Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

eatenmyeyes posted:

Repeatedly jumping while standing beside one makes it launch a helicopter thing. Any that you launch before going to Possum Jump are discovered by Mae and Angus.

Actually I think you need to activate all four to trigger the scene where you find them, otherwise it just gets skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
No, you only need one to get the scene - that's how it happened for me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I triggered three windmills and they found three notes, so I'm pretty sure the scene changes depending on how many you launch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow this game uh.. goes from 0 to 60 in no time near the end, huh. I don't know why I spoilered that but whatever.

I also did it in 4.2 hours so I think I missed pretty much everything there is to do :confused: -- Which bodes well for a replay because I feel like it should have been probably a few hours longer.

In any event, I kind of have that "I finished a game I invested some emotion into and I feel a little empty" thing happening right now.. Always hate that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Martytoof posted:

In any event, I kind of have that "I finished a game I invested some emotion into and I feel a little empty" thing happening right now.. Always hate that.

I hate that too! :cry:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Happened to me with Undertale, and it happened to me again with NITW. :sigh:

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Let it hurt.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Worth the wait tho.

The only thing this game needs is fast travel and skip the musician dreams in a replay.

I didn't notice it on the first playthrough, but when you light the torches it tells you where to go, part of the screen lights up. The first playthrough I was just kinda searching randomly.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

This game is really making me think of Deadly Premonition for some reason. I know that comparison is probably wrong and the two games are way different gameplay wise but something about the small town setting, increasing surreality, the oddness of the main character, and the way the final act intensifies is giving off a sense of not-quite deja vu.

Less coffee involved, though.

Oh God, Mae on coffee, the worst combination.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I didn't notice it on the first playthrough, but when you light the torches it tells you where to go, part of the screen lights up. The first playthrough I was just kinda searching randomly.

The place where you spawn in also shows you the relative positions of all the musicians with the little lampposts in the background. I never found those segments to be particularly challenging, just tedious and relatively devoid of content in a game so comparatively dense in exposition everywhere else.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Listening to this week's chapo trap house, they're talking with a guy from Pittsburgh about west Pennsylvanian disasters and man NITW really wasn't exaggerating about rich industrialists causing mass casualty events throughout the history of these towns (while donating a shitton of money to build libraries and public works)

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Listening to this week's chapo trap house, they're talking with a guy from Pittsburgh about west Pennsylvanian disasters and man NITW really wasn't exaggerating about rich industrialists causing mass casualty events throughout the history of these towns (while donating a shitton of money to build libraries and public works)
Were there any feelgood stories about their teeth being pulled out?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/846270293454848001

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Scott's said his original drawings were intended to be a wolf/dog but everyone said he was a fox so they went with that IIRC.

Is it because of Gregg's resemblance to the old Fox-Hound logo from Metal Gear Solid?:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

This review is amazing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Forgall posted:

Were there any feelgood stories about their teeth being pulled out?

Well, after a flood that killed 2000 people because rich industrialists bought a dam to turn the lake behind it into a hunting and fishing lodge while letting the dam itself fall apart, the survivors couldn't sue the rich people because no one of them could be proven to be directly responsible for the failure of the dam, so tort laws were rewritten so that people merely party to a collective action that resulted in a disaster could be held liable. Which didn't help any of the victims or survivors of course, but boy howdy the next band of ultra-rich assholes who buy up privatized utilities and let them decay into disaster sure thought twice*!

*they hired better lawyers

Yeah though I thought of NITW during that Chapo episode as well, there's definitely a bit of a blindspot in cities and the coasts for the history of class and labor struggles elsewhere. The election certainly put the spotlight on areas like the midwest and the need for rebuilding that connection, the game's weirdly timely in that regard.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Old people trying to get into heaven.

Does anyone else get a really long load time when they close the pamphlet stand with the yarn ball? It might just be my 'puter getting long in the tooth, but I still think that's a strange spot for a load time so long you start to worry the game locked on you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only place with weirdly long wait times for me is the church inner area.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Does anyone else get a really long load time when they close the pamphlet stand with the yarn ball? It might just be my 'puter getting long in the tooth, but I still think that's a strange spot for a load time so long you start to worry the game locked on you.

whatever the load time is, it's way too long for something that only changes like once throughout the entire game, and that's just to take one of the flyers away.

