakuza who played one of the Yakuza games and got new ideas on how to gently caress a person up and actually went on to do it at some point

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

From my limited experience with Yakuza 0, it seems like Yakuza only recruit the most helpful and insightful people around.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

From my experience with Yakuza, everyone in the yakuza that's not a protagonist should be shot into the sun immediately.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Samovar posted:

Favourite thing in Yooka-Laylee. They were going to have Jon Jafari as a guest V.A.

Now they're not!

Edit: whoops, autocorrect. What the hell is a 'Nagari', anyway?

favourite thing about yooka laylee
25% of their customer base said they weren't going to buy it with JonTron in it but would have anyway.
now 25% said they aren't going to buy it with him out but will do anyway.

favourite thing about gaming in general
having the dev team pull up neogaf and laughing at every loving person posting.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

From my experience with Yakuza, everyone in the yakuza that's not a protagonist should be shot into the sun immediately.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Just in case this is a spoiler for Yakuza. Seems like the helpful ones are no longer Yakuza

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

FAROOQ posted:

If this has been recorded for posterity, I would like to see it please.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvkiN3t71w&t=87s

TLDR man finds bug in Dark Souls 3 newest patch, that's nothing new, what he sets his video music too is magical however.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

FAROOQ posted:

favourite thing about yooka laylee
25% of their customer base said they weren't going to buy it with JonTron in it but would have anyway.
now 25% said they aren't going to buy it with him out but will do anyway.

How will we live without hearing garbled variations of "ech" coming out of some googled eye object.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kit Walker posted:

It's kinda weird thinking about the fact that chances are there's at least one actual member of the Yakuza who played one of the Yakuza games and got new ideas on how to gently caress a person up and actually went on to do it at some point

There's an article about a journalist gathering a bunch of Yakuza to play it and wrote down their thoughts.

Funny parts where when they agreed on the game's choice of which food and energy drinks heal better, how Kiryu's dragon tattoo was too modest, and that his suit was mostly spot on as a Yakuza save for the cheap looking red shirt.

Edit: found it
http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Mar 25, 2017

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

In Mass Effect: Andromeda, I have enjoyed the fact that first, I can jump on top of my spaceship and walk around on top of it.

And second, my pilot goes "Really, Ryder?" in an exasperated tone when I do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

There's an article about a journalist gathering a bunch of Yakuza to play it and wrote down their thoughts.

Funny parts where when they agreed on the game's choice of which food and energy drinks heal better, how Kiryu's dragon tattoo was too modest, and that his suit was mostly spot on as a Yakuza save for the cheap looking red shirt.

Edit: found it
http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

quote:

M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.

K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.

M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?

K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

:allears:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

This article is loving gold

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

God damnit I'm trying to not buy Yakuza 0 until I finish Zelda but all this talk about the series as a whole is making me want it even more.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got Night in the Woods today. Really like the art style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

God damnit I'm trying to not buy Yakuza 0 until I finish Zelda but all this talk about the series as a whole is making me want it even more.

get Yakuza 0 it is very good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ImpAtom posted:

get Yakuza 0 it is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz2k1PM_MNMk-ygchHL4yR4Mk2RbFFesZ

here's all the stuff i recorded of the game so far. it's a mix of combat, side stories, minigames, and dumb minutiae.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Mar 26, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Action Tortoise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz2k1PM_MNMk-ygchHL4yR4Mk2RbFFesZ

here's all the stuff i recorded of the game so far. it's a mix of combat, side stories, minigames, and dumb minutiae.

Would you call it a good first game to get into Yakuza with? It's a series that I've always wanted to play, but the ps2 ones are impossible to find at a price that's not $Obscene and the others were only on a $600 console. Now that I could actually get one, I'm kinda worried that it'll rely on me knowing who all these fuckers are from having played the 8 games that came before, even if it is a prequel.

edit: also would I miss out on any poo poo if I bought it used?

ShootaBoy has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Mar 26, 2017

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

ShootaBoy posted:

Would you call it a good first game to get into Yakuza with? It's a series that I've always wanted to play, but the ps2 ones are impossible to find at a price that's not $Obscene and the others were only on a $600 console. Now that I could actually get one, I'm kinda worried that it'll rely on me knowing who all these fuckers are from having played the 8 games that came before, even if it is a prequel.

as someone who's first yakuza game is 0 I'm enjoying the story and writing and don't know poo poo about the later games. it's pretty self-contained in that regard

I don't think it comes with any bonuses for buying ti new so go ahead

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

Got Night in the Woods today. Really like the art style.

Man you're in for a treat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Yakuza 0 is seriously genuinely a good game to enter the series with. It's a prequel and while you miss some call-forwards it is a self-contained story with no real backstory baggage.

Like the most you'll miss is some dude appearing in a sidestory who happens to be a guy from a future game.

