Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Othello is the classic Nipponese game of love and loss actually.

I thought that was Shogi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr Cheeto posted:

horney 4 golf

SNK horny, so what?

Loopoo posted:

I meant losing out on a bucket load of money. 20 quid in the grand scheme of things for 3 weeks use and getting to enjoy a game on release date isn't bad, and I'm only losing that amount because that's the cut Amazon takes. It'd be like going into Blockbusters back in the day. My question was answered, I dunno why you're all getting so up in arms about this. Like why? It doesn't even affect you lot.

Loan it out to friends so they can play Zelda and then get it back when they're done.

Although you seem pretty resistant to buying Snipperclips, so maybe you don't have any friends.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is it a bad idea to sell a console if he's had his fun with it and unsure of any future games?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Takoluka posted:

you can be charitable and make bad decisions at the same time; they're not mutually exclusive

like, i can give my car to somebody who doesn't have one, and it would be very gracious, but if i'm like "welp, now i will have to get a new car," i can't act shocked when everyone says "why did you give away the car you had"

a car in many cases can be seen as a necessity, and even when it isnt strictly needed it is a tool which helps make many things easier. a games console is a toy.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hear Callie is still alive in the Splatoon port

Callie defected to help the Octarians after realizing that Inkopolis is monopolizing the world's zapfish supply. We help Marie lead an assault against them until we learn the truth. Eventually the single player campaign ends in a truce and playable Octolings.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Loopoo posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Who had the dumb idea at Nintendo HQ to make this a thing? 2017 and not being able to backup saves is just downright disgusting.

Why are you fixated on profits and losses? I'm not looking to make money. I'm looking to sell my Switch (in fantastic condition) at next to retail so someone else can enjoy it, instead of keeping it sitting in my living room going untouched for months, losing value. I'd happily sell it for 20 quid less instead of making some poor bastard pay more than retail cause I'm a greedy douche, especially since I've gotten 20 quids worth out of it these past 3 weeks.

it's not disgusting. i have my saves on my sd card, check the thread from a few weeks ago. they are on there because my switch knows its awesome and im awesome enough to not sell it and buy more games for it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Actually you continue fighting the Octarians, culminating in a final battle where you splat Callie while a piano version of "Bomb Rush Blush" plays.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stux posted:

a car in many cases can be seen as a necessity, and even when it isnt strictly needed it is a tool which helps make many things easier. a games console is a toy.

my friend, i saw a tweet where a guy ended up talking to a girl on a plane because of snipperclips

the switch is the only tool you ever need

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr Cheeto posted:

Isn't Othello that shovelware game that comes out on literally every platform?

If it is, I don't really care. It cost a few bucks and I can play it with the touch screen and it goes much faster than the physical game would.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

How is it a bad idea to sell a console if he's had his fun with it and unsure of any future games?

What's confusing is he seems like he wants to buy another Switch later in the year when other games and the Zelda dlc are out. I don't care what he does but I don't really understand what he's saying, his argument is basically he knows he's going to lose money but he just wants the satisfaction of knowing his Switch won't be losing value on his shelf? I don't get it. Functionally he'd be better off sticking it in a closet for 6 months and pretending he'd sold it. This is why people are confused.

If he doesn't want to buy another one disregard but then his actual question doesn't make sense.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Empress Brosephine posted:

I did exactly this with the original Wii. I bought it for Zelda, played it, nothing else was out so I sold it while it was still hard to find. When another game came out that I really wanted, I just bought it again (and then traded it for an xbox 360 when there was nothing else I wanted to play on it again). :shrug:

I thought about doing this with the switch but I don't really need the money (before with the Wii I was in college and could afford it, but money was a bit more precious then vs. now). I think long term it'll be a good system to have for on the go stuff. Just sucks that it's going to sit for a few months now after beating zelda.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm waiting for Amazon to get some consoles in since I have a small fortune in reward points. In the meantime I'm stocking up on accessories and crap so I can hit the ground running once I get one. I've got the screen protector and a microSD, and I'm going to sit on any additional controllers​ until I've used the thing for a while.