I still checked every day. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait when does it change?! I stopped checking after a few days.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait when does it change?! I stopped checking after a few days.

Once Harfest is over the Harfest flyer is gone.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you didn't play with the yarn ball every day your a busta

Actually I think Mae saying "Oh well that's just patronizing" in response to seeing the yarn ball for the first time is the only acknowledgement that she's a cat?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dolash posted:

If you didn't play with the yarn ball every day your a busta

Actually I think Mae saying "Oh well that's just patronizing" in response to seeing the yarn ball for the first time is the only acknowledgement that she's a cat?

Her dad calls her "kitten" but that's a plausible enough pet name even if she wasn't a cat.

Scott Benson has mentioned that the earliest versions of the game had a lot more animal people jokes and the like, but they cut almost all of that stuff a couple of months in because they decided it was lame. Presumably they just liked the yarn ball enough as a cute little side interaction unrelated to anything that it managed to survive.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been mulling over Angus's reaction to the cave in. I have the impression that his history of unanswered appeals to higher powers and the cult's accounts of productive prayer might have resulted in a combination of sympathy and contempt in Angus. I'm still trying to unpack and articulate some of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screw them, they were murderin' people down there!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Synthbuttrange posted:

Screw them, they were murderin' people down there!

Yeah that's about the gist of it. Angus has some pretty strong opinions on morality and belief, and the combination of superstition and abuse of others the cult was built around was probably offensive to him on a number of levels. He might not've actually been prepared to go Rambo on the cult if the accident hadn't happened, but I can believe him when he says if given the choice he'd decide to let them die down there.

I'm actually a little disappointed we didn't get the chance to see what they'd have done if the cave-in hadn't conveniently solved the cult problem for them. Would they have seriously considered the cult's offer? Investigated who was part of the group? Gone to others for help? Some people have compared the game to the movie Hot Fuzz, and an ending where you run around town fighting cultists and getting helped by the people you interacted with throughout the story might've been cool too, even if it wasn't really that sort of game at heart. I do wonder though if they might've considered a more expansive ending before development crunch, the ambush leading to cave-in feels like the sort of thing you write as a patch to a story you need to shorten in a hurry.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dolash posted:

Yeah that's about the gist of it. Angus has some pretty strong opinions on morality and belief, and the combination of superstition and abuse of others the cult was built around was probably offensive to him on a number of levels. He might not've actually been prepared to go Rambo on the cult if the accident hadn't happened, but I can believe him when he says if given the choice he'd decide to let them die down there.

I'm actually a little disappointed we didn't get the chance to see what they'd have done if the cave-in hadn't conveniently solved the cult problem for them. Would they have seriously considered the cult's offer? Investigated who was part of the group? Gone to others for help? Some people have compared the game to the movie Hot Fuzz, and an ending where you run around town fighting cultists and getting helped by the people you interacted with throughout the story might've been cool too, even if it wasn't really that sort of game at heart. I do wonder though if they might've considered a more expansive ending before development crunch, the ambush leading to cave-in feels like the sort of thing you write as a patch to a story you need to shorten in a hurry.

I feel like the implication is that without her friends/without Eide trying to do a murder, Eide is basically Mae in like, twenty years. It's not hard to imagine Mae getting desperate as she doesn't have any marketable skills and the town she can't leave dies around her. So it's appropriate that the thing that dooms the cult is basically Eide being a vindictive idiot gently caress-up who can't talk to people.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Trick Question posted:

I feel like the implication is that without her friends/without Eide trying to do a murder, Eide is basically Mae in like, twenty years. It's not hard to imagine Mae getting desperate as she doesn't have any marketable skills and the town she can't leave dies around her. So it's appropriate that the thing that dooms the cult is basically Eide being a vindictive idiot gently caress-up who can't talk to people.
Thus Eide being a cat with a notched ear.