And no, there's nothing to miss buying it used.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Nier: Automata:

Pod 042 getting fuckin' sassy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ShootaBoy posted:

Yes, it is a fantastic starting point. It's a prequel so it introduces three characters important to the series. Someone said you'd miss some references, and it's true, but don't sweat it. :)

The thing about the games are that they're very story heavy. VERY story heavy. Unlike GTA or Sleeping Dogs where you can boil the plot and missions down to commit heists and spy on the criminal underworld, Yakuza goes out of its way to introduce a bunch of characters and explain to you the hierarchy of the Tojo Clan and the characters' motivations are a conflict between their personal desires and the strict code they must abide as yakuza.

It's really easy to miss out important plot stuff, is what I'm trying to warn you.

There's a lot of text to read, especially with the side stories but it's worth it. Every one of them has charm, humor, and can be more poignant than most AAA games' plots.

As for other entries, I heard that they reprinted copies of Yakuza 2 for $50 to promote Y0, and that there's a remake of the first game out already. Hopefully Y0 sales will encourage Sega to localize it as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zelda: BotW lets you skip pretty much any cutscene and has special, briefer dialog if you complete quests before being asked (for example, lighting the furnace in Hateno with blue fire before talking to Purah or whatever her name is. Also, even the more generic objectives like climbing Sheikah towers are set up in such a way that every single one feels completely unique, with unique obstacles and challenges. Compare that to Far Cry 3 where every tower is a platforming "puzzle" so janky that they're all pretty much interchangeable.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

Man you're in for a treat.

I hope so, I just kind of bought it in a spur of the moment kind of thing but I'm really liking it so far.
The characters are really likable and the world is super charming.

Also I'm really bad at guitar hero.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
So I decided to play my first Zelda game since the NES original, and Wind Waker is super adorable. Link has the stupidest faces all the time and I love how everyone is so casually rude to him.

How has it taken almost 30 years to find out I like this series...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tony Bologna posted:

So I decided to play my first Zelda game since the NES original, and Wind Waker is super adorable. Link has the stupidest faces all the time and I love how everyone is so casually rude to him.

You started with the best one for characterisation. Link has never been as lovably dim as he is in Wind Waker.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

food court bailiff posted:

Zelda: BotW lets you skip pretty much any cutscene and has special, briefer dialog if you complete quests before being asked (for example, lighting the furnace in Hateno with blue fire before talking to Purah or whatever her name is. Also, even the more generic objectives like climbing Sheikah towers are set up in such a way that every single one feels completely unique, with unique obstacles and challenges. Compare that to Far Cry 3 where every tower is a platforming "puzzle" so janky that they're all pretty much interchangeable.

The best tower is the one south of the Castle, which has two Guardians set up around it. It feels like the levels from Donkey Kong Country 2 with the enemy that fires rockets at you from the foreground with a reticle to avoid. Super good.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Action Tortoise posted:

....there's a remake of the first game out already. Hopefully Y0 sales will encourage Sega to localize it as well.

It's getting a Western release this summer.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tony Bologna posted:

I had to scroll back up to see if this was a bioenchanted post

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I had to scroll back up to see if this was a bioenchanted post

Sorry, I broke the pattern - I've been playing Breath of the Wild too! I've ~infiltrated youuuuuu~ :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kit Walker posted:

This article is loving gold

It really is, I loving love this part the most though;

S: You got your salaryman in there, the delinquent school girl and her sugar daddy, Chinese people, and even those Nigerian touts. What's with all the loving gaijin (foreigners) in the area anyway? It used to be just Japanese, Koreans and Chinese.

M: Don't say gaijin. Say Gaikokujin. It's more polite. Jake's a gaijin.

S: Yeah, I forget sometimes. What's with all the loving gaikokujin in Kabukicho anyway?

Goddamn amazing. :allears:

e; Man I've only actually played the first Yakuza game now that I think of it, are the others all worth a look or should I skip to later ones? I liked it a lot and wanted more dumb bullshit to waste my yen on like pachinko parlors and whatever.

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Mar 26, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mister Adequate posted:

It really is, I loving love this part the most though;

S: You got your salaryman in there, the delinquent school girl and her sugar daddy, Chinese people, and even those Nigerian touts. What's with all the loving gaijin (foreigners) in the area anyway? It used to be just Japanese, Koreans and Chinese.

M: Don't say gaijin. Say Gaikokujin. It's more polite. Jake's a gaijin.

S: Yeah, I forget sometimes. What's with all the loving gaikokujin in Kabukicho anyway?

Goddamn amazing. :allears:

e; Man I've only actually played the first Yakuza game now that I think of it, are the others all worth a look or should I skip to later ones? I liked it a lot and wanted more dumb bullshit to waste my yen on like pachinko parlors and whatever.

if you have a ps3, definitely pick up Y3 and Y4. I haven't heard any good things about Dead Souls, so maybe avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the best parts of Wind Waker is that in dungeons, Link will often be looking at something, and if you point the camera where he's looking it's probably important to the puzzle in that room. Later games kinda did this but I think this was first.