Now that it's been out for a bit, have you guys found that you like any particular cases or travel chargers or anything? I'm probably going to lug this fucker to work every day and may as well be ready for that too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Actually you continue fighting the Octarians, culminating in a final battle where you splat Callie while a piano version of "Bomb Rush Blush" plays.

Actually whether you fight Callie or Marie is based on your Paragon/Renegade value. Sorry, Squid/Kid value.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Ship the Switch to me and I'll enjoy Zelda and send it back to you when there are new games you want coming out. You get to keep your save and make someone else happy!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spellman posted:

Rumor at best

One out of every 500,000 Switch cartridges tastes sweet when licked. If you get a sweet tasting cartridge, email Nintendo and you win a tour of NOJ HQ led by Miyamoto.

edit:
lol at this Wii wiki post. http://wii.wikia.com/wiki/Yasuko_Miyamoto It's almost like she is a spy who hasn't been photographed in decades.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Isn't Othello that shovelware game that comes out on literally every platform?

Othello works perfect for the concept of the Switch, in fact, it would do a number of virtual board and card games very well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Welp. I guess i'll contact Nintendo about this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just think of it as getting closer to the action

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Meldonox posted:

I'm waiting for Amazon to get some consoles in since I have a small fortune in reward points. In the meantime I'm stocking up on accessories and crap so I can hit the ground running once I get one. I've got the screen protector and a microSD, and I'm going to sit on any additional controllers​ until I've used the thing for a while.

Now that it's been out for a bit, have you guys found that you like any particular cases or travel chargers or anything? I'm probably going to lug this fucker to work every day and may as well be ready for that too.

I'm in the opposite boat. I didn't think I'd be able to snag one for months so I was holding out on picking up accessories, but I managed to get lucky on Amazon the other day. Checked out Gamestop to see what they had after that and they literally only had lan adapters.

I'm interested in finding the best slimmest case possible to fit in my laptop bag which barely has any room in it, but these seem to be about as rare as the consoles themselves. Has anyone had luck finding cases in stores anywhere?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
IDGI is the screen sticking out?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

IDGI is the screen sticking out?

Ooooh yeah I think that's it. I assumed he had a screen protector and was all ok so.....?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So are any good / cheap cases back in stock yet? I want one with enough room for the charger, doesn't have to be super durable

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Welp. I guess i'll contact Nintendo about this.

How did this occur?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wendell posted:

How did this occur?

No idea. I was playing some Othello in bed and then I looked at it and said "Oh, the screen kind of sticks out." Then I pushed on it and it went down and I noticed the rest of the screen was flush. I don't know if the heat of playing zelda in the dock undid some adhesive or what. I was able to get a fingernail underneath the screen and then left it alone. I'll call Nintendo tomorrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

What's confusing is he seems like he wants to buy another Switch later in the year when other games and the Zelda dlc are out.

If he's not going to use it until then why have it around when he can recoup what he paid for it and have money that's actually useful to him?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

s.i.r.e. posted:

If he's not going to use it until then why have it around when he can recoup what he paid for it and have money that's actually useful to him?

Really, he can do whatever he wants with the system. Generally, the lot of us are saying that, if he intends to return to the console at a later date, it is in his best interests to hang on to his Switch, for matters of convenience and overall cost efficiency.

If he decides not to do this, he will probably receive some levels of criticism, but he is an adult who can make his own decisions. We will all get over it, and the decision made will be in his best interests. However, if any sort of "Well, I wish I hadn't done this" happens following his own Switch sale occurs, it will not be unreasonable for the majority of the thread to make fun of him for not taking the original advice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you really want to be cost efficient and only care about Zelda then a Wii U would probably be a better investment. You can also play the excellent Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD versions as well.