The trick is to not take this line of interpretation so literally and so bizarrely that it winds up in the territory of Eide being a time-traveling Mae.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ── ██ ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ██ ██ ── ██ ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ██ ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ██ ── ── ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ██ ── ██ ── ▒▒ ── ██ ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ▒▒ ── ──
── ── ██ ── ── ██ ██ ██ ── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ──
── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ██ ▄▄ ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ▀▀ ▀▀ ── ── ──
── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ▒▒ ──
── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ▒▒ ──
── ██ ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ██ ── ── ░░ ░░ ░░
██ ── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ██ ── ── ██ ──
── ██ ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ██ ██ ░░ ──
── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ██ ██ ██ ── ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ──
── ── ── ██ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ▀▀ ▀▀ ── ── ──
── ── ── ▀▀ ▀▀ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ──
░▄███▄░████▄░████░░▄███▄░░▄███▄
██▀░▀▀░██░██░██▄░░██▀░▀▀░██▀░▀▀
██▄▀██░████▀░██▀░░██▄▀██░██▄▀██
░▀███▀░██░██░████░░▀███▀░░▀███▀

████▄░██░░██░██░░░█████░░░░▄███▄░░██░▄██
██░██░██░░██░██░░░░░▄█▀░░░██▀░▀██░████▀░
████▀░██░░██░██░░░▄█▀░░░░░██▄░▄██░████▄░
██░██░▀████▀░████░█████░░░░▀███▀░░██░▀██

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was there ever any real payoff to feeding your rats other than the achievement?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Was there ever any real payoff to feeding your rats other than the achievement?

The epilogue chapter reveals that your efforts have fostered a plague of rats upon downtown Possum Springs. Congratulations, you bringer of pestilence.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeahhh, I forgot.

There's actually a weird bug in the order of events in the game where if you go to steal pretzels for your rats on the day that they leave the nest, but BEFORE you go check on them and find that they left, Mae will be all "oh my babies have left the nest I don't need to steal this garbage anymore" but she hasn't actually discovered that they're gone just yet until you go up to the storehouse to see. Or I mean maybe she's psychic so who knows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I could never steal the pretzels in my game. I would just get the speech bubble that said "mm, delicious pretzels" and nothing after.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The way it should work is that Mae will just say "Mmm, delicious pretzels" up to the point where you find the miracle rat babies. I didn't find that area in my first playthrough (the platforming doesn't open up until after the construction worker fixes the streetlight in the town center). If she's not giving you the option of theft after finding the rat babies, then yeah that's a bug.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2017

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The epilogue chapter reveals that your efforts have fostered a plague of rats upon downtown Possum Springs. Congratulations, you bringer of pestilence.

or if you're being charitable, you take it as a "life from death" metaphor for the town.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, I never did the rat baby subplot. I probably would have just found that annoying, anyway.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Trick Question posted:

There's definitely the parallel ofEide looking like Mae. She shows a notable amount of empathy and understanding for them and why they choose to heed and obey the horror in the mine, especially since compared to her friends she has the strongest belief that the horror is real and might be bargained with. An important part of the story is immersing the player in the sort of dismal, dead-end environment that could believably produce a cult ready to do anything to fix it, and suggesting that Mae could end up like the cultists or was even groomed by the horror for membership is part of that.

But I don't think it was just luck that destroyed the cult and saved Mae and friends from following down their path. Beyond that her friends were there to support her (and they're having none of the cult's business), she emphatically rejects the horror when they meet in the water down in the well. That's an encounter that may have happened even if the cult had not been caved in, and certainly Mae didn't seem to have put together what they'd actually done yet. I think she was definitely vulnerable to them, the game's message is pretty clear about the temptation desperate people face in dwindling circumstances, but for all her flaws Mae has the strength of character and help from friends she needs not to fall into that.

How they'd actually pull off some kind of investigation or attack on the cult in the event they had to, I don't know. Heck killing the cult by accident might've just been the more believable story beat than Mae and friends suddenly becoming competent in the last act, but it's still interesting to think about.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Oh, I never did the rat baby subplot. I probably would have just found that annoying, anyway.

It was fun because the rat babies were cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's also fun noticing how Possum Springs becomes covered in rats. Not literally knee-deep in a sea of rats, but there are rats here and there pretty much everywhere.