EDIT: I wish those would come to Switch. I'm the worst Nintendo fan. I'd buy literally every Wii U port.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 26, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

No idea. I was playing some Othello in bed and then I looked at it and said "Oh, the screen kind of sticks out." Then I pushed on it and it went down and I noticed the rest of the screen was flush. I don't know if the heat of playing zelda in the dock undid some adhesive or what. I was able to get a fingernail underneath the screen and then left it alone. I'll call Nintendo tomorrow.

Maybe it's a bug with Othello.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

The argument is that he wouldn't recoup what he paid, he argued he's fine losing some money so that the Switch isn't collecting dust. It seems like he's going to be in December and have spent a net $350 or whatever on two Switches so that he could have the personal satisfaction of not having it sitting on a shelf? Which, power to you if that's what you want, I just don't get it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My local Best Buy(Colorado Springs) just got some switches in, good hunting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

parallelodad posted:

Maybe it's a bug with Othello.

Unfortunately it also happens with Zelda. Othello must be some kind of virus infecting my other games.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately it also happens with Zelda. Othello must be some kind of virus infecting my other games.

Did you try rebooting?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I get not selling it since it's hard to find now, but that might not be the case when it decides to buy another one.

Tender Bender posted:

The argument is that he wouldn't recoup what he paid, he argued he's fine losing some money so that the Switch isn't collecting dust.

But he would? They're still selling well over MSRP on eBay. I don't think he'd ever lose money on it right now, but he just doesn't want it lingering around. I'd keep it especially if I was waiting on the Zelda DLC but I see it as reasonable to not want stuff hanging around without a use, and this is coming from someone who has a bunch of that.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I get not selling it since it's hard to find now, but that might not be the case when it decides to buy another one.

Depends on how popular the next games are. When Pokemon came out for 3DS, the 3DS pretty much disappeared from stores.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just to lay this whole issue to rest: I could straight up put the Switch up for sale on Amazon right now for 279.99GBP. I would be getting 95% of the cost back, cause Amazon takes 10 or 15GBP as their cut. I am more than happy with losing that tiny amount of money for a solid 3 weeks of use (it'd sorta be like me having rented the console for 3 weeks!). My reasoning behind selling it now is 1) I get a lump of money back I can use for whatever (even though I'm not in dire need of money) 2) I literally won't touch it for a long time cause I've exhausted Zelda and there are no games coming out in the foreseeable future that I want 3) There's literally no stock anywhere, my console is in great shape, it'd be nice to throw it out there at retail price to save some poor fucker succumbing to the horrid prices some people are selling the console for (people are putting brand new and used - like new consoles up for 350GBP).

All you lot talking about me losing money when I buy it again in the future, I don't mind if it's out of stock come the time I want to buy a Switch again. Only game I'd sorta be hype for is Mario Odyssey and Pikmin (if they release one), but not to the point where I'd die a little inside having to wait. I'm a huge Zelda fan so I wanted to get it on launch along with the Switch to try it out, but my intention from the get-go was to sell it on once I'd finished and had my fill of the game. Snipperclips is a good shout, but tbh me and all my friends in uni are hella swamped with assignments right now cause semester 2 is a nightmare.

So I dunno why you all seem to think I'd be losing heaps of cash selling it now when I really wouldn't be. And if 8 months down the line when I wanna pick a Switch up again but it's sold out, I really won't mind waiting since I got to try it out now, and I'm not anywhere near as hype for a game as I was for BotW. I could leave my console collecting dust but I am 100% certain I won't touch it again for ages. My life nowadays isn't spent binging video games, I mainly just watch TV cause I'm always too tired from work to play games, so I'd rather have that cash in my pocket now to spend on other stuff if I want.

Takoluka posted:

you can be charitable and make bad decisions at the same time; they're not mutually exclusive

like, i can give my car to somebody who doesn't have one, and it would be very gracious, but if i'm like "welp, now i will have to get a new car," i can't act shocked when everyone says "why did you give away the car you had"

This is dumb. Main difference between a Switch and a car is I actually need my car for everyday use. I can live without a Switch. I've had my fill of it, I got all the hype out of my system, I really like the console and I know if I wanna pick it up later down the line, waiting until it's in stock won't kill me.

Tender Bender posted:

The argument is that he wouldn't recoup what he paid, he argued he's fine losing some money so that the Switch isn't collecting dust. It seems like he's going to be in December and have spent a net $350 or whatever on two Switches so that he could have the personal satisfaction of not having it sitting on a shelf? Which, power to you if that's what you want, I just don't get it.

If I sold it now, I'd get 259.99GBP for it. I'd then buy it in the future (whenever that is) for retail price again. Meaning I'd have a net loss of 20 quid, which - again - for 3 weeks use really isn't that big a deal.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Loopoo posted:

Just to lay this whole issue to rest: I could straight up put the Switch up for sale on Amazon right now for 279.99GBP. I would be getting 95% of the cost back, cause Amazon takes 10 or 15GBP as their cut. I am more than happy with losing that tiny amount of money for a solid 3 weeks of use (it'd sorta be like me having rented the console for 3 weeks!). My reasoning behind selling it now is 1) I get a lump of money back I can use for whatever (even though I'm not in dire need of money) 2) I literally won't touch it for a long time cause I've exhausted Zelda and there are no games coming out in the foreseeable future that I want 3) There's literally no stock anywhere, my console is in great shape, it'd be nice to throw it out there at retail price to save some poor fucker succumbing to the horrid prices some people are selling the console for (people are putting brand new and used - like new consoles up for 350GBP).

All you lot talking about me losing money when I buy it again in the future, I don't mind if it's out of stock come the time I want to buy a Switch again. Only game I'd sorta be hype for is Mario Odyssey and Pikmin (if they release one), but not to the point where I'd die a little inside having to wait. I'm a huge Zelda fan so I wanted to get it on launch along with the Switch to try it out, but my intention from the get-go was to sell it on once I'd finished and had my fill of the game. Snipperclips is a good shout, but tbh me and all my friends in uni are hella swamped with assignments right now cause semester 2 is a nightmare.

So I dunno why you all seem to think I'd be losing heaps of cash selling it now when I really wouldn't be. And if 8 months down the line when I wanna pick a Switch up again but it's sold out, I really won't mind waiting since I got to try it out now, and I'm not anywhere near as hype for a game as I was for BotW. I could leave my console collecting dust but I am 100% certain I won't touch it again for ages. My life nowadays isn't spent binging video games, I mainly just watch TV cause I'm always too tired from work to play games, so I'd rather have that cash in my pocket now to spend on other stuff if I want.

This is dumb. Main difference between a Switch and a car is I actually need my car for everyday use. I can live without a Switch. I've had my fill of it, I got all the hype out of my system, I really like the console and I know if I wanna pick it up later down the line, waiting until it's in stock won't kill me.

If I sold it now, I'd get 259.99GBP for it. I'd then buy it in the future (whenever that is) for retail price again. Meaning I'd have a net loss of 20 quid, which - again - for 3 weeks use really isn't that big a deal.

Lol

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If anyone wanted to know what I'm doing with my Switch: its in my car and I'm going to take it home and dock it and kill Ganon. In the morning I'm going to put it back in my car and play FAST RMX during lunch.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

You just typed all of that.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I won't use this thing for a while so I'm going to sell it and then pay full price for it again so it won't be sitting around in the interim. This bothers me because fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Depends on how popular the next games are. When Pokemon came out for 3DS, the 3DS pretty much disappeared from stores.

True but if he's willing to take the risk, gently caress it, I don't see any other games making the Switch fly off shelves but Mario is coming out during the holiday so who knows.

• Locked